OU 1v1 RMT Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Topic title means nothing. Don't look into it.

BEEF (Machamp) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP/160 Atk/96 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dynamicpunch
- Encore
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
---

This set has pleased me very much on Shoddy. Most leads are pretty predictable, so I use Encore to lock the suicides like Aero, Azelf, etc. into a Stealth Rock and Sub on the switch, allowing me to go nuts with my choice of Dynamicpunch or Stone Edge. SE over Payback because SE has shown to be effective enough to deal with common ghosts like Gengar. If this Machamp lasts long enough it's also very effective against Curselax, I've found out. The best is when lead Tyranitar or Weavile expect me to use a non-attacking move and either don't switch or use Taunt, and I predict it with a Dynamicpunch. I get a lot of ragequits that way.

Duggy Wuggy (Dugtrio) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace
---

Standard revenge set. Arena Trap is fantastic. I've been baffled by how many times people didn't expect Sucker Punch; is it uncommon now or something? Same for Aerial Ace.

MagicalFaggot (Clefable) (M) @ Sticky Barb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Protect
- Trick
- Seismic Toss
---

Combined with Toxic Spikes from Tentacruel, this set is magic. Trick the Sticky Barb onto a wall affected by TS and just stall it out. Clefable is a champ.

Jellyfuck (Tentacruel) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
---

Lays down the Toxic Spikes primarily, RS when it can, and once in a blue moon it'll get to attack. HP Elec rarely sees use, but idk what to replace it with. It's useful against Starmie I guess but in most cases I get TB'd to death anyway.

Lightning Shit (Rotom-c) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Leaf Storm
---

This is a great Scizor counter. They always Pursuit expecting me to switch but I end up W-o-W'ing them and TBing til they're out. Also makes a great Swampert counter with Wisp and Leaf Storm. Oh, and a spinblocker. Donphan fears Wisp and Leaf Storm and Starmie fears TB and SB.

Rape Monster (Metagross) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk/132 Spd/124 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot
---

Metagross doesn't get used too much because the Toxic Spikes along with the rest of the team usually manages to take out most people, but Gross is when the big guns are needed. Problem is that he tends not to last very long. Meteor Mash and EQ hit pretty hard, and HP Fire and Grass Knot are oh so sweet on unsuspecting steels like Forretress and Swampert, and I guess the uncommon Rhyperior and the like.

I've noticed that my overall biggest problems are dealing with the big dragons: Garchomp, Flygon, Salamence, etc. I lack ice attacks completely but I don't know how to get them in. I also have no way to absorb status, heal, or perform clerical duties. And once Machamp is out, there's no stopping stat buffers. When this team works, it REALLY works, but other times it just absolutely falls apart. Throw your suggestions my way, chieftains.

Three things, switch Rotom to H mode and use the same set, except with overheat, and switch metagross to this

Metagross @ Life Orb
Adamant
112 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 12 Def/ 132 spe
Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Explosion

Agility on someone you can hit for neutral damage and not take SE damage, than sweep, its better for metagross and based on your original set explanation it comes out last to sweep.

Also, find a place to put stealth rocks on. It is SUCH a good move, because it does so much total damage.

I'll try those out. Hopefully I won't miss the heavy hits on Swampert and the surprise HP Fire hits on Forretress and Scizor with Metagross. Speed has been an issue with Metagross so I'm optimistic.

I think I'm going to abstain from Stealth Rock for the moment, though. Everyone and their grandma uses it now and I'd rather not try to force it in.

All the common Dragon Dancers do a number to this team: Gyarados, Salamence, Tyranitar. Gyarados and Salamence are probably the biggest issues. DD LO Gyarados with Waterfall/Ice Fang/Equake ruins this team. I would probably say Clefable is mostly a gimmick and not a highly competitive pokemon that will give your team an advantage each game. I would recommend a solid Gyarados counter/check in that spot instead.

The other one that should go is Tentacruel. He could be replaced for a Gyarados counter as well. He just doesn't fit on this team. Toxic Spikes are for slower played teams that will let the damage accumulate.. Your team is offensive in nature with Metagross/Rotom/Dugtrio anyway. Id rather see a stealth rocker to help yourself out instead.

I don't want to gut the whole team, but it has some big problems. I know I wasn't specific, but it really isn't a seriously top tier competitive team. I don't know if you don't want it to be, but if you do this just won't work. If you want to play on a midlevel scale I would just fix the DD Gyarados weakness and move on. If you're serious you need to reevaulate the effectiveness of Dugtrio against highly comeptitive pokemon teams.

Dugtrio has actually been very effective at revenge killing except against Scarf Heatran, although I've had a few lucky Fire Blast misses.

I actually wanted to go more for a Toxic Spikes-abusing team, and the heavy hitters like Metagross I kinda just threw in there to cover some weaknesses. Do you have any general suggestions for a team that could make good use of TS Tentacruel? I'm probably going to make a new team offensive stall-oriented and just tweak this one and use it for fun. Clefable is enjoyable to use :)

EDIT: Looking at Tentacruel/Rotom-C/Hippowdon/Skarmory/Celebi/??? and considering the last slot for a Wish user. I'm sick of Blissey so I don't want to use one. The options I'm considering that I like are:

Clefable
Gardevoir
Jirachi
Umbreon
Togekiss

Clefable and Jirachi don't mind Hippowdon's sandstorm which is good, while Gardevoir can TWave what Toxic Spikes can't hit and has good Sp Def. I just think Umbreon is cool, and I've always liked Togekiss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)