pןɹoʍ pǝʇɹǝʌuı ǝɥʇ oʇ ǝɯoɔןǝʍ

Welcome ...

to the inverted world
↑ →
Yep. Hey Smogon, I'm back with another successful (although fairly old) team that, long ago, hit my peak of criticism. This team was created during the Dory-durus era and, is without a doubt, the most fun team that I've played around with, mostly due to the abundance of uncommon sets.

B/W's metagame is based mostly around bulk -- it took me far too long to figure out such a simple explanation for what I'd theorized -- and, as usual, I wanted to take advantage of a common theme among a large portion OU teams. The first build of this team was centered around mixed Flygon, which, because of its typing, defenses, and movepool was very good in the Doryuzuu-infested metagame. Unfortunately, neither Doryuuzu or Thundurus were able to escape the fiery wrath of the BW community, so I'd made the choice to quit this game (...after a long string of bad luck). Before the existence and eventual retirement of that team, however, I'd created another team with a similar concept in mind. That team is the team featured in this thread; the team that I'd originally made to test Crawdaunt in OU. I'd dropped this team after doing a sufficient amount of testing, but several weeks after going "ape-shit-bad-troll mode" on the 'major' PO servers, I'd decided to retest this team's viability on the Brazil sever. To my surprise, it managed to do pretty well on both of my alts, "pןɹoʍ pǝʇɹǝʌuı" and "9K+1" -- I'd created two alts at separate points in time in order to experiment with the efficiency of this team, without luck being a significant problem, which turned out well. I made a few finishing touches and, with inspiration gained from my unfinished (now discarded) RMT, decided to post it here for some much needed critique. Anyway, enough of me rambling about, here's a (rather long) rundown of how this team came to be:

As I'd mentioned in the previous paragraph, this team is based around Crawdaunt in order to show off the crawfish's viability on OU. Crawdaunt is very powerful under rainy conditions; because Rain Dance's duration is limited and inconsistent, Politoed has always been Crawdaunt's main partner. Although, I completely ignored Politoed's existence until the final stages of this team, as its moveset depends solely on that this team needs most.

Though I'd postponed Politoed's moveset and by extent, method of being useful to this team, I couldn't ignore its typing. Type synergy helps a lot in the long run, no matter how defensive or offensive one's team is. For example, having a Pokemon that can sponge a moderately powerful Thunder is incredibly useful to even hyper-offensive teams, as Pokemon such as Starmie and Lati@s won't be able to easily net momentum on the off chance that the ongoing match-up tilts in their favor (think: +2 Gyarados's Bounce missing, or the infrequent Choice Scarf Starmie / Latios). I wanted to have as few electric weaknesses as possible, but did not want to resort to using Nattorei, Celebi or Virizion for the simple reason that the community has fully adapted to their shenanigans. Ironically, Starmie and Tornadus give many Drizzle-themed teams problems, so I wanted to check them (and anything with a very strong Water STAB attack or Hurricane) first. Then, 'it' dawned upon me.

Following the shattered remains of finding reliable checks to potent threats was an idea that would fix my problems, specially defensive Rotom-W. I'd created a pseudo check to VoltTurn cores, Starmie, Tornadus, and to an extent, the now common rain-based Volcarona, but I couldn't stop there. Placing all of a team's pressure on one Pokemon is, bluntly put, a dumb idea. Synergy has to exist somewhere, and that's what I'd aimed to create next -- and no, not defensive synergy, but rather just ensuring that no Pokemon becomes a standalone member.

This is where I usually fuck up in the teambuilding process. This is when I normally decide on what I'm going to be most weak to, and 90% of the time, I end up completely disregarding a very common threat (usually Brokenrona), eventually having to start back from this step or discard whatever team I'd working on. Rotom-W checks Tornadus, Scizor, Volcarona, Jirachi, Landorus, Mamoswine, and Starmie. In order to complement Rotom-W's defensive capabilities, I had to find a Pokemon with an Earthquake immunity, first. Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake would be able to keep powerful users of it on their toes, forcing them into using either a coverage attack or risk giving me a free turn. After grouping those Pokemon together, I began filtering them, based off of defensive capabilities; Pokemon that cannot keep Landorus and / or Mamoswine under control as well as Rotom can were immediately dropped from my considerations. After that, I singled out which Pokemon would be able to tank hits that Rotom simply cannot stomach, and ended up with Bronzong. Bronzong is a staple wall on most of my BW OU teams, so of course, I was biased when choosing it, but there was nothing else better that I could've chosen for this slot. With the main defensive pivots out of the way, it was time to buff my team's offenses.

This was the most fun part of the building process, because I was able to test out so many unorthodox Pokemon in these final two slots. In time (after using physical Latios :pimp:), I'd screwed my head on correctly, and went for checking late-game cleaners next. This is where I'd given up in the first iteration of this team, hoping to pressure any remaining threats to the point where wouldn't have a chance to sweep anything. After picking this team up again, I'd made quite a few changes. The first of these changes was adding mixed Dragonite and Choice Scarf Scizor in the final two slots for the extra (and much needed) resistances, power and checks to Celebi, Lucario, Reuniclus, Starmie, Gengar, Lati@s and the extremely dangerous Alakazam. Keeping to my own word, after creating a 'final' build of this team, I'd decided to make Politoed a Choice Specs variant, for the purpose of drastically weakening the opposition alongside Crawdaunt and Dragonite, as well as beating down Tyranitar ballsy enough to stay in.

