new metalheads thread

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
God I know. Some days when I really just feel like a waste of space I'll think "I just need something delightfully cheesy today". Always delivers.

Anyone got anything good from this year that they are listening to? Mostly looking for heavy / thrash / death / black / doom but i could listen to about anything if it was good.

Also omg Gammy Ray is my second favorite power metal band behind Helloween ;_;

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sorry man, but I just can't argue with I-91's verdict on this matter.

Also isn't Gamma Ray made up of multiple ex-Helloween members?

i feel like you missed one important band in that power metal list. and that band is manowar. you want cheesy? welcome, friend. but they do rock the hell out ! i have a thing for live albums, and gods of war live pulls through for me.

I really can't stand power metal, Euro power metal anyhow. It is just so fruity and doesn't interest me. U.S. power metal on the other hand has quite some stuff I enjoy such as Manilla Road or Omen.

Gamma Ray's primary member is Kai Hanson, who is ex-Helloween. No clue if anyone else in Gamma Ray is from Helloween though. On the topic of power metal for the most part I agree, in general the less serious a power metal band takes themselves the better, the genre is just so (awesomely) cheesy and good bands know this and play to it.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Surgo, I would recommend Ayreon (Possibly Avantasia as well), and maybe Symphony X (Dream Theater?), if the prog didn't bother you.

I'd also say Firewind if you want some Power Metal whose riffs grab you by the scrotum. Vocals aren't outstanding, but something about the band is appealing.

Not a huge fan of the genre in general, but there is one band not on the list that I can't go without, and that's Blind Guardian. I don't really consider it cheesier than say, DragonForce, whose lyrics I consider at the forefront of genericness... but if you're really not a fan of the whole fantasy angle then you may not enjoy them, since most of their songs are based off of parts of epic fantasy lit like LOTR, The Wheel of Time, ASOIAF, etc etc. Still worth checking out though, imo.

as far as power metal goes, angra is pretty up there. and i will agree that kamelot are very good, i need to get more of their stuff. i'm also generally quite fond of the whole symphonic metal thing, but haven't really been listening to it much as of late. then there's also the powery prog metal stuff like communic and ayreon which are quite good.
Anyone got anything good from this year that they are listening to? Mostly looking for heavy / thrash / death / black / doom but i could listen to about anything if it was good.
hehe doom wants some doom.

acid witch - stoned is good death / doom.
blotted science - the animation of entomology is some cool instrumental prog death.
decapitated you already know about obviously.
shroud eater - thundernoise is pretty cool sludge / stoner metal.
ulcerate - the destroyers of all i have told you about but i'm not sure if you've listened to it all yet.
weedeater - jason... the dragon is cool stoner doom.
yob - atma is fucking excellent stoner doom.
40 watt sun - the inside room is a must.

Bastard Priest - Ghouls of the Endless Night (punky/crusty Swedeath worship)
Acid Witch - Stoned (doom with death metal and psychedelic keyboards)
Absu - Abzu (actually haven't listened to this yet but Absu is always top quality black/thrash)
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (death metal)
Cianide - Gods of Death (death metal)
Deceased - Surreal Overdose (death metal)
Exhumed - All Guts, No Glory (deathgrind, Carcass worship)
Havok - Time Is Up (new wave thrash the good way)
Mammoth Grinder/Hatred Surge split (Mammoth Grinder is punky death metal, Hatred Surge is powerviolence)
Jesu - Ascension (pretty drone type shit- haven't listened to this much and not as good as previous material but eh)
Miasmal - Miasmal (crusties playing death metal)
Ulcerate - Destroyers of All (death metal)
40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room (somewhere between epic and Saint Vitus type doom metal)

Ghoul, Asphyx, and Immolation, who are deathgrind, death/doom, and death metal respectively, also have new albums later this year, and each rarely disappoints

new tracks by the first two:
http://downloads.tankcrimes.com/track/off-with-their-heads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_p8pWYsky0

Coffins also have a cover album where they cover sludge bands which is going to be out later this year; they've covered Eyehategod quite wonderfully before so i'm pretty excited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evuJlKuFhbQ (horrible sound quality so unless you've heard the original song it might be a bit difficult to follow)
blehhhhhhhhhhhhhh power metal
first two Blind Guardian albums + Sanctuary are all i'll ever need. and even Sanctuary wears thin on me at times.

i guess is should give some US power metal a few more tries if i like Sanctuary though, but can't be bothered. that said i consider bands like Manilla Road more traditional than anything, but that's a different argument entirely.

but anything symphonic in metal tends to be fucking awful.

on it's own topic i've been digging Master's first album the last few days. primitive as cave man shit.

Top 5 Favorite & Least Favorite Heavy Metal (Sub)-Genres? In no particular order

Favorite:

Traditional Heavy Metal
Thrash Metal
Death Metal
Doom Metal
Stoner/Doom Metal

Least Favorite:

Deathcore
Metalcore
Power Metal
Progressive Metal
Folk Metal

5 Favorite Metal Genres:
Black/Death Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal (redundant, no?)
Sludge/Doom Metal
Brutal Death Metal

Black/Death aka Blackened Death can really be classified as either/or I'd say. In that case I'd put Thrash Metal as the 5th.

dismember fucking split up

brb crying while rocking back and forth in the fetal position
Yeah that news made me sad, one of my favorite bands of all-time and my favorite band from Sweden. I'm sadden that I will never have a chance to ever see them live, despite the chances of the band having ever come to Georgia today was very unlikely to begin with.

i don't think they've toured in like three years to begin with... i think their last show was a festival in 08 but i don't really know. but they've been pretty inactive on all fronts for awhile now so i guess it's no big surprise.

I've been really addicted to "Painkiller" by Judas Priest and I was wondering if anyone had any tracks that sound similar to this. What with the big vocals, fast guitar and killer solos and wicked drum tracks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)