Nidoking (Choice Band)

I'm surprised nobody's made a set like this, but here we go!

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/nidoking

This got Band
Nidoking@ Choice Band
Adamant/ Jolly Nature
Ability: Poison Point
252 Attack/252 Speed/ 4 HP

Sucker Punch
Focus Punch/Megahorn
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Comments:

This is Basically the Physical Set on Steroids. However it is designed to play differently. With Banded Sucker Punch it can become more of a revenge killer. Besides, Nidoking always like that big boost in power, though it comes at the cost of keeping to one attack.
With Choice Band instead of a Life Orb, many 2HKOs are turned into OHKOs.
Some Calculations to compare to:

LO Nidoking Earthquake to Muk (One Curse): 68.1% - 80.2% (OHKO after SR and Spikes)
Banded Nidoking Earthquake To Muk (One Curse): 78.3% - 92.8% (OHKO after SR)

Banded Nidoking Focus Punch to 252/252 Bold Chansey: 169% - 199.1% (Clear OHKO)
Banded Nidoking Sucker Punch to Support Claydol: 55.1% - 64.9% (2HKO)

Sucker Punch for the plentiful Psychic Types in UU, who may or may not switch. If they do (and you have good prediction), Focus Punch plays mind game with the opponent: If they switch, they get a Focus Punch off of potentially 466 attack. If they DO attack, banded Sucker Punch always hurts.
Earthquake is a staple on most Nidoking sets, getting Stab of of a srtong base 92 Attack. Stone Edge creates a Ground/Rock combo, which hits most of the metagame for neutral damage. Lastly, Megahorn stops most grass types cold in UU, specifically Meganium (who is OHKO'd after SR and Spikes), and Tangrowth (all sets get at least 2HKO'd; SD and Mixed are OHKO'd afer SR. Specs has a good chance of being OHKO'd after SR and Spikes.)
Basic Choice Band EVs are fine here, though I put the remaining 4 in HP since that would help with SR in the long run if It's up.

If anyone has any ideas post them below!

You need to prove to us / explain why the ability to choose your attack is worth the extra .2 multiplier. Being locked into either Earthquake or Sucker Punch is always a bad idea, too.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thund asked me about this in his Nidoking update, and I asked him not to include it because Nidoking has excellent coverage, but easily walled individual STABs. On a Pokemon like that, I would prefer Life Orb every single time. CB is worth nothing more than a mention in AC for the physical attacker.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Well, while the set may be bad as it is and Natgeo gave up, I just want to clarify if CB Nidoking is a bad choice in and of itself. Otherwise, yeah, I would have just closed and moved it.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As I mentioned earlier, Choice Band on Nidoking is a poor option 99% of the time because a) it's easily walled despite excellent coverage, due to both fairly mediocre power and a shitty secondary STAB and b) Life Orb grants similar power while preventing Nidoking from being immediately forced out by an EQ-immune switch-in, letting it leverage its superior versatility and decent speed (and often its mixed attacking stats, too).

your calcs are kind of weird. not saying that they're wrong, but seriously? Chansey isn't staying in on Nidoking in fear of Superpower. Sucker Punch usually won't hit because Claydol is going to be screening/SRing or whatever. And Muk?! Muk!? Also, being locked into Focus Punch or Sucker Punch is a really bad idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)