ORAS NU New to NU! First NU team RMT!

(Read my post #4 for a more recent update)​

To start off, let me give a quick and relitively unimportant and uninteresting short story that details why I decided to start learning the NU tier. For the longest time, I have mainly stuck to the OU tier, and I have always been mediocre at it. The funny thing is, though, I did better before I actually knew the tier very well and got much higher on the ladder. But now, I can barely break the 1200s when before I was running around the 1300s and even getting near the 1600s. So now I thought, "Ya know, I remember back when I just jumped right into the tier blindly and just battled it out and somehow racked up wins. Maybe I can recreate this and try another tier!" So my tier of choice was NU, a tier that has interested me for a while. So I pulled up the viability rankings, pulled out some 'mons that interest me, and made a team! And just through a few battles, I have learned some of the tiers features pretty quickly. But my fear of having a good thing crash down because of my lack of knowledge has drawn me here. I want to actually get good at some tier, and whenever I feel like I finally am, realization hits me hard. So here I am, only a few battles in with this team and only one loss out of around 10 and already feeling stressed from fear of losing, crushing my hopes for being good and giving me much mental anguish. So here's the team, give me critique and general info on the tier, and hopefully I actually get it right this time. So let's go!

My Team:

(Did all this work on an iPad, and ever since the recent update, the Internet is a pain to use. Couldn't get the good sprites, so just imagine Typhlosion, Seismitoad, Heliolisk, Archeops, Cryogonal, and Virizion all in a line staring at you. Thank you for understanding and I'll fix this whenever I get to a computer.)
Typhlosion (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Typhlosion was my first choice as a mon. Me and Typhlosion go way back, as Silver was my first game and Typhlosion was my first Pokemon. Since then, my Silver has gotten that little fun save-deleting glitch and my Typhlosion has been lost in time (my condolences to anyone else who experienced this tragedy). But with Typhlosion being good in this meta, I can now honor my good ol' friends memory and build a team with him. Typhlosion so far has put in work. Good revenge killer and not much likes switching into its eruption. Fire and Focus Blast are shaky when it comes to dependability, but eh, what are you gonna do. Standard spread, nothing special. And just a few more days until it will get Flash Fire! Once it does, it will further be a great asset to the team.

Seismitoad (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Seismitoad has proven to be a very dependable SR setter. It's bulk is good and can switch in to many physical threats, tank a hit, and can scare them with a burn from scald. Earthquake can put pressure on Caracosta, which is great cause otherwise it really puts pressure on my own team, especially if it's Jolly and Virizion is hurt. Used to run Toxic, but this team is a bit too offensive to see it benefit from it. Thus, I run Knock Off to bother switch-ins. He makes the main switch-in to fire type moves, as my team doesn't like it otherwise (still can't wait for Flash Fire!) Again, standard spread with standard lefties for the recovery it much needs and greatly desires.

Heliolisk (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot

Funny story, through the first 6 games (which I won), I was running max attack rather than max special attack, and it still put in work! Now with the correct investment, it is still doing much of the same. I honestly don't know if Heliolisk will last in NU for long, cause from my experience, it is a hard threat to handle. While free switch-ins can be hard to come by due to its poor natural bulk, if you get it in, the combo of Volt Switch and Grass Knot makes your opponent wary of switching anything into it. It has great power and the momentum it gives can make anything you switch into an easy kill if your opponent so desires to not switch. To my embarrassment, I just realized what it's ability is, so it also is a good check to Carracosta if the Carracosta isn't Jolly. So there's that. Also, when Typhlosion gets Flash Fire, it will help it with the bad side of its ability.

Archeops (M)
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Roost

By this point, I needed a physical attacker. Thus, I chose Archeops. I like Archeops. It makes for a good taunt lead, and it can punish certain threats to the team. I honestly don't lead with Archeops too much, leaning towards Seismatoad as my most-used lead. But Archeops is a good lead to sleep-inducing grass-type leads that Seismatoad isn't doing anything against. But from my experience, when I predict the sleep lead, I don't get it, and when I predict a typical SR lead and lead with Seismitoad, they lead with the sleep lead. Just my luck. Regardless, Archeops has its uses and does its job.