Oh, but it just wasn't meant to be. Ironically, I'd completely forgotten about carrying an Electric resist, so along with several EV adjustments, I'd swapped Dragonite for LO + Recover Latios. With that change made, my team gained a much needed Electric resistance, much more threatening offensive threat, and secondary check to VoltTurn. For that time at least, this team felt solid and I'd decided to stop making changes. I.E, after dropping Dragonite for Latios and making the appropriate EV spread changes, this team was finished.

I wanted to create a theme for this team, but was stuck between Halo and Megadeth. I'm a huge fan of both, but ultimately decided disregard a particular theme and give a shoutout to my fellow Bleach fans, hence to title. Shinji Hirako is my favorite character in the series, and because this team features quite a few sporadic Pokemon (sets) as well as a bit of Trick Room, I named this RMT after Sakanade's (Shinji's Zanpakuto) Shikai ability.

I can't help being a quivering fanboy. Get @ me.

...and that's where babies come from.

Personal goals aside, this team hasn't set any real milestones, but I want to know what you sexy people think about it. Now, onto the team itself!

A quick glance before we begin...
╔═════════════════════════════§═════════════════════════════╗
§-----
-
-----§
╚═════════════════════════════§═════════════════════════════╝
{
}

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
├┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┤
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Earthquake
Trick Room
├┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┤

This team kicks off with one of my favorite Pokemon, both in-game and competitively, Bronzong. Due to past paranoia of Doryuuzu, Skymin and Darkrai, I simply cannot make a team without including some variant of Bronzong. This time around, I'm using Bronzong as a check to a large amount of special and physical threats. Bronzong's Gyro Ball and Earthquake are abnormally powerful for a such defensive Steel-type, preventing bastards such as Dragonite, "ArcoBat" Gliscor, and Magenezone from making Bronzong yummy setup fodder. Unlike before however, Bronzong holds a very powerful weapon against offensive teams in its hands, Trick Room. Even without much Attack investment, Bronzong becomes a potent threat while Trick Room is active, slamming several Pokemon with its STAB Gyro Ball and cleaning up Pokemon that resist it with Earthquake; however, making Bronzong a threat is not the point of Trick Room in this slot. Offensive teams and Speed-boosting sweepers will have their way with this team if it loses too much momentum. Pokemon such as Volcarona and Scrafty have the defenses (and Flame Body) to set up on more than a single boost, making them very tough to revenge kill with (weak) priority attacks and Choice Scarf users that don't go by the name of Terrakion. Trick Room turns most of my team into pseudo revenge killers, which is endlessly useful when I'm pushed into a corner. Bronzong complements Rotom very well, defensively, and keeps my team safe from the bombardments of offensive teams. Overall, Bronzong is a valuable member of this team and will always be.
{
}

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef / 12 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
├┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┤
Will-O-Wisp
Thunderbolt

Hydro Pump
Pain Split
├┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┤

Next, we have a creation of my own (...kinda), specially defensive Rotom-W. I honestly adore this set more than anything on my team, because it can do so damn much. From checking the ever-annoying Starmie to pressuring defensive teams, Rotom is insanely useful to this team. I'm legitimately baffled as to why it took me months to come up with something so obvious, and still to this day bash myself for not thinking *slightly* out of the box back then. Narcissism aside, Rotom has severed this team well, patching up numerous holes and serving as a very effective defensive pivot for most of that utterly dicks rain teams up and down. Starmie's Life Orb-boosted Hydro Pump, for example, will never 2HKO this Rotom (although, with SR, there's a slim chance), and any damage lost can be healed back with Pain Split. The extra Special Defense also gives Rotom the ability to tank powerful Draco Meteors and whatnot, albeit by a sliver of plasma. Volt Switch is terrible and I hate you guys for using it on every Rotom set (jk, but Volt Switch isn't all that good, IMHO). Thunderbolt gives Rotom a lot of extra power, while preventing stupid things like SubDD Gyarados from dancing (no pun intended) all around my team. To the curious, the spread was C&P'd from Rotom-W's Gen IV RestTalk spread with a few adjustments. Removing twelve HP EVs places Rotom at 301 HP, which just happens to be the burn / poison number iirc. The remaining EVs went into Speed because I'm scared of opposing Crawdaunt.

----------------------------------------
My defensive core, having been introduced, is only the beginning of this team. The next four slots make up this team's main offensive core. I don't really like giving spoilers, but I will say that none of my teams are able to function without some sort of strong offense. Even if I'm running a hardcore stall team, I'm going to find some way of squeezing in a powerhouse; I did that once before with a Hail stall team, using CB Victini as its main source of power. As cliche as the idea of 'balance' is, two Pokemon boast great Speed stats and the other two attack backed by incredible power. These Pokemon have more than enough utility to keep this team safe from many onslaughts.
{
}

Scizor (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
├┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┤
U-turn
Pursuit
Superpower
Bullet Punch
├┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┤

DPP is my favorite tier (fuck RSE) and I'm happy to have stuck around since early DP days. A lot of the aspects that defined the Gen IV metagame hugely changed in the generation shift. Swampert, Metagross, and Azelf, in particular, suffered heavy blows to their viability with the debut of not only team preview, but new walls, namely Nattorei and Burungeru. Some Pokemon however, managed to weather the large changes, and maintain a dominating hand in the metagame. Scizor, being one of those said Pokemon, is celebrated for its amazing utility on just about every team, which stems mostly from its powerful STAB attacks, Technican, and Pursuit. Not only that, but Scizor can handle itself well defensively with its typing, Roost, and acceptable bulk, making Sword Dance another option that Scizor can pull off marvelously. That said, if Scizor is playing a different role from what's mentioned above, then any player can be legitimately surprised, opening up multiple possibilities to gain momentum. Choice Scarf Scizor, unlike its dramatically more powerful counterparts, is geared more towards revenge killing slower threats that either have enough bulk to stomach a Bullet Punch, or can evade being KOed with a move or item. Lucario, Starmie, and Latios, for example, usually have a very good chance of beating (the normally slower) Scizor, but are easily dispatched by a fast Superpower, U-turn, and Pursuit, respectively. Despite the large power drop, Scizor's Bullet Punch retains its sting, making it useful for revenge killing much faster threats, particularly Terrakion. Scizor's Steel typing is what makes it a valuable member of this team. Lucario, Gengar, Latios, Haxorus, and lots more become so much easier to handle with Scizor in the wings. Not only that, but Scizor helps Bronzong deal with Draco Meteor and / or Outrage pressure, which is definitely a relief for this team.

