Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bulky Starmie is the best hazard remover against most balanced teams since they tend to have issues preventing a spin or KOing it. These teams often rely on hazard damage to wear opposing teams down and it outspeeds a vast majority of balance mons. Bold Starmie is particularly annoying for a lot of hazard stack teams, unless they run Ttar.

Obviously there's matchup dependence so this is a bit of a generalization but yeah

What moveset should I give my Therian Tornadus?
Was thinking this:

Tornadus @ Life Orb / Assault Vest
Timid nature / Regenerator
31/31/31/31/31/31
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Hurricane
-U-Turn
-Focus Blast / Rain Dance / Knock Off / Heat Wave

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
What moveset should I give my Therian Tornadus?
Was thinking this:

Tornadus @ Life Orb / Assault Vest
Timid nature / Regenerator
31/31/31/31/31/31
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Hurricane
-U-Turn
dont run rain dance if youre not using a rain team (and even then there are better setters). otherwise that looks fine, though i wouldnt reccomend running those EVs on assault vest torn.

dont run rain dance if youre not using a rain team (and even then there are better setters). otherwise that looks fine, though i wouldnt reccomend running those EVs on assault vest torn.
Okay thanks! :D I put Assault Vest because i saw it on the Smogon dex, but I looked at it after I EV trained him so I'll probably stick with Life Orb. Just wanted an opinion on it.

I know it's not OU per se, but it's a competitive question. I've never used a Pokémon with Thick Fat before, so I'm in doubt on how the mechanics of it really work. Is the damage halved before or after applying type advantages? Let's suppose Rowlet, the Flying/Grass starter of SM gets it as a HA, it technically get hit 4x by Ice and 2x by Fire-type moves. How would this damage be? 2x for Ice and normal by Fire or anything else?

Thanks a lot =)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know it's not OU per se, but it's a competitive question. I've never used a Pokémon with Thick Fat before, so I'm in doubt on how the mechanics of it really work. Is the damage halved before or after applying type advantages? Let's suppose Rowlet, the Flying/Grass starter of SM gets it as a HA, it technically get hit 4x by Ice and 2x by Fire-type moves. How would this damage be? 2x for Ice and normal by Fire or anything else?

Thanks a lot =)
The damage is halved after applying type advantages. In the Rowlet example, it would take an effective 2x hit from Ice-type attacks, as it calculates the damage taken for a 4x super effective hit and then halves it (4/2=2), and it'd take an effective 1x hit from Fire-type attacks because it calculates the damage for the 2x hit (as signified by "It's super effective!") and then halves it (2/2=1).

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Thanks a lot =)
It halves the damage at the end of the damage calculation step, not unlike fur Coat, so the damage is halved after type effectiveness is taken into account.

E: fuck Martin. Lel

Is physical Mega Diancie viable or are its other set just far better? Rock is pretty spamable offensively so i'm curious as to how it does in comparison to its other set. Does anyone have any experience playing with or against it?

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Is physical Mega Diancie viable or are its other set just far better? Rock is pretty spamable offensively so i'm curious as to how it does in comparison to its other set. Does anyone have any experience playing with or against it?
It is a very viable set right now and is in my opinion the best set because max Attack invested Diamond Storm helps wear down a lot of Mega Diancie's usual checks, like Clefable and Amoonguss, and Rock STAB in general is just amazing right now. Furthermore, the decrease in power of Moonblast and Hidden Power Fire isn't too notable outside of missing out on OHKOing standard Bisharp at full health.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Diancie gets no physical Fairy STAB (#PlayRoughNotEnough) and no special Rock STAB, not even Power Gem, so a mixed set is pretty much the only way to take advantage of its full potential considering its attacking stats.
Edit: Oh, thought you meant fully physical, not mixed.

It is a very viable set right now and is in my opinion the best set because max Attack invested Diamond Storm helps wear down a lot of Mega Diancie's usual checks, like Clefable and Amoonguss, and Rock STAB in general is just amazing right now. Furthermore, the decrease in power of Moonblast and Hidden Power Fire isn't too notable outside of missing out on OHKOing standard Bisharp at full health.
This is neat to hear thanks for the reply Cheryl.!

Silver_Lucario42 Yes I meant mixed in the sense that you just run 252 Attack and spam Diamond storm with moonblast/Hp Fire as coverage, sorry for the confusion!

HailFall

I just checked the viability rankings for a friend and found out that Alomomola is B-. What does this nice Mon do that I'm not aware of?
It's the best wish passer in the game thanks to regen and it's ultra fat hp stat. along with this, it has enough bulk to check threats like Mega Diancie and Keldeo which lets it carve itself out a niche as a bulky water for more defensive teams

HailFall

Are there any good Modest Rotom-Wash sets (semi-)viable for OU? Perhaps with Thunderbolt over Volt Switch, and maybe an Assault vest?
Not really most of rotom's niches lie in its defensive properties. Av isn't very good because rotom is supposed to be taking on physical attackers.

Last edited:
Are there any good Modest Rotom-Wash sets (semi-)viable for OU? Perhaps with Thunderbolt over Volt Switch, and maybe an Assault vest?
Attacker Rotom-W isn't a good thing in this meta, i talk about sets like Specs Rotom and Scarf Rotom, AV is even worse since you cannot use Trick or WoW but Rotom-W is supposed to be a bulky utility tank with Leftovers so it needs to invest in physical defense, Volt Switch is what it makes so great since it is great to voltturn and is the main reason to run it, checking threats, spreading status and getting you momentum and is particullary helpful since Rotom-W isn't as fast and you can pull of some slow Volt Switches to get in threats safely, i don't see why would you use Rotom offensively, it seems to defeat the purpose of using it and doesn't seem to do much.

I'm running this Pinsir:

Mega-Pinsir
Jolly Nature
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
-Thrash
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Quick Attack

I want to fit X-Scissor on here. How necessary is Swords Dance or Quick Attack? I haven't had much of an opportunity to try him out, which is why I want to ask here for some thoughts.

I'm running this Pinsir:

Mega-Pinsir
Jolly Nature
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
-Thrash
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Quick Attack

I want to fit X-Scissor on here. How necessary is Swords Dance or Quick Attack? I haven't had much of an opportunity to try him out, which is why I want to ask here for some thoughts.
Both are important moves for Pinsir to sweep late-game. I don't see the point of using X-Scissor since it doesn't really hit things that your Aerilate moves don't hit already. And why Thrash over Return? I know it's more powerful but the side-effect is very off-putting. I don't even know if it gets significant KOes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)