Cryogonal @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Recover

So when I saw I needed hazard removal on the team, I wanted Rapid Spin cause SR on the opponents side of the field is invaluable and SR on my side of the field makes Typhlosion sad because Eruption becomes meh quickly. So I looked at the Viability Rankings for the best Rapid spinner. And I saw Cryogonal. I was very skeptical of Cryogonals ability, but theoreticly, I knew it would've a good fit. This reason is because it handles special and bulky waters that Archeops, Typhlosion, and Virizion (you'll see why) that they don't like and can switch into special grass types that are plentiful and are struggles for Heliolisk, Seismatoad, and Virzion. And on the flip side, Seismitoad covers its poor defense and protects it from Aqua Jet as well as fire moves. And oh yeah, when Typhlosion gets Flash Fire, that will help as well. The spread is pretty standard. HP Ground to make Rock-types think twice when switching in. Now, for the odd thing you may have noticed. I run Safety Goggles as the item. It used to be Leftovers, but I quickly learned that this tier loves sleep inducers, especially for grass-types. This caused problems, as switching in Cryogonal to take on the grass types was fruitless as it would just be put to sleep. Sleep inducers were so anoying that I was thinking of ways to handle it. I thought of putting Sleep Talk on Typhlosion, but that wouldn't be very usefull, as sleep talks unpredictability mixed with Fire and Focus Blasts inefficiency isn't optimal at all, the possibility of using Eruption at low HP is stupid, and losing coverage is meh. Using Virizion isn't a good switch, as it can't do much against the grass types, and if the inducer is SD Jumpluff, Virizion is going down. So Safety Goggles is what I decided, and it doesn't disapoint. Grass types go from a problem to easy to handle, as I'm sure Safety Goggles isn't that common and will be a good surprise. So, as much as I've talked about it, you can see my concern for it is gone and is now a great contributor to the team.

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

This is the SD Lum Virizion Set. I needed a Physical Attacker and a partner with Typhlosion for a secondary Win-Con. Virizion does this pretty well. (Not to mention, when Typhlosion gets Flash Fire, it will make a better core, as it forms a better bond between the FWG core on a more defensive level) SD makes it a scary attacker, and it's typing isn't bad defensively as well. Lum protects it from burn, basically inviting the opponent to burn it to get a free SD. And hey, if I can such into something that tries Knock Off and that Virizion can force out, I can easily get Virizion to +3, which can sweep freely if the opponent has no checks. Spread is simple max attack and speed. Close Combat is basically a must-have. I run both Stone Edge and Zen Headbutt over Leaf Blade because grass coverage is already present well enough, and Freeze-Dry hits the things that Grass coverage hits as well. Rocks are handled with Close Combat. I also want a better way to handle Garbador, so Zen is the way to go. So far, Virizion has been quietly sitting on the bench not doing much because most of the games I've won didn't need him. But I imagine that won't last much longer.

Conclusion:
I feel this team has potential. I just need some input on things I can change, such as EV spreads and moves. If you have team-changing suggestions, I'm all ears and would be glad to test it out. And if you could give me general advice for the tier, I would be glad to hear it. Thanks for looking at my team and please give anything you can!

Last edited:
Wow, a fanastic first team, congrats Bostonl1!

Since all of your sets bare one are strong, I can this list will be really short followed by possibl e changes you might want to make structure wise.

The one main change one of your mons moves would be heliolisk. Generally, Surf > Thunderbolt on Heliolisk. This move allows for the 2hko of Mega Steelix, the biggest NU threat in the current meta. Losing one of your stabs isn't that important since you would volt switch claims all the lives tbolt would anyway. But otherwise good jobs on your sets, they all work.
You also might want to consider Specs Typh over Scarf and Extrasensory over Focus blast for hitting yama but that's not too big a deal right now.

My main concern is the fact you don't have a psychic resist or a full on Fire spam check as of right now. This is why I will reccomend Nasty Plot Ninetales over Typhlosion. This would be step 1 to solidifying your team to Fire mons thanks to flash fire. Its immense speed tier also allows it to sweep consistently and psyshock does wonders for beating yama after some residual damage.