{
}

Crawdaunt (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
├┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┤
Crabhammer
Crunch
Superpower
Double-Edge
├┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┤

Here's the big boss himself, Crawdaunt. Crawdaunt had been the apple of my (Pokemon) eye for a short, but sweet while. After SJC posted about Crawdaunt's perks in the "Pokemon unfit for OU Analyses" thread, I just had to try it out for myself, and was not disappointed. Several days of testing -- combined total of a whopping eight hours -- revealed to me the best possible route to take Crawdaunt in. The primary version of this team lacked two very important things: dedication and effort. I'm lazy, indecisive, and inconsistent with my thoughts, but that hasn't yet stopped me from going that extra mile to create successful teams. That said, after gaining much better synergy with its team, Crawdaunt's viability began to show itself a lot more often, instead of being inconsistent and hilariously situational. Crawdaunt is certainly a force to be reckoned with, despite being somewhat reliant on prediction. It boasts the most power physical Dark- and Water-type STAB in the game, which gives him a very good niche on Drizzle teams. Crawdaunt is capable of blasting its way through many of the Water resists in OU, particularly Nattorei and Rotom-W, with only Crabhammer. Virizion, Latios, and even Dragonite must be careful about switching into Crawdaunt, as they risk being maimed by its Crabhammer as well. If the opposing team doesn't have a damn thing immune to Crabhammer, it's soooooo free for Crawdaunt. Crunch is what separates Crawdaunt from other Water-types, hitting Gastrodon, Jellicent, and many other Pokemon immune to Water for an OHKO. Even Toxicroak must be wary of switching into Crunch, as it, with or without max HP, can be 2HKOed very easily by it. The final two slots complete Crawdaunt's overall type coverage, giving it a bit of unpredictability. Crawdaunt's main purpose here is breaking down walls alongside Politoed, giving the rest of my team a much easier time cleaning up. More specifically, Nattorei, Gastrodon, Scizor, and Rotom-W are what Crawdaunt aims to lure out, which it does a very good job of doing.

Crawdaunt is the climax of this RMT, but I won't be going downhill from here. The last two slots are without a doubt, the most important Pokemon on this team. Without either of these Pokemon, this team is as good as useless. Although, their movesets are definitely subject to change if you guys deem it necessary.
{
}

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
├┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┤
Psyshock
Dragon Pulse
Surf
Recover
├┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┤

Latios, IMO at least, is the biggest surprise of Gen V. Having moved right down from the Ubers metagame, Latios, over time, has become one of the most prominent, but, doubtlessly, manageable threats in OU. That being the case, Latios doesn't really need much of an introduction, so I'll get right to his purpose to this team. Latios is responsible for relieving his teammates of a lot of the pressure that they face, by checking fast and powerful, but marginally less defensively capable threats. Grass-types in general have a very tough time getting past Latios, Bronzong, and Scizor; Politoed has to tread carefully as to not give Rotom-W or Latios a free chance to switch in; Fighting-types, particularly Terrakion cannot mindless spam their STAB without the risk of giving Latios an opportunity to power through them. I honestly cannot go into depth about Latios's moveset, because it's exactly what anyone would expect. Latios's offensive utility is mostly delegated to placing Pokemon within Crawdaunt or Politoed's KO range, and more importantly, cleaning up.

{
}

Politoed (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
├┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┤
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Surf
Focus Blast
├┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┤

I can vividly recall SpecsToed being one of my favorite Pokemon, but also one of the Pokemon that I'd feared the most, back in the earliest stages of BW. Politoed has herculean power when holding Choice Specs, mowing down a lot of Pokemon in OU without as much as breaking a sweat. Choosing between defensive Politoed and SpecsToed wasn't a problem at all. I honestly had no use for Politoed's support movepool and didn't want to give Nattorei too much leeway. Choosing Politoed's moveset however, was rather vexing, as I had to choose between better neutral coverage and centralizing one of Politoed's moves around covering any remaining weaknesses. Politoed absolutely needs Surf for both consistency and PP, as it simply cannot risk Hydro Pump missing on a predicted switch or while Trick Room is active. Ice Beam falls in a similar vein, but is extremely useful for preventing things such as Haxorus, Latias, Celebi, and Breloom from getting the better of me. Hidden Power Grass is far too weak, and is strongly telegraphed beforehand, making it less preferable to me. The idea of luring Jellicent, Rotom-W, and Gastrodon in was great, initially, but soon became this team's biggest liability, as HP Grass, even with boosted by Choice Specs, is laughably weak, allowing many, many Pokemon to set up on it. Finally, I became stuck between using Perish Song and Focus Blast. Focus Blast, while powerful and great coverage-wise, is limited by both its PP and accuracy. Having only eight opportunities to use an inconsistently good attack, is too much for me to tolerate. Similarly, Perish Song always hits its targets, and but its use is limited to conservative sweepers that normally pack an attack strong enough to greatly wound, or downright OHKO Politoed. In the end, I chose Focus Blast, finding almost no use for Perish Song outside of stopping the occasional SmashPass team (which usually finds a method of playing around Perish Song (e.g attacking for two turns, then baiting an opportunity to set up)). Politoed is a committed wallbreaker, working with Crawdaunt to ensure a sweep from Scizor, Bronzong, or Latios, as well as my only method of retaining weather control.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Threat List:

