np: NU Stage 2 - Part of Your World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, I'd rather run natural cure altaria tbh, status is a lot more common than weather, but if you were running heal bell support altaria than cloud nine would be better (is cloud nine even legal with heal bell though?)
Altaria is pretty good right now imo, not a whole lot is running hp:ice since special attackers would rather hit golem and quagsire harder than altaria. I've been using the bulky DDance set and it's been working really well although the Choice Specs and the support set do seem cool.
Also SD Victreebel even outside of sun is a beast, with STAB leaf blade and a fighting resist he can just walk all over bulky gurduur a lot of people rely on to stop physical sweepers. Sleep powder is also really good, but if i see 1 more tangela i swear im gonna start running sludge bomb.

I love Altaria but haven't used it in anything but a supporting role.

How would this set be:

name: Special Attacker
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 3: Power Swap
move 4: Roost
item: Life Orb
ability: Natural Cure
nature: Modest
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe

Just like the Dragon Dance set, Altaria's Special Attacker set has amazing coverage as well. Strong STAB Dragon-type moves are very powerful in the RU metagame because few Pokemon can switch into Altaria and not be decimated by its perfect coverage. Draco Meteor is the STAB move of choice due to its 140 Base Power, which Altaria definitely needs since it only has a base 70 Special Attack stat. The second move depends on your preference. Fire Blast has the higher Base Power to compensate Altaria's mediocre Special Attack, but Flamethrower is more reliable. Power Swap passes the -2 Special Attack drop from Draco Meteor to the opponent and can possibly steal your opponent's offensive stat boosts. This helps prevent constant switching and deters your opponent from setting up on Altaria. Roost helps heal off the Life Orb recoil and works well with Altaria's natural bulk.

Courtesy of: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3458801

I'm really liking Physically Defensive Effect Spore Vileplume right now. It takes resisted hits pretty well (Fighting, Grass) and frees you a team slot to absorb toxic spikes for those teams who lack a grounded poison-type/spinner. You can even run Aromatherapy support to boot. What I like most tho is its new DW ability: Effect Spore. The random 30% chance of your opponent being poisoned, paralyzed, or worse being slept for the duration of the match is really helpful at times. And oh, 100 Base SpA does not hurt either. On my current team, I use Plume w/ a good defense core and I'm surprised how many switches the opposing team makes, good w/ hazards support.

Can I just say that Miltank is the most annoying fatass bitch cow I've ever had to deal with? Heal Bell is super annoying, especially late game. Its bulk is incredible, and just annoys the hell outta me since I don't employ a Fighting-type :(

Can I just say that Miltank is the most annoying fatass bitch cow I've ever had to deal with? Heal Bell is super annoying, especially late game. Its bulk is incredible, and just annoys the hell outta me since I don't employ a Fighting-type :(
Miltank is the reason I always have a Fighting-type. It just walls the hell out of me otherwise thanks to that ridiculous bulk.

Something I tried for a while was giving Miltank enough speed to outspeed Jolly Absol which is 152 evs without a boosting nature or only 56 with a boosting nature. ( With 116 with a plus nature Miltank can outspeed Magmortar as well) Absol doesn't bother Sucker Punching what is normally a wall, can't get a Sub up. I can't remember just now what sort of investment miltank needs to actually KO stuff but the sheer suprise factor of a speedy miltank seems to net at the very least some momentum.

I've been using Rotom-F more recently, it just seems to preform better than Rotom-S thanks in no small part to Blizzard which actually allows it do proper damage to Ground switching. The random freeze also feels a lot better than flinching shit to death.

Brb making a team around Miltank to annoy the fuck out of Omicron, seriously you just noticed how much of a troll it is now? The fatass has been trolling since 1999 :P

Personally, I use Sap Sipper over Scrappy. I enjoy the free +1 from people recklessly using grass moves (they're very common from my experience O_o) and Misdreavus and Haunter are not all that common either, so I can safely switch it in without worrying about getting walled.

So I just wanna say, leafeon is a boss with base 110 attack, 95 speed, near perfect (metang >___<) 2 move coverage, swords dance and either quick attack or synthesis. Oh and he has that epic base 130 defense which stops absol from revenging him with sucker punch.

I'd also like to hype togetic - with eviolite and roost it is incredibly bulky and has an excellent support movepool. SR weakness holds it back though :[

Also Omicron the fatass cow doesn't bother me since I have perish song misdreavus, perish song is by far the best move he can run in the 4th slot btw.

