np: OU Suspect Testing Round 3 - So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's the point. What's the difference between this and specifically running Hail, Rain or Sun to get rid of Sand Veil? Either way, you're running a mediocre replacement to more reliably defeat something (not to mention Rock Slide can miss too).
The difference between what and running weather moves to get rid of Sand Veil? The only way the mediocre replacement is acceptable is if the greater reliability applies to all Pokemon, not just ones with a specific hax ability.

Rock Slide can miss, but it's still a more reliable alternative to Stone Edge. Besides, as I said, there's also the matter of the choice between Flamethrower and Fire Blast, and Flamethrower cannot miss under normal circumstances. It's far more appropriate of an example, and it's one where Pokemon such as Heatran do frequently choose the weaker but more accurate move

Is it just me or are we going to back to another phase like Latias Dppt where Choice Banded Pursuiters have become super appealing? Let's face it, Deoxys, Reuniclus, Tyranitar, Lati@s etc. have become so annoying and the big 3 Metagross, Scizor, and Tyranitar are looking pretty good like they always do in Ubers for the same reason. Im not saying these pokemon are broken because "the big 3" have an Uber niche in the OU metagame, I actually like it as an aspect of OU.

Is it just me or are we going to back to another phase like Latias Dppt where Choice Banded Pursuiters have become super appealing? Let's face it, Deoxys, Reuniclus, Tyranitar, Lati@s etc. have become so annoying and the big 3 Metagross, Scizor, and Tyranitar are looking pretty good like they always do in Ubers for the same reason. Im not saying these pokemon are broken because "the big 3" have an Uber niche in the OU metagame, I actually like it as an aspect of OU.
Interesting.

Most CB Persuiters can't OHKO Renkulus if it stays in, I belive, while they take heavy hits from it. Renkulus probobly wouldn't switch out from Tyranitar, it would just Focus Blast it.

Also, CB Persuiters were not popular in the Latias era, except Scizor, which existed... ever since Plat. Choice SCARF persuiters found popularity, namely, Scarf Tyranitar.

Tyranitar@Choice Band (252 EVs, +Nature) Crunch vs Rankurusu (252/252 EVs, +Nature): 89.6 ~ 106.1% (380 ~ 450 HP)

Only a 38% chance to ohko. So it's actually in favor of rank, since it ohko's back with a cm.

Rankurusu (4 EVs, Neutral Nature, +1) Focus Blast vs Tyranitar@Choice Band (180/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 108.8 ~ 128.4% (420 ~ 496 HP) (Sandstorm)

Unless you drop all speed and hp for sp def in which case it's a 57% chance factoring in miss chance... and no SR or spikes.

Rankurusu (4 EVs, Neutral Nature, +1) Focus Blast vs Tyranitar@Choice Band (4/252 EVs, Neutral Nature): 97 ~ 114.6% (332 ~ 392 HP) (Sandstorm)

^^^ It's actually not in favor of Rank. A Rank at 11% health is not going to be sweeping much. It's so slow that freaking Roobushin out-speeds it, and just about anything can do 11% damage. You have a 57% chance to lose Tar, but a 100% chance to stop a Rank sweep.

Rock Slide is more reliable than Stone Edge in virtually all instances, making it a viable alternative, just like how there are many Pokemon that use Flamethrower instead of Fire Blast. Acrobat is just as reliable as Aerial Ace against everything without an Evasion boost.
How often do you see something use Rock Slide over Stone Edge or Flamethrower over Fire Blast? Not often. To most people, the latter in both cases is the superior option. Also, any pokemon that uses Acrobat also runs Fling. Acrobat and Aerial Ace are so incomparable.

The point is, you're arguing about running something that's simply not good, just to hit Garchomp. Which is actually hurting yourself, as you just under-mined your argument that "Garchomp takes away your choice".

I was responding to his saying that ttar ko's Rank- which it usually doesn't. True it will stop his sweep, but you lose ttar in the process more often than not. And when rank is on say, a rain or sun team, losing ttar can very well = gg.

^^^ Rank has a 62% chance to survive the Crunch. And it has to OHKO back, which is a 57% chance. That means that Rank has a 35% chance to beat Tar. Tar survives at full health ~2/3 of the time. That is not more often than not.

it's really a 70% chance since SR or Spikes is up more often than not. That makes a 43% chance - in ttar's advantage, admittedly. But if weather is in the equation, it's a 62% chance of crippling or outright eliminating the enemies' weather. And if ttar's come into SR+ a layer of spikes twice, then Rank can ko on the switch in, making it to a revenge killer, not a counter.

oh yeah the point is that the ttar user is taking a big risk crunching it, since a ko is far from guaranteed, and it is often too valuable to take the risk in weather wars.

I was responding to his saying that ttar ko's Rank- which it usually doesn't. True it will stop his sweep, but you lose ttar in the process more often than not. And when rank is on say, a rain or sun team, losing ttar can very well = gg.
I feel you nitpicking at the fact that Reuniclus still takes out one pokemon on the opposing team. (In this case Tyrantiar.) However, you'd have to consider your team as well. If you keep in your Reuniclus to take the CB crunch your losing a promonent sweeper on your team just to take out one pokemon. While it is true that taking out one pokemon is a good thing this isnt the job of a sweeper but rather a wall breaker like salamence. The sweepers job is to break through weakened members of the opposing team and take out multiple pokemon. If your losing your sweeper just to take out one pokemon, that's gonna effect your team in a negative way. I can understand if the opposing pokemon your trying to take out is important but it just seems unethical to do such a thing.

Well, if it's running CM, it probably IS meant to be a stallbreaker, and against an offensive team, killing Tyranitar might be the best it could hope to do. Of course, this is just speaking in very broad terms, but we're talking about a rather shaky situation, anyway.

