Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I guess it's worth it, I thought you were referring to "standard thundurus" with t-wave + 3 attacks. It's definitely worth it then.

Yeah I guess it's worth it, I thought you were referring to "standard thundurus" with t-wave + 3 attacks. It's definitely worth it then.
Well, it also means you can come in on a weakened Thundurus and revenge kill it without prior boosts if it's low enough. I just think you don't have much to gain with 2HP extra, but with 2HP less, you have added insurance against an absolute top-tier threat. It's literally only 2HP!

Obviously you'll want to scout his movepool beforehand, but if paralysis is that big a deal, you could always run a cleric.

Alright i got a solid core ive been working on recently around serp i call it the dual snake core. Anyways.. it uses a fire water grass core around contrary serp. Now... before i go on id like to point out serp is not the best pokemon in ou however it does have a niche to it. This is in my opinion i nice bulky balenced core that personally is fairly good. Would do pictures but im on my phone Atm.

Serperior (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Dragon Pulse

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Gyarados-Mega (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Taunt/Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Core is very straight forward. Serp acts as a nice late game cleaner with contrary as it gets to abuse leaf storm. Its also fairly fast which helps it out quite a bit. Tran and gyra take care of pesky fire types. Heatrans purpose is to take care of fairies and set up rocks as the extra damage from them really help Serperior out as well as help gyara sweep. Mamoswine kinda beats this core fairly easy or damages it very hard. Gyara acts as the late game sweeper and can set up really easy thanks to its great bulk. Sub is slashed over taunt as chances are you will taunt the same things you will sub up on. Sub is for getting a free dd as well as ease predictions.

Alright i got a solid core ive been working on recently around serp i call it the dual snake core. Anyways.. it uses a fire water grass core around contrary serp. Now... before i go on id like to point out serp is not the best pokemon in ou however it does have a niche to it. This is in my opinion i nice bulky balenced core that personally is fairly good. Would do pictures but im on my phone Atm.

Serperior (F) @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Dragon Pulse

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Taunt/Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Core is very straight forward. Serp acts as a nice late game cleaner with contrary as it gets to abuse leaf storm. Its also fairly fast which helps it out quite a bit. Tran and gyra take care of pesky fire types. Heatrans purpose is to take care of fairies and set up rocks as the extra damage from them really help Serperior out as well as help gyara sweep. Mamoswine kinda beats this core fairly easy or damages it very hard. Gyara acts as the late game sweeper and can set up really easy thanks to its great bulk. Sub is slashed over taunt as chances are you will taunt the same things you will sub up on. Sub is for getting a free dd as well as ease predictions.
Your EV spreads need some refining. On mega gyarados, run max attack and max speed with a jolly nature. At +1, you can outspeed a lot more things, and although you lose some power, at least you won't be revenge killed by stuff like mega beedrill.
On heatran, run 248 EVs in HP to maximize lefties recovery, and 68 speed EVs to outspeed standard cro cune and creep mega scizor. You need to creep suicune so you can taunt it before it uses CM.
This core is kinda similar to the other one, with heatran instead of talonflame.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Lunar Dance

I've grown on this core a lot. It's very basic, but that's why I like it so much and I find it's quite easy to fit on a team without a mega, and it works well with Volt-Turn too.

The idea of the core is that you give Metagross a second life. Most teams I've encountered can counter Megagross once, but when Metagross is statused, badly hurt, and useless, Cresselia can come in and give it another life and Metagross can power through a weakened team.

Cresselia is very bulky on both sides, but I chose to go with physical bulk to pair well with Landorus-T. Cresselia is bulky enough to go either way, so the EV spread can be changed as you see fit. The speed EV's are to outspeed Rotom-W with 44 speed EV's, and hit it with Toxic, or heal with Moonlight before it volt switches out. Cresselia goes with double status to weaken fast attackers, and walls that can't hurt it so much. Toxic is great against Rotom and Manectric, as well as Lando-T, while Thunder Wave is great against other Metagross, Charizards, among others.

The Metagross set is pretty self-explanatory. There are the two main STAB options, Ice Punch for Landorus T, and Earthquake for Heatran. The last slot can be changed to the team's liking, be it Hammer Arm, Bullet Punch, Grass Knot, and other lovely moves.
Agreeing with husky, I dont like this core.
These two Pokemon fit on completely different playstyles, metagross on offense and cress on stall, and they dont have great synergy outside of cress covering metagross's ground weakness. This core just makes you significantly weaker to threats such as bisharp, gengar, and mega gyarados.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Lunar Dance

I've grown on this core a lot. It's very basic, but that's why I like it so much and I find it's quite easy to fit on a team without a mega, and it works well with Volt-Turn too.

The idea of the core is that you give Metagross a second life. Most teams I've encountered can counter Megagross once, but when Metagross is statused, badly hurt, and useless, Cresselia can come in and give it another life and Metagross can power through a weakened team.