The most badass of badass dragons is the biggest threat that this team has faced and will ever face. I literally have to force this thing into Outraging before even having a chance of reliably killing it. Thankfully enough, Scizor, in all of its shining glory, can survive even a +1 Earthquake and slam Haxorus with U-turn, knocking it right into the KO range of Bullet Punch given that a bit a residual damage was taken beforehand. I've tried using Skarmory / Ferrothorn in the place of Bronzong for a somewhat reliable solution to Haxorus, but opened myself up to Brokenrona and Mamoswine a lot more. If I see Haxorus in team preview, it's really a matter of spamming the 'right' attacks in order to catch it on the switch, and it usually works. Other than that, I usually pray that my opponent's using Outrage instead Dragon Claw =D

I don't understand how this disgusting bastard spawn of Salamence and Heatran managed to get through every suspect test without a scratch, but it's always a threat to my teams. Once it sets up on Scizor locked into anything, a predicted switch, or Bronzong, I usually have to rely on Trick Room keep Volcarona in check. Bulkier sets are a lot easier handle, because Politoed can tank a +1 Bug Buzz and blast the fiery moth back to the depths of Hell, where it belongs. Seriously, every time someone says that SR "checks" Volcarona, I want slam my laptop into the nearest solid object and my face into the nearest wall. Anyway, enough of my ranting, onto the next threat!

Well, this is depressing. Since Gen IV, I've always carried something that can give Jolteon the business, but this time around, I don't really have a reliable switch to it, let alone a check. All Jolteon really has to do spam Thunder, and something will die immediately after. Thankfully, Jolteon is usually accompanied by DrizzleToed, meaning that I can at least sacrifice my own Politoed if shit goes down.
════════════════════════
In general, the threats to this team are commonly found on offensive teams. So, if push comes to shove, I'll try my hardest to get Trick Room up. While not the most reliable of ways to keep this team alive, it's certainly saved my ass from all of the aforementioned threats.
Anywho, I hope that you people enjoyed reading this RMT, but you don't have to stop here! Below is the "Post Reply" button. Be sure to press it and give me advice on how to make this team better. I likely won't test any changes immediately, with this technically being my retirement team and all, but am definitely welcoming any and all criticism, so post away!
Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Trick Room

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef / 12 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Scizor (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch

Crawdaunt (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Adaptability
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crabhammer
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Double-Edge

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Recover

Politoed (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Surf
Btw, shoutouts to any other Megadeth and / or Zelda fans <3

This was a great read. Seriously, i very much enjoyed reading through this RMT and would have read on if it was 3 times its size. The design was nice(as well as the Bleach vid(<3 Shinji and Aizen).

Moving on, this is a solid team you posted. Its well plotted and thought out, although your lack of a spinner will wound your Volturn Strategy.

Also, the fact that you have to rely on such threadbare methods in order to stop the most common threats in the metagame(Dragonites a threat too), means that this team just falls short of "magnificent" status(just saying).

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
first of all, let me just say that this is an excellent team, and an extremely well-presented RMT. great work!

on to the team! like you outlined in your threat list, haxorus and volcarona look like they could really threaten you under the right conditions. in order to deal with these pokemon more reliably, i recommend that you use a choice scarf terrakion over scizor. scizor is a good revenge killer, but scarf terra lets you outspeed and OHKO +1 haxorus and volcarona (it OHKOs haxorus with close combat after stealth rock damage iirc) with the appropriate move, letting you deal with them more reliably. it even lets you outspeed and OHKO jolteon, who you mentioned as a potential threat. it also lets you smash dragonite with stone edge, a pokemon who looks like he could be a bit of an issue to you at the moment. use a set of stone edge / close combat / x-scissor / rock slide, an ev spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe, and a jolly nature with the item choice scarf. though you do lose a second dragon resist by switching from scizor to terrakion, i feel that bronzong is a sturdy enough pokemon that he can reliably sponge dragon-type hits if need be.

as for smaller changes, why dont you try out waterfall over crabhammer on crawdaunt? i know you lose some power, but with a choice band, an adaptability boost, and rain, waterfall is still gonna be hitting crazy hard. waterfall's main selling point is that it has perfect accuracy, and seeing how frail crawdaunt is, a miss could very well cost you an entire match. additionally, i suggest you give draco meteor over dragon pulse a try on latios. i know you probably hate the special attack drop that comes from DM, but there's no denying that it's a ridiculously powerful move, and it's a shame that youre not taking advantage of it. it doesn't let you clean up as easily as dragon pulse does, but you can actually clean up with psyshock reasonably well, as well as scarf scizor (or terrakion, if you use my previous suggestion). finally, i know you say you hate hidden power grass on politoed, but i really think you should consider it, mainly for dealing with gastrodon. at the moment, the slug looks like he could be a huge issue for your team to take down, so the ability to OHKO him with hidden power grass just seems too great to pass up. i would say either use it over hydro pump or surf, depending on what you see as the more disposable move.

replace scizor with a choice scarf terrakion
on crawdaunt, use waterfall over crabhammer
on latios, use draco meteor over dragon pulse
on politoed, use hidden power grass over either surf or hydro pump

awesome team, and good luck dude!

Hey, Chillarmy, that's a great team you got there. I really like the fact that you're using Crawdaunt, I realize its power and I'm planning to try out it now! Anyways onto your team, Volcarona, Scrafty and Haxorus are huge threats to your team. With Hurricane Volcarona in rain is now rising in usage you have to be prepared for it.

