Offensively Random or Randomly Offensive?(A IVth Gen OU team)

Introduction:

Hello Smogon, My name is AlcadeiasX, formerly known as Ace_Alcadeias and known from my 2 old RMTs, However, i should point out that there was a random misunderstanding. You see, after i registered here i went on a 3-week camping trip(school matters), and...well i forgot to clear my PC's cookies and since my little cousin was staying at my house for the moment, he messed around with my computer and since he was also in to pokemon, he played with My account, creating 2 RMTs in the Uber and OU archive, with the former being a Marriland rip-off team and the latter being a noobz team. Even went so far as to post what i would consider cr*p. So if any mod would be kind enough to delete the two threads and the post, Thank You. And oh, yeah he even made an account using my computer and my IP.

Anyways with that said, I'm a High School student that's a little new to this competitive battling stuff, and here's a team that involved careful planning, testing and execution before making it to RMT, (by means of Pokemon Online; Wins: 3 Losses: 2) Also, a quick note; I'm really inexperienced prior to joining this community so don't brick me if i make several mistakes.

I don't really remember my team building process and i'm gonna change this team one way or the other so i'm just gonna give you My team's general overview.

The team a glance:

The GyaraVire combo kicks ass, Deal with it.

In-depth:

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Stealth Rock
-----
One of the favorite leads without a doubt, but certainly for a reason. This set outlines what a casual attacking lead would be. 252 Speed EVs makes for outspeeding most non-choiced Pokemon especially after an Agility boost from Ninjask. 252 Attack EVs make him versatile in terms of being a Physical Tank while the remaining EVs might make a difference in his survival. Stealth Rock is a standard issue for all leads and is essentially required in a Offense team like mine. Bullet Punch is a nice priority move and a nice asset to a sluggish Pokemon like Metagross here helps in taking down non-bulky threats, Earthquake is for Heatran leads (Scarfed and non-scarfed alike.), and Explosion is if i live through an Overheat last resort. Oh and Occa berry is for patching Metagross's average Special Defense since most fire attacks which hits him are Special-based and Earth Power's the only Special-based move i should really be avoiding oh, and he only loses to non-weakened Shuca Berry Heatran.
------

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Taunt
----------
What? another Physical Sweeper you say? Well...yeah, can't think of any substitute for this beast here, The Attack EVs here should be self-explanatory since hitting someone in the face with a boosted attack power is always a good thing, the Defense EVs help against most Rock-type attacks notably; Rock Wrecker, the Special Defense EVs will save me from getting 1HKOed by a none-boosted Thunderbolt, While the Speed EVs get me going. Dragon Dance kicks up my Attack Power and Zippiness a jolt or two enabling me to sweep faster and more effectively, Waterfall is an awesome STAB move for Gyarados, Earthquake is for the Heatran which i hate oh so much while Taunt is for the SkarmBliss combo to prevent status, healing or Phazing from stopping my sweep flat. This set was picked because it obviously overshadowed the Previous although now i'm a little bit more threatened by. Seriously, One Dragon Dance and all heck breaks loose.
----------

Roserade (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
-Leaf Storm
-Sludge Bomb
-Spikes
-Sleep Powder
---------
Ok, here's another Special Attacker to add on my team, Roserade. Since, i'm running this here Offense set, i guess a little bit of Spikes couldn't hurt, the EVs are invested in Special Attack so STAB Leaf Storm and Sludge Bomb score magnifique damage. Speed EVs is for setting the field up for Sleep Powder which renders the target temporarily out of commision so i can safely set up Spikes Layers. I already explained all i can here so save for the next Pokemon.

---------

Gengar (F) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
------
Finally, a special sweeper? Well, i put him in because otherwise, i'd get seriously get crippled by Will-O-Wisp and/or checked by Rotom-H. I'm Using a SubPetaya set here, so the Speed EVs come in handy, while the Special Attack EVs will ensure a KO after a Petaya boost. Shadow Ball is a nice STAB move and kills Rotom-H, Focus Blast is for killing Tyranitar, Weavile and other Dark/Steel type checks (who don't normally come scarfed), while Hidden Power fire is an alternative in case i'm not feeling confident with Focus Blast.
-------

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
--------
Hey, look it's everyone's favorite dinosaur, Out for revenge, Yeah.. i'm kidding anways, to explain the EVs are simplistically easy, Attack EVs boost Barney's attacking and KO rate, Speed EVs plus the Choice Scarf gives him (and therefore my team) more speed to boot at the cost of maneuverability, Stone Edge is a nice STAB move, Pursuit is for the Gengar, also powerful (courtesy of Barney's STAB), Earthquake is for countering most Steel-type's attempts at walling my team (while adding insult to injury in Blissey's case), and Ice Fang is for the Flygon i hate.

--------

Electivire (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SAtk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Cross Chop
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
----------
A classic example of a MixVire set, EVs are to compensate for his low Special Attack while boosting his Physical attack, and Speed EVs are for outspeeding most sets after a Motor Drive boost. Cross Chop is for Blissey and other defensively fragile 'mons, Flamethrower and Thunderbolt are Special Attacking assets apert from Thunderbolt being STAB, while Earthquake is for incoming Vires who switch in from a Gyarados and Expert Belt is for boosting the many types that this set covers.

