Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Then I should be running a diff spread; but does steel wing from CB talon actually ohko?
Can't calc atm, but I'm going to assume it can because it's a x4 hit.

Also, does Gastrodon actually handle the Latis? It doesn't like eating Dracos and Scarf variants can Trick you.

Yes, a 4x super effective move against 50/110 bulk which is further boosted by 1.5 will OHKO, even if it's coming off of like a base 80 attack stat
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 340-400 (141 - 165.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

e: Gastrodon can beat the latis 1v1 (no trickscarf) if it predicts right (latios goes draco and you recover), but it can't switch in on any move

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 325-383 (76.2 - 89.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 156-185 (36.6 - 43.4%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

To whoever made the Triple Bunny Core; I think it was AM , you say the sets are more placeholders than anything -- are there any better sets you've thought of since then, or do you literally mean placeholders for us to insert our own sets?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
To whoever made the Triple Bunny Core; I think it was AM , you say the sets are more placeholders than anything -- are there any better sets you've thought of since then, or do you literally mean placeholders for us to insert our own sets?
Team dependent mostly. Fake Out M-Lopunny, Band Azu, Scarf Diggersby is one example. Heal Bell Lopunny, Band Azu, SD Diggersby, etc. That core had moves designed for my partners at the time but it's really more on what your goal is really in terms of building. I've tried out different variants but there's not exactly any better sets when each group of sets serve different functions.

My defensive core I've been using.. Almost all scary offensive threats are taken care off with this core. Megagross is a problem though you will atleast be able to wear it down below 50% or even kill it if you can predict right. Has both Defog and Stealth Rock which is what every team should have imo. Type synergy is also pretty good, the types that aren't resisted are most of the time still easily handled by them if not by a other team mate. For example Ghost, Ice, Dragon, Dark and Psychic are the types not resisted by this core which Bisharp does handle.

(Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder

(Zapdos) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]

(Swampert) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Ice Beam

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

My defensive core I've been using.. Almost all scary offensive threats are taken care off with this core. Megagross is a problem though you will atleast be able to wear it down below 50% or even kill it if you can predict right. Has both Defog and Stealth Rock which is what every team should have imo. Type synergy is also pretty good, the types that aren't resisted are most of the time still easily handled by them if not by a other team mate. For example Ghost, Ice, Dragon, Dark and Psychic are the types not resisted by this core which Bisharp does handle.

Not a newbie to the game but I am to the forum so feel free to give me tips or ask questions bout this core. :p
Sorry, regular swampert is not viable in OU. Swampert's only niche is a rain sweeper as mega swampert.

Yeah, Empoleon would do much of what you'd want Swampert to do, possibly a bit more, and gives you more resistances overall.

ampharos-mega.gif
empoleon.gif
landorus-therian.gif

This defensive core eats bird for breakfast. It has great synergy overall with the ability to set up SR and defog away the opposition's. It also has a slow volt turn core that allows you to send in offensive mons for free. Empoleon is a greninja check as well an azumarill and lati twin check with the ability to defog. Ampharos checks electric types like mega manectric and thundurus that give empoleon trouble as well as being able to switch emoleon in with volt switch. Landorus is used to set up SR as well as being a check to garchomp, talonflame and pretty much every fighting type in the game due to intimidate and its great defensive typing.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Defog

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Any feedback is appreciated.

View attachment 32861 View attachment 32860 View attachment 32862

This defensive core eats bird for breakfast. It has great synergy overall with the ability to set up SR and defog away the opposition's. It also has a slow volt turn core that allows you to send in offensive mons for free. Empoleon is a greninja check as well an azumarill and lati twin check with the ability to defog. Ampharos checks electric types like mega manectric and thundurus that give empoleon trouble as well as being able to switch emoleon in with volt switch. Landorus is used to set up SR as well as being a check to garchomp, talonflame and pretty much every fighting type in the game due to intimidate and its great defensive typing.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Defog

Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Core looks solid, but is screwed up by any mamoswine so I would run it with smth like rotomw too to counter it if it lacks freeze drty

I am here to offer an offensive core.

Just looking at their defensive typings, you already see the synergy between these two pokemon. Gengar is weak to Psychic and Ghost, for which Mega Gyarados provides an immunity and a resistance. Mega Gyarados has a weakness to Fighting, Grass, Fairy and Bug (screw you Electric), all most of which are resisted/immunitied (this is now a word) by Gengar. They also offensively KO many of each others threats, letting one of them finish a game up with ease. They have many sets to play around with, including various DD sets for Mega Gyarados and a plethora of moves to slap onto Gengar (Shadow Ball, Sludge Wave, Focus Miss Blast, Hex, Will-o-Wisp, Destiny Bond, Substitute, Taunt, Disable, Energy Ball, Thunderbolt...) This pair not only works well together, but can adapt to the needs of the rest of the team if necessary. It also holds the ability to play around with Landorus-Therian (Gengar can only be hit by Knock Off, which Mega Gyarados eats up), a very large threat at the moment. ORAS has given both of these pokemon lots of love, with Gengar being a very large threat to much of the meta and Mega Gyarados now getting access to STAB Crunch. This is definitely a core that should be looked at and prepared for.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Crunch

