Resource ORAS OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
i find ice punch necessary on metagross these days because of how common garchomp, landorus-t, and gliscor (more taunt sets nowadays) are. most of them lack grass knot, so more than usual, slowbro and hippowdon are more common switchins because it is assumed as a 'rarity' compared to early oras. i have experimented with a lot of its sets so i really think it goes like this: standard ice punch, pursuit, standard grass knot, agility, subpup.

absol is pretty damn ass lol. i prefer sdpass and mix. normal sd is just easily walled and outclassed.

Except cases of that actually happening are so rare that it is hardly a selling point - plus it makes Metagross completely exploitable for whatever comes in after due to it being at -3 speed after hitting the roosting Skarmory (unless it waits a turn to mega and then megas, in which case it is at -2 and still exploitable anyway). If it wants to beat Skarm it'll just run T-Punch rofl.

Also yeah setup gross is kinda meh 'cause it is so reliant on that last slot for coverage, priority or utility that in order for Agiligross, HoneGross or PuPGross to actually be worth using it needs the entire team supporting it.
Thunder Punch has a big chance failing to Roost-spam + rocky helmet,it's a gambit on RNG.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 132-156 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

In the discussions of playstyles it has come to my realization that Stall is probably the most difficult in this metagame. Not to meme or anything but the amount of thought you must put into Stalling, as well as the immense amount of teambuilding and testing just to get a team thats not assfucked by some rando poke, make stall such a difficult style to pull off. Its quite clear why we dont see it often in tournaments.

Hyper Offense is clearly the most braindead style, literally le click clack a button.
Bulky Offense is pretty cool, except stall usually shits on it nowadays.
Balance is probably the second most skillfull playstyle, mainly because unlike other styles you actually have to think for more than two seconds.

So why am i saying this? Well my main point here is that, with my all-seeing eye i have noticed stall is coming back, it seems that there are just a few more decent players coming out of the woodwork and making great use of differing Sabel teams. It also seems that the sabelye meme has gone down so intellectual stall users such as myself can finally make use without it being fucked by twave clef (btw no skill involved with that mon rof0l).

To conclude, i think we will see a rise in pokemon such as umbreon, as i have also noticed less fighting types besides the average couple. Conkeldurr is literal dick so i suggest you all drop it.

Subjugator

Banned deucer.
Oh, Stall. I can never build a halfway decent stall team. But when I do build a Stall Team, I like to base it around Mega Altaria as opposed to Mega Sableye. Mega Altaria has a better offensive presence, and can slowly accumulate Dragon Dance boosts and proceed to sweep, and definitely has the bulk to run a successful Bulky Dragon Dance Set.

Yes I do agree that Stall is the most skillful, as you must stress team synergy mechanics much more than any other style of Pokemon Battling, requiring more effort to teambuild but overall producing awesome results.

And while on the subject of Mega Metagross, while also relating back to the concept of stall. I think that Slowking is one of the best Mega Metagross counters of all time, with Assault Vest and Defensive Sets not fearing Grass Knot very much, as well as resisting both of Mega Metagross's STABs. Unlike Slowbro, Slowking doesn't suffer 4 Moveslot Syndrome as much and an Assault Vest Set can hit back with a Fire Blast or a Scald, both of which can either hurt or cripple Mega Metagross.

Note: It's my 100th Post, yay for me. Here's to 100 more posts!

Hello! I've been running this Mega-Absol set for a while and it works well.
(Absol-Mega) (M) @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Just for clarity fire blast is for ferro, scizor and late game mons that are regular weak to fire
And also I am aware this set is weak to azumarill but what set doesn't have weaknesses
Edit: Another clarification is that this is for OU not UU

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The most successful and popular stall team going around right now is definitely the CM Mega Bro stall that's been seen a LOT in SPL lately. It seems to have a lot more success than most Mega Sableye teams because CM Mega Bro is a really strong win coin that many teams struggle to beat late game, whereas the standard Mega Sableye stall lacked a solid win condition and therefore was easier to take advantage throughout the match and had a harder time securing the victory. Mega Bro in general is just very difficult to stop after a boost or two, because a lot of teams struggle to break through it if they lack Toxic or a strong wallbreaker. Hazard control is definitely more of an issue without Mega Sableye, so it depends a lot more on Skarm for Defog, which is why Shed Shell has seen usage on it so Zone can't cock block it. Manaphy can be an issue as well as Hoopa U, but that shouldn't be too much of a suprise (Scarf T-tar is decent Hoopa U insurance but usually requires a sack to trap it). With Mega Bro, Torn-T seems to be less of a problem, at least the non Taunt variants, as after one CM it can easily avoid the 2HKO from Hurricane, whereas Sableye stall usually lacks a solid way to deal with any Torn-T at all. Mega Bro also helps prevent stall from completely crumbling to practically every good CM sweeper in tier thanks to Psyshock and its ability to boost alongside them while ignoring crits. It provides much better insurance against CM Clef, Suicune, Manaphy, Mega Zam, and Latios.