Conclusion;
Well..that's the team, thanks for reading hopefully, this'll allow me to rack up some wins. But I still don't feel secure about being Walled by Heatran or Massacred by Rotom-H.

PS: Can anybody please explain what the heck is Little Cup? It sounds fun but i can't really tell.

I'd suggest running a Bulky Dragon Dance set over your current Gyarados.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Waterfall

Gyarados is a great pokemon, but he can't really sweep without boosts. Bulky Gyarados has little trouble getting two Dragon Dances up and then all hell breaks loose. Taunt is to stop the likes of Blissey attempting to stop your sweep with status or attempting to stall you with recovery, while also stopping others from setting up against Gyarados.

Relying on Ninjask to pass boosts to your team is an unreliable method of setting up a sweep, with Stealth Rocks up Ninjask will be coming in at 50% hp and can easily be picked off by priority Bullet Punches. Your lead won't stop other teams from getting their rocks up, and you have no spinner, so Ninjask's use is rather limited. He will enter the game once at most once Rocks are up, and he risks taking a hit and being KOed as he switches in. I think you would be better replacing him with Flygon as a scout/revenge killer.

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast

Not only is Flygon a great utility pokemon, but he is immune to both Earthquake and Thunderbolt, while resisting Stone Edge as well, making him fit very nicely with your Electivire/Gyarados combination.

Several things that need to be fixed, I'm just going to dive on in. Ninjask looks so tempting as a Baton Passer because he can easily pass a few speed boosts and sometimes an attack boost as well. Outside of leading though, he is absolutely terrible. Upon entering the battle, he takes 50% damage to Stealth Rock. I will get to who to replace him with later on. With him gone, you need to change a few movesets and EVs. Metagross is an awesome lead. One thing he always wants is lots of bulk. His moves are good, but make his EV spread 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed. He's not meant to sweep, he gets Stealth Rock up, and tries to do some damage and eventually explode. If you want more speed, move 40 from Atk into Speed.

Gyarados is one of the most effective sweepers in OU hands down. He needs one move to do this effetively: Dragon Dance. Your team is a bit stall weak, so I'll suggest using Bulky DD Gyara.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant
156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Speed
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Bounce
Taunt

Gliscor can be quite the surprise sweeper. He loves one thing though which this team does not offer, and that is SandStorm. He can abuse his ability and be frustrating to take down. Add Tyranitar over Ninjask. On Gliscor, Change U-Turn to Swords Dance, and make his EVs 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Speed. He will still outpace base 90s and doesnt need the extra speed as Electivire is rare in OU. For Tyranitar, use a Scarf set as a revenge killer.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Stone Edge
Crunch
Pursuit
Earthquake

Lastly, Electivire isn't that good. Your team leans heavily towards the physical attackign spectrum. You need another special attacker. I suggest Shaymin. It will tank hits for you and can absorb status for you. It will also hit bulky waters which can wall your team fairly well.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Seed Flare
Earth Power
Hidden Power Ice
Rest

Edit your OP to include changes you make so that people can keep rating. I hope I helped out, and good luck battling.

My thanks to both of you, however....i don't have access to Shaymin so i'm afraid i'd have to stick with Electivire (@ AlphaJolt), Tyranitar over Ninjask is cool though so is the Dragon Dance set for Gyarados. However, i still see a huge weakness to Will-O-Wisping and/or Trickscarfing Rotom-H and Heatran (Although Gliscor and Metagross's Berries should even up the odds unless they're already weakened by Ice or Fire type attacks respectively), so can someone help me fix that? Also, a quick note to Saint Ashes; Gyarados will likely outspeed Blissey and Blissey's defenses are awfully fragile, so does the Dragon Dance, Stone Edge, Waterfall, Earthquake movesets sound good? Earthquake is really needed to kill the likes of a bulky Heatran smacking me in the face with Will-O-Wisp and to AlphaJolt; any other suggestions besides Shaymin for the SpA class or even a MixTar for the matter? Scarftar is good but i still need something a little more...Special as you have previously stated.

After 1 Dragon Dance, Offensive Gyarados fails to OHKO Blissey with Waterfall, that yours isn't Offensive by EVs. With Taunt, Blissey can't Thunder Wave him, and then Gyarados can set up. It will also prevent him from being Roared/Whirlwinded out, mostly from Skarmory, and he won't be statused unless it's a side effect from a move (burnt from Lava Plume for example).

Little Cup is for first stage, level 5 pokemon only (dratini, charmander, tailow, etc). It's pretty offensive (idk about 5th gen though) and there's a ton of priority moves.

Lum Berry is better for Metagross on this team. You already have Gyarados and Tyranitar to switch into Heatran, and Lum helps out greatly against sleep leads or Machamp. I would also recommend changing Gliscor's and Gengar's sets - Gliscor should preferably go with the Stallbreaker set to help out against defensive teams, while Gengar should be switched to the SubSplit set. SubPetaya is a good concept, but it is easily shut down by faster revenge killers and priority users.

