ORAS OU OU Team - Mega Houndoom

Introductions:

Hello all! And welcome to my first team builder on the Smogon forums! Eager to try out unusual and fun Pokemon in the ORAS OU Tier I have been to many new and interesting Mega mon's. I have been rapidly producing many weird and wonderful teams, including the squad below around Mega-Houndoom, Which can only be described as supa hot fire! (pun not intended). The team is offensive, with few swich ins to many mons in the tier, but ts raw power has been able to carry it through thus far. So, here we go, my most enjoyable team to use thus far.
The Team:

In Depth Look:

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond

The given EVs allow Mega Houndoom to survive 3 Seismic Tosses from Chansey and Choice Band Talonflame's Brave Bird. Flash Fire allows Mega Houndoom to switch-into Fire-type moves such as Volcarona's Fire Blast and Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast, as well as Heatran's Lava Plume.​

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

Maximum Speed EVs, when paired with a Choice Scarf and a Jolly nature, allow Jirachi to outrun every unboosted Pokemon in the metagame, Speed tie with other base 100s at +1, and outrun slower Choice Scarf users such as Kyurem-B and Landorus-T. The Attack investment maximizes Jirachi's offensive potential. The steel and ice combo, with u-turn gives nice coverage and pivot potential. It can nuke the threats that houndoom faces to assist with its sweeping potential (and vica-verca)

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

The given EV spread allows Azumarill to outspeed uninvested base 70 Speed Pokemon and below, which includes Skarmory, Tyranitar, and Clefable. Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are used to give Azumarill as much power as possible. Standard belly drum azu set and a great potential win condition of the team.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Memento / Recover

A defog Latios with a twist. The bolt-Beam coverage is awesome and gives it the potential to nuke tank chomp, landorus-t and gliscor without the repercussions of draco. The use of memento is great to get a near free set up with either azu or houndoom and is just a fun set on the whole.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Tank Chomp - Most common mon in the current meta game? Probably. This is because it is great at what it does. Rocky Helmet in tandem with Rough Skin punishes physical attackers for 30% of their HP every time they use a contact move. The given EV spread increases Garchomp's physical bulk and gives it enough Speed to outspeed Jolly Bisharp, which is critical against Swords Dance variants, as a +2 Sucker Punch will never OHKO Garchomp, which KOes it back with Earthquake. It is a power house and a great addition to any team.

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The HP EVs increase Tangrowth's overall bulk and maximize Regenerator recovery, while the Special Defense EVs allow Tangrowth to survive Life Orb Starmie's Ice Beam. The rest of the EVs are poured into Defense to maximize physical bulk so that Tangrowth can better check Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Gyarados, among other Pokemon. A Relaxed nature boosts Defense and allows Tangrowth to use both physical and special moves without either being weakened, and Tangrowth doesn't need its subpar Speed for much anyway.

On the whole the team has an obvious ice weakness, bu there are some methods round the main ice types in question, and because they are frail jirachi can ruin most of them in one move!

Improvements are requested (although it is hard to completely rework this shit team) :]

Would advice use at least once, it is a fun team to use
Importable:

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

Azumarill (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Garchomp (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hi.

Personally, I'm not a fan of non-Draco Meteor Latios. Draco Meteor provides you a powerful STAB capable of nuking a large portion of the metagame that doesn't resist it. Therefore, I'm proposing Draco Meteor > Ice Beam. Draco Meteor deals a ton of damage to Landorus-T, as well as 71.8% to 84.6% to 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor anyway. I'd also recommend Recover > Memento on Latios, as Recover allows you to check its targets, such as Keldeo and Electric-types, more consistently since Latios' bulk isn't that great.
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Landorus-T: 321-380 (84 - 99.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 253-298 (71.8 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

Yes, Ice Punch on Jirachi is used to hit Gliscor, Garchomp, and Landorus-T; but you've already got Azumarill, Latios, and Tangrowth to deal with them. Also, Mega Houndoom can break past Landorus-T and Gliscor after SR at +2. 240 HP / 0 SpD Tank Garchomp is also at range of being KOed with a +2 Dark Pulse at 73.6% HP. Instead, run Heart Stamp > Ice Punch on Jirachi. With Heart Stamp, Jirachi is capable of flinch haxing (or revenge killing) Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, and Electric-types.

