Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Is there a reason to run normal Heracross over it's Mega? I guess Guts and a higher speed tier is nice, especially for outspeeding non Scarf Hoopa-Unbound, but is it really worth not having the bulk to take on threats like Bisharp? I'm just askingnthis because I noticed Heracross at C in the VR.
It's not great but it's okay. I've used a variety of sets (basically the UU ones) and Band or SD work pretty well while I find Scarf subpar since you can use other scarfers to a better extent

Sobi

Banned deucer.
What does it mean by "anti-meta"? Does it mean too overpowered for the current metagame?

Edit: Also, do the last 4 EVs make a big difference? Eg: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def - does it matter where the remaining 4 EV's go?

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Edit: Also, do the last 4 EVs make a big difference? Eg: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def - does it matter where the remaining 4 EV's go?
The difference is very small and rarely makes a difference. When using un-speed-invested spreads, it is almost always best to put the extra EVs into speed due to it having a bigger effect than an extra point in defenses (although there are a handful of exceptions, such as when trying to underspeed something). In max speed spreads, a general rule of thumb is that it should go into SpD if defenses are equal (on the off chance you face a Download user) or HP if it doesn't leave you with a HP number which is detrimental for hazards, LO etc (once again, there are exceptions to these rules).

What does it mean by "anti-meta"? Does it mean too overpowered for the current metagame?
Anti-meta usually means that something is generally not very useful, but has a strong matchup against commonly used strategies in the meta. For instance, rain is a common and dominant playstyle in BW OU, making Swift Swim users like Kingdra a strong anti-meta pick (Drizzle + Swift Swim on the same team is banned there), but it doesn't do too well against teams that don't use rain.

What's the default Specs Hoopa-U set? I searched the past few pages and all I got was a debate on the merits of Thunderbolt. If I were to guess, its Dark Pulse/Psyshock/Focus Blast/Trick or Thunderbolt, Timid max/max.

As a side question, why is this now considered its best set? It used to be considered its worst set (not even listed on the current analysis except as a subpar side option). I'm confused as to what changed between then and now.

What's the default Specs Hoopa-U set? I searched the past few pages and all I got was a debate on the merits of Thunderbolt. If I were to guess, its Dark Pulse/Psyshock/Focus Blast/Trick or Thunderbolt, Timid max/max.

As a side question, why is this now considered its best set? It used to be considered its worst set (not even listed on the current analysis except as a subpar side option). I'm confused as to what changed between then and now.
Other cool options for the fourth move on the Specs set are Energy Ball, HP Ice (both are subpar and extremely situational, getting locked into these two moves is almost never a good idea) and Hyperspace Hole. HH is really neat since it can allow you to KO Diance and Beedrill if they try to Protect and mega evolve, while hitting physical defensive mons harder than Psyshock.

Tbh Specs Hoopa doesn't need anything outside of STABs + Focus Blast so you can generally run anything in the last slot. I'd say from best to worst it's probably Tbolt, Hyperspace Hole, Trick, HP Ice, and then Energy Ball.

I want to play an optimized team on Stadium - since Hyper Beam no longer skips recharging on a KO, what move should I run in place on Pokémon that use it normally (most notably, Tauros)? Are there any other relevant Pokémon that are normally less viable in Gen 1?

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Trick / Hyperspace Hole
hp ice is also a useful slash if u have tankchomp bait like baton pass mlop and really appreciate the ohko on fat grounds.

Is regular Hoopa a viable alternative to Hoopa-U to use during the suspect?
I think with Hoopa-U gone people might use normal Hoopa because 150 base power is nothing to scoff at. The only reason normal Hoopa is not used is because Hoopa-U is everything Hoopa is but better. But I think Hoopa can be a decent wallbreaker with a base 150 stat with the absense of U. It may be something for you to experiment with.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What would be good wincons for BO atm ? I already tried BU Talonflame and struggled with it, so I'd want to try something else.

I think Hoopa-C's biggest problem was being in Hoopa-U's shadow, but it nonetheless does carry some problems.

- Hoopa-U had next to no resistances, but he was neutral to quite a few things to let him eat a hit or two with his special bulk, and that one immunity did him good: Immunity to Psyshock (hitting his DEF) let him switch safely into Latios despite the Draco Meteor threat. Hoopa-C has 2 fairly worrying weaknesses and is vulnerable to Psyshock off quite a few Psychic types.

- Hoopa-C is a bit slower. While Hoopa-U wasn't a speed demon, Base 80 Speed was a good benchmark for him as a wallbreaker. Hoopa-C ties with Base 70's like Breloom and Bisharp, which means running an offensive nature isn't quite as safe for him against those, and he also doesn't outspeed standard Tankchomp or similarly Speed Creeping opponents.

- The big point against Hoopa-C is that he doesn't have the same unpredictability Hoopa-U did. One thing that makes U a monster is the ability to run multiple sets viably (this is a thing with so many uses that a Specs set is a RECENT idea despite Base 170 SpA with this movepool) with wholly different answers and all of them able to run trains over the Meta based on what the meta favors at the time. Hoopa-C can't run mixed or Physical sets as well, and I don't think it would perform shared roles quite as well as Unbound.

Hoopa-C may see a rise in OU viability while Hoopa-U is under suspect, but I'd put it at best around B+ for now in such a Meta.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what sets apart Garchomp and Lando-T as bulky ground types?
For simplicity I'll discuss their bulkier spreads, Tankchomp and Defensive Landorus-T.