Now I would like to address your lack of fighting resists. Therefore I would like to suggest Calm Mind Musharna over Archeops. A potent threat in the current Never used meta, mushy is a great mid game sweeper breaking teams that have no way to kill it. If you do go ahead with this Mon you have a selection of two items. Lefties and Colbur berry. Colbur berry reduces your knock off weakness allowing you to check Fighters more easily but lefties makes Musharna a more potent sweeper

Mozilla (Ninetales) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Nasty Plot

Musharna @ Leftovers/Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell/Signal Beam

gl! HJAD

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree with HJAD on running Musharna over Archeops, but I don't think that Calm Mind Musharna is the way to go. If you do run Ninetales, you'll have two "bulky" set Pokemon that can break through defensive/bulkier teams, so you don't really need to run Calm Mind on Musharna. Instead, I'd recommend running a pivot set with Baton Pass to gain momentum. Your team is pretty offensive, and you really don't want to lose momentum every time the opponent brings out a Fighting-type. Baton Pass allows you to bring Musharna into offensive Fighting-types and then immediately regain momentum.

I'd also personally run Surf over Grass Knot on Heliolisk rather than over Thunderbolt, but that's really a matter of personal preference.

There's probably some more room for changes. You might want to try something else over Cryogonal if you decide to use Ninetales over Typhlosion, but your team doesn't look exceptionally weak to anything with Musharna and Ninetales over Archeops and Typhlosion. If you do decide to replace Cryogonal, I'd recommend something like Muk to beat Calm Mind Mega Audino and absorb Toxic Spikes, but that change is up to how you feel about Cryogonal.

Good luck with the team!

HJAD ; @ hollywood:
Thanks for the rates! I will be testing out those sets, and will be using pivot Mush. On Cryogonal, I will test the team both with it and one with the suggested Muk. On Muk, any set you could suggest? Also, down the line, would Flash Fire Typh be able to replace the current Ninetails? They both are still different regardless of sharing Flash Fire, so I was wondering if Ninetails would still be better on the team once Typh gets Flash Fire.

Once again, thanks for the help!

It's been ten days, so I'm gonna give an update on the current team. The new additions to the team are:

Typhlosion replaced by:
Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Nasty Plot

Ninetails has proven to be a good addition as a set-up sweeper. It remains as my answer to Calm Mind MAudino, as it wins the boost war and resists its STAB, so that is nice. I don't have too many complaints.

Archeops replaced by:
Musharna (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Psychic

I love this Mushy! It's ability to capture momentum so easily makes it so worth puting it on the team. Love the suggest!

I tried the AV Muk set over Cryogonal, but it didn't do too much, tbh. MAudino isn't the most fun thing to deal with on this team, but Ninetails does it well enough, and as of now, MAudino isn't too common, so running Muk can be deadweight at times. Maybe I'm just not using it right, but that's just my feelings. Now, if Mega Steelix does in fact get banned, I imagine Mega Audino will gain more viability and will be seen more often. So maybe then Muk will be worth it. But for now, I just don't see it and I keep Cryogonal.

A few threats that I am having problems with are Malamar and Swellow. Malamar is difficult because even its Choice Sets are problems to switch into. Seismitoad isn't bad, but if it is weakened, it can get ran over by Superpower. Musharna can't effectively switch into it, as Malamars Dark-typing makes Musharna a sitting duck. Even if it is Choice-locked into Superpower, I can't really do anything except to try to PP stall it. And this is assuming it is Choice-Locked. If not, it could just keep boosting until it can knock Mushy out with its Dark-STAB. And then I have a real monster I have to deal with. I could run Signal Beam over Heal Bell. That would help, but would there be a better switch to handle this threat?