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Just looking at their defensive typings, you already see the synergy between these two pokemon. Gengar is weak to Psychic and Ghost, for which Mega Gyarados provides an immunity and a resistance. Mega Gyarados has a weakness to Fighting, Grass, Fairy and Bug (screw you Electric), all most of which are resisted/immunitied (this is now a word) by Gengar. They also offensively KO many of each others threats, letting one of them finish a game up with ease. They have many sets to play around with, including various DD sets for Mega Gyarados and a plethora of moves to slap onto Gengar (Shadow Ball, Sludge Wave, Focus Miss Blast, Hex, Will-o-Wisp, Destiny Bond, Substitute, Taunt, Disable, Energy Ball, Thunderbolt...) This pair not only works well together, but can adapt to the needs of the rest of the team if necessary. It also holds the ability to play around with Landorus-Therian (Gengar can only be hit by Knock Off, which Mega Gyarados eats up), a very large threat at the moment. ORAS has given both of these pokemon lots of love, with Gengar being a very large threat to much of the meta and Mega Gyarados now getting access to STAB Crunch. This is definitely a core that should be looked at and prepared for.

Earthquake on Mega Gyarados is basically only for Rotom-W, if you have it covered already, Sub is the way to go.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond
Slash Taunt on Gengar somewhere for support move. Helps M-Gyarados sweep much better when it doesn't have to worry about Leech Seed or other support moves that would deter it. Granted you made a mention of it but it's more important than just a simple mention.

Fixes made
I have another cool core to present, offensive once again because long live Hyperoffense.

Mega Lopunny + Raikou
Mega Lopunny, with Greninja surely leaving us, loses its primary partner in crime. Looking for a new one to play around with, I found Raikou. Mega Lopunny's threats are all of the birds, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Skarmory and Mandibuzz, which either hit it with priority to KO or tank what Lopunny throws out. Raikou nicely checks all of these, eating up the Flying moves and KOing them all with ease. It also beats Slowbro, which is able to absolutely crush Lopunny. Another threat Lopunny is weak to, Psychic types, are furthermore damaged heavily by Raikou's Shadow Ball (i.e. Megagross, Gallade, Jirachi, Latis...). Raikou also doesnt care too much about common Ground types because of Hidden Power Ice, often 4x effective, and so it can carry its own weight really well in that regard. Mega Lopunny does what it did before, hit everything with at least neutral coverage and have two other moves to play around with in the back: Fake Out, Healing Wish, Encore, Power Up Punch, Substitute, Baton Pass, Ice Punch (Helps with ground types for Raikou is needed), and Quick Attack. Mega Lopunny in return takes out threats that Raikou has trouble with such as Chansey, Heatran and a slightly damaged Ferrothorn (so that HJK KOs). It is a really fun core to use on Hyperoffense because both pokemon utilize high speeds to take out their threats.

Edit: If needed, use Thundurus-I for TWave support and resisted fighting type because it does a very similar job. Raikou is faster, stronger, and bulkier though.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Healing Wish
- Fake Out

Raikou @ Choice Specs
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

Last edited:
Here is another offensive core lol

Mega Charizard X + Starmie
This pair works very well, easing each others lives on the battlefield. When you have a team with Charizard you NEED hazard control, and Starmie provides it no problem with Rapid Spin while also hitting Mega Charizard X's threats. Who needs Latias when you have a LO boosted STAB Analytic boosted Hydro Pump ready to destroy Heatran? Thunderbolt ready to dent the hell out of any water type that might want to take a hit from +1 Mega Charizard X? Then you basically decide between Ice Beam to hit Dragons that outspeed Mega Charizard before boost i.e. Garchomp and Latis (better option imo), or having a reliable stab with Psyshock. But you have a Ferro to wall Starmie? CATCH THIS FLARE BLITZ! Oh damn, Starmie can't really touch Venusaur without Psychock... CATCH THIS FLARE BLITZ! You get the drill, Starmie basically dents and KOs things for Charizard, and whatever it has trouble with, Charizard kills anyways. Yay. This pair is really fun to use, with the only drawback being that Starmie suffers LO recoil damage from using Rapid Spin, but I would say it is a fair price to pay for using such an great pair. I like using this on Hyperoffense, but it also fits on balance pretty well.

It was brought to my attention that Latios pretty much outclasses Starmie in its role by luring Heatran better with EQ for the KO and defogging without LO recoil

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Last edited:
Fixes made
I have another cool core to present, offensive once again because long live Hyperoffense.