252SpAtk Life Orb +1 Volcarona (Neutral) Bug Buzz vs 252HP/92SpDef Bronzong (+SpDef): 64% - 75% (217 - 256 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Life Orb Volcarona (Neutral) Hurricane vs 12HP/0SpDef Scizor (Neutral): 73% - 87% (210 - 248 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
Scizor will be OHKOed if it had taken any prior damage.

252Atk Technician Scizor (Neutral) Bullet Punch vs 4HP/0Def Volcarona (Neutral): 22% - 26% (69 - 82 HP). Guaranteed 5HKO.
Scizor

252SpAtk Life Orb +1 Volcarona (Neutral) Bug Buzz vs 40HP/0SpDef Politoed (Neutral): 89% - 105% (295 - 348 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 32% chance to OHKO.
As you can see after SR, Politoed will be guaranteed OHKO by +1 LO Bug Buzz.

To fix this problem, I suggest running Choice Scarf Landorus over Scizor. Though Landorus doesn't wield as much power as Scizor does, its speed excels with a scarf. Its Base 125 Attack is nothing to laugh at (72% - 85% to Volcarona with Earthquake), what's more is that it also has U-turn which allows it to scout like your Scizor. However the downside is that you miss that priority Bullet Punch, which can save you from DD Dragons. Switching your Scizor for Landorus gives you a weakness to DD Scrafty. However Scrafty isn't too common and Landorus does 52% - 61% to it with Earthquake (though Drain Punch will just get most of the HP back). Which is why Scarf Terrakion is another option to consider if you want to replace your Scizor.

Now onto your Scrafty problem, DD Variants won't outspeed Scizor after on DD and gets 86-101% back from Superpower. The problem is Bulk Up Variants. After one BU, Scizor's Superpower only does 46% - 55% to Scrafty, which can be regained from Drain Punch. In the paragraph above I said Scarf Terrakion (in place of Scizor) could check it for you. It can... Scarf Terrakion does 76% - 89% to +1 Scrafty, not an OHKO but if it had taken any damage prior it would be KOed.

Moving on... Haxorus. It's only a threat if it has Mold Breaker, other wise your Bronzong can handle it. After 1 DD, it can 1-2HKO your entire team, and Scizor's scarf Bullet Punch won't do much (36% - 43%). This can be fixed with Scarf Terrakion or Landorus (again lol). Scarf Landorus can outspeed and do a huge amount with HP Ice and Terrakion's Close Combat will take a chunk out of it too. Scarf Landorus has the edge over Terrakion here because it can switch into Earthquake while you have to sacrifice a Pokemon to get Terrakion in.

Summary:
Scarf Landorus/Terrakion over Scizor.
Reason: Having more speed and having moves to take out some specific threats.
Sets:
Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
GL with your team.

@Ripamon - I'm not using Volt Switch, but you did make a good point in your post. Because I'm running three choiced attackers, it's going to be a bit difficult keeping this team alive if entry hazards are scattered on my side of the field. I realized this already, and have tried multiple spinners (but obviously not all of them) on this team in the past; however, I'll look into Starmie, Forretress, Tentacruel, and Hitmontop, once again. Thanks for the rate!

@Snorlaxe - I'm a bit iffy on losing Pursuit, U-turn, and a reliable check to Bullet Punch Lucario, but will definitely try ScarfTerrak in that slot for the reasons you'd mentioned. Losing the ability to trap Gengar, Latios, and Starmie is, honestly, very unnerving, but checking the major threats to this team is much more important. Regarding the other changes, I've actually been itching to try Draco Meteor on Latios instead of Dragon Pulse, so I'll give it a shot. I'd chosen Crabhammer because it can OHKO Skarmory, Virizion, Rotom-W, and Nattorei, after Stealth Rock damage -- all KO's that Waterfall will fall short of. I actually don't mind playing around with that 10%, especially with the bonus of a higher critical hit ratio. Honestly, after using Crawdaunt for so long, it's pretty rare that I'll solely rely on Crabhammer to win a match (missing the 2HKO on Nattorei is rrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyy frustrating, but it's worth it to see that pile of thorns, grass, and pancakes switch out of Crawdaunt most of the time). I'll try HP Grass on Politoed; Gastrodon and the uncommon Vaporeon are pretty tough to bring down without having Crawdaunt locked into Crunch, and I don't mind replacing one of Politoed's attacks with it. So yeah, thanks for the suggestions!

@extremebeta - I don't rely on Scizor to revenge Volcarona. Under rainy conditions, Rotom actually has the best shot at taking Volcarona out, with Trick Room falling into a close second. Moreover, Bronzong only needs one turn to set Trick Room up, so I really do not see the problem with it having to tank a +1 LO Bug Buzz. Maybe I'm interpreting what you'd said incorrectly, but when creating this RMT, I made it a priority to brush up on any trends in the current metagame, namely VoltTurn, Bulk Up Breloom, and rain-Volcarona. If I didn't have a method of keeping any of those in check, then I would've mentioned it at multiple points in this RMT, or under the Threat List. Anyway, everything you'd mentioned in your post had already been covered by Snorlaxe, but I'll also try Landorus as well for U-turn. I really appreciate your advice!

Oh... and DD Scrafty gives me a helluva lot more trouble than Bulk Up, because I have two Pokemon fully capable of plowing right through +1 Defense Scrafty. Crawdaunt and Politoed have more than enough power to keep BU Scrafty in check.