@capefeather

Reuniclus is one of the best stall breakers in the metagame. If your up against a stall team it pays to keep reuniclus alive. Even offensive teams can have a tough time against this thing as a set up sweeper. Therefore if this blobby teddy bear is on your team it really pays to keep it alive.

Agreed though, we are talking about a shaky situation in how to keep Reuniclus alive against a tyranitar. Switching out has its advantages but pursuit is a very real factor.

Wobb+Pursuit has to be the most effecient way of dealing with Rank- yet another old ubers strategy dropping into OU. Wobbuffet can actually outspeed and Encore whatever it uses, and since it will almost defenitely not be Focus Blast you can switch Tar/Scizor right in.

Wobb+Pursuit has to be the most effecient way of dealing with Rank- yet another old ubers strategy dropping into OU. Wobbuffet can actually outspeed and Encore whatever it uses, and since it will almost defenitely not be Focus Blast you can switch Tar/Scizor right in.
Don't forget Tickle trapping, which also works against any other defensive Pokemon that can't hurt Wobbo.

Yeah, it does hurt that Reuniclus is so slow even against stall Pokémon. In fact, its Speed seems to hurt it a lot; maybe I've just been randomly weak to them all this time or something. I find that with CM Reuniclus I rarely get the time to get those CMs in and make them count. I personally find TR Reuniclus a lot more appealing.

I was going to start revealing teams that I've been having problems with, but they seem to be improving, so I'll get on with threats that I hate. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen very many genies because they're really annoying; maybe the Quagsire spike did it. I do see a lot of Excadrill, Latios, Blaziken and Reuniclus, and while I'd like to say that they have clear flaws, they sadly tend to beat me (or at least teams containing them do). Excadrill especially seems to be somehow harder to deal with in this round. Then again, I did use rain a lot last round... I've especially had to make quite a few adjustments on my teams for Blaziken. He's just really scary.

Now, I'm not saying that these guys should be Uber. I'll decide that if/when I am called to do so. I'm just saying they cause me much :'( on opposing teams, as well as some :) when they're on my team.

Yeah, it does hurt that Reuniclus is so slow even against stall Pokémon. In fact, its Speed seems to hurt it a lot; maybe I've just been randomly weak to them all this time or something. I find that with CM Reuniclus I rarely get the time to get those CMs in and make them count. I personally find TR Reuniclus a lot more appealing.

I was going to start revealing teams that I've been having problems with, but they seem to be improving, so I'll get on with threats that I hate. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen very many genies because they're really annoying; maybe the Quagsire spike did it. I do see a lot of Excadrill, Latios, Blaziken and Reuniclus, and while I'd like to say that they have clear flaws, they sadly tend to beat me (or at least teams containing them do). Excadrill especially seems to be somehow harder to deal with in this round. Then again, I did use rain a lot last round... I've especially had to make quite a few adjustments on my teams for Blaziken. He's just really scary.

Now, I'm not saying that these guys should be Uber. I'll decide that if/when I am called to do so. I'm just saying they cause me much :'( on opposing teams, as well as some :) when they're on my team.
I find that until Reuniclus can get up 2 Cms, he can't really start to sweep. With only meh super-effective coverage, it can be powered through if its only at +1 SpD. Things like Azumarill can 2HKO it with Waterfall, and won't go down to a Rank running no SpA Evs even at +1

I believe that it's more useful to start attacking right away with Focus Blast. Once you send in your reuniclus your opponent will most likely switch in with their check on your obvious calm mind because it's rather easy to put on pressure with Reuniclus. Therefore the most obvious move when you send in Reuniclus (At least for the first time) is to attack rather than set up.

Max hp/max sp.def careful Ttar 2HKOs with Crunch and always lives +1 Focus Miss. Just sayin...
max/max+ ttar only needs to come into SR twice (or Sr + 1 layer of spikes once!) to be able to be ohko'd by +1 focus blast (75% min) (unless it's running lefties... in which case it only has a very small chance to 2hko). Also, ttar only needs to come in on SR + 1 layer of spikes twice or SR four times to be ko'd by an unboosted focus blast.

While you could normally save a poke to counter a pokemon now with team preview, remember ttar is a weather starter, and if you're against a weather team with reinculus, well... you better have hippo if you're running max/max sp def.

What do you guys think about the un-discussed former ubers like Mew, Wobb, and Deo-D? I find all of them to be kind of underwhelming this gen to be honest.

Wobb is slighly annoying to my team as I have a few pokes who it could easily trap and kill off but I have 2 pokemon that can switch themselves out. (U-turn and Volt Change) I've yet to face a Deo-D and I usually see Mew as a lead which is easy pickings for my Lead Thunurous. Overall I'd say the only one that has even a remote chance of being uber is wobb.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
UUPL Champion
Taunt/WoW Mew is pretty potent as stallbreaking. Deoxys-D I've never even seen. And Wobb can be annoying but nobody seems to want to abuse him right now (not sure why... maybe because of MixTar?)

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
max/max+ ttar only needs to come into SR twice (or Sr + 1 layer of spikes once!) to be able to be ohko'd by +1 focus blast (75% min) (unless it's running lefties... in which case it only has a very small chance to 2hko). Also, ttar only needs to come in on SR + 1 layer of spikes twice or SR four times to be ko'd by an unboosted focus blast.

While you could normally save a poke to counter a pokemon now with team preview, remember ttar is a weather starter, and if you're against a weather team with reinculus, well... you better have hippo if you're running max/max sp def.
Cool story bro. All I stated was that it could in fact counter Rank at max health. I'm not disagreeing, I'm just not really understanding what you are trying to say. Spikes + Sr wearing down any counter to a threat will eventually make them unable to come in after X amount of turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)