Nowhere Fast

Hello, and welcome to my first OU RMT since... well, a long time. First, here's a sort-of long introduction that I have decided to hide for the convenience of those who just want to look at the team.

So, BW2. It does seem like a bit unimaginative, but then again, names such as Orange, Grey and Racial Harmony (school joke :p) may have raised a few eyebrows. But this is an RMT, so I'll pointlessly describe the also unimaginative metagame it brought.

Well, there are undeniable good points. Stuff like the revival of the elemental punches, 4th gen tm moves like Stealth Rock and Drain Punch, etc. But also the bad points, the insanely hard to kill Tornadus-T, the ridiculously hard to survive Thundurus-T, the obscure Keldeo and Meloetta, and, worst of all, the stupid amount of boring rain teams they bring to accompany them. You just can't start laddering without 3 in every for teams having a Politoed, or a Tornadus, or a Breloom, and after a while, it just gets boring. That's why this RMT is called Nowhere Fast - because I never got anywhere before I became so bored with the current metagame that I decided to retire it. The team has had some OK levels of success, certainly more wins than losses, and it is - was - hilarious fun to play. So please enjoy the rest of the RMT, and if you did choose to read this, I congratulate you for having such patience - God knows I don't.

Team at a Glance

Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
Ahh, Thundurus-T. One of the good things BW2 brought along. This thing is just a boss, even if no-one wants to admit its clear superiority over Tornadus. That said, I've not yet used Tornadus, so I suppose I can't really say that. All comparing aside, Thundurus-T functions as so many things on my team, such as scout, revenge-killer, paralysis absorber and even late-game cleaner. Why would anyone want to use the giant green pigeon over this thing? (Thing is probably the most accurate description of this thing) Thundurus murders rain teams lacking an appropriate counter to it, and this is often my MVP in most matches (that's a stinking lie, but it does feel like it a lot). Its ability may not be as effective as Torndaus-T's, but the ability to sponge up Thunder Waves is invaluable, especially due to the Stealth Rock weakness it has.
Obviously the EVs are... obvious. Max SpA to dent something and max speed to make good use of Choice Scarf. The moves are equally self-explanatory - Thunderbolt is his main STAB and incredibly deadly off of 145 base SpA, Hidden Power Ice to round off the coverage, OHKOing Breloom and nearly all popular dragons these days (hint hint wink wink at Salamence), Volt Switch for the excellent scouting properties and Focus Blast for taking out common BoltBeam resistors such as Magnezone and Mamoswine and is my best weapon against Tyranitar and the like.
Thundurus's bulk means it is difficult to bring in on anything, and I can never sack it. Of course, that doesn't mean it's impossible since two immunities means it is a very good team player, though works best as the supported rather than the supporter.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic
As per Jirachi's proposition, I have replaced Rotom with Gastrodon. As my key water resist, Gastrodon plays a huge role in countering the many rain teams in the metagame, not least being a great check to Keldeo. Outside of rain, Gastrodon is also a fair Dragon counter and is even capable of stopping Thundurus-T (so long as it doesn't have Grass Knot). I would greatly appreciate a Heal Bell user to compensate for the lack of status absorption Gastrodon has, but with Recover and Heatran to back it up, I can easily mitigate this problem. Gastrodon is my go-to counter for every Electric and Water type there is, and is very capable of tanking most of them, stopping any random Volt Switches in the process. This is, of course, important, as Gastrodon is also my only user of Ground STAB on the team.
The EV spread allows Gastrodon to tank most Dragons and Keldeo's Secret Sword, though it does trouble me when a +2 Thundurus hits 66% health damage with Psychic. With moves, Earth Power and Ice Beam are my attacking moves, fully using any Storm Drain boosts I can obtain. Recover is solid recovery, and Toxic is to wear down any pokemon I can't simply destroy with the rest of my team.
Gastrodon is a great replacement for Rotom-W, countering rain much more handily and certainly being around for a while. It is a great team player courtesy of its limited weakness and ton of resistances and immunities.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Spd / 244 SDef
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
Not much walls the new stuff better than Bronzong. I still remember Bronzong back from Pearl, the most annoying living ancient Egyptian bell in all the land. I vowed I would never use him as it annoyed the hell out of me, so I'd rather not annoy other people in the same way. Now though, everyone's annoying me, so I thought I'd give Bronzong a whirl - and what a machine it is. Definitely one of the few pokemon that can forever wall Tornadus, and of course he's my Stealth Rocker, which is very important in any metagame. He will take on a myriad of stuff that can be thrown at him, Tornadus, Thundurus, Salamence, Mew, Conkeldurr etc. etc. Dual Screens only makes him worse to deal with, giving my two big boys in the back a chance to create some havoc. Despite this, Bronzong can't do much in terms of damage, since Psychic is the only move I'm running. I have considered a three attacks set, but Dual Screens is a huge boon to the team.
