Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liepard is one of the most atrocious offensive mons there is.

If you're using it it's for Prankster Swagger+Foul Play.

If you're set on trying to sweep with it, I'm not sure if Prankster or Unburden is better, but Prankster is nice to have anyways.

Either:

Liepard
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Timid
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Encore
-Dark Pulse
-Hidden Power Fighting/Shadow Ball/Grass Knot

Comments: Don't run this. Just don't. Last gen it was even worse because it didn't have Dark Pulse until BW2 and had to put up with Snarl.

or:

Liepard
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Jolly
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Hone Claws
-Encore
-Night Slash
-Play Rough

Comments: Don't even try running this. At least it actually gets coverage this gen as opposed to last but there is zero reason to run this still. If it got Swords Dance it might not end up being inferior to Ledian as a physical sweeper.

Summary: Don't run offensive Liepard. Don't. If you want to there's two sets up there but please don't. If you really want to lose most of your games, fine.

Just got an adamant Honedge 31/31/31/xx/31/31 is SpA important for him (should I re roll and try for that or all 6) or will that suffice with an steel head, SD, shadow sneak, kibgs shield?

Last edited:
Quick damage calc question:

After having Stone Miss work its magic time and time again, I'm going to rework my Tyranitar.

I'm going off this set:

Adamant Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
- Crunch
- Stone Edge / Pursuit
- Ice Beam / Ice Fang
- Fire Blast / Fire Fang

My questions:

Is it better to use the respective Fire/Ice Fang moves over Fire Blast / Ice Beam? I know the SpA moves have a higher BP, but Adamant is a hindering SpA nature and T-Tar is a more physical hitter anyways. Is it worth the higher base BP to go for SpA moves?

Would Stone Miss or Pursuit be most useful in a 3V3 setting? I'm leaning towards Stone Miss, but I've only ever had it hit reliably on Minimize Chanseys, ironically. I'd run a fighting type move but I don't play PS! as much as I do Battle Spot. If I'm not running Superpower, should I just get rid of Fire Blast / Fire Fang and keep both Pursuit and Stone Edge?
Well in response to the Fire/Ice Fang or Fire Blast/Ice Beam question, I'd say definitely go with Fire Blast and Ice Beam. Your main targets of the moves (Forretress, Scizor, Breloom, Gliscor, etc...) all have weaker special defenses. For example, Gliscor is only 2HKO'd by Ice Fang, while he is OHKO'd by Ice Beam.

You did mention using an Adamant nature, though, so that would definitely hurt Ttar's ability to effectively use special attacks. Its base 95 SpA is certainly workable, but a Defense lowering nature would be preferable if you're going mixed. The funny thing is, Fire Blast and Ice Beam are still out-damaging the fangs in most cases even with Adamant nature (I ran some calcs), although you do miss some OHKOs.

Just got an adamant Honedge 31/31/31/xx/31/31 is SpA important for him (should I re roll and try for that or all 6) or will that suffice with an steel head, SD, shadow sneak, kibgs shield?
You'd only care about it's Special Attack if you wanted to run Shadow Ball to break into a physical wall.

Does anyone have a more definite EV spread for a Geomancy Xerneas? I just caught a 31/10/30/31/30/31 Modest.
The one topic in the ubers' section doesn't seem too well kept with incoming information.

Well in response to the Fire/Ice Fang or Fire Blast/Ice Beam question, I'd say definitely go with Fire Blast and Ice Beam. Your main targets of the moves (Forretress, Scizor, Breloom, Gliscor, etc...) all have weaker special defenses. For example, Gliscor is only 2HKO'd by Ice Fang, while he is OHKO'd by Ice Beam.

You did mention using an Adamant nature, though, so that would definitely hurt Ttar's ability to effectively use special attacks. Its base 95 SpA is certainly workable, but a Defense lowering nature would be preferable if you're going mixed. The funny thing is, Fire Blast and Ice Beam are still out-damaging the fangs in most cases even with Adamant nature (I ran some calcs), although you do miss some OHKOs.
Thanks for the clarification. I can easily breed a different nature, so I'll keep that in mind. Now should I run Lonely or Mild? If I'm going mixed, I'm assuming I'll want to run Mild so as to boost the SpA of T-Tar as high as I can get it, because the STAB off Crunch mixed with T-Tar's already solid Def / Atk stats will make up for it.

Sorry for the basic questions - this is the first gen I've bred a whole competitive Singles team on my own.

