Olympic Events You Wish Were Not in the Olympics

Olympic events you wish were not in the Olympics

• Total voters

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
most of these are legitimate sporting activities that I cannot object to including, but 4 in particular have no real competitive nature.

First off baseball and golf are not really sports anymore than say bocce ball is a sport. These sports are dominated by old ppl and ppl who chew tobacco, often both. However, I would consider baseball more of an olympic eligible sport if americans were not allowed to participate since I feel like theyre most guilty of fielding old people who chew tobacco in their team. Both of these sports are also incredibly boring for spectators. while these sports have a competitive nature and some interactive or competitive dynamics, the concepts of competitiveness in these sports are much better demonstrated in other sports. Golf is entirely inferior to all racquet sports for example. And although the essence of baseball lies in the statistical discourse that swirls around it, ultimately 9 slow content-less innings is not really a significant sample size for the attributes it tests. Sports that exemplify the sporting features of golf and baseball in a superior fashion include: volleyball, cricket, basketball, and curling.

Next we have swimming and weightlifting. Now these seem like they're sports but are they really? Like how do you get good at these sports other than by doing them? There may be something I don't know about weightlifting that makes it like a serious competitive event where you analyze the competition, but the same can certainly not be said for swimming. There is no interaction in these events. I strongly suspect weightlifting is just a competition of who can avoid injuring themselves. Swimming seems like competitive eating in the sense that the caloric demands needed to train is obviously the main challenge. You can tell these are not real sports because the drills someone does for these sports are in fact no different from the sport itself. These sports in other words have no parts. There is nothing to analyze with these sports which diminishes the enjoyment of spectators. These sports are almostly certainly the reason why weed is considered a performance enhancing substance by international sporting bodies, as by using weed you dull the boringness of practicing these sports and can go on and on practicing your breast stroke for hours each day, humourlessly. Like all real sports have moments of joy, ego, and humor during practice that directly related to what happens in practice, but we all know no one has ever laughed about training for the 200m breast stroke. These sports are essentially dehumanizing to the people who do them, who come to represent human machines.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GatoDelFuego in voting for everything are you boldly taking a stand in opposition to the Tokyo 2020 (2021) Olympics because of the country's recent high spike in COVID cases and you're just looking out for the safety of everyone involved?

or are you just trying to be the funny guy

answer wisely

Football. There’s so many other competitions for football that football at the olympic games feels like a worse watered down version of the world championships.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GatoDelFuego in voting for everything are you boldly taking a stand in opposition to the Tokyo 2020 (2021) Olympics because of the country's recent high spike in COVID cases and you're just looking out for the safety of everyone involved?

or are you just trying to be the funny guy

answer wisely
I simply believe that the traditional Olympic sports are a relic of a forgotten age. It is time to bring the games into the next generation

Why tf is equestrian an Olympic sport? The fucking horse is the one doing all the work and yet the rider gets most of the credit? What the hell this is supposed to be a human competition, not a "I let these poor underfed and overtrained animal do all the work for me" competition.

Also two quick hot takes:
1. GatoDelFuego is based.
2. Normal horse was a disappointment as it wasn't even able to be introduced in April fools. I don't recognize him as my child.

the one where women do weird dances in a pool to popular songs while the overly flamboyant commentator is whispering to his colleague like "wow this is absolutely fabulous. that form is perfection"

do you think horses are born with the skill to run in a big circle for human entertainment
Probably not, but is it really fair that the horse get almost no credit and the medal goes to the rider instead? If anything, Olympic horse riders are just glorified coaches, and those don't get medals, their trainees do. Anyways this is my final argument for horse being more deserving of the medal during the equestrian events.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)