Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I need help finding a substitute for my team. Since Thundurus isn't in the Kalos Dex, I have to replace him. Ideally, I'm looking for a fast special attacker, would be better if it had access to thunderbolt since I need that electric coverage. Oh, and it can't be greninja or a mega as I already have greninja and mega zard y on my team. Thanks for any advice :)

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys I need help finding a substitute for my team. Since Thundurus isn't in the Kalos Dex, I have to replace him. Ideally, I'm looking for a fast special attacker, would be better if it had access to thunderbolt since I need that electric coverage. Oh, and it can't be greninja or a mega as I already have greninja and mega zard y on my team. Thanks for any advice :)
Manectric

yeaboy12 this. it also synergizes (is that even a word?) well with Greninja and ZardY in the fact that it can absorb Electric attacks pre-mega.

edit: wait, oh shit it's not mega manectric.. hmm, idk, non-mega Manectric kinda blows hard.

Does Jolteon count?
Yeah, I already thought of manectric but without mega it's not too good. Jolteon seems pretty interesting, I think I'll try him out... Thanks!

Yeah, I already thought of manectric but without mega it's not too good. Jolteon seems pretty interesting, I think I'll try him out... Thanks!
Manectric is good in OU as a mega, but without a mega, it's really mediocre. Same goes with Jolteon (except for the part about being good with a mega, obviously). If you have access to Raikou, I would reccomend that, but it sounds like you don't. Really, the only Electric-types worth using in OU are either legendaries or megas. If you have access to Zapdos, that would work, as it can provide Defog support for your Charizard, but bear in mind that Zapdos is best used defensively in OU. However, if you don't need it to be an Electric-type, Aegislash and Gengar would work as they are great special attackers. Honestly though, as Thundurus is the second best Pokemon in the whole tier, I would reccomend just finding someone to trade with. It's well worth it.

Manectric is good in OU as a mega, but without a mega, it's really mediocre. Same goes with Jolteon (except for the part about being good with a mega, obviously). If you have access to Raikou, I would reccomend that, but it sounds like you don't. Really, the only Electric-types worth using in OU are either legendaries or megas. If you have access to Zapdos, that would work, as it can provide Defog support for your Charizard, but bear in mind that Zapdos is best used defensively in OU. However, if you don't need it to be an Electric-type, Aegislash and Gengar would work as they are great special attackers. Honestly though, as Thundurus is the second best Pokemon in the whole tier, I would reccomend just finding someone to trade with. It's well worth it.
Well Raikou has the same problems as Thunderus that it isn't in the kalos dex so of all the pokemon, you're best bet would be Zapdos.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well Raikou has the same problems as Thunderus that it isn't in the kalos dex so of all the pokemon, you're best bet would be Zapdos.
Take into account this Zapdos has no Defog/Heat Wave due to it being Transfer moves and a small chance of having good IVs/nature (Access to HP Ice) as well since you can only catch it.

Take into account this Zapdos has no Defog/Heat Wave due to it being Transfer moves and a small chance of having good IVs/nature (Access to HP Ice) as well since you can only catch it.
Well after looking at the complete Kalos pokedex the only electric types worth noting are: Heliolisk, Zapdos, Manectric, Jolteon, Magnezone, Rotom and maybe Lanturn. Maybe Rotom is a good fit as he has some bulk and hits quite hard. Also Rotom's forms can let it fit on almost any team.

What "tier" would we use for something like the online battling within the actual game? Is there any way to use more than just 3 monsters on the online battling?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What "tier" would we use for something like the online battling within the actual game? Is there any way to use more than just 3 monsters on the online battling?
Those follow Nintendo's official rules, which are dumb. I don't know their actual banlist, though. Probably ban Manaphy or some shit.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So after which ever they ban, just use "uber" stuff if we are allowed to?
I'm not understanding your question completely, but the ranked games (battle spot) is only 3v3 and follows nintendo's official rules and banlist, which allows things like Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar, which smogon have banned.

Smogon and Nintendo's tiering isn't related to one anything. If Smogon banned something, Nintendo wouldn't ban it, and vice-versa.

However, you can challenge your friend and both would agree to playing by Smogon rules etc.

These are the Battle Spot (ranked battles) rules btw http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/support/2/en/manual/manual_battle/basic-rules/

I'm not understanding your question completely, but the ranked games (battle spot) is only 3v3 and follows nintendo's official rules and banlist, which allows things like Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar, which smogon have banned.

Smogon and Nintendo's tiering isn't related to one anything. If Smogon banned something, Nintendo wouldn't ban it, and vice-versa.

However, you can challenge your friend and both would agree to playing by Smogon rules etc.

These are the Battle Spot (ranked battles) rules btw http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/support/2/en/manual/manual_battle/basic-rules/
Well I don't know anything about builds and stuff, so I'm wondering if I should just use the "uber" builds rather than the "ou" build for the same monster

aVocado

@ Everstone
Well I don't know anything about builds and stuff, so I'm wondering if I should just use the "uber" builds rather than the "ou" build for the same monster
Oh.. I get what you mean now. Tell us which Pokemon you're looking at and we'll help you as much as we can.

