np: OU Suspect Testing Round 3 - So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaziken is gone...... I'm not sure what to think of that. I've never had a problem with it. Reuniclus got even less than last round. People aren't obeying the smog much to my happiness. Deoxys-e has a majority but no supermajority. Like with Blaziken I have no opinion because I never had a problem with it. Latios Got a majority but no supermajority. SO CLOSE! I want latios gone with a passion. I really hope it doesn't stay past next round. Those are my opinions on the ones that matter to me. :P

All forms of Blaziken. Over on Gamefaqs they think it's just Speed Boost, idk where that started.
Probably since Speed Boost led to its ban? I could see why someone would think just Boostken would be banned.

It was why I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Welcome back,Infernape. You have a chance at being OU once more.
I'd lol hard if Emboar usage rose instead.

Blaziken being banned? Theoretically I can understand why, but I've never run into a competent player that used Blaziken, so my experience against him was never game breaking.

Reuniclus is thankfully still around. I wouldn't be surprised if Latios goes next round, but I hope he doesn't.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I honestly thought I'd see Latios and Deoxys-S go before Blaziken.

Not that it matters, seeing as how I voted for all three.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
So Latios jumped from 13%, to 30%, to 50% in the course of three rounds. Rounds 1 to 2 saw the loss of Deoxys-A, Darkrai, and Shaymin-S. 3 checks. Round 2 to 3 saw the loss of Swift Swim (so basically 3 checks).

I'm really hoping Latios stays next round, because this round did not lead to the banning of any of its checks. I don't have any issues with Deoxys-E, either, so hopefully it (and the rest of this list) stays. I'm sad to see Blaziken go, it being my favorite pokemon, but it still tears shit up in Ubers so its not too big of a deal I guess.

Maybe we can stop nominating Excadrill and Reuniclus now.
Latios only needs another 50%+ voting to get banned; if anything, it needs one of its checks back to not get banned in Round 4.

I knew right from the start that Blaziken had a very good chance of being banned. Most of the things that countered Infernape had no way of standing up to Blaze's extra power and speed. He truly was a broken Pokemon, but I think that's what the people who used him most loved about him. Which was why we had to do the right thing and let him go.

http://www.japanator.com/elephant//ul/11971-advicemaster-kamina-/kamina-3-620x.jpg

Later, buddy.
well, look at the bright side

Infernape will be OU again!

...goddamnit I'm gonna play ADV...

I'd lol hard if Emboar usage rose instead.

Blaziken being banned? Theoretically I can understand why, but I've never run into a competent player that used Blaziken, so my experience against him was never game breaking.

Reuniclus is thankfully still around. I wouldn't be surprised if Latios goes next round, but I hope he doesn't.
I have played against a well-played Blaziken, and they're stupidly powerful seeing how nothing outright counters it or makes a safe initial switch. I think it's more of Speed Boost that broke him than anything else, he was perfectly fine otherwise.

Deoxys-E I'm personally on the fence about. On one hand, it's fuck-all fast and the ultimate Spiker. On the other hand, it doesn't do much outside of that, but it's still impossible to stop from getting at least one layer unless you use Prankster or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if Latios got banned either. He's also annoying. It's especially bad when your one answer fails against it in Rain as it can 2HKO with Specs boosted Surf. Yes, a specially defensive Jirachi can take Meteors all day long, but Surf kills it for whatever reason. Blissey could stop it, but then it gets Tricked or something.

All that aside, I'm curious why people nominated Thundurus. Anyone want to shed some light on this?

Latios only needs another 50%+ voting to get banned; if anything, it needs one of its checks back to not get banned in Round 4.
Well technically, the three checks Latios lost in Round 2 were not actually "lost," merely replaced. Tornadus/Thundurus/Starmie are the new Kingdra/Ludicolo/Kabutops, and they all have ways to cripple or harshly wound Latios between priority Thunder Wave, Hurricane, and LO Ice Beam. I'm still not understanding the logic behind people seeking this Latios ban...there are various checks but there is some unspoken rule that of all 600+ pokemon, Latios is one that MUST have an absolute counter to be allowed in OU.

@Demo-Kun: Outside of specially defensive Quagsire, there are no real counters to NP LO Thundurus in rain, which is what got its nomination. On top of that, it has great coverage or the option of a priority TWave before it gets revenged so that the next sweeper doesn't have to worry about being outsped. Either way, the voting base saw Thundurus as perfectly fine without a solid counter, while Latios is somehow broken base on the very same logic.