Also Omicron the fatass cow doesn't bother me since I have perish song misdreavus, perish song is by far the best move he can run in the 4th slot btw.
Agreeing that perish Song is a greatly underutilized move (although I actually use it on Altaria so that kinda ties in most of the above posts). It's great for handling last mons on team that are otherwise difficult to hard counter, such as Duosion or Misdreavus, as well as to give a set-up mon that turn he needs (whether it be Shell Smash, Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, Substitute, etc.). It's just a good move on bulkier or more balanced teams that can't afford a counter to everything.

idgaf people need to use moar rain

kthnx

bye
no no don't listen to him, he's crazy. But seriously rain beats me almost every time. People are so under-prepared for it.

Also where did all the Sawk go? During my times laddering it almost seems non existant, its still a great pokemon. in fact Missy usage has dropped from what I've seen so it should be rising. It is a great cleaner(since as soon as their psychic type dies its easy pickings) and you can't even kill it in one hit if you keep rocks off the field. Although that is easier said than done with mesprit around... anyways use more rain, use more Sawk. They are good

I've been using banded Sawk lately and it is amazing! It rips apart most pokemon while taking big chunks out of Mesprit and other bulky psychics. In my opinion Rotom-S outclasses Sawk in the scalf department, being able to check Gorebyss as well as the birds which is probably why you've seen less of it.

Omg that gym was so hard T.T

Fucking cow

There has to be some other Fighting-types other than Sawk and Gurdurr...

Probably not as good but still.

EDIT: Machoke...?

:(

Other than Gurdurr & Sawk, there's Throh which is a lot harder to use because of the lack of hazards other than Stealth rock. Emboar and Combusken. Then there's Monferno, but Monferno looks terrible to me.

Omicron how can you Combusken? It's one of the few special attacking Fighters in the tier. Emboar really isn't my style, since it's basically a spam recoil and stat decreasing moves until dead kind of mon. Throh is actually not that bad, the trick with him is to wait for something that's set up bait to come in and start accruing boosts. Monferno is a crappier Combusken in all honesty, Gamefreak really needs to diversify their Fire starters come 6th Gen. Fire / Electric type please!

There's a dearth of Fighters anyway. The most viable NFE is Gurdurr, unless you're into Mankey or something like that. :/

And a Fire/Electric would be 4x weak to Ground while alleviating none of its weaknesses, except that it can hit Water-types super-effectively. In other words, Rotom-H.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
idgaf people need to use moar rain

kthnx

bye
Agreed though I haven't tried NU rain yet. Sun is pretty powerful too! Absol is irritating for weather teams though :/ but that can be circumvented by using sub etc. Trick Room teams are a nightmare for weather teams x.x to stall TR turns you have to stall your own weather as well :/ and recommended ways to bypass TR?

On a lighter note, I tried playing HAIL for a while... Yea HAIL. x.x Blizzspaming is hard with Water-types jumping in here and there and with bulky mons such as Miltank everywhere.. Cryoganl is pretty good though! Uninvested Blizzard still hurts. Hail + TR seemed good on paper but it's too hard to set both without perma hail. The only notable one to do this is Jynx... Rotom-F is pretty amazing with hail. Stealth Rock weakness comes along with using a hail team but I rarely had problems with SR because Blizzard just deters common SR users such as Golem from setting them. That's just from some of my hail experience... I wish Volbeat gets Hail :(

oh and Fighting-types seem to always be a good fit for weather teams... Especially Choice Band Sawk. Way better than Choice Scarf :/

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I use Sap Sipper over Scrappy.
Thick Fat all the way for me (on the defensive set, at least). Taking less than 20% from that Ice Beam or Fire Blast that would have OHKOed my Tangela? Feels great.

Sawk does seems to be dropping in usage, maybe people are adjusting to the Band set > Scarf? I find Band Sawk a little harder to fit onto my team, if you know what I mean.

Also, Combusken is pretty good Omi. I got swept by a Swords Dance one a while ago, it was much stronger than I thought it'd be.

Does anyone else find Emboar horribly unwieldy as a Fighting-type? Awful Speed tier, crappy Superpower as its only option (ehh Brick Break) and the SR neutrality + tons of switching = why am I using this over Sawk?

What exactly does Throh have over Gurdurr?

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
To elaborate, why would I use Throh when Gurdurr is available? Throh only has higher HP, Circle Throw, and Storm Throw to differentiate itself.

Gurdurr just does everything better. It does Bulk Up better with Drain Punch and Mach Punch (Drain Punch makes up for the lesser bulk), it has Hammer Arm (a stronger Fighting-type STAB move), and its Attack is higher.

Throh seems outclassed IMO. Maybe it can run a Choice Band set? Save for Circle Throw there seems to be no reason to use it at all.

Throh has access to Earthquake, if that matters any.

And Throh also has Revenge, which would be stronger than Hammer Arm, if Throh goes last (and with it's speed, it's likely to).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)