The EVs give him as much SpDef as he can muster, with 12 Spe to boot, which allows me to outspeed similar spreads of the same base speed. No-one runs any more that 8 spe when running a bulky spread, so I can easily get up some screens against Reuniclus, Slowbro or Amoonguss. The moves I have mostly explained, Stealth Rock is a huge help against the new Therians, Volcarona, Salamence and Dragonite, Dual Screens gives Bronzong some lasting time, and Psychic is a good attack for stuff like Breloom, Tornadus-I, Gengar and Cloyster.
Bronzong has never seen a better light I think, being such a straight-up counter to Tornadus, as well as so much more. Maybe if more people used Bronzong, we could beat that wretched pigeon back to the abyss.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 12 Spd / 252 HP / 244 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
Now my sun and sleep counter, specially defensive RestTalk Heatran is such a great mon. Oddly enough, Heatran is my Breloom counter, or at least the sleep taker. In fact, Heatran takes on a fantastic number of mons that would otherwise go right through my team, such as Breloom, Venusaur, Lilligant, and Volcarona. He also functions as my phaser, and status absorber (except Thunder Waves). A lot of matches I can turn around simply by throwing random Lava Plumes around, and eventually burning something. Stealth Rock + Roar is both old and basic, but it works, and Heatran is the the only mon with a phasing move here (Thundurus's Volt Switch doesn't really count).
I should add more defence for beating Breloom more reliably I know, but being such a special Tank is great, especially when my other special tank has no recovery and no way of doing anything to anything. As far as moves go, Lava Plume hits and burns like a final boss on a Sonic the Hedgehog game (I knew Heatran reminded me of something), and the RestTalk combo is great for beating sleep abusers, and provides instant recovery at the same time. Roar is more of a filler move that helps me flush out Volcaronas and other set-uppers.
Heatran is truly a mon of the centuries, a great special wall and status absorber, and sticks around forever. Whenever you need a sun counter, look no further.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Recover
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
Reuniclus is getting rarer, which is probably a big cheer for stall teams. No matter, as Reuniclus is still a solid Calm Mind abuser in this day and age (1/8/12) thanks to its reliable recovery and Magic Guard ability. Calm Mind is easy to set up with when you have this much HP, and the aforementioned traits, and soon, Psychic and Shadow Ball by themselves will hit like bloody bombs. But that's really it, Reuniclus is so old now and with nearly no upgrades from BW that there's no wonder it's falling out of popularity.
There's the 12 Spe again, same reasons, different pokemon. Max Def as I am going to be Calm Minding a lot, which will soften special attacks anyway. Calm Mind, Recover and Magic Guard combine to make Reuniclus an incredible set-up sweeper, especially on the deadly Ferrothorn. Psychic and Shadow Ball may be walled by the Dark type alone, but with a few Calm Minds under its belt, they still do enough. Psychic over Psyshock since I don't really want to lose to Bulk Uppers, and the higher base damage always helps.
Ahh Reuniclus, the symbol of the old BW metagame, still capable of fighting in the new games. But please, don't come back, I don't want CM Reuniclus adding to any more of my worries.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Spd / 244 SDef
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
Star of the show and deservedly so, it's Conkeldurr! I know, Conkeldurr/Reuniclus is donkey's years old, but at least Conkeldurr has a new toy - Ice Punch! Now it can destroy Gliscor and kill dragons and still has super-effective coverage on the Latis. With Dual Screens up, Conkeldurr can Bulk Up on nearly anything and will simply blow stuff to bits. Gliscor, Virizion, the Latis, Thundurus, Salamence, Dragonite etc. all get brutally murdered by Ice Punch, and I'm not short of fighting coverage either. Drain Punch is more than fighting STAB, though, it's also Conkeldurr's most immediate form of recovery, which is important. What makes this more important is Conkeldurr's Guts, which takes nearly any attempt at wearing Conkeldurr down and turns it into incentive for a demonic killing machine to suddenly mow down the opposition - though we all know this bit. It's Ice Punch which is Conkeldurr's fancy new toy.
The same deal again with the EVs, though sometimes I do regret not having more attack. Regardless, the ability to tank a Latios's Draco Meteor is often well worth the pay-off, though being unable to KO back can be disastrous. Bulk Up is the main reason for the set, allowing me to strengthen Conkeldurr's attacks and re-enforce its Def too. I've already gone through Ice and Drain Punch, so Mach punch is more of a last ditch effort to take something down or simply put some damage on it.
Well, Conkeldurr didn't get much from the game switch, but it didn't draw the short straw either - it did at least get Ice Punch. It's still a great mon and I think it could easily be a game-changing mon if people wouldn't fear ze green pigeon of doom.