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this team so far. Please, please, please keep the rates and suggestions coming =D

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey,

At the moment, really any electric type like Zapdos, Raikou, Jolteon or even Lanturn has a field day with this team; your only resist - Latios - is crippled by its weak defenses and LO recoil, and Bronzong, while able to shrug off a few attacks, will falter under repeated onslaughts. While I am tempted to suggest Celebi, it only heightens your Volc weakness. To me, Bronzong is the absolute weakest link on the team, set up fodder for spikers when you have no spinner and playing a funky and somewhat redundant function on your team that only benefits against offensive leaning teams, which Scizor and Rotom-w handle already. Replacing it with Heatran could be really worth your while since it scares out Ferrothorn and common spikers from setting up, while you can get Volc and Sun checked, and get a hazard of your own set up and still check those Electric types very well (Heatran was the #1 electric check in DPP). It makes a more steady member of your defensive core. Using a standard Stealth Rock | Lava Plume | Roar | Earth Power set with 252 HP / 244 SpDef / 12 Spe and a Calm nature you can get the jump on opposing Heatran. You still check CM Jirachi and numerous other things that Bronzong did, but now with more efficiency.

Rotom-w also doesn’t need those defense EVs for much since it has will-o-wisp to quell any physical attackers like Scizor or Terrak, where transferring the def evs to sp atk will give you additional power so that you can muscle through and KO something that might otherwise have lived from a weak Hydro Pump, even in rain, i.e. Scizor. HP Grass is also a good consideration over Hydro Pump on Politoed to hit Gastro and other pesky water types. Iconic probably beat this into me when he tutored me, I don’t know how many times, but you will absolutely appreciate the stability in accuracy Surf gives you over Hydro Pump – take it from Iconic if not me. I applaud your use of Crawduant – it’s a cool mon to use! Although removing Bronzong might give Crawduant a harder time sweeping, I think it should be fine as what it really functions as, a wall breaker.

Good luck mate!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Your team has Crawdaunt, ofc I'm gonna rate it xp

I am gonna suggest a radical change to your defensive core that will allow you to more solidly check Haxorus, Volcarona, and Jolteon, while checking the threats the former core has dealt. I also emphasize paralysis support to better support CB Crawdaunt + Specs Politoed + LO Latios than a temporary fix with Trick Room. I suggest Specially Defensive Jirachi - Bulky Gyarados - Gastrodon core > over your Rotom-W - Bronzong - Scarf Scizor.

Specially-defensive Jirachi handles with Gengar, Latios, Alakazam, Reuniclus, and Tornadus that Scizor Pursuit-checked. Gyarados checks Lucario, Volcarona, Landorus, and Mamoswine that was checked by Scizor and Rotom-W, respectively; Jirachi & Gyarados together manhandles Haxorus, Dragonite, and Gyarados. Gastrodon counters Volt-Turn, Jolteon, CM Jirachi, and Starmie. This defensive core checks previous threats and more, while providing paralysis & Wish support that further facilitate the sweep by your powerhouses. I'll elaborate further below:

Gyarados @ Leftovers | Intimidate
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD | Impish
Waterfall | Thunder Wave | Taunt | Dragon Tail

Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe | Careful
Iron Head | Thunder | Wish | Stealth Rock

Gyarados's Intimidate really comes in handy to check Dragonite / Haxorus. For one, it negates their DD boost, allowing Jirachi to easily sponge +0 Outrages. You can bait them to Outrage by the threat of T-Wave or Dragon Tail, which Jirachi can easily take. While Jirachi takes an Outrage, it can threaten these Dragons with Thunder's 60% par-rate or Wish-stall.

Gyarados under the Rain easily breaks Substitutes of DD Gyarados and threaten it with paralysis (or you can switch to Jirachi on the predicted Bounce and take it out with Thunder on its way down).

Although Gyarados is SR weak, its nice defensive synergy with Jirachi allows it to receive Wish from Jirachi with relative ease. Intimidate really comes in handy for sponging attacks from Landorus, Terrakion, and Lucario, and OHKO them with a Rain-boosted Waterfall. Scrafty is 2HKOed iirc.

Jirachi has a tendency of getting trapped by Magnezone, so you may wish to have U-turn over either Stealth Rock or Iron Head.

Although, Gastrodon is a defensive core, it can contribute to the team's offense by going Specs. You can then remove Specs on Politoed and provide it Scarf to check threats, such as Terrakion, Tornadus, and DD Dragonite for the team. Thanks to the boost from Specs, it handily beats CM Jirachi before it can set enough CM boosts and actually bangs up Ferrothorn (Earth Power does 40%+ even w/o Storm Drain boost).

Gastrodon @ Choice Specs | Storm Drain
144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 SpD | Modest
~ Scald / Surf
~ Earth Power
~ Ice Beam
~ Hidden Power [Grass]

Politoed @ Choice Scarf | Drizzle
12 Def / 252 SpA / 244 Spe | Timid
~ Surf
~ Hydro Pump
~ Ice Beam
~ Focus Blast / Hypnosis

Enough speed to outpace Dragonite after a DD. Focus Blast is good for nailing Ferrothorn, but Hypnosis allows Politoed to indiscriminately disable any Politoed counters. This is helpful to this team, since the abundance of high-powered Water offense naturally makes your team checked by the same mon that checks Politoed.

I think you'll find these changes beneficial to the goal of this team. Hope you find even more success with this team, Chillarmy.

