SM UU No Heart [Xatu Screens]

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Introduction
I have always been a fan of niche playstyles like Screens and Aurora Veil but this time I was inspired by vivalospride's UUPL game against Lycans, in which he used Feraligatr + Screens to beat down his Lycan's team. I wanted to try my best on Feraligatr + Screens because I saw how effective it was on that game. I am really satisfied with the result as it gained a lot of popularity on the ladder and people started to respect the playstyle as a whole.

The Team

Xatu @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Xatu is an unorthodox Screens setter that faces competition from Azelf. I personally prefer Xatu over Azelf because it has access to Magic Bounce, which prevents an opposing Defog from removing your screens. Xatu is also ultimately bulkier than Azelf, with investment (Azelf cannot afford to invest in bulk as much as Xatu can because it relies on its Speed stat to function properly). For example, max HP Azelf is usually OHKOed by Choice Scarf Hydreigon while Xatu is never OHKOed by it, which meant it can Thunder Wave it and proceed to set up a screen. The EV spread allows it to live 1 Dark Pulse from Choice Scarf Hydreigon, as well as a Choice Band-boosted Bullet Punch from Scizor into another one after Reflect.

Krookodile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Despite solely being the team's Stealth Rock setter lead, Krookodile brings a lot of utility to the team. Firstly, it prevents opposing hazards from being set up together with Xatu thanks to Taunt. Secondly, it provides the team with an Electric-immunity and a Ghost-resist, which makes certain matchups much easier. Thirdly, it is a very reliable Stealth Rock setter so it's almost always going to set up Stealth Rock and severely weaken an opposing Pokemon. Lastly, Intimidate can generate a free turn for one of the setup sweepers of the team to set up.

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias is a staple on hyper offense teams, and especially on Screens teams; not only does it provide an amazing wallbreaking and sweeping capabilities to the team, but it also provides a lot of utility, similarily to Krookodile. Its typing allows it to beat opposing setup sweepers like Celebi and Lucario, which would otherwise be threatening to the team, and it is also able to check annoying Water-types like Volcanion and Alomomola. This set, in particular, gives Latias amazing coverage and allows it to lure in Steel-types and weaken them for the other setup sweepers of the team.

Linoone @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 148 HP / 248 Atk / 8 Def / 88 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Stomping Tantrum
- Seed Bomb

Linoone doesn't need a lot of explanation, I feel. It does what it did about a year ago under Aurora Veil - it tanks every hit, sets up Belly Drum, and sweeps the opposing team as long as the Steel- and/or Rock-types of the opposing team have been either severely weakened or eliminated. The EV spread makes it so Linoone survives Mega Aerodactyl's Stone Edge, Latias's Draco Meteor, and Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock, as well as Hydreigon's Draco Meteor and Choice Band Scizor's U-turn from full HP.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Superpower

Similarly to Latias, Scizor is a staple on both hyper offense and Screens. The amount of utility and sweeping capabilities this Pokemon provides to the team is insane. It is the main check to Fairy-types like Mega Altaria on the team, and similarly to Latias, it lures in Steel-types for the rest of the team to clean.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Liquidation
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Despite being the last member of the team, Feraligatr is the star of the team. It is able to break through common cores like Rotom-H + Krookodile + Scizor/Doublade with its amazing coverage, offensive stats, and the help of screens that adds to its good natural bulk. It is able to function as either a mid-game breaker or a cleaner, and it is also the main check to Steel-types like Scizor and Mega Aggron on the team.

Threats List

- this is not an auto-loss because Linoone is able to bypass Alomomola + Blissey + Quagsire, but all the other sweepers lose to that core pretty easily.

- bulky Water-types that beat Latias are annoying to the team because that's my main check to Water-types. Bulky Primarina walls Feraligatr, which is my second Water-type check and is immune to Latias's strongest STAB, and Empoleon can take on Latias and Defog the screens. I usually hope I don't get burnt with Scizor to deal with Primarina and I bait in Empoleon with Scizor to eliminate it.

Showdown Live

Importable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)