Cresselia is very bulky on both sides, but I chose to go with physical bulk to pair well with Landorus-T. Cresselia is bulky enough to go either way, so the EV spread can be changed as you see fit. The speed EV's are to outspeed Rotom-W with 44 speed EV's, and hit it with Toxic, or heal with Moonlight before it volt switches out. Cresselia goes with double status to weaken fast attackers, and walls that can't hurt it so much. Toxic is great against Rotom and Manectric, as well as Lando-T, while Thunder Wave is great against other Metagross, Charizards, among others.

The Metagross set is pretty self-explanatory. There are the two main STAB options, Ice Punch for Landorus T, and Earthquake for Heatran. The last slot can be changed to the team's liking, be it Hammer Arm, Bullet Punch, Grass Knot, and other lovely moves.
I'd use Hammer Arm instead of Earthquake on a 4 Attacks set, as it still hits Heatran hard (without fearing Balloon) while allowing you to to beat Skarmory 1-on-1.

Serperior (F) @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Dragon Pulse

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Taunt/Substitute
- Dragon Dance

I agree with you that Knock Off is viable on Serperior, but its not reason enough to run Hasty over Timid. Knock Off is mostly used for its utility. I'd also go for 240 Speed EVs, as it allows you to outspeed Thundurus. The only thing you miss outspeeding is other Serperior with higher Speed. But in that matchup, generally whichever Serperior got its Leaf Storm Boost first wins.
If you look in this thread's OP, I posted a very similar core. You might like that one.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

excited eagle (Pidgeot) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

smug snake (Serperior) @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Dragon Pulse

muscular mole (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Reversal

alright, so this core is built on the premise of fuck heatran, so we have duggy to exterminate the bugger. pidgeot has uturn to give free switches into duggy/anything else on the team if the opponent is scared to switch in heatran. serperior here makes chansey easier to break via knock off, and doesnt need HP fire because pidgeot has heat wave to beat ferro/zor/etc. dugtrio here has stealth rock, which enables me to dodge the problem of having to set them vs mega sableye completely. reversal and 21 HP evs ensure that it will be at 1 HP after 2 seismic tosses, which allows it to weaken chansey to the point where it cant counter pidgeot/snake any more. the wacky EVs on serp allow it to outspeed base 110s.
Remove the HP EVs and make the IV 29 for a Life Orb number.

Also, edit the core Ben posted to remove mentions of how Gyarados deals with Talonflame, because it's not a consistent answer (can get OHKO'd by +1 Sharp Beak after Rocks in vanilla form). Just Speed creep with the listed Talonflame set or add a consistent Birdspam check like Defensive Lando-T (which also provides Rocks).

+1 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 237-280 (71.6 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
You should add 4 more EVs to speed on raikou so you can outspeed thundurus.
Also why HP Ice lando? Sounds like a gimmick.
Other than that, sounds pretty nice.
Raikou and Starmie already handle stuff like gliscor, garchomp and defensive lando-t.

Karxrida

Eventide
You should add 4 more EVs to speed on raikou so you can outspeed thundurus.
Also why HP Ice lando? Sounds like a gimmick.
Other than that, sounds pretty nice.
Raikou and Starmie already handle stuff like gliscor, garchomp and defensive lando-t.
My memory is fuzzy, but I believe HP Ice Lando-T was a thing last gen for other Landos and Gliscor. It's not like Lando-T's SpA is horrible.

0 SpA Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 220-260 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 220-260 (68.9 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Remove the HP EVs and make the IV 29 for a Life Orb number.

Also, edit the core Ben posted to remove mentions of how Gyarados deals with Talonflame, because it's not a consistent answer (can get OHKO'd by +1 Sharp Beak after Rocks in vanilla form). Just Speed creep with the listed Talonflame set or add a consistent Birdspam check like Defensive Lando-T (which also provides Rocks).

+1 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 237-280 (71.6 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It works well enough to be mentioned. Talonflame certainly cannot switch into it safely.

I find this core to be pretty useful to use as a defensive core, it works wonders in balanced teams as they are not simply walls but tanks.They can cover a good portion of the OU meta defensively.

(Heatran) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect/Roar

(Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

(Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 232 HP / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Earthquake/Knock Off