Last edited:
Has it been determined wether or not Zygarde is shiny locked? I've been SR'ing (around 1750 times) and just now heard it could be. Google just says there is a possibility. Do we know 100% one way or another?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Has it been determined wether or not Zygarde is shiny locked? I've been SR'ing (around 1750 times) and just now heard it could be. Google just says there is a possibility. Do we know 100% one way or another?
There is no way to know for sure unless you look it up in the game files which is currently not possible, because the 3ds has yet to get "cracked", however if google suggest that it is very likely that it is impossible to get shiny zygardes for now.

Thanks for the clarification. I can easily breed a different nature, so I'll keep that in mind. Now should I run Lonely or Mild? If I'm going mixed, I'm assuming I'll want to run Mild so as to boost the SpA of T-Tar as high as I can get it, because the STAB off Crunch mixed with T-Tar's already solid Def / Atk stats will make up for it.

Sorry for the basic questions - this is the first gen I've bred a whole competitive Singles team on my own.
I'd go with Mild, for the reasons you mentioned. Hasty (+Speed, -Def) is also a reasonable option so you can get the jump on neutral natured base 70's like Breloom.

EDIT: Never mind Hasty, that would only work with full speed investment. Go with Mild.

Last edited:
In what situations does Magma Storm have higher expected damage than Fire Blast? Anything that resists or has large special bulk right? The accuracy difference is throwing me off however.

In what situations does Magma Storm have higher expected damage than Fire Blast? Anything that resists or has large special bulk right? The accuracy difference is throwing me off however.
Damage isn't everything. Their damage are the same, Magma Storm's accuracy might be shaky at times but everytime your opponent switches into a counter or a check you will get value out of this simply by knowing that your opponent will definitely not switch out. It just got better with the increased trapping damage but we think it is still a bit too early to tell it the current metagame warrants it usefulness. Politoed fell out of the Top 50 and Tyranitars resort to Earthquake because they currently do not have Superpower and because of Aegislash.

What I mean is, for Fire Blast 110*0.85=93.6, and Magmastorm is 120*0.75=90. Flamethrower is 90*1.00=90. So fireblast has the highest expected damage across a broad spectrum, except when you factor Magmastorm does residual damage.

Certainly depends on the set you are using. For offensive Heatran is usually means everything works the same. One little difference, though: Magma Storm 2HKOs 0/0 Talonflame but that should be the least of your worries as it can't do shit to Heatran. It can counteract Gliscor's Poison Heal, but you generally want to HP Ice, even with only 60 base power. Magma Storm is a straight OHKO to Aegislash without prior damage while Fire Blast has a 'mere' higher than 80% chance to do that (always OHKO with SR).
A real difference is only noticable when the target resists it and is not 2HKOed by it, which are usually situations where Heatran should get out as fast as possible if it is not willing to take damage. The check/counter you will switch in will probably have a bit more appreciation for the damage done but that is case-to-case dependant.

It depends on the HP of the target. But any target who has more than 4 x 16 or more than 64 HP will take more than the 4 a turn needed to push it over in that calc.

Last edited:
While I'm bored and waiting for eggs to hatch... Out of curiosity, how awful is Silver Wind on a Choice Band Scizor? Not that I'd ever use it, but between Technician, STAB, and Choice Band boosts, it end's up as a 200 BP attack.

Silver Wind is a Special move, so it comes off Scizor's terrible SpAtk stat and doesnt get the Choice Band boost. Really you should never consider such a move on scizor as Bug Bite exists and is physical with the same BP as Silver Wind, and is actually a viable move.

Silver Wind is a Special move, so it comes off Scizor's terrible SpAtk stat and doesnt get the Choice Band boost. Really you should never consider such a move on scizor as Bug Bite exists and is physical with the same BP as Silver Wind, and is actually a viable move.
Yeah I had a brain-dead moment with the Choice-band & SpA part. So yeah it's bad. Bug Bite doesn't sound too bad though.

Quick Question:

In double battles, is there any effect to using Aerilate (Pinsir) on other teammates? Do normal moves become flying only for him?

How about if my other Teammate is a Gale Wings Talonflame, do Pinsir's Flying moves get priority? OR does this only apply to the individual with the abilties

tl;dr

Do Aerilate or Gale Wings affect other pokemon Directly?

Quick Question:

In double battles, is there any effect to using Aerilate (Pinsir) on other teammates? Do normal moves become flying only for him?

How about if my other Teammate is a Gale Wings Talonflame, do Pinsir's Flying moves get priority? OR does this only apply to the individual with the abilties

tl;dr

Do Aerilate or Gale Wings affect other pokemon Directly?
No..These abilities work only for the user/owner of the ability :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)