Next is Swellow. Swellow can take this team on quite easily if the team is weakened. If Mushy is handled by the opponent, then Swellow can have a field day. It's high speed-tier is the real problem, which brings me to my next suggest:

This team is begging for a revenge-killer. Typhlosion was that, but the switch to Ninetails took away that role. This team overall has no priority at all. So if you are faster, I'm in trouble . So I really need a revenge killer with either Choice Scarf or some kind of priority abuse. And this kind of segways into my next, and rather major, suggest:

Looking at this team, I realized something. When I went out to first build this team, I was looking to make more of a offensive-balanced team. But now with the changes and me rethinking this team a bit more, I realize I have the basic backbone for a Hyper Offensive team rather than the balanced team I was playing it as.
To show my thinking, here are a few roles that typical HOs have: Mushy as bulky pivot, breaker in the form of Heliolisk, two potential sweepers in Ninetails and Virizion, and I obviously need a revenge killer, which is an essential part of a HO team. Now, as it is right now, this isn't a HO team, so things need to change. In example, I don't have a typical HO lead. Seismitoad isn't built for it, so that needs to change. Cryogonal is more of a Bulky-offense fit, as it has two Momentum-killing moves and two meh coverage moves backed by meh offenses. With that in mind, let me build the outline of a New HO-team built around the current components, along with roles that need to be filled:

1.) HO Lead
2.) Heliolisk (Wall Breaker #1)
3.) Wall Breaker #2
4.) Musharna (Bulky Pivot)
5.) Virizion (Sweeper)
6.) Typhlosion :) (Revenge Killer)

So this is the new build for my team. Virizion is the Sweeper of choice, Typhlosion returns as the Revenge Killer, and its all glued together with the Pivot of Musharna. I need a lead, which with my lack of knowledge in NU, I need help finding a good fit. Another "breaker" is needed as well.

For Mushy, here is my thought. HO is largely momentum-based, and carrying both Heal Bell and Moonlight is pointless, as they should never be used. So my thought is replace Heal Bell with Calm Mind and replace Psychic with Dazzling Gleam (to smack things like Malamar and have no immunities, as well as not dealing with Signal Beams horrendous coverage). This makes Moonlight not as useless as it would be otherwise. It turns Musharna into much more than a pivot, which makes it even more of an asset to the team. Now, Mushys first priority is to be a pivot, but if the the situation is right, Mushy can add a role to its resume.

Lastly, when Heliolisk gets banned (as it will and should), what would be a good replace for it. Obviously, this is based on the team and it may have to change other members of the team as well, but I just want to look ahead to the future.

Thanks for reading this lengthy update. Please help. any and all advice can help. I look forward to see what you guys suggest!

I thought I was going to mention this but I guess I didn't, but I was going to disagree with HJAD's rates because if you change your team as such Sneasel 6-0s your team with no questions asked. You have no way to revenge fast threats. I honestly would say T-wave over Heal Bell: your team doesn't need it anyways because it's a pretty offensive team. Colbur > Leftovers will also help with that, too.
Ya know, I had a battle with a guy that brought a lot of spectators, and I remember one guy saying that he saw the RMT and said the same thing you said about the team being 6-0ed by SD Sneasel, so I'm gonna assume it was you. There was so much chatter going on that I just eventually ignored it, focused on the battle, and was gonna go back and read through the chat again. But I'm so fast at clicking the "x" without thinking out of habit that I didn't get to go back and look at it. Regardless, I do see your point and will take it into consideration. Thanks for the input!

I am on phone right now so a quick rate. If you're going the HO route I suggest Archeops as your lead because it provides you real momentum and prevents any dual screening, spikes setting or any bulky sweeper which looks annoying to your team. For your pivot I'd recommend Rocky helmet garbodor with explosion so you don't have to bother with a spin blocker. It also checks Sneasel since LO+ Stealth rock+ Rocky Helmet gets it worn down really quick. It also provides a way to punish Hariyama with a layer of spikes. Switch Typh with Ninetails imo as to deter fire spam. Ninetails can set up on grass and fire types while virizion can set up on water types.Finally I'd recommend scarfed Mesprit with healing wish so you can revenge kill things like swellow, tauros, archeops etc. and also give a second life to another of your mons. Also a secondary check to gurdurr who could theoretically get past Garbodor if it got enough boosts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)