Running Rocky Helmet > Leftovers on Tangrowth allows you to punish contact attackers such as Fighting-types and Excadrill, all who could switch out without repercussions otherwise. Additionally, Hidden Power Fire is redundant on this team since you have Mega Houndoom and Garchomp to deal with Ferrothorn and Scizor. Therefore, I'm recommending Leech Seed > Hidden Power Fire to annoy switch-ins as well as wearing down opponents faster with the combination of Leech Seed + Rocky Helmet.

I just don't like the idea of Destiny Bond on Mega Houndoom, since its checks and counters are usually revenge killers with either a scarf, naturally fast speed, or strong priority. I'd just run Will-O-Wisp > Destiny Bond for its utility to cripple its usual checks and counters.

Lastly, set Latios' HP IVs to 29, as this hits 299 HP, thus minimizing Life Orb recoil.
Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Heart Stamp
- Healing Wish

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Tangrowth (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

Good luck.

Hey man, this is a cool team and it's fun to see Mega Houndoom in OU. I noticed that you have a bit of trouble against Electrics like Mega Manectric and Thundurus, both of which are quite difficult for you to switch in on and are really only checked by Garchomp at high health and Latios to some extent. Rotom-W is also quite difficult for you to deal with as Tangrowth is easily burned and then Volted on, and then it destroys your team with Volt Switch damage and spreading burns. You also have some difficulty against Talonflame, which can easily Will-O-Wisp your Garchomp and then face little consequence spreading burns and damage to the rest of your team.

I agree with most of the set changes that Repeater1947 posted above (Wisp Houndoom, Draco Latios, and Heart Stamp Jirachi), but I have some ideas for replacing 'mons that would make your team much more viable against current OU threats.

[URL='http://pldh.net/dex/sprites/garchomp#']->
[/URL]The first change that I'd make would probably be using Yache Rocks Landorus-T with Swords Dance over Garchomp. Yache Landorus checks physical attackers like Lopunny while luring in Manectric and Thundurus, tanking an HP Ice and retaliating with Earthquake or Stone Edge. Using Repeater's suggestion of Will-O-Wisp Houndoom, you're already able to handle Bisharp decently well. Landorus offers the added utility of checking Sand Rush and Mold Breaker Excadrill more effectively than Tank Garchomp, and with Swords Dance it can force out Clefable without risking being Thunder Waved like Jirachi. As an aside, Yache offensive Landorus trades decently with Mega Medicham as it tanks an Ice Punch and inflicts crippling damage with Earthquake. However, with this change, you're a tad more vulnerable to Rotom-W than before. So to compensate while luring out Tornadus-T for the team,

->[URL='http://pldh.net/dex/sprites/serperior#'][/URL]I recommend using Glare Serperior over Tangrowth, which takes advantage of Rotom-W to boost or Substitute and can paralyze Tornadus-T with Glare, effectively crippling it for the rest of the match. Serperior can also force out Manaphy, Keldeo, and checks BD Azumarill even after a boost unlike Tangrowth. You can still effectively check Mega Lopunny, Sand Excadrill, and other Waters with the combination of Landorus-T, Jirachi, and Serperior.

Finally, I have a few more small set changes. Azumarill would appreciate being Jolly Nature so that it can outspeed most Rotom-W and OHKO them after the Belly Drum boost. I'd also recommend using Draco / Surf / Recover / Defog Latios, which lures out Band Tyranitar and weakens Heatran for Houndoom to potentially sweep lategame.

That's all that I could think of! Best of luck n_n

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Azumarill (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 172 HP / 168 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Recover
- Defog

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Glare

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Heart Stamp
- Healing Wish

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Alright,I know this is late, but I just found this team I used it on the ladder. It reached 1618 and got in at least the semifinals of every tournament. You got something here. However, there are weaknesses in the team that can be easily checked. First, I'd recommend making.Garchomp Choice Scarfed and Jirachi and.specially defensive rocks. This allows you to bluff the rocks on chomp and nab KOs against electric and.ice types. It also allows you to beat D-Dancers, Volcarona, Mega Pidgeot, Mega Gardevior, and Tornadus-T, among others. Trust me, this has won me.battles with this team. Anyway, thanks for the team. It really is the most enjoyable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)