These three Pokemon provide a bevy of resistances between them and the bulk to back it up. Heatran provides rock support for the team as well as an opportunity to eat up fire attacks and break common walls with Toxic. Heatran is specially defensive but still stops Talonflame, the up and coming Serperior ( as long as it has no HP ground ), and just about any other specially offensive pokemon without a super effective move. It runs into problems against Earth Power Heatran but can either switch out or roar away to get a little bit more rocks damage. Any ground types, Mega Metagross, Landorus' or Keldeo's may be covered by switching into either Rotom or Venusaur. Keldeo cannot do very much damage to Venusaur at all and it swiftly eliminated by Giga Drain. Rotom can even survive up to 3 Secret Swords as long as it is not Specs Keldeo after leftovers recovery due to defense investment. Rotom can burn or Hydro Pump landorus rendering it useless, as well as burn Metagross. Venusaur has respectable bulk even without defense investment and can be used to bait switch ins and deal dent (not chip) damage or KO's. Venusaur can easily handle Rotom as well. Knock Off can deal up to 60% to Latios on the switch in, HP Fire Can 2hko bisharp and ferrothorn, as well as OHKO Scizor and Mega Scizor barring bulky Mega Scizor. The average player might suspect that if you reveal Hp Fire, EQ, or Knock Off on Venusaur that there will be no other uncommon moves besides that one with allows you to sometimes deal massive damage to two of the targets that those moves are there for. I neglected to put Synthesis there on purpose due to the fact that Giga Drain provides restorative support and this set is used as a tank, not a wall. This core does however have a large weakness to Mega Medicham and Mega Gallade and Mega Lopunny. Return can 2hko Venusaur and Rotom, and a HJK, or CC from any of them OHKO's Heatran. HJK and CC 2hko Rotom as well from Medicham and Gallade. Due to this weakness this core appreciates having Defensive Landorus support, or even Defensive Arcanine as a partner to cripple and lower the attacks of these powerhouses. It isn't a perfect core but It leaves you well off enough defensively that 3 offensive threats added to this team can prove to be a headache for your opponent.

Last edited:
Just wondering, why are you running a modest nature with earthquake and knock off? I think you should use rash or something instead. Also, as a grass special attacker, I would almost always use mega sceptile. It has a better secondary STAB move, and much higher speed. I would probably run defensive venusaur over offensive venusaur on that core.

This core was built with the objective to create a coverage against Charizard counters, this can be used supporting each type of the mega zards, such x and y, I thought about creating a way to check the charizard counters so it can set up and win the game for me, while this tree mons support each others, zard covers starmie weakness and raikou covers each zard and starmie weakness against electric types, there is a fourth pokemon that can be used with this core that is Lando-T, to give ground immunity, since this three mons are weak to ground.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

--------------------------------

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
I kind of made a core pretty much like this recently, but I took it down because Starmie isn't good enough. LO recoil from Rapid Spin is stupid annoying, and it doesnt lure anything good (Of course Tran will switch out, stuff like that). Latios does better with that, having EQ under it's belt to kill off unsuspecting Tran, and doesnt take recoil from Defogging + gets rid of screens. Also, this is way too EQ weak, so levitate takes care of that for you. Would recommend the switch.

Last edited:
Offensive Core: Sylveon + Keldeo

I'm really fuckin busy tonight so I'll have to elaborate a bit more tomorrow but I'll place this and basic reasoning here so I don't forget it later. The basic reasoning behind this core being that Specs Sylveon and Scarf Keldeo together destroy a lot of common stallmon - Sylveon defeating the usual Sable, Slow, Alo, Venu etc. , while Keld takes care of Heatran, Lando, Gliscor, all that good stuff. The core alone struggles with other steels tho like mag and ferro so a pokemon like heatran is a great pairing with it; in fact Heatran could possibly be added to the core for reasons I'll have to elaborate upon later. Sets are the standard specs and scarf in OU analyses right now I don't have time to get; more on this later as I keep saying

~~~can kurona ever make a core without sylveon~~~

Just wondering, why are you running a modest nature with earthquake and knock off? I think you should use rash or something instead. Also, as a grass special attacker, I would almost always use mega sceptile. It has a better secondary STAB move, and much higher speed. I would probably run defensive venusaur over offensive venusaur on that core.
Because it would require significant investment in attack to Ohko Heatran with earthquake and that would take away from its use as a special attacker. It'd be ridiculous to stay in for more than one hit with the Lati twins, and venusaur can eat lava plume and 2hko heatran, though to stay in with heatran wouldn't be smart. EQ is a 2hko with reasonable investment or without so there is no point in lowering special attack or sp def. I can't tell you how many times someone has brought in Heatran to be smacked with EQ, then try to switch into ferrothorn or scizor to attempt to set up only to be KO'd with HP Fire. I know this set looks odd on appear but it has worked for me. Venusaur has more balance and bulk and lasts longer than sceptile, as well as beating sceptile 1 v 1. This is meant for defense not offense.

Well I mean heatran already handles ferrothorn and scizor, and rotom-w already handles heatran. Don't really know why you need earthquake or HP Fire. You said that it's meant for defense, but why are you running on offensive set? Just run the standard defensive set, imo it's better on that core.

I see your reasoning there, I forgot that he has those moves due to the other members of my team and to stop constant switching and pulling doubles. But hp fire helps regardless to stop leech seeding and make ferrothorn switch or die at least.

Karxrida

Eventide
I understand the "dies to +1 Brave Bird", but being "2HKOed by Band" isn't relevant since Gyarados OHKOs with Waterfall.
Did you switch in on a BB or mispredict and Dragon Dance thinking it would switch out on a revenge? Congrats, you're dead. You're an EXTREMELY a shaky check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)