OU-Wifi team: Rise, Red Dragon!

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well this is my first ever RMT so bare with me. I've been playing with this team for quite a while now and had some success on wifi, beating several good battlers and a few Serebii admins aswell! I built this team based around a 'mon who I think (and I'm sure many would agree) is ridiculously powerful on wifi due to the lack of the rotom formes. I'm talking of course about... Gyarados! So without further ado here is my team: Rise, Red Dragon!

At a glance:

Lead:

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Jolly
Hypercutter
232 Hp 184 Atk 94 Speed
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Roost
Stealth Rock
Gliscor is a great lead to say the least. I nearly always get stealth rock up and the only leads against which I don’t are Aerodactyl and some other poke’s with taunt like Infernape, and opposing max speed Gliscor’s, the first two I KO with stone edge and earthquake respectively, whereas with Gliscor I switch to Starmie as they taunt and ice beam for the KO. I also often try to keep Gliscor healthy for the late game, as he has great synergy with my late-game sweepers; Metagross and Gyarados. The ev’s are so that I always 2HKO lead Metagross, even if they have leftovers (which they never do) and that I can also outspeed some Lucario. I chose hypercutter as his ability because Sand Streamers aren’t really used that much on Wifi because of the risk of ‘acid rain’ and I like using Gliscor offensively.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid
Natural Cure
106 Hp 156 SpAtk 216 Speed
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Surf
Rapid Spin
This pokemon is just a great partner with Gliscor, she is effectivelly my sort-of anti-lead. This is because I always send her out against leads Gliscor can’t deal with such as taunt Gliscor, Azelf and sometimes even Aerodactyl and Infernape to kill them with rapid spin (and get rid of the rocks) after Gliscor has left them at 1HP. If all else fails with Metagross and Gyarados, I will use her and Jolteon to finish up the game as they have great synergy. You may note the lack of recover, this is because I have Blissey to pass wishes about and it’s nice to have the extra coverage with ice beam. I am considering changing surf to hydro pump just so that I can kill scizor and tyranitar who try to pursuit me to deat (Scizor is OHKO’ed after Stealth Rock and any Tyranitar is 2HKO’ed even without stealth rock). Starmie also helps me get rid of Gyarados’ biggest counters, such as Vaporeon, Suicine, Skarmory and Forretress.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Timid
Volt Absorb
252 Speed 252 Sp.Atk 4 Def
Charge Beam
Thunderbolt
Signal Beam
Hidden Power [Grass]
As I mentioned earlier this pokemon is a great partner with Starmie. Scenario: Switch into any electric attack from choiced sweepers or pokes who can’t touch Jolteon, recovering any passive damage sustained throughout the battle, charge beam as they switch (probably getting a boost) and sweep. Even without a boost Jolteon can still put a lot of hurt into it’s opponents. I chose HP grass over ice because Salamence and Dragonite already take a hefty amount of damage from thunderbolt and can often be KO’ed after stealth rock and a charge beam boost. The ev;s are pretty self-explanatory.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Calm
Natural Cure
24 Hp 252 Def 232 Sp.Def
Wish
Protect
Seismic Toss
Toxic
Ok before anyone shouts at me for using Blissey, what is wrong with that! Game Freak gives us an amazing (albeit broken) pokemon and people actually complain??? Ok so enough ranting.This is your standard WishBliss, and her wishes really add longevity to my team meaning it is that much harder to take town. Seismic toss is there for the consistent 100 damage, pretty simple. Toxic is great as along with stealth rock it means that Gyarados and Metagross have a much easier time when it comes to turning 2HKO’s into OHKO’s. Did I mention the ev’s mean even a Choice Specs Timid Lucario’s aura sphere and Choice Specs Timid Gengar’s focus blast will never 2HKO? This pokemon really helps set the stage for my two main sweepers. [couldn't find a pic of her as a person ]

Metagross @ Life Orb
Adamant
Clear Body
112 Hp 252 Atk 12 Def 132 Speed
Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Thunder Punch
Agiligross is an incredible late game sweeper. After just one agility it can outspeed everything without a choice scarf and even some pokes with one. Meteor mash is a great attacking option, making Metagross even more of a threat if it gets an attack boost. The lack of explosion can be annoying against Blissey but Gyarados can often just set up on her. Thunder punch on the other hand is great at taking out Skarmory who otherwise walls this set to no end (as you can see skarmbliss is too much of a problem). Metagross has excellent synergy with Gyarados covering his rock weakness while Gyaradis takes fire and ground type attacks with ease. The ev’s are so that I can outspeed choice scarf timid max speed Heatran after an agility.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Jolly
Intimidate
252 Atk 252 Speed 4 Def
Dragon Dance
Bounce
Stone Edge
Waterfall
And here we have our star player. This pokemon is almost unstoppable on wifi because it’s No.1 counter is non-existent! After a couple of dragon dances not much can withstand it’s attacks and the pokemons that can are countered by its team mates. (Skarmory, Forretress, Suicine, Vaporeon by Starmie and Empoleon, Tyranitar, Zapdos and Magnezone by Metagross or Gliscor) I chose bounce over earthquake as it is already on a two of my offensive pokemon (Gliscor and Metagross) and means I can easily OHKO Celebii after a dragon dance. Stone edge is there so that dragons and any flying types that got past Gliscor are easily dealt with.

Well that’s my team. I hope you’ve enjoyed the format and ideas behind this team. Im a long time lurker but very new to posting so please constructive criticism only. Thank you!
Changes will be in blue

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
no rates on this team, to me this team seems good, but i would make the pictures smaller to make it easier to read.
1. Gliscor- i see no real need 4 stone Edge, so drop it 4 either taunt or u-turn. U turn makes Gliscor a good scout, while taunt stops pert and things from setting up rocks and stuff. Also sand veil>hyper cutter as its better (ss) as u dont have SD
2. starmie-fine.
3. Jolteon-the first thing i noticed on ur team was an overkill of Life orbs, plus i find that that jolteon is very prone to revenge killing. To solve this i would have the following moveset- offensive sub sweeper
Jolteon@leftovers
Timid Volt Absorb
252speed, 252sp.a
-Substitute
-Charge Beam
-Thunderbolt/HP Grass
-HP Grass/Baton Bass
Sub protects from status and revenge killing, while u still have charge beam to boost ur attacks, i wasnt seeing much of a use 4 signal beam, so that has gone. u can use baton pass if u wish to pass anything a sub or a special attack boost. )if u do this go 4 hp grass>tbolt for coverage) if not have both.
4. Blissey- fine
5. Metagross- fine
6. Gyara- i think u have 2 many set up pokemon, and that dd gyara and aligross are redundant toghether.
To solve this i would change ur current gyar set to bulky gyara with bounce or resttalk gyara to absorb status 4 ur team
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gyarados
both sets can be found here.

Hope I helped,

Bartman101

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)