Gen 7 New Team--Weather Checker OU

Hi all

I created a new team and 'mon concept, and I want to have it critically evaluated, please. One Pokemon is here is non negotiable, unless it really needs to go, let me know your thoughts! The idea was that I wanted a Pokemon that could safely switch into any weather-inducer, and get off some chip damage, cripple it, or KO it. The choice may surprise you, but please take the time to read the explanation. The rest of the team are sort of built around this concept.

Lickilicky (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Cloud Nine Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Serious Nature
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Thunder Punch
- Seismic Toss

So! This is it! Lickilicky's role is to switch into the weather Poke and debilitate it. Let's start with one of the more prominent: Pelipper. Leading with Lickilicky immediately puts Pelipper at risk, neither build wants to take Knock Off or Thunder Punch, the former removing Damp Rock and Choice Specs, and the latter 2HKO both variants. If Pelipper stays in to a Knock Off, it's crippled, if it switches out, more often than not to either Kingdra or Mega-Swampert, then Swampert gets put into KO range of Power Whip, dealing at least 96%, to 113%. Kingdra loses specs. Importantly against Rain teams, Cloud Nine activates in the rain and nullifies all bonus rain damage and stopping Manaphy healing off with Hydration. Even Battle Bond Ash-Greninja cannot 2HKO this 'mon with Specs boosted Hydro Pump, and Lickilicky does 2HKO with Power Whip, doing at least 73%. It's Water Shuriken doing a measly maximum of 27.5%, if you land the Knock Off, not even 20%. Lickilicky is a great answer to Rain sweepers, Swampert cannot 2HKO in retaliation. This eases up a lot of pressure on the team. The shortcoming is that Lickilicky cannot switch into both mon's repeatedly given he has not passive health regen. Where he shines above Tangrowth is he fears nothing from Ice Beam/Ice Punch and can always fire back a super-effective hit or a Knock Off. If it was just rain teams to contend with, however, I would choose Tangrowth for longevity. However, I'm not because next we tackle Sun Teams.

Mega-Charizard Y is 2HKO'd by Thunder Punch and cannot even 2HKO with max investment Focus Blasts, and struggles to 4HKO with Flamethrower. This means Lickilicky can switch and threaten Zard multiple times throughout the match. Simply Knock Off anything Zard switches into and let counter-play unfold as it will.

Torkal is far more defensive that Zard, but Knock Off annoys these Sun teams because they want to maximise active Sun for their team. Seismic Toss helps to bite chunks out of Torkoal if he stays in doing a solid 29% each turn, with Lava Plume under Sun doing 12%, forcing a switch or a Yawn. A popular 'mon on Sun Teams, with this EV spread, Victini, cannot OHKO V-Create with a Choice Band or Final Gamit. He will always take a Knock-Off, essentially crippling this mon's usefulness for other attackers. V-Create with a Choice Band set does up to exactly 99%.

The only prominent Hail user in the tier is Alolan-Ninetails. Aurora Veil is the main function for using this Pokemon, and with Cloud Nine active, it fails to get up, wasting valuable Hail turns and putting herself in range of a 3HKO while she struggles to do 10%, forcing a switch and taking a Knock Off, limiting her effectiveness on the field, and by extension, the effectiveness of the team.

The given spread makes Lickilicky incredibly bulky, able to tank the strongest hits in the game and responding with a Knock Off, a strong super-effective hit, or respectable chip in Seismic Toss. With hazard control on the board, it's effectiveness is maximised, forcing switches or putting fragile sweepers in KO percent.

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Roost

Tapu Koko supports the team as it can be worn down by super-effective ground moves. A Shuca Berry allows it to 2HKO any switching in Gliscor or Landorus trying to absorb Thunderbolt or Volt Switch with HP Ice. Electric Terrain and works well in tandem with Lickilicky checking Yawn Torkoal and Alolan-Ninetails Hypnosis, helping yo boost the power of Thunder Punch for it and also providing a solid pivot for the team. Roost is chosen over Taunt to help it continue to facilitate the team and get some solid chip throughout the match. It also acts as a fighting type check for strong and fragile types like Mega-Medicham, Mega-Lopunny, and Hawlucha to avoid having to take damage on some of the other team-members who may be fighting type weak. Given it's fragility, Lickilicky helps support it by swallowing strong special type moves that would otherwise stop it doing its job.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Another solid way to check weather teams is, of course, to introduce weather of your own. Aside from switching in Mega-Tyranitar once the relevant checks on opposing teams to it have been pushed out (Mega-Swampert, Focus Blast Zard-Y, Pelliper (who can burn it on the switch), and Torkal (who burns with Lava Plume). Once in, you can safely Dragon Dance up. Ice Punch dents or KOs incoming ground types (Landorus-T, Gliscor), and Fire Punch hits Mega-Scizor, Ferrothorn, and other steel types that want to come in and check it. Stone Edge dents pretty much everything ready for cleaning. It's important to keep this 'mon healthy so you can pull off a sweep later in the game with Excadrill. As Excadrill suffers at the hands of Lando and Gliscor, it's important to remove them before setting up for the sweep. Tyranitar also Pursuits out any defoggers that don't want to take a super-effective attack, helps in the effort to withstand strong special-attack hits in conjunction with Lickilicky to ease pressure.

