ORAS Doubles OU Overloading The Microphones Ft: Mega Gardevoir (Currently 1,571 ELO and 85 GXE)

So as you can see by the title of the thread, this team will feature mega gardevoir. Which for the most part is an interesting mega pokemon in the current DOU Meta since it has some good matchups and some really bad matchups. But covering these holes is what the rest of the team is for. So without further ado lets get to it.

So to start off I'm going to talk about the teams mega pokemon and the teams foundation, Mega Gardevoir.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Protect

This pokemon is quickly becoming my favourite one to use in any format I play. But lets get to the reasons I chose it.

The main reason I chose to build around mega gardevoir was the spread damage it can provide and some of the positive matchups it has against the current DOU meta for example kyurem-black, amoonguss, mega venusaur are a few examples and because of its skyhigh 130 base special defense it can take on pokemon like sylveon and ghosts not called aegislash.

The moveset at first glance looks really standard for the most part you would be correct, hyper voice is there for the insane spread damage It provides, psychic is to hit the poison type pokemon that resist hyper voice like amoonguss and venusaur. Energy Ball is the kink of the moveset since It allows gardevoir to OHKO pokemon like gastrodon and mega swampert, it also helps with SE damage against mega diancie and other rock/ground types while bypassing wide guard.

Now for the EV spread at first glance most people would say wtf is this. Well kind reader let me enlighten you this spread was created to help gardevoir survive physical hits without the need for intimidate which can sometimes be crucial since switching in a pokemon like landorus-t can be risky for example if a milotic or bisharp is on the field. The ev spread lets gardevoir any mega kangaskhan return and a jolly double edge. the speed investment is there to outspeed bisharp and some of its speed creepers. the special attack was a dump along with the special defense.

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 180 HP / 252+ Def Gardevoir: 252-297 (78.2 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 180 HP / 252+ Def Gardevoir: 270-319 (83.8 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now for the second pokemon, Virizion

Virizion @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Virizion's main job was to be the teams main check to bulky water types like suicune and milotic, and to also be the teams main check to mega kangaskhan. And its naturally high special defense stat of 129 and its grass typing allows virizion to decently check rain teams.

The moveset is pretty standard for the most part lead blade is there as the grass type STAB attack used to hit those pesky bulky water types. Close Combat is there as fighting type STAB and with the expert belt can OHKO the standard mega kangaskhan sets. Stone edge is there as a check move to mega charizard y since it can be quite a problem to the team due to the massive boosted spread damage it can deal to the team as a whole.

Unlike gardevoir's virizions ev spread is nice and simple. Hit Hard and Hit Fast.

252 Atk Expert Belt Virizion Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 367-434 (104.2 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Expert Belt Virizion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 504-595 (169.6 - 200.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now for my third pokemon, Aegislash

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 188 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Spe
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Aegislash's job on this team was to be the glue for the most part and to be the teams main check to trick room and opposing aegislash. The life orb and max special attack let this here sword and shield do its job nicely. Also this pokemon is my main mega diancie check since it can take anyone attack from it and OHKO back with flash cannon.

Now for the moveset, King's Shield is mandatory since it lets aegislash take advantage of its ability stance change and when used at the right time can give a nice -2 to physical attackers. Shadow Ball was the primary Ghost STAB move of choice to hit opposing aegislash and other ghost types. Flash Cannon was chosen to hit those pesky fairy types most notably Mega Diancie and sylveon for SE damage and depending on the sylveons spread can OHKO it. The 4th move on this set is hidden power ice this was chosen as a lando-t killer for the most part since life orb boosted it can OHKO any non AV Lando with ease and depending on there bulk can one shot some AV ones aswell.

The EV spread might look a little weird but let me explain its inner workings, the 60 speed ev's were to mainly speed creep other base 60 pokemon for example opposing aegislash and sylveon. the 188 hp ev's were what were left over after max sp attack investment was put in along with 4 in each defense for that little extra bulk

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 330-393 (95.6 - 113.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 291-346 (89.8 - 106.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Now for pokemon number 4, Thundurus-I

Thundurus @ Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 212 HP / 116 Def / 60 SpA / 20 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Taunt

Thundurus' main role was to be the teams speed controller, gimmick stopper and status stopper and it was also there to deal with flying type pokemon and bulky waters for example suicune, milotic and talonflame.

Now for the moveset for the most its really standard thunder wave is for its speed control abilities and to also to provide that bit of paralysis which could help you in a sticky situation. Thunderbolt is the STAB attack of choice to deal with aforementioned flying and water pokemon. Taunt was chosen to stop pokemon like amoonguss, rotom-w etc from using there various status moves and as a stop to trick room should the situation call for it. And Protect is there to stop turn one fake outs from pokemon like mega kangaskhan and to stall out various field conditions like opposing tailwind and trick room.

The ev spread lets this thundurus tank a jolly return from mega kangaskhan and 2 rock slides from your standard landorus-t. the 100 speed was to speed creep opposing thundurus for the most part so I could get the first taunt or status and it also outspeeds neutral nature base 100s with some room for example mega charizard y. the special attack and special defense were dumps for the most part and to help thundy do some decent damage. The yache berry also lets thundurus survive any one ice type attack for example kyurem-b's ice beam, mamoswines icicle crash among others.