Stall is always going to struggle in the meta, especially with great breakers in the tier such as Torn-T, Hoopa U, Manaphy, and even Mega Chomp running around, but it is quite interesting to see how it finds a way to adapt regardless of how the odds seem to be against it all the time. I predict that down the road, dedicated win cons are going to be required in order to apply more pressure throughout the match, especially late game when the wallbreakers have done their job and the set up sweepers could potentially slip through the cracks when given a chance. CM Bro seems to be a step in that direction, as it gives stall a better way to pressure teams while maintaining a strong defensive presence. Full stall is definitely on its way out the door, it's just too passive and leaves it wide open to strong wallbreakers and set up sweepers.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Calm Mind sets necessitate the use of Calm Mind and special STAB move, so they are more linear and predictable. With the utility set, you get to abuse Knock Off (amazing for switch-ins like Heatran) and it frees up the last moveslot for a variety of choices like Fake Out, Protect, Toxic and Foul Play. Essentially CM Sableye requires support to sweep while Utility Sableye supports the rest of the team better, making it generally more useful and splashable.

Subjugator

Banned deucer.
I haven't used Volcanion yet; is he similar to Heatran, or is he different? I'd imagine Volcanion taking a more offensive approach. In fact, is Volcanion viable altogether? These are questions that I ask to wonder whether I should build a team around it or not. Just food for the thought.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Trying to make a new Mew set. I have a SD set, an NP set, and a SpD stall set. What is another set that is relatively distinct from these sets that works for Mew?

Trying to make a new Mew set. I have a SD set, an NP set, and a SpD stall set. What is another set that is relatively distinct from these sets that works for Mew?
Mew has a rather diverse amount of options for it to choose from. Aside from what you stated it can run a pretty effective mixed lure set, oftentimes paired with something that'd like their checks removed like Mega Medicham and Mega Gyarados. In terms of utility you could try a Defog set but it's generally lackluster compared to Starmie or Lati@s.

Mew has a rather diverse amount of options for it to choose from. Aside from what you stated it can run a pretty effective mixed lure set, oftentimes paired with something that'd like their checks removed like Mega Medicham and Mega Gyarados. In terms of utility you could try a Defog set but it's generally lackluster compared to Starmie or Lati@s.
It's the KB Mew, so no Defog is available...

4 attacks mew is ass lol once they see a life orb or no leftovers it is obvious you are some crazy set. if you want to lure, i'd try np with lefties so bp is a possibility or just run np celebi with different hidden powers / moves

4 attacks mew is ass lol once they see a life orb or no leftovers it is obvious you are some crazy set. if you want to lure, i'd try np with lefties so bp is a possibility or just run np celebi with different hidden powers / moves
Except on cart, Celebi can't have NP as a KB pokemon, making this suggestion about as useful as Defog.

Doesn't Mega Sableye itself have a CM set that was kinda popular once upon a time? Why hasn't that seen so much use?
I've seen an interesting Power-up Punch/Shadow Sneak/Knock Off/Recover Mega Sableye set,which can act as a mediocre wincon late-game when facing the balance and stall team,just like all the other Bulky-Boost-Recover Pokemon.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Many people waste their evening to create a RMT as their 1000th post. I prefer to waste my evening making this as my 1000th post. People who have battled against me often probably know I love to use lower tier pokemon. While my innovation is not yet on the level I've seen before in the OU forum (including but not limited to Hone Claws Kyurem-B, Typhlosion and Resttalk Roar Emboar), I think some of the pokemon I use need some further explanation on why you would ever use them. In this post I will discuss some of my favorite unranked pokemon I have been using in the last few months. Some pokemon are serious and they deserve a spot on some teams, others are just gimmicks that are fun to use.

I don't really know why but I always disliked Mega Aggron as a bulky Steel-type Mega in the rare occasions that you don't just run Mega Scizor. I started playing with Mega Steelix when everyone spammed arguably one of the most skilled set in Pocket Monster history: Thunder Wave Clefable. The big advantage obviously being that you are immune to Thunder Wave and don't care about Moonblast. Even the Flamethrower sets are in a though position because a +1 Flamethrower does pretty underwhelming damage to a fully invested Mega Steelix, while Heavy Slam has a decent chance to KO Clefable after a bit of prior damage (a Volt Switch from Rotom-W will probably be enough prior damage). I always wanted to try out Adamant Curse Mega Steelix on a sand team, but the fact that you either have to overlap weaknesses with Excadrill or Tyranitar, or not use Excadrill at all made it a no-go to me. On the other hand, standard SpD Mega Steelix was one of my favorite mega's to use a few months ago because it stopped so many common pokemon like Raikou, Clefable, Mega Altaria and Weavile. Unfortunately, the metagame shifted more towards pokemon like Mega Alakazam and Excadrill and while you can still take a hit or dodge a Focus Blast, you are pressured much more. That being said, Mega Steelix is a great Tornadus-T check, only fearing Focus Blast and LO Heat Wave. Mega Aggron is probably the better mega 90% of the time (and Mega Scizor is better than Mega Aggron 90% of the time) but the day Thunder Wave Clefable will be on every balanced team again, will be the day this beauty will deserve a spot on my newest team.