Garchomp is better at getting chip damage against physical attackers and can beat stuff like Ferrothorn, Bisharp, and Scizor thanks to Fire Blast, which solidly 2hko's them all. It can phase with Dragon Tail and can more viably run stuff like Endure or Toxic.

Defensive Landorus takes hits a bit better iirc and hits opponents hard with Stone Edge (which it more commonly runs). It has U-Turn, which provides valuable pivoting for balance teams. I think its EQ hits harder as well. Most importantly, it is a Flying-type, which helps it check nearly every Ground-type in OU atm by nature of its excellent Ground/Flying typing. As such, it is an excellent choice against opposing sand teams. I find it easier to fit Landorus onto most teams than Tankchomp.

I think that both are good, but it takes analysis of the rest of your team's pokemon to figure out what you need to be checked/countered. That should help you decide which to use.

Additionally, Hippowdon is nice since most Electrics can't 2hko it with their coverage moves, it gets reliable recovery, and it can set sand. However, it is certainly more passive than the other two.

Been trying to breed a flawless Gible for the last 2 days and having no luck at all, Got a tournament tomorrow and need this bred and leveled asap. So was wondering if someone could tell me an IV spread that is ok for this Tank Chomp please. I have 5ivs of all possibilities. Just figured running fireblast to help with the steel mons going 31-31-31-xx-31-31 would lost a chunk of damage on the fireblast.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fireblast

Been trying to breed a flawless Gible for the last 2 days and having no luck at all, Got a tournament tomorrow and need this bred and leveled asap. So was wondering if someone could tell me an IV spread that is ok for this Tank Chomp please. I have 5ivs of all possibilities. Just figured running fireblast to help with the steel mons going 31-31-31-xx-31-31 would lost a chunk of damage on the fireblast.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fireblast
If you want to run TankChomp, for starters the preferred nature is Impish. But aside from that, you do want a 6 IV mon, as you're already going to be running 0- SpA anyway, and Fire Blast is the preferred move for specifically Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, which don't care about Chomp's STABs. If you're concerned about that last IV, you could run some alternative moves in the last slot: Toxic can cripple switchins; Endure allows you to survive one guaranteed hit and chip contact attackers even more; Stone Edge hits Skarmory for decent damage as well as Togekiss, which otherwise could care less what TankChomp does, and some other stuff like Mandibuzz, Zapdos, and Gyarados harder. That said, it's generally best to run Fire Blast, even if getting a hexaflawless Garchomp is a bit of a pain.

Hey i recently have become "locked" in showdown chat and don't really know what to do but not being able to communicate with my opponents or talk in ou chat really sucks can you explain how i get around it? by that i mean how do i get "unlocked" i think i'm "locked" because i posted a link to another website but didn't realise that would result in a lock and wasn't spamming or anything could you help plz cheers

Hi all,

For cartridge play with friends/randoms, I'm facing a choice between Hidden Power Fire and Knock Off on a defensive Venusaur set:

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
(EVs/nature undecided, leaning towards bold/def)
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power Fire/Knock Off

The only other Fire coverage on my team is Rotom/Overheat, whereas Dark has Mega Blastoise (Dark Pulse) and Heracross with Knock Off as well. Initially, HP Fire was used to combat other grass types and now with Sleep powder/LS mechanics, I need a surefire move to make sure I can challenge these guys.

Ignoring the difficulty in getting perfect IVs for HP Fire, my concern is being walled by Ferrothorn (Limited ways to deal with it on the rest of my team) Amoongus, or even Breloom. Knock Off's utility and generally neutral coverage is extremely useful, however, which could at least cripple attempts to stall out my own staller. Thoughts?

Hi all,

For cartridge play with friends/randoms, I'm facing a choice between Hidden Power Fire and Knock Off on a defensive Venusaur set:

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
(EVs/nature undecided, leaning towards bold/def)
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power Fire/Knock Off

The only other Fire coverage on my team is Rotom/Overheat, whereas Dark has Mega Blastoise (Dark Pulse) and Heracross with Knock Off as well. Initially, HP Fire was used to combat other grass types and now with Sleep powder/LS mechanics, I need a surefire move to make sure I can challenge these guys.

Ignoring the difficulty in getting perfect IVs for HP Fire, my concern is being walled by Ferrothorn (Limited ways to deal with it on the rest of my team) Amoongus, or even Breloom. Knock Off's utility and generally neutral coverage is extremely useful, however, which could at least cripple attempts to stall out my own staller. Thoughts?
HP Fire should only need to be used if your team struggles vs. Scizor or Ferrothorn, no? Because to other grass-types Sludge Wave always does more (STAB Boost). I think it's dependent on how good team support is for you to decide your moveset. For Example, I don't think Rotom-H would be a good consistent switch-in to Ferrothorn. If it were my team I would do Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, HP Fire, Synthesis. I would have something like LO Keldeo that takes care of steel types like Heatran. Also why is Venusaur not mega, is it a sun sweeper.

Can somebody pass me a good HO team that has a solid matchup against stall?
Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Ice Punch

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

I think the team takes care of a lot of things you find on stall faitly well. Chansey, Skarm, Sableye, Fat Waters. Found off of xtra's HO page

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)