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
^^

Above post is why Pocket remains the best TR in the business. Ironically though, you may have some trouble with non-Rain Jirachi with that change - just make sure it never has an easy time getting a Sub up - Pocket's suggestions are absolute gold.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Aw, thanks SP for the kind words :'D. DA BOSS

Non-Rain SubCM variants (I'm assuming SubCM, Psyshock, and Tbolt?) can be problematic if they set up CM instead of Sub as you switch to Gastrodon. Psyshock does 44-52% to Gastrodon after a CM, whereas a Specs Earth Power does 63-75% after +1 SpD boost - CM Jirachi does have a potential to 2HKO Gastrodon with little residual damage. Your team should be able to play around this Jirachi for the most part, however. If it ever becomes a problem you can divert those SpD EVs of Gastrodon into HP so it can take Psyshock better (41-49%), but the current spread is more specially defensive.

I am also posting here to say that I second Snorlaxe's suggestion of going Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse on your Latios, since the power difference is immense. Latios would really need a lot of support before it can clean teams with Dragon Pulse, whereas Latios can break its own holes with Draco Meteor. I might even suggest Calm Mind > Recover so that Latios may boost up before it is forced to fire off Draco Meteors - this way, Latios's Special Attack is still largely usable even after the special falls. If you find Latios not really making the most out of Recover, I suggest trying Calm Mind out.

truedrew

Banned deucer.
hey there Chillarmy nice team you have there . You seem to have a lot of the threats covered but there seems to be a gaping weakness to the Volt-Turn combo . to fix this try a specially defensive Gastrodon over you're bronzong. although it Can't take physical hits it serves as a check to the moth and jolteon. also if you use sassy nature it checks rain sub cm jirachi since earthquake hits it on its weaker physical side.it can also help against opposing rain stall teams and destroys scrotom cores.

Now to address the problem with dragon types you might have. Replace you're current scizor set with a defensive SD set. although it may seem useless it helps against opposing dragon type moves and since you don't use volt switch on rotom it really doesn't mess up you're team synergy that much.at +2 Scizor will be able to serve as a late game sweeper + a terrakion counter.
Sets:
Gastrodon @leftovers abillity:stormdrain
nature:sassy evs;252hp 200spdef 56attack/defense(depends on whether you want more power or physical defense)
-Earthquake
-recover
-toxic
-Ice beam/scald/surf

Scizor @leftovers/metal plate ability:technician
nature:careful evs:252hp 200spdef 28def 28attack
-swords dance
-bullet punch
-roost
-U-turn/bugbite
most of the tim you would be using bug bite but in some scenarios or if you want to bluff scarf or CB(item will be metal plate then) U-turn has its perks.
hope this helped and good luck with you're team

Alright, I've taken a fairly good amount of time and effort to test out all of the suggested changes, but there's a lot that I'm not fully convinced on changing yet.

Changing the entire utility core of this team resulted in me having a much easier time against a lot of the more common threats. Gyarados ensured that Dragonite, non-CB Haxorus, and Lucario could not run a train all over this team; Jirachi was fully capable of preventing (dumb >.<) Starmie and Jolteon from getting out of hand; and Gastrodon kept most Jolteon and a lot of VoltTurn cores in check. Alas, something was missing, and consequently, I began losing more often. Adapting to the changes that were made to this team was unhappily difficult, because I'm used to playing around any large threats, as opposed to simply checking them. Fortunately, I was able to create an entirely new playstyle, but quickly realized that the new teammates were overshadowing Crawdaunt, rather than helping show him off; I was able to play a lot more riskily and as a result, found almost no use for Crawdaunt's superb wallbreaking potential. Paralysis support did help with this team's problem with Speed, but I rarely found myself switching Crawdaunt in. Rather, I took any opportunity to switch Latios and Gastrodon in instead, due to their superior defensive capabilities. This led me to singling out Crawdaunt as the weakest link of this team, which then resulted in me looking for possible replacements, which led to... you understand the dilemma by now. Replacing half of my team gave birth to a domino-effect, so to speak, triggering multiple changes to not only the suggestions I'd gotten, but the concept behind this team itself. Moreover, having used Crawdaunt in OU prior to the making of this particular team (testing and whatnot), I'd tried paralysis support out in the past as well -- it wasn't really that useful in aiding Crawdaunt.

Crawdaunt's problem isn't its middling Speed stat, but rather its lack of bulk. 209 Speed is more than enough to outpace and mow down most, if not all of the major defensive Pokemon in OU. If Crawdaunt had something along the lines of 80/80/60 defenses, it would be able to risk making a wrong prediction more often, albeit not as often as say... Scizor. I never really liked using paralysis as a method of helping slower Pokemon sweep, as I hardly ever face an opponent unlucky or dumb enough to let their faster Pokemon become nearly useless. Instead, slower Pokemon such as Nattorei and Gastrodon, Pokemon with Natural Cure or Poison Heal, and death fodder are the usual recipients for paralysis -- and let's not forget how easily telegraphed Thunder (Wave) is (Politoed + Gyarados tanking physical hits better than usual). Trick Room is only used as a last resort against, not necessarily more offensive, but faster teams that can be easily torn apart by Water- or Dark-type STAB with relative ease. In a recent case, I had to resort to using Trick Room against a committed Baton Pass team, which turned out pretty well, thankfully. Granted, the changes that were proposed were very useful to tackling certain threats that I give an open chance to set up, but it just felt as if I had to change the entire team because of them.

Smaller changes, such as HP Grass on Politoed, Draco Meteor on Latios, and replacing Scizor were very beneficial to this team. Right now, I'm still indecisive on which Pokemon to use. Terrakion offers a much, MUCH more reliable method of revenge killing most Dragon Dancers, as well as non-Bullet Punch Lucario, but Landorus boasts a much faster U-turn and immunity to Electric-type attacks. I'll edit the OP and descriptions with several changes, soon. Thanks for the rates, everyone!

This doesn't mean that I'm completely closing myself off from any suggestions, however. I'm still trying out the suggestions made in this thread, and will try out anything else suggested so please keep them coming!