So that's the team, thanks for reading, and feel free to rate, hate, steal, and make an illegal profit from selling it over ebay! (Not Amazon, they suck for giving me a broken LeafGreen cartridge >:(

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi

This is a great team however there are a few things that can really, really hurt it badly. I think that the biggest threats to your team are Choice Specs Keldeo and Rotom-W. Both are immensely powerful Water types and their Hydro Pumps just mow down your entire team. Keldeo in particular can pretty much OHKO your whole team after Stealth Rock in Rain with the exception of Rotom-W, which is outsped and 2HKOed by Hydro Pump extremely easily (does around 70%). You can beat it with Thundurus-T on the revenge kill but sincerly, I doubt it's going to stay in to get pummeled by Thunderbolt when it can come back later and take down something else from your team. Rotom-W is pretty much the same. To be fair Choice Specs Keldeo is insanely hard to switch into because it 2HKOes pretty much everything with Hydro Pump, even stuff like Latias. It's important for a non-weather team like yours to be prepared to take some boosted Water typed moves so I think you could really use Gastrodon over Rotom-W. Gastrodon can switch into Hydro Pump easily because of its Water immunity, thanks to Storm Drain, and can simply switch out to the appropriate Pokemon when it uses another move. It allows you to make Keldeo think before moving and that's really important if you don't want to get swept by Hydro Pump. Besides, Gastrodon also further improves your only Water resistance to an immunity so most Water attackers will have a much harder time against you because they can't just use absurdly high powered moves to get past the resistance.

Your Reuniclus set could use a bit of improvement too, as Shadow Ball is rather useless. Focus Blast is a much, much better idea to run even though its accuracy is bloody terrible. This is mainly due to what likes to switch into Reuniclus. With Shadow Ball, Scizor, Tyranitar and Blissey just completely wall Reuniclus and beat it 100% of the time, while with Focus Blast, you can actually OHKO Tyranitar, do a lot of damage to Scizor on the switch, and get past Blissey. Shadow Ball on the other hand is rather useless. It allows you to beat other Psychic types, and quite frankly, most of them are beaten by Psychic after a couple of boosts anyway, with the exception of Latias. Tyranitar and Scizor are much more common than Latias and if you really, really don't like it, you can carry Psyshock instead of Psychic to win the Calm Mind war. This should also really help Reuniclus against Stall teams because there are a lot of stuff, like Skarmory, that you can't threaten at all without Focus Blast and that just ruins your efforts by phazing you away. Reuniclus' main goal is to break Stall teams anyway so that's a big bonus.

Aside from that cool team, Reuniclus is the boss. Here's the set you should use:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Storm Drain
Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover

Good luck!

Thanks for the rate, that Gastrodon could be a good mon to try, though I will miss the bulky electric, it will be good to have a water immunity.

As for Reuniclus, I was running Focus Blast before Shadow Ball, but Psyshock over Psychic to compensate seems like a good plan.

Hello Fantom0! This is a cool team, it's awesome to see someone use Conkeldurr, he's awesome!

Anyways, I recommend you switch to a Timid Nature on Thunderus-T. This allows you to always outspeed and revenge kill Jolly Scarfed Haxorus, Hydreigon, and Salamence. (Also allows you to of course revenge kill a Haxorus and Salamence with one Dragon Dance, as right now if they get up a dance it'd be hard for you to stop them). Seriously, Thunderus-T is so powerful a Modest nature isn't needed, but the extra speed helps with revenging powerful threats.

I also recommend you do what Jirachi said and switch Rotom to Gastrodon. Gastrodon helps immensely against Rain Teams, soaking up those Rain boosted Hydro Pumps, and is great against big water threats like Keldeo. He has a much more effective recovery with Recover, which is more reliable than RestoChesto.

Well that's all I have to say, cool team!

Ahaha, thanks, Conkeldurr's a boss!

Alright, the Modest Nature really helps with the damage bonus. Few plus speed Dragons exist in my experience, they're usually neutral speed DDers or plus speed scarfers which I can play around easily. The number of times I've scraped a 50% damage attack is high, so unless the popularity of Jolly DD Salamence suddenly spikes up, I'll stick with Modest.

As for Gastrodon, I'm still testing it out, I'll put it in if it truly outmatches Rotom, since I'm a bit worried I'll lose some immediate offense with Gastrodon over Rotom.

Thanks for the rate!