Good luck!

@ AlphaJolt:
Oh, that makes sense, but any more suggestions about Special Attackers?

@ HP[Juan]
Cross Chop provides more power since Low Kick is only powerful against Heavyweight opponents, i don't mind the accuracy sacrifice.

@ Faladran
The Gliscor Stallbreaker set is actually the one i'm using..with a few modifications.

Now i saw something about using Level 100 Pokemon's basic forms, Is that considered LC?

For a special attacker, you could opt for Roserade, who can also support your team.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Natural Cure
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Leaf Storm
Sludge Bomb
Hidden Power Fire
Sleep Power/Spikes

I didn't slash Toxic Spikes in there because your team is more offensive, and doesn't rely on stalling for toxic poisoning. Sleep Powder renders a pokemon useless (outside of restalkers or status absorbers) but Spikes lets you get more residual damage, allowing an easier sweep later game.

About your worries of being walled by Heatran or Rotom-A, your ScarfTar deals with both of those. Hope I helped.

@ AlphaJolt:

Oh, ok i'll swap him over Gliscor.

Does anybody else have a suggestion for my team, before i take it on a tourney?

I thin spikes + sleep powder is ilegal ?
And in tyranitar you use Ice Fang for flygon but th e 90% is scarfed and has earthquake...

i was thinking that maybe u should change roserade to ur lead position n change ur leadgross to an agiligross but that will make u lose stealth rock. but i dont think rose is a good special sweeper since grass+poison doesnt give good coverage. if u want, u can take off spikes for hp ice/ground. (to kill dragons/heatran)

for ttar, u mite wanna change ice fang to superpower or crunch since scargon always outspeeds scarf tar n like juan mentioned, 90% of them are scarfed. n ice fang doesnt always ohko bulky dnite/gliscor so it is a waste of moveslot.

lastly, i noe gyra/vire does work but all u dragon dance will go down the drain. wat i used it the past is a resttalk dos with vire (n later jolteon). resttalk dos provides u with a status absorber, a breloom counter (altho it basically covers most physical threats like luke, scizor..)
n vire is rly too weak (it can only get 2hkos which isnt really enuf). change it to a sub jolteon with hp ice. sub n the switch n proceed to sweep. behind a sub, it ohkos stuff like flygon n rotom. it does have problems with blissey, snorlax, swampert n ttar though. but ur own scarttar (with superpower) can take them down n rose can take swampert down.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
Offensive LO Starmie runs all over this team, the only member it can't outspeed and OHKO is Metagross, who is comprehensively 2HKOed. Given that its really quite common, I suggest changing Electivire for Sub pass Jolteon, which outseeds and OHKO's Starmie whilst being immune to Thunderbolt, and also functions excellently with Bulky Gyra, being able to absorb Electric attacks and pass him subs on predicted Earthquakes or whatever (Mixvire is also just terrible).

Jolteon @ Leftovers
~Substitute
~Baton Pass
~Thunderbolt
~HP Ice / Shadow Ball
Timid
Volt Absorb

It's pretty self explanatory, however the choice between Shadow Ball and HP Ice essentially boils down to whether you want a decent counter to the Rotom forms or the ability to nail Gliscor / Dragonite / Salamence / Breloom etc.

Edit: Turns out i was just echoing the post above, but i couldn't understand it anyway...

tyranitar won't usually be killing flygon since most of the time its scarfed and will kill you with earthquake so i suggest you switch ice fang to superpower so your tyranitar can do something all of your other members cant do, kill blissey in one hit. I suggest you change one of your roserades support moves to a hidden power ice to make up for the ice fang. Hp ice hits harder than you choice scarf tyranitar's ice fang other than that this is a good team. I'm seeing a lot of good teams on these forums.

The only thing I don't like about this team is the overdose of EQ users. Seriously, you want more coverage opportunities on this team. I agree with Jolteon over Electivire. I also thing that Roserade's lack of raw power means that Sludge Bomb's neutral coverage is pretty useless on an offensive team, not to mention that there are so many steels in OU that it's next to worthless. Anyway, Roserade doesn't have much use on this team, and you'd be better off using a mixed sweeper like Infernape to help you break through stall.

Remove EQ and Ice Fang from TTar and replace them with Crunch and Superpower, for powerful STAB and ability to hit Blissey and other TTar hard. Most Pokemon you could hit with EQ would be killing you first, like Scarf Lucario, Metagross, and Scizor, or switching out, like Heatran, and in the second case, you could give away both a free switch-in (e.g. to Gyarados) and a free setup turn (you switch out since you can't touch it), which could lose you the game.

Roserade's leafstorm is illegal with spikes,I checked it on PO.And yeah i think gyarajolt is a better combo than gyaravire.Infact you can use Resttalk shuffling gyara to abuse spikes and stealthrock.
Icepunch is not a bad idea on scarftar,it catches gliscor's offgaurd...superpower is a must to hurt bliss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)