ORAS Ubers Teambuilding Compendium

The problem with splitting revenge killers off the checks section is that revenge killers are checks (Scizor to Xern for example). The list is meant to be inclusive so that there are a variety of options available during teambuilding; if we eliminate all but the best checks (the ones that can comfortably switch in, don't get beaten down, and threaten in return) then all the lists will be pathetically small and the purpose of this thread gone. Obviously a passive team should never solely rely on a check that cannot actually afford to switch in, which is why in general the stuff that checks via revenge killing is lower on the lists.
I mean mons whos sole purpose towards handling a mon is to switch in and force it out, scizor doesn't always have to come in after something died. Not to mention it checks other the sets anyway. I'm looking at mons like shaymin sky.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Ho-Oh checks section is back but reduced to stuff that can afford to switch in (usually). Mence was added to anti-hazard support, Shaymin-S and Rayquaza were removed from the Kyogre checks section since Ice Beam spam got a lot more common and they cannot switch into this.

guess you should remove arceus normal in the list of salamence's checks. i mean, extreme speed is cool and stuff to revenge-kill things but salamence's insane physical bulkyness makes things a bit hard even for extreme killer ceus. wallceus w/ ice beam can work a bit better against it but i don't think wallceus is really good tbh and it's much less common than extreme killer arceus anyways (that somewhat means that it isn't very good either).

also i think we put as the first mon of a list, the pokèmon that does the job the list describes in the best way, right? if so imo you should put pdon as the #1 sr setter, it's def better than dialga at doing it (and it's a better mon overall too lol) and it's probably the best sr user in oras uber anyways.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That's actually meant to be Arceus-Fairy not Arceus-Normal. For some reason I can't seem to find the Arceus-Fairy box sprite anywhere.

JamesTheRedEngine

Banned deucer.
Try Primal Groudon with Mega Camerupt. Camerupt can use growth under sun, and with the 2x to its special attack, Heat Wave under sun hits hard, Really hard. Rock slide can be used as well, and the extinction of water attacks under strong sun is nice to have. Primal Groudon will have to run Precipice Blades, but hone claws will take care of any accuracy problems, even though 85% is pretty good. Earth Power for Mega Camerupt hits hard as well

Try Primal Groudon with Mega Camerupt. Camerupt can use growth under sun, and with the 2x to its special attack, Heat Wave under sun hits hard, Really hard. Rock slide can be used as well, and the extinction of water attacks under strong sun is nice to have. Primal Groudon will have to run Precipice Blades, but hone claws will take care of any accuracy problems, even though 85% is pretty good. Earth Power for Mega Camerupt hits hard as well
Did you mean regular Groudon? Proudon's sun vanishes as soon as he switches out. Unless you're talking about doubles...

Minority

Numquam Vincar
I revamped this a bit because several people asked me to and because although the thread didn't have much discussion people have told me this is a helpful resource.

Revamping included removing Pokemon that were rejected for analyses (with a few exceptions), adding a few Pokemon to sections, and shuffling some stuff around based on current viability standings.

(Updated as of September 13th)

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Im kind of wondering how Mega Slowbro isnt listed under Mega Mence checks. With its ID + Toxic set, it shuts down DD refresh mence as it IDs, toxics, and ice beam for free as mence struggles to roost, refresh, and set up alongside it. :(

Similarly, it should be listed under Ho-oh checks as well

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Did a little more updating on this. Suggest things to be removed / added / shuffled. Thoughts on adding a section for Darkrai?

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I mean you can always expand this for other major threats in the metagame. Darkrai is an interesting one as there are Pokemon that totally stop Darkrai by absorbing sleep and having Sleep Talk; however, many teams simply sack something to sleep and revenge kill Darkrai with something else. So I'd make sure to be consistent with what is considered a Darkrai check. I guess off the top of my head some of the better ones are Klefki, Tyranitar, Mega Diancie, Xerneas, Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre, Blissey kinda, otherwise there's some of those revenge killers like Mewtwo and Choice Scarf users, though Mega Mewtwo Y can actually switch into Dark Void.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I don't consider Ho-oh a particularly good example of a Darkrai check seeing as the typical builds you find Darkrai on often have little issue at least getting up rocks and then keeping them via virtue of offensive pressure. I guess in a perfect situation where you somehow either prevented the rocks or managed to Defog I guess it does but idk how realistic that is.