Blaziken is gone. Latios will most likely be gone but lets move on from Latios for a sec and focus on the now with predictions. I know there's no point in predictions but I would like to hear what would likely come from the bowels of the metagame now that Blaziken is gone. (Besides infernape and Emboar.) What will happen to sun now that it has lost one of it's major sweepers? Sun was mostly nominated because of Blaziken. There were very few big abusers in the Sun to begin with. Are people finally gonna stop bagging on it for a ban?

Next up what was Blaziken holding back in the metagame. The metagame is mostly bulky and weather oriented but I failed to see what Blaziken was really doing that was so bad to the metagame besides big brothering Infernape and Emboar.

Blaziken is gone. Latios will most likely be gone but lets move on from Latios for a sec and focus on the now with predictions. I know there's no point in predictions but I would like to hear what would likely come from the bowels of the metagame now that Blaziken is gone. (Besides infernape and Emboar.) What will happen to sun now that it has lost one of it's major sweepers? Sun was mostly nominated because of Blaziken. There were very few big abusers in the Sun to begin with. Are people finally gonna stop bagging on it for a ban?

Next up what was Blaziken holding back in the metagame. The metagame is mostly bulky and weather oriented but I failed to see what Blaziken was really doing that was so bad to the metagame besides big brothering Infernape and Emboar.
From what I understand, it's that once it set up a Swords Dance and got some speed under its belt it was a raging monster?
I guess protect -> Swords Dance -> Sweep?

"Starter" is a term that means exactly nothing, in a competitive sense, just like "legendary".

I'd actually argue against Blaziken's banning, but that "argument" has more holes than a sieve.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Is being broken bad for the metagame?
Holy fucking god yes. Was that question actually serious? I mean, really? Having something broken just creates a natural muffler on skill, that allows one player to have a flat advantage over the other. In a competitive game, giving one person the edge on a factor not based on skill (in play or team-building) is completely and utterly unhealthy for balance.

Blaziken is now banned? Wow a lot has happen since I've been gone...

But I used it once and a couple of months ago, and I knew it was going to be a great pokemon, but I really don't have an opinion on the matter right now since I haven't battle in a couple of months. Do we got tiers yet?

Blaziken is now banned? Wow a lot has happen since I've been gone...

But I used it once and a couple of months ago, and I knew it was going to be a great pokemon, but I really don't have an opinion on the matter right now since I haven't battle in a couple of months. Do we got tiers yet?
Apparently the PO server now has usage statistics, so we'll probably see tiering once they publish them the first time around.

Holy fucking god yes. Was that question actually serious? I mean, really? Having something broken just creates a natural muffler on skill, that allows one player to have a flat advantage over the other. In a competitive game, giving one person the edge on a factor not based on skill (in play or team-building) is completely and utterly unhealthy for balance.
That's not a very good argument because in that statement you can argue that alot of pokemon in the metagame are broken because the advantages they have. Dragonite is an effective wallbreaker with it's mixed set giving it an advantage in stall. Does that make it broken?

You should probably say it in a slightly different way. A pokemon that effectively breaks teams consistently and changing the face of the metagame to such a degree is a good way to expand upon your limited statement of a broken pokemon being bad for the metagame.

However, I'd have to agree with you. That was a really stupid question. A broken pokemon molds the metagame in it's image. It forces pokemon to the bottom of the tiers and makes teambuiling significantly more difficult as it would always be a significant threat to any team. Therefore banning the pokemon would make the metagame much better as it would allow pokemon, that would usually be bottom tier, to come back up as a significant threat itself.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
A broken Pokemon ALWAYS gives a significant advantage against every team. I apologize for not making that distinction clear.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It was sarcastic.

KurashiDragon said:
That's not a very good argument because in that statement you can argue that alot of pokemon in the metagame are broken because the advantages they have. Dragonite is an effective wallbreaker with it's mixed set giving it an advantage in stall. Does that make it broken?

You should probably say it in a slightly different way. A pokemon that effectively breaks teams consistently and changing the face of the metagame to such a degree is a good way to expand upon your limited statement of a broken pokemon being bad for the metagame.

However, I'd have to agree with you. That was a really stupid question. A broken pokemon molds the metagame in it's image. It forces pokemon to the bottom of the tiers and makes teambuiling significantly more difficult as it would always be a significant threat to any team. Therefore banning the pokemon would make the metagame much better as it would allow pokemon, that would usually be bottom tier, to come back up as a significant threat itself.
You contradict yourself in your post here.You first go off on a tangent about what we can call broken, but then say that not all broken pokemon are bad for the metagame. You then state how broken pokemon invariably significantly harm the metagame, directly contradicting your previous point. Which one is it?

Also, you can't call just anything broken (lol at Dragonite being broken), but there's not even a debate about that. Whether or not something is broken is not a philosophical question, it's a question of how powerful it is in relation to the rest of the metagame, which is why Dragonite isn't broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)