Coincidentally, Virizion is one of the pokemon I wanted to use this week to lure in Mega Venusaur and the overhyped Amoonguss but my interest for this pokemon has its roots back in October. Breloom is without a doubt the strongest competition for Virizion, but the much better Speed tier and coverage for Poison-Types (without having to run a Lure Berry) are so important in a pretty offensive metagame like this one. The main reason I liked Virizion is because it is a very solid Manaphy check, especially with Lum or Yache Berry.
Virizion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Zen Headbutt

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
The first time I build with Virizion was really as a team that used Virizion as a main win condition with the other pokemon supporting its sweep. Metagross was a no-brainer as a teammate, being able to beat Fairy-Types, trap Latios, trap Alakazam and weakening Tornadus-T and Mega Aerodactyl with Pursuit hoping they weren't running LO Heat Wave or Earthquake. It is a pretty straightforward core consisting of a setup sweeper and a trapper so I don't have much more to say about this one.
Virizion @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Taunt

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
Synergy wise this core also shouldn't really come as a surprise. Heatran resists or is immune to every weakness of Virizion. Annoying pokemon such as Mega Venusaur, Talonflame and Clefable become a lot less dangerous with Heatran on your side and while it doesn't really beat Charizard-Y, Mega Gardevoir and Tornadus-T if you don't run Chople Berry, you can at least use Heatran as a pivot against these pokemon. This gives Virizion a lot more freedom in its moveset, giving it opportunities to use Synthesis or Taunt instead of Stone Edge or Zen Headbutt. I think that Lum Berry is the best item here because it enables Virizon to switch in some bulky Water types that Heatran hates. With Taunt, Virizion can break through some of its original counters like Whirlwind Skarmory and Celebi, while also preventing Landorus-T and Garchomp from laying rocks and pokémon like Clefable and Mega Scizor from healing.

Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab / Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak
- Brick Break / Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
Like I said in the beginning of this post, some of the pokemon I mention here are serious and some of there are funny gimmicks. Muk is definitely belongs with the latter. I started playing with Muk a week ago when I was looking for a check to Clefable, Serperior, Thundurus and Tornadus-T (you know you did something wrong while teambuilding if you still have to cover those pokemon with only 1 slot left) and because I didn't want to go for something too standard I decided to just scroll through the tiers and look until I find a nice pokemon. Muk stood out as a solid Serperior counter and since then I just can't stop playing with this pokemon. Before discussing its defensive niche, let's take a quick look at its offensive capabilities. Because Muk lacks a boosting item and a powerful STAB besides Gunk Shot, its coverage is pretty weak. Even though it is able to cover many pokemon between Ice, Fire/Fighting and Poison coverage, you shouldn't really be surprised if you Ice Punch a Defensive Landorus-T, only to take 45% of its health. Chances are you are going to click Poison Jab 90% of the time anyways because it has a 51% chance to Poison with Poison Touch, but it still shows that walling Muk isn't exactly the thoughest job in the world. Defensively, Muk is able to check quiet some common pokemon in the OU tier: Serperior, Gengar, Thundurus, Clefable, Breloom, Manaphy, Volcarona, Tornadus-T, Heatran, and Mega Manectric all have a really big chance of being countered by Muk (exceptions being TG Psychic Manaphy, Spore SD Breloom and Gunk Shot misses). Outside of that, Muk has to get lucky with the 51% chance to Poison (30% if you use Gunk Shot or any other move) but from my experience you will get the poison with PJab around 65% of the time. Shadow Sneak is there just for priority if you know you are going to die and try to get off the poison, but it also helps against Gengar, Alakazam and Mega Gardevoir.

Would have loved to talk about other nice pokemon like Durant and Sigilyph but I'm tired atm so I will leave that for another time. Shoutouts to the Dutch room on Pokemon Showdown and the regular posters of the OU Forum (I'm too lazy to tag) for the past 1.5 year here on Smogon + PS.

Since I haven't played the game for quite some time, I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are on the current overall state of the OU metagame. One of the things that stood out to me earlier this year was a couple pages back where PK Gaming said that the metagame is legitimately fun now. Do most people find that to be the case? I haven't seen many complaints about any one particular Pokemon lately (although I may be looking in the wrong place), so am I correct in assuming that the metagame is pretty balanced right now? Does the current metagame allow for a lot of freedom and creativity in teambuilding? You know, stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)