EDIT: I didn't try using Heatran for an extended period of time, because it's just weak and silly on rain. Heatran also made me a lot more weak to Virizion and NP + Earth Power Celebi, which was something I'd overlooked when attempting to try it out. While Heatran does mold well with an "Inverted World" theme, it just wasn't enough to fix my problems. I'd denied shifting the Defense EVs on Rotom-W to Special Attack because there just wasn't much use for OHKOing a Scizor that I should've burnt instead (Specially defensive variants become 'lol' weak when burned), but now I'm starting to see how the extra power could be useful. I'm not really comfortable with Rotom being vulnerable to Mamoswine and Landorus, but will soon try the spread you'd recommended, San Pellegrino.

Pocket

Chillarmy - Crawdaunt's problem isn't its middling Speed stat, but rather its lack of bulk. 209 Speed is more than enough to outpace and mow down most, if not all of the major defensive Pokemon in OU. If Crawdaunt had something along the lines of 80/80/60 defenses, it would be able to risk making a wrong prediction more often, albeit not as often as say... Scizor. I never really liked using paralysis as a method of helping slower Pokemon sweep, as I hardly ever face an opponent unlucky or dumb enough to let their faster Pokemon become nearly useless. Instead, slower Pokemon such as Nattorei and Gastrodon, Pokemon with Natural Cure or Poison Heal, and death fodder are the usual recipients for paralysis -- and let's not forget how easily telegraphed Thunder (Wave) is (Politoed + Gyarados tanking physical hits better than usual). Trick Room is only used as a last resort against, not necessarily more offensive, but faster teams that can be easily torn apart by Water- or Dark-type STAB with relative ease. In a recent case, I had to resort to using Trick Room against a committed Baton Pass team, which turned out pretty well, thankfully. Granted, the changes that were proposed were very useful to tackling certain threats that I give an open chance to set up, but it just felt as if I had to change the entire team because of them.
There's nothing much you can do about Crawdaunt's frailty, atm, imo. You can add Reflect on Jirachi / Bronzong, but I feel that Reflect would be wasted on a Pokemon that would be forced out the next turn anyways. Dragon Dance on Crawdaunt would make Dual Screen support more productive.

As for other Pokemon stealing the spot-light from Crawdaunt... are you telling me that LO Latios and SpecsToed haven't already stolen Crawdaunt's thunder before the changes? Your other 2 Sweepers are just that much more bulkier and / or faster to be a more reliable offense. If you want CB Crawdaunt to work, you want heavy paralysis support or add another Trick Room Pokemon.

Thank you for your thoughtful response; your feedback was very valuable, which is why I need to respond to you. You do bring up a valid point that I should've realized sooner - Ferrothorn and Gastrodon / Jellicent annoy the Gyarados - Jirachi - Gastrodon core (not that the former defensive core handled them well, either :x). Gliscor walls Jirachi, but Gyarados and pretty much everything else on your team decimates it.

What do you think of Bulk Up Breloom > Specs Gastrodon? First of all, it handles Ferrothorn and Water Absorbers that gives this team trouble with relative ease. Thanks to its Grass-typing, Poison Heal and heavy special defense investment, it can shrug off Scalds, T-Wave, and Leech Seed while it proceeds to bulk up. It doesn't handle Volt-Turn and CMJirachi as well as Gastrodon, but it's a decent one that lets you deal with Ferrothorn and bulky Waters. Breloom should also have no problems tanking hits from Jolteon, too.

By dealing with Ferrothorn + bulky Water-types, it enhances Gyarados and Jirachi's job in providing paralysis support. Even more, Breloom's Spore allows your frail Crawdaunt to come in play unhindered every time the sleeping mon comes out :d.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 212 SDef / 60 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Spore
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

Celebi may be annoying to this core, but not to the same degree as Ferrothorn and Gastrodon. Celebi shouldn't be able to hurt Breloom without Psychic anyways, and you always have Jirachi, Latios, and Crawdaunt (if Celebi's paralyzed) to fall back on.

With the loss of SpecsGastrodon, you may want to revert ScarfToed to Specs. You should also remove Hypnosis on it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you would give my core a second chance, since I was convinced that it would help facilitate your offensive core while patching up threats. However, if you are really unhappy with the changes, I do have some minor changes you could make to your team.

First of all, change your Scizor to Choice Band. Scizor needs its strong Bullet Punch to effectively deal with Haxorus. Furthermore, replace Pursuit for Quick Attack. CB Technician-boosted Quick Attack hits really hard, and it will allow you to finish off Jolteon and Volcarona.

For reference:
Quick Attack against Jolteon: 59-70%
Quick Attack against offensive Volcarona: 49-58%

I would also keep Jirachi over Bronzong, because it provides a solid check against Psychic and Ghost-type Pokemon that Scizor used to check for your team with Pursuit. If you really want that Trick Room, you can change Jirachi's set to Iron Head - Wish - Trick Room - Stealth Rock / U-turn / Thunder.

Rotom-W can also pack Hidden Power Grass over Pain Split. After burn damage, HP Grass can 2HKO Gastrodon with some residual damage (HP Grass does 40-47%), allowing your SpecsToed and Crawdaunt to truly abuse their firepower. Wish support from Rotom-W should somewhat compensate for the lack of recovery move. Just like Gyarados, Rotom-W's defensive capabilities complements well with Jirachi, making it easy to receive Wishes. You should give Thunder a look. It's dependent on Rain being up, but the 30% paralysis and the significant power upgrade is too much to pass up, imo. Virizion, Latias, etc would find themselves crippled when they get paralyzed on the switch-in :d

Thanks, again, for your feedback. I hope I was able to help you this time :x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)