Pokémon number 5 is next and it is, Suicune

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 212 HP / 60 Def / 156 SpA / 60 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Suicune mains job was to be the teams sponge to physical damage, set tailwind when required and to be the teams primary check to landorus-t.

The moveset is mostly standard with scald being selected as the primary STAB attack because of its reliability in terms of accuracy and the chance to get burns on physical attackers or bulkier pokemon. Ice beam is used to check landorus-t for the most part but it can also hit dragon types like garchomp and latios for decent damage. Tailwind is another means of speed control for the team as a whole and when played in the right place it can win games. Protect is a means to stop suicune being KO'd from potential double targets since for the most part there needed to knock this damage sponge out.

The ev spread is pretty complicated for the most part but I will now explain it, the 20 speed investment allows suicune to outspeed adamant nature scarf lando-t's in tailwind in conjunction with the 156 spatk ev's it can one shot just about all non AV landorus-t's with ice beam. 212 HP lets the sitrus berry activate should you get hit with the odd super fang from pokemon like scrafty and crobat. the remaining ev's were dumped into the defences to increase overall bulk.

156 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 340-400 (103 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now for the final pokemon on this team, landorus-t

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Everyone who plays DOU knows what this pokemon does in the metagame it acts as my teams intimidate for when required and as the main check to pokemon like heatran and mega charizard y since it is able to OHKO both with Earthquake and rock tomb respectively.

Now for the moveset Earthquake was chosen as the primary STAB attack of choice to chunk the opposing side of the field with strong spread damage and to OHKO heatran unless it runs the odd shuca berry. Rock tomb was chosen over rock slide for the main reason of OHKOing charizard y through wide guard since zard y can deal chunks of damage to this team if left alone. Knock Off was chosen as this sets utility move of choice since it can hit ghost types like aegislash for super effective damage and it also removes items which are generally key for most pokemon. Superpower is there as another move to chunk mega kangaskhan and an alternative to hit heatran if I predict a wide guard for example.

The ev spread is another simple one. Hit Hard and Hit Fast

252 Atk Landorus-T Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 352-416 (118.5 - 140%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 284-336 (80.6 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Common Leads

Thundurus + Gardevoir/Aegislash

This lead combination is generally used for the most when I need heavy damage to start the game and some speed control. the pokemon next to thundurus generally depends on the opposing team and my decision on what will hit there potential leads hardest.
Thundurus + Landorus-T

Ah the classic double genies lead this is used when I believe the opposing team is weak to these two as a whole. It also lets me get heavy damage and speed control like the previous lead but the coverage these two provide hit a different list of pokemon.

Gardevoir + Suicune

This lead combo isn't common in my time in using this team since I only lead it in specific situations one of these is when the opposing has a pokemon like raichu since it has its own fake out and it makes thundy for the most part dead weight. so in this case I click tailwind and hyper voice since raichu can only fake out one of the pokemon and for the most part I will get a positive result from the lead.

Threat List

Well supported sun teams: Sun teams for the most part can be a pain since the sun allows pokemon like chlorophyll venusaur outspeed my whole team and either sleep pokemon at its discretion or chunk 3 of my teams members with its main STAB's and charizard can hit the rest for heavy damage with its boosted fire type attacks. This kind of matchup needs to be played carefully with thundurus, landorus-t and virizion being at the front of the action to try and slow down venusaur and to take down charizard.

Trick Room: As you can probably tell this team for the most part is really fast so trick room can be a painful matchup aswell. In these matchups aegislash is key since it chunks most trick room setters and can OHKO some of them before trick room is setup.

Well this is the end of this RMT. I thank anyone who read of all of this. Feel free to use the team on the ladder and if you want pm me on showdown any results you get feel free, I go by the same username on showdown.

Last edited:
Team looks cool, swap Ebelt for Life Orb on Virizion. I know its tempting to run ebelt to take super advantage of Virizions 129 spdef but the damage increase from ebelt to Life Orb really is noticeable. It gives you the guaranteed OHKO on Kyurem-B for one thing, and a much higher roll against Suicune is also super helpful. I once lost a really important game because my Ebelt Virizion wasn't Life Orb and have vowed not to let others repeat my errors.

Also use max speed Thundurus, it's just so much better and your team is overall really slow.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi! this seems like a really fun team, however I'd recommend some changes,

on gardevoir i'd use psyshock over psychic.
even though psychic offers a teeny tiny bit more base power, psyshock makes it much easier to beat opposing sylveon and gardevoirs, as well as cresselia.

honestly in my opinion energy ball gardevoir isn't really good, even though I can see the niche it provides. i'd personally use ally switch over energy ball, but I guess that's mainly personal preference

i think
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature is better in almost any case considering you're gonna kill hoopa-unbound and live aegislash attacks all the time

as kylecole said, you're just much better off running life orb, you'll really notice the damage difference

i also think sitrus berry is better than yache berry, as you kinda can just EV your thundurus to live kyurem-black ice beam

and finally i'd change the landorus-t set, choice scarf just offers so much more as you're pretty slow and with scarf you're going to be so useful. cock slide is better than rocktomb, you deal more damage with rock slide and 30% chance to flinch as well as being spread is just super strong..i also really like u-turn over knock off as it just gives you a lot more momentum than just switching out as a whole

nice rmt
-melo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)