SM RU On The Attack! - SM RU Hyper Offense

Introduction
Until I made this team, I never saw the merits of running a hyper offense team. "No defensive Pokemon?" I thought. "No thank you." That is, until I decided to try one out. This is not only one of the most successful teams I've created, but also some of the most fun I've had with a team in a while. As such, I felt compelled to share it with the world, so here goes nothing.
Teambuilding Process

Smeargle was the obvious and obligatory choice for a suicide lead.

Tsareena was chosen for a pivot due to its access to both U-turn and Rapid Spin, allowing for emergency hazard removal.

I wanted some way to keep the hazards Smeargle sets on the field, and so I needed something to deal with Defog. Thus, I chose Primeape for its access to Defiant. I chose it over Braviary due to its higher speed and better movepool.

The next hazard removal move I had to take care of was Rapid Spin, which mandated a Ghost Type. Since I already had two physical attackers, I decided to go for a special attacker, so I chose Hoopa.

Next, I needed a sweeper. I wanted something that didn't need a lot of set up so that I could get to attacking as soon as possible, and the obvious choice was a Moxie user. Honchkrow immediately comes to mind, but after finding out the Pinsir has better bulk and speed, I went with that instead.

The last thing I needed was speed control, and Jolteon fits the bill well. I considered Yanmega, but it didn't hit hard enough for my liking. I went with a more unorthodox yet effective set for this one.

The Team
Suicide Lead

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Spore
- Destiny Bond
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
A standard suicide lead set. 0 defensive IVs allow me to get knocked down to my focus sooner, which in turn allows me to use Destiny Bond sooner.

Pivot

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Rapid Spin
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
I usually send it in when I don't want anything else to die, but that doesn't mean it doesn't contribute anything. U-turn provides momentum, and 0 speed IVs with a Brave nature allow this U-turn to be as slow and safe as possible. Rapid spin is especially useful, as Sticky Web is fairly common entry hazard in RU and messes up the rest of my team. Knock off removes items, most notably Choice Scarf, which lets the rest of my team run wild.

Physical Wallbreaker

Primeape @ Icium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- Throat Chop
- Ice Punch
Virtually everyone I played uses Defog at the first opportunity, giving me a free swap in. I decided to forgo Choice Band so that I wouldn't be forced to switch out. This is especially important since the opposing team will likely only use Defog once. Gunk Shot hits Fairy Types, Throat Chop hits Ghost Types, and Ice Punch hits Flying Types as well as Flygon. Icium Z give Primeape the chance to OHKO Mandibuzz.

Special Wallbreaker

Hoopa @ Expert Belt
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
Easily the best Pokemon on this team. Expert Belt is used over Life Orb to provide it with longevity. I opt for Energy Ball in order to hit common Rapid Spinners like Donphan and Blastoise. It also murders Quagsire and Rhyperior. Psyshock allows Hoopa to get past Florges. Even without Nasty Plot, this thing hits like a truck.

Sweeper

Pinsir @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- X-Scissor
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
I opted for Pinsir instead of Honchkrow for a Moxie sweeper largely due to its higher speed. That being said, it's still not very fast, so Sticky Web is a must. Quick Attack somewhat remedies this by allowing it to pick off weak, faster threats, giving it a free Moxie boost. Knock Off hits Ghost Types, and Close Combat hits Steel and Rock Types. While there aren't many Fairy Types in RU, it can struggle to get past them, so it requires team support.

Speed control

Jolteon @ Flame Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]
I wanted speed control, but I also wanted the capacity to switch moves. As such, I opted going for a Quick Feet set with Flame Orb, and it works surprisingly well. Protect makes sure I can get the Flame Orb up, Shadow Ball hits the plethora of Psychic and Ghost Types in the tier, and HP Ice hits Ground and Grass types.

Threat List
Linoone
Linoone 2.gif
Linoone is easily the most threatening Pokemon for my team. Hoopa is really the only one who can adequately deal with it after it sets up. Tsareena doesn't out-speed it, limiting its checking abilities.

Choice Scarf (or anything faster)
Choice Scarf.png

While not as difficult to deal with as Linoone, it still can be a problem. Most Pokemon on my team aren't the fastest, and even with Stick Web they can be out-sped by Choice Scarf users. Anything naturally faster than my team in general can also pose a threat

Espeon
Espeon.gif

This is less because Espeon is a prominent threat to my team (although it can pose a massive problem offensively) and more because it is a major annoyance. Due to Magic Bounce, Smeargle can't even put it to sleep, let alone set up hazards. They aren't a major necessity, but they help quite a lot when it comes to putting on offensive pressure.

Conclusion

This team is more fun than it has any right to be. Sweeping teams, surprising opponents, and clutch plays are norm. Using more unorthodox sets is also a load of fun, and they are surprisingly and immensely effective. Of course, no team is perfect, and I am open to suggestions.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Spore
- Destiny Bond
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Rapid Spin
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Primeape @ Icium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- Throat Chop
- Ice Punch

Hoopa @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball

Pinsir @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- X-Scissor
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Jolteon @ Flame Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:
Why are you running 0 defensive IVs on Smeargle to get knocked down to the Sash sooner, but then running 252 HP EVs? Just seems a bit odd to me.

teachable

Banned deucer.
Heya! Overall really cool squad (I love smeargle, even though his role is so niche). Personally, since you're running a more offensive squad I'd change your Tsareena set up a bit to something more offensive; Choice Band hits really hecking hard with Power Whip, while a scarf variant would let you have a check to Linoone. Additionally, I'm the biggest Hoopa fan ever and with Mandi in the tier now I think it's necessary to move your Z Crystal to it and using the standard set (I'll put an import). Sub + NP will also let you still beat Pyuku/Quag/Stall that the Psyshock + Energy Ball are presumably there for. If you're relying on getting a defiant boost for Primeape, it's not gonna need the Icium to nuke Gligar and such. Plus, the pokemon you're using Icium on aren't exactly doing too much back to you so it doesn't matter too much as to whether you can OHKO them or not and you're already hurting a lot w/ Life Orb. Not a huge fan of Flame Orb Jolteon, personally I'd use some sort of setup sweeper in that slot or a scarfer that takes advantage of what Hoopa/Pinsir weaken (Like Flygon or something unorthodox like Scarf Aero since you're pressuring Milo/Chesnaught/Mandibuzz/M Lix), but if you've been liking it you have more experience with your team and should know better :p.
Here's the hoopa set, enjoy and lemme know if any of my suggestions help!

Hoopa @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 248 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

The idea for a Choice Band or Choice Scarf on Tsareena is a solid one, but I wanted to avoid Choice items in order to retain momentum. Fightinium Z on Hoopa instead of Icium Z on Primeape is a pretty good idea too (especially since it avoids Focus Blast's terrible accuracy). I'll also have to give that Subplot set a try, it seems like it work pretty well. As for the Jolteon, I mainly use it to stop sweeps and other threats. With a Quick Feet boost, it can outspeed +1 Flygon, Feraligator, and Zygarde 10% (with a Timid nature) as well as +2 Cloyster and Unburden Slurpuff. If it can't kill it, it can at least put it in range for something (usually Pinsir with Quick Attack) to take it out. It's a pretty potent revenge killer and speed control.

In general, you suggestions were pretty good and much appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)