Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. I was planning on traveling with my double intimidate team with gyara, arcanine, gengar, smeargle. As you might have guessed i did not make it. Stupid drawing!

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So, if practically everybody here didn't get selected, who did they select? Jesus...
Here are the ones that appeared to have gotten in:

Mikey229 (NY?)
POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN(LA)
devoninja(LA)
XxBlueCookiesXx(NY)
sandman(NY)

It does make me wonder how many will indeed show up, and how many potential alternates will intend to show up at either NY or LA.

Congratulations to all of whom got selected here on smogon - I was less fortunate but that's not going to discourage me! Expect to me in both NYC and LA. :naughty:

EDIT: Damn critical hits! I hope to god i get another chance because i can't live with myself after JAA =/

sandman

Bum bum bum bum

Mikey229 (NY?)
POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN(LA)
devoninja(LA)
XxBlueCookiesXx(NY)
sandman(NY)

It does make me wonder how many will indeed show up, and how many potential alternates will intend to show up at either NY or LA.
Man, theres only 5 so far. I wonder how many people at the tournament will actually know about ivs and stuff. I also feel sorry for those who didn't make it. I'm not sure if i can even go. I live about three hours away from the event but would my parents really drive that long for something like this : /

Man, theres only 5 so far. I wonder how many people at the tournament will actually know about ivs and stuff. I also feel sorry for those who didn't make it. I'm not sure if i can even go. I live about three hours away from the event but would my parents really drive that long for something like this : /
I know the feeling. Parents rarely drove me to a yugioh reg. that was a 4 hour drive. Just one time to see how far. I wish the evens would hit Texas. We get screwed out of many great events like this. Always in California and New York. Hey we were a country once. (little history lesson on the side). We deserve some of the action.

My brother and I didn't get the e-mail today, but we still plan on attending the qualifiers since we practically live 10 miles away from the Cal ScienCenter. It sucks that we have to wake up pretty early though. :(

I wonder how many people at the tournament will actually know about ivs and stuff./

I am actually wondering the same thing. You must know at least a little bit about pokemon in order to get in, since you have to pass that stupid quiz with at least 15/20 correct to be even considered.

I have a feeling at the LA one there will be a select few people who know about IVs, breed for them, know how to EV train, etc and are actually good; and those will get in the top 8(if there are even that many lol). The rest will be halfway nubs who think they are the ultimate pokemon masters because they caught Mewtwo in a Master Ball. x)

At NYC I think the number of people who are good will be higher than the LA one, simply because there are more good pokemoners within distance of NYC. With LA, you pretty much have to live near there or else you won't bother.

all the better chances for me! =D

I am actually wondering the same thing. You must know at least a little bit about pokemon in order to get in, since you have to pass that stupid quiz with at least 15/20 correct to be even considered.

I have a feeling at the LA one there will be a select few people who know about IVs, breed for them, know how to EV train, etc and are actually good; and those will get in the top 8(if there are even that many lol). The rest will be halfway nubs who think they are the ultimate pokemon masters because they caught Mewtwo in a Master Ball. x)

At NYC I think the number of people who are good will be higher than the LA one, simply because there are more good pokemoners within distance of NYC. With LA, you pretty much have to live near there or else you won't bother.

all the better chances for me! =D
This wouldnt be in the junior league. My brother who is 10 and his friends know nothing about IVs.

Didn't get chosen but still going. I might get picked since I live like 10 minutes away from the Science Center. I hate Nintendo for the raffle =|

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I was actually going to have my sister and my friends younger brother take the quiz to try and get in the raffle for the little kid division, since I would of course be making their teams and they might have had a good shot beating all of the other little kids who don't know about IV's. But, both of them were too scared of the competition or something and didn't sign up, lol.

Expert Evan

http://www.altmanbldg.com/directions/directions.htm

For some of us that are considering to come to New York next month, the challenge will be for many of us to at least get there at 8:45am just for alternate consideration which will obviously be a last-minute decision on my part as my son might prefer to play with his yugioh buddies at Gaming ETC on Saturdays while I may prefer to participate in a 4 mile road race that morning instead. I doubt I will really want to meet Pikachu but would rather meet other Smogonites instead.

Mikey229 (NY?)
POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN(LA)
devoninja(LA)
XxBlueCookiesXx(NY)
sandman(NY)

I got in as well, and so did two of my friends, we all live in the northern california area. I forget if they asked for our address, if so, it seems as if people who live within a close proximity were more likely to get chosen for the tournament.

I got in as well, and so did two of my friends, we all live in the northern california area. I forget if they asked for our address, if so, it seems as if people who live within a close proximity were more likely to get chosen for the tournament.
not likely, I live in NY and in the NYC area, however I was also rejected from the Qualifiers, so where you live shouldn't really matter...

BlueCookies

So are Sandman and I the only ones representing Smogon in New York? That seems a little weird considdering many more of the Smogoners chosen are in the La area.

I have a request for the community:

I have been here for a few months and I'm a decent breeder/battler, but I'm not the best by any stretch. I was hoping that someone who is well respected and very experienced around here could help me prepare for the tournament in LA. I don't need a lot of help just someone to hear a few of my ideas for strategies and help me improve them and who could possibly suggest a few. Preferably that person should have experience in actual tournaments. Honestly, I'm hoping that Expert Evan will help me with this, but really any helpful and experienced member of the community would be great.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Obi would probably be the best one to help you. Unlike most of the people here, he actually has concrete double-battle experience, rather than the "hmm, that looks like it might work" that the rest of us might be doing.

BlueCookies

I have been here for a few months and I'm a decent breeder/battler, but I'm not the best by any stretch. I was hoping that someone who is well respected and very experienced around here could help me prepare for the tournament in LA. I don't need a lot of help just someone to hear a few of my ideas for strategies and help me improve them and who could possibly suggest a few. Preferably that person should have experience in actual tournaments. Honestly, I'm hoping that Expert Evan will help me with this, but really any helpful and experienced member of the community would be great.
I sure wouldn't mind having someone look over/help my team through pm, although I believe it is solid, others thoughts would help a lot. Maybe I could also nickname one of my future winning Pokemon after that person, lol. Although Smeargle's already taken, He'll be named "Obi" no matter what.
Obi would probably be the best one to help you. Unlike most of the people here, he actually has concrete double-battle experience, rather than the "hmm, that looks like it might work" that the rest of us might be doing.
I agree, The most well known members with actual doubles experience would be Obi and TheMaskedNitpicker imo.

Expert Evan

Los Angeles
POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN
devoninja
rottingpigfetus

New York
Mikey229
XxBlueCookiesXx
sandman

My suggestion would be to get access of PBR and fight random battles if possible, and work on outpredicting your opponent. Of course consulting with Obi should help too.

Looking back at JAA, I made the worst decision to start with kyogre & ludicolo when my opponent had a groudon & ho-oh in their party as the slower party had the drought in effect. Had I known better at the time, I should've sent in self-destruct mewtwo along with protect ludicolo. We all learn from our mistakes, or do we really?

BlueCookies

I tried random battles in PBR but only 1 in about every 15 matches do you have a legitimate match. Every other match is against noob/uber user/combination of both. It also auto sets your levels to 50 meaning you can't test any Lv.1 tactics.

I didn't actually get in, but can I also just do practice battles with somebody (preferably from LA) just in case I do get chosen as an alternate?

It would be practice for the both of us anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)