What do you mean the "ubers" build?

Any Singles battle on Nintendo's wifi has the following rules:

(1) 3v3 previewed Singles (You enter 6 and see each other's 6, but you then choose 3 based on what you see... so you can end up just picking 3 that are countered by what your opponent picks)
(2) Banned pokemon:
Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde
(3) No items, abilities, or moves banned. No other pokemon banned other than those listed in (2).
(4) All pokemon are set to level 50 and no two pokemon can have the same item.

These rules tend to be really dumb because they do not prevent or eliminate any of the RNG-based features of the game that Smogon rules are intended to alleviate. For example, you are free to use Mega-Kanga and Mega-Gengar. You are also free to use OHKO moves like Fissure and Sheer Cold. There are also no special clauses like Sleep clause (which in Smogon prevents more than 1 pokemon on a team from being put to sleep). There is an Item clause on Nintendo that prevents two pokemon from having the same item, but Smogon does not have that.

The pokemon actually banned by Nintendo are just dumb. Blaziken, for instance, is perfectly fine because it's a starter. But the super powerful legendary Celebi is banned. Huh?

To be honest, my biggest gripe with Nintendo is really that there is no place to fight 6v6. I absolutely hate 3v3 Singles since you can have a perfectly fine team to answer any threat, but then you just choose the wrong 3 to face your opponent. If you try playing Doubles or Triples to get around that though, you find that those metas are so easily abused without the Smogon rules that they are just not fun at all. (For example, the classic Whimsicott/Terrakion/Weavile lead in Triples to give Terrakion a +6 boost with Justified and Beat Up.)

It's better just to play with a friend or just not play through Nintendo to begin with.

aVocado

@ Everstone
If I understand his question, he means things Mega Kanga's moveset in Ubers, compared to in OU. For example, Mega Kanga often has Fake Out in Ubers, and he doesn't (and shouldn't) use Fake Out in OU.

Any Singles battle on Nintendo's wifi has the following rules:

(1) 3v3 previewed Singles (You enter 6 and see each other's 6, but you then choose 3 based on what you see... so you can end up just picking 3 that are countered by what your opponent picks)
(2) Banned pokemon:
Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde
(3) No items, abilities, or moves banned. No other pokemon banned other than those listed in (2).
(4) All pokemon are set to level 50 and no two pokemon can have the same item.

These rules tend to be really dumb because they do not prevent or eliminate any of the RNG-based features of the game that Smogon rules are intended to alleviate. For example, you are free to use Mega-Kanga and Mega-Gengar. You are also free to use OHKO moves like Fissure and Sheer Cold. There are also no special clauses like Sleep clause (which in Smogon prevents more than 1 pokemon on a team from being put to sleep). There is an Item clause on Nintendo that prevents two pokemon from having the same item, but Smogon does not have that.

The pokemon actually banned by Nintendo are just dumb. Blaziken, for instance, is perfectly fine because it's a starter. But the super powerful legendary Celebi is banned. Huh?

To be honest, my biggest gripe with Nintendo is really that there is no place to fight 6v6. I absolutely hate 3v3 Singles since you can have a perfectly fine team to answer any threat, but then you just choose the wrong 3 to face your opponent. If you try playing Doubles or Triples to get around that though, you find that those metas are so easily abused without the Smogon rules that they are just not fun at all. (For example, the classic Whimsicott/Terrakion/Weavile lead in Triples to give Terrakion a +6 boost with Justified and Beat Up.)

It's better just to play with a friend or just not play through Nintendo to begin with.
Yeah I can understand all of that. I just want to use it to practice. I don't know where else to find battles besides the gamefaqs battle board. I'm not too use to this website, so not sure where to post "looking for fights".

TBH, I tried it a few times with Mega Kangaskhan before she was banned, but I wasn't too successful.

Ha, thats a goooooooood question. I'll get back to you :P

Was thinking Mega Gengar for my mega, but I'll be back soon :P
I can't find it right now, but there is a section on Smogon to discuss the 3v3 wifi meta. Even with Nintendo's different set of rules, the fact that you have only 3 pokemon does change quite a lot. In particular, strong offense is preferred over most other options. Stall and entry hazards tend not to be used very much also.

If I understand his question, he means things Mega Kanga's moveset in Ubers, compared to in OU. For example, Mega Kanga often has Fake Out in Ubers, and he doesn't (and shouldn't) use Fake Out in OU.
I don't understand though. Mega-Kanga is not allowed in OU. But I guess I see what you mean with Gengar? A set like Perish Song, Disable, Taunt, Substitute is pretty useless in OU on normal Gengar. But it's not a bad set for Mega-Gengar, which is in ubers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)