Mega Lopunny + Raikou
Mega Lopunny, with Greninja surely leaving us, loses its primary partner in crime. Looking for a new one to play around with, I found Raikou. Mega Lopunny's threats are all of the birds, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Skarmory and Mandibuzz, which either hit it with priority to KO or tank what Lopunny throws out. Raikou nicely checks all of these, eating up the Flying moves and KOing them all with ease. Another threat Lopunny is weak to, Psychic types, are furthermore taken out by Raikou's Shadow Ball. Raikou also doesnt care too much about common Ground types because of Hidden Power Ice, often 4x effective, and so it can carry its own weight really well in that regard. Mega Lopunny does what it did before, hit everything with at least neutral coverage and have two other moves to play around with in the back: Fake Out, Healing Wish, Encore, Power Up Punch, Substitute, Baton Pass, Ice Punch (Helps with ground types for Raikou is needed), and Quick Attack. Mega Lopunny in return takes out threats that Raikou has trouble with such as Chansey, Heatran and a slightly damaged Ferrothorn (so that HJK KOs). It is a really fun core to use on Hyperoffense because both pokemon utilize high speeds to take out their threats.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Healing Wish
- Fake Out

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

Another cool option that I have been toying with on ho is scarf raikou, because it can beat talonflame after it gets an sd up. It can also hit scarf lando-t with an hp ice, which is a guranteed ko after rocks.

Another cool option that I have been toying with on ho is scarf raikou, because it can beat talonflame after it gets an sd up. It can also hit scarf lando-t with an hp ice, which is a guranteed ko after rocks.
Another combination I've tried out before is Lopunny+Thundurus. Thundurus is much squishier than Raikou but has the same kind of offensive synergy with Lopunny while also giving a fighting resistance and EQ immunity. Knock Off also can take care of Psychic types, priority Thunder Wave is also great (though there's not much Lopunny fears not being able to outspeed).

Thundurus works quite well too, and in the same way. Honestly could put it there with the same description despite the different moves because it helps Lopunny in the same way. boltsandbombers tell me if you would like it changed.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

This core is balanced.

So, I've been using this core of Talonflame + Gastrodon for quite a while, and it works out pretty well. While Gastrodon may not be so common in OU, it still manages to stop several attackers quite well. (Rotom-W, Magnezone/ton, Latios, Latias, and more stuff) I thought about using this along with Talonflame, because of its great typing synergy. Talonflame reliably takes on the Grass-types that trouble Gastrodon (Ferrothorn, Breloom, Mega Sceptile and Mega Venusaur, most imporatntly), and in advance, Gastrodon takes on Rock-types with Scald and Earth Power, as well as it can switch into Water-types and Electric-types attacks that bother Talonflame because of Gastrodon being immune to both moves, and it can beat them with a STAB attack or stall them out with Toxic.

So; Talonflame functions as a revengekiller against Grass-types among others, and Gastrodon stalls out several Pokemon that hinder Talonflame. That's what they basically do.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Roost

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
Sorry bud, gastrodon is really bad in this meta and loses to so many common threats and is way too passive.
Rethought it, gastro has some niches in walling offensive fires and electrics like tran / raikou / mega man and other stuff, adding.
View attachment 32861 View attachment 32860 View attachment 32862

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Defog

Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Looks good to me, adding.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Crunch

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
Great core, adding.
Fixes made

Mega Lopunny + Raikou
Mega Lopunny, with Greninja surely leaving us, loses its primary partner in crime. Looking for a new one to play around with, I found Raikou. Mega Lopunny's threats are all of the birds, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Skarmory and Mandibuzz, which either hit it with priority to KO or tank what Lopunny throws out. Raikou nicely checks all of these, eating up the Flying moves and KOing them all with ease. It also beats Slowbro, which is able to absolutely crush Lopunny. Another threat Lopunny is weak to, Psychic types, are furthermore damaged heavily by Raikou's Shadow Ball (i.e. Megagross, Gallade, Jirachi, Latis...). Raikou also doesnt care too much about common Ground types because of Hidden Power Ice, often 4x effective, and so it can carry its own weight really well in that regard. Mega Lopunny does what it did before, hit everything with at least neutral coverage and have two other moves to play around with in the back: Fake Out, Healing Wish, Encore, Power Up Punch, Substitute, Baton Pass, Ice Punch (Helps with ground types for Raikou is needed), and Quick Attack. Mega Lopunny in return takes out threats that Raikou has trouble with such as Chansey, Heatran and a slightly damaged Ferrothorn (so that HJK KOs). It is a really fun core to use on Hyperoffense because both pokemon utilize high speeds to take out their threats.

Edit: If needed, use Thundurus-I for TWave support and resisted fighting type because it does a very similar job. Raikou is faster, stronger, and bulkier though.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Healing Wish
- Fake Out

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
Adding

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)