Reactions: zf
I mean you can always expand this for other major threats in the metagame. Darkrai is an interesting one as there are Pokemon that totally stop Darkrai by absorbing sleep and having Sleep Talk; however, many teams simply sack something to sleep and revenge kill Darkrai with something else. So I'd make sure to be consistent with what is considered a Darkrai check. I guess off the top of my head some of the better ones are Klefki, Tyranitar, Mega Diancie, Xerneas, Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre, Blissey kinda, otherwise there's some of those revenge killers like Mewtwo and Choice Scarf users, though Mega Mewtwo Y can actually switch into Dark Void.
I'd like to, um, add to this by saying that Thunder Drakrai is a really underrated set. As haxiom said, there aren't that many Darkrai counters when it hasn't used Dark Void yet, and also few after the fact. Your best bet is generally revenging it, or switching in a Ho-Oh or Defensive Kyogre. And then die to Thunder. It does significant damage to Klefki too which is nice for a the lati twins/xerneas/etc, and the same goes for ttar. Its reliable switch-ins are even more limited depending on the set is running, sludge bomb+dark pulse certainly isn't the only one. There's also weird sash twave, and taunt sets but I'd say those are more niche than the main set, and the Thunder set.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Adding a Darkrai check section would sorta fall under the same implications of the Ho-Oh check section. In both cases there aren't really clear-cut examples of Pokemon that can always switch into these things well, its more so dependent on the opponent's set and the conditions at the moment.

Hello. I'm still lurking around the website and I happened to stumble upon this thread and for most part I really like what you guys got here so I thought it would be helpful if I gave you some suggestions.

1. As much as I love Yveltal I think you should remove it from the Primal Groudon check list. Reason being while it can revenge kill Primal Groudon with Dark Pulse and Foul Play respectively it cannot switch in on any of its moves bar P Blades since Lava Plume destroys it (especially if it relies on Foul Play to hurt it) while if it comes in on SR PDon can just Roar/Dtail it away without a care in the world.

2. Ho-oh should take Yveltal's place on the list. Reason being unlike YGod it can switch into ANY of PDon's moves bar Rock attacks, doesn't give a dam about Twave (unless you run fast CB) and still 2HKO's with CB BB/EQ.

3. Brongzong should be removed from the Mega Salamence check list. Reason being its forced to run Skill Swap in order not to get wrecked by the bulky Refresh variants since HP Ice fails to 2HKO it and it still takes a metric fuck ton from a boosted Double Edge.

4. PDon and Klefki should swap places on the Xerneas check list. Reason being PDon is at most a soft check to Xerneas is it at high HP otherwise it will have no problem just getting through it with Focus Blast while on the other hand as long as its actually on the field Klefki will ALWAYS wins against Xerneas (shitty gimmicks aside)

5. Arceus-Water should be removed from the Primal Kyogre check list. Reason being all three common POgre sets (CM + 3 Atts, Phys Def Rest Talk, CM + Rest) beat it. not much else to say.

There are probably some others I might pick on later but for now I think this looks pretty good :)

Minority

Numquam Vincar
1. I'd say a Ground immunity that isn't absolutely slaughtered by common P Don coverage that can also deal significant damage back makes Yveltal a Primal Groudon check. Is it that great of one? I'd say no, which reflects its low placement.

2. P Don checks Ho-Oh, not the other way around. Fast Ho-Oh can revenge P Don and mess with sets that forgo Rock-type coverage but that's about it.

3. Bronzong is a Mega Salamence check, no question. Skill Swap, Trick Room, and other tools allow Bronzong to do this.

4. This is a nitpick and one that isn't even clearly justified. P Don is an effective Xern check that fits on virtually every team, no reason for it not to be listed first. Also Klefki is far from an infallible Xern check, it loses to several techs.

5. You don't seem to understand how teams, especially BOs and Balances, check Primal Kyogre in this meta. Essentially Water resists are used in order to pivot back into superior positions, usually involving getting rid of heavy rain (getting P Don back in play). Arceus-Water is a Water + Ice resist that easily fits on a variety of builds that also find room for mons that trump Primal Kyogre.

CURSE MY OUTDATED METAGAME EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! but in all seriousness thanks for the response yeah... looking back at that post I'll admit that was just...

Thanks anyway keep up the good work :)

Minority

Numquam Vincar
CM and resttalk Geo can defeat Klefki. Defensive resttalk stalemates (PP war incoming). Aroma and Sub techs on standard Geo can also get around Klefki's ability to check Xern as intended.

I'll probably lower Yveltal on the list of P Don checks since it really doesn't like strong special attacks or T Wave + Rock Slide.

Just out of general curiosity why isn't Palkai on the Primal Kyogre check list?

I mean although Kyogre has increased Special Defence It can still 2HKO it with CS Thunder and can phase out CM Kyogre with Dtail.

Just out of general curiosity why isn't Palkai on the Primal Kyogre check list?

I mean although Kyogre has increased Special Defence It can still 2HKO it with CS Thunder and can phase out CM Kyogre with Dtail.
Ha! Ha! no seriously why is he not on the list? I get its not that great anymore but on its own Palkai is still an incredible mon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)