Replaced Rotom with Gastrodon. Still not sure about the changes to Reuniclus's set, my team is really struggling to get past Slowbro without Shadow Ball handy.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Hey,

You have a cool team, but it's weak to some Special Sweepers like Mew, Gengar, Latios or Reuniclus, considering that your main ''counter'' to them, Bronzong, can't simply damage them due to it's only offensive move being Psychic. While you will be losing Dual Screens, I think you could use Specially Defensive Jirachi over Bronzong. Jirachi basically checks everything Bronzong did but it can actually deal damage and defeat threats like Reuniclus, and it can also pass Wish to its teammates. Losing Dual Screens isn't that worrysome because Reuniclus and Conkeldurr are already very bulky and don't really need Dual Screen support to set up. Here's the set:

Jirachi@Leftovers | Serene Grace
Careful Nature | 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Iron Head / Body Slam / Wish / Stealth Rock

Another thing I would consider is using Psyshock over Psychic on Reuniclus, which will allow you to get past Calm Mind wars against pokemon like Latias or Slowbro, which you consider to be a big threat to your team, and it allows you to beat Blissey without having to resort to Focus Blast bad accuracy.

I see that Bronzong is really doing a heavy weight on your team. Though I must say, it is easily taken down by powerful attacks because it doesn't have a good recovery and it cannot hurt other pokemon due to its low attacking stats. I suggest Espeon over Bronzong. Sure you'll lose out one hell of a bulky poke (and a green bearded chicken counter), but then you'll have more speed, power, and the ability not to get Taunted. It can also threaten Slowbro with Grass Knot or Shadow Ball. Depending on the coverage move, you'll lose to certain pokemon but it's worth the trade. Also, your team doesn't have a spinner so Magic Bounce can be put to good use by bouncing the hazards back to their faces. Also, Gengar could annoy your team and force lots of switches. Psychic can take care of it.

Espeon@Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Moveset:
~Reflect
~Light Screen
~Grass Knot / Shadow Ball / HP Fire / HP Fighting / HP Ground
~Psychic / Psyshock / Morning Sun

@ DestinyUnknown, Jirachi may be a good idea. Wish support would be helpful, but the one thing I will most most is Levitate, since my loss of Rotom means I have few safe switches into Mamoswine apart from Bronzong, and Jirachi would mean that I would have massive difficulties dealing with it (Conkeldurr takes well over 50% from a Life Orb Earthquake). I'll try Jirachi if I can find something to counter Mamoswine better.

@ pwnage77, same as above, except my team has absolutely no problem with hazards since 4 of my pokemon are unaffected by (Toxic) Spikes and only one of my pokemon is weak to SR. Bronzong is a solid counter to Gengar being able to switch in and safely take it down with Psychic, whereas Espeon cannot switch into a Shadow Ball without being decimated. The main problems with Espeon are its fraility and the fact that it won't guarantee SR.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey! Nice team!

You do have a pretty bad weakness to special sweepers such as Tornadus-T, Latios, and Thundurus-T. Instead of switching a whole pokemon out, I'll recommend something much more unusual and unexpected yet effective.

To start off, your Heatran set needs a bit tweaking. Though Spore is a very useful tool on Breloom, some people ditch it for Swords Dance, and should your Heatran switch in on a +2 Atk Breloom, well things won't go as well. Even still, RestTalk Heatran can take spores, but it still can't handle Breloom. Breloom really isn't much of a problem anyway; you have Bronzong to knock it away with Psychic. RestTalk isn't a very good strategy for Heatran, because it already suffers enough from 4MSS. Instead of Rest and Sleep Talk, I would recommend using Stealth Rock and Toxic. This allows you to cripple the opponent with status, and set up rocks as they fail so scratch your firey hide.

Now that Heatran carries the burden of SR, Bronzong should use Trick Room instead. I noticed how none of your pokemon (bar thundurus) exceed 80 base speed, and all of them are slow yet powerful tanks. Trick Room on Bronzong is just what Conkeldurr and Reuniclus need to sweep.

Great team, I hope I helped!

@ Electrolyte, Breloom is extremely easy to play around: if they carry Spore, I go to Heatran, and if they don't then it is zero trouble since Thundurus-T OHKOs usual SDLoom with Hidden Power Ice. Rest is extremely helpful on Heatran regardless since Heatran possesses no instant recovery outside of Rest, and Sleep Talk pairs nicely.

And for the benefit of everyone I'll just add this: Bronzong is capable of tanking almost all the threats I see thrown at me here. While it is true it can't do anything back, it can set up the appropriate screen so a partner can handle it. Bronzong is fine, it does not need changing until I can get a better Mamoswine counter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)