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill's role in this team is to act as the hazard cleaner, the team really doesn't want chip damage as it wants to tank some of the strongest hits in the game. He will always Rapid Spin first under Sand in an emergency. He is supported to switch in by my Tapu-Koko. In turn, he supports Koko by taking some Steel attacks aimed at it and responding back with an Earthquake for Heatran or Ferrothron. He can also Sword Dance when he gets the opportunity to help destroy some bulkier teams. Corkscrew Crash is the Z-move for Excadrill, allowing him to dent or kill incoming checks. Given the team's three times weak to popular ground types, they nearly all carry an answer to these attacks. This team might struggle to break bulky physical teams without Excadrill too, so he functions to do exactly that.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Given the team's weakness to fighting types, a blanket check to these is important: a 'mon who can check and cripple, or check and stall. Zapdos earns its spot here in this capacity by doing exactly that. He doesn't get 2HKOd by any attack from Mega-Lopunny, Mega-Medicham, Hawlucha at +1, or other Fighting type attackers. He also threatens a Paralysis by just roosting up, allowing any of the hard hitting slower 'mons in the team to come and do their job. Zapdos is chosen for the role to break through stubborn Ferrothorn who are defence-orientated, punish the Ground types that threaten the team, spread Burn or Paralysis, and be a decent wall for much of the meta-game. Discharge is boosted by Electric Terrain for extra chip damage, and no pyshical sweeper or wall-breaker wants to risk being crippled.

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Alakazam is preferred to it's non-mega form for the teams resistance to hazards, Leech Seed, and a good switch in for impending Burns or Toxics. His Psychic also hits harder than his mega form. When confronted with Choice Specs Lele (a 'mon who threatens to break either Mega-Tyranitar or Lickilivky--who is sometimes 2HKOd by Psychic Terrain boosted Psychic with an above average role, though fears nothing from Scarf Tapu-Lele), he out-speeds and revenge kills Lele. Then, he's protected from priority for a few turns and gets Psychic boosted even further. Hidden Power Fire is preferred to Hidden Power Ice for better coverage versus it's checks. Alakazam also checks Toxapex who may try to Toxic a member of the team, and combats the fighting types who may out-speed and KO the rest of the team.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to all comments!

Nathanielbroz

Last edited:
Hm nice idea but Lickilicky is simply deadweight against any other team than Rain. And even against rain, while it might work out once to get a surprise KO or knock some items, it gets worn down pretty quickly, especially against Ferrothorn. Most sand teams usually don't have a bad matchup against rain teams anyways - especially when paired with sturdy mons like Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Rotom-W etc. This team from blunder or this team from zomog are good examples. While its always cool to see players inovate and find cool ideas - I don't think Lickilicky is a viable one.

Also regular Alakazam is not really viable - there are just too many good checks to it and it gets outclassed by many others - Reuniclus for example which could help your team to really take on threats like Medicham or Lopunny!

Hope I could help a bit :)

Yo ! I looked at your post and decided to help you, hoping that with my advice the team will be better.

I immediately notice that the team is focused on the core TTar + Excadrill (like a sand team) + with the addition of Alakazam
In this regard, I will try to train everything on this choice.
Not having a good Water resist in a Sand Team precludes a large deficit at the building level, therefore I propose you a change almost obliged to be able to face this lack.

Tangrowth helps a lot vs Greninja, Tapu Fini and the Rain Teams, able to create threats especially in adverse weather conditions. I propose to replace him instead of Licky as he is not very viable in the metagame in OU. The set that I propose is similar to what you thought for the substitute, AV is right for you.
It is useful to check also AV Magearna or remove their AV against the opp's Tang especially if in the presence of an Alakazam.

Another flaw that I can notice concerns the low speed control, I find myself partly in agreement with inserting Tapu Koko also against Celesteela, but in my opinion Magnezone with the set with the Scarf allows Trap better an annoyer lik Ferro and maybe kill a Kartana that has been locked on the stabs by relieving the pressure on Zapdos.
So much between Alakazam and Excadrill, Toxapex you should manage it well and without problems.

Let's move on to the SET changes:
First of all I would give the Mega to Alakazam taking even more advantage of the team's offensive power, perhaps with the CM set in order to have more advantages against stall teams. Without forgetting that he can coin Mega Swampert's ability and outspeed him in end game if there is in range to kill.
Ok, last but not least I would say that it is not possible that a competitive team does not have a setter, Exa does so much for this function, Stealth Rock over DD to encourage the role of entry hazard.
The set that I propose for Tyranitar is AV to eliminate Latias, CharY, Tornadus T and Volcarona, moreover it provides better support and reliability on Heatran.

Optional: Volt Swith on Zap over Discharge to have better momentum for the offensive power guaranteed by the sand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)