Parasect Discussion

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/047.shtml

I've always loved Parasect (How can you not like a giant mushroom crab... thing?) but he's never been particularly great, especially with a not-so-great typing of Bug/Grass.

Stats: 60 HP/95 Attack/80 Defense/60 Sp Attack/80 Sp Defense/30 Speed/405 Total

Abilities:
-Effect Spore gives Parasect a 10% chance to Poison/Paralyze/Sleep enemies when they use a contact move.
-Dry Skin gives Parasect a further weakness to Fire (8x weakness XD) and makes him take damage in sun; but he can gain HP by taking Water attacks and recovers HP in rain.

Dry Skin would be preferable, since Parasect was already getting OHKOed by most Fire type moves anyway, and the water immunity plus healing is nice.

Notable Physical Movepool (STAB bolded)
Aerial Ace
Brick Break
Bug Bite
Counter
Cross Poison
Dig
Facade
Flail
Giga Impact
Return/Frustration
Slash
X-Scissor

Not horrible; not great. No physical Grass STAB for Parasect.

Notable Special Movepool (STAB bolded)
Energy Ball
Giga Drain
Grass Knot
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Psybeam
Sludge Bomb
Solarbeam

Not that great, really. No special Bug STAB either.

Notable Support Movepool
Aromatherapy
Captivate
Double Team
Endure
Light Screen
Protect
Rest
Screech
Sleep Talk
Spore
Stun Spore
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Swords Dance
Toxic

This is where Parasect shines. He's got lots of supporting options.

Team Supporter
Parasect @ Leftovers
Dry Skin
Impish/Careful Nature (+Def/SDef, -SAtk)
252 Def/252 SDef/4 HP
Spore
Light Screen
X-Scissor
Aromatherapy/Stun Spore/Toxic/Filler

Fairly straightforward; Spore and Light Screen are Parasect's main ways to support the team. X-Scissor gives you something to attack with.

The last move is a bit of a tossup. If you want Parasect to act as an Aromatherapist, he can do that. If you want a second status, that's also an option. If neither appeal to you... then just pick something else.

Sweeper
Parasect @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Dry Skin
Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
252 Atk/128 Def/128 SDef
Swords Dance
X-Scissor
Cross Poison/Return/Brick Break
Cross Poison/Return/Brick Break

Parasect doesn't survive very well, so this is more of a novelty really.

Swords Dance boosts your offense. X-Scissor for STAB. The last two moves depend on what kind of type coverage you want.

Annoyer
Parasect @ Leftovers/Brightpowder
Dry Skin
Impish/Careful Nature (+Def/SDef, -SAtk)
252 Def/252 SDef/4 HP
Spore/Toxic/Stun Spore
Double Team
Light Screen
X-Scissor

Once you set up, it's incredibly annoying to try to kill you. Granted, Parasect is likely to die before setting up, making this a bit of a novelty as well.

You have your choice of status. Double Team (and Brightpowder if you use it) make Parasect difficult to hit, and Light Screen makes him more survivable. X-Scissor so you can actually kill stuff, although if you want to just Toxic stuff to death, you can always use Swagger instead.

Focus Sash
Parasect @ Focus Sash
Dry Skin
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
Spore
Pursuit
X-Scissor
Cross Poison/Swords Dance/Toxic/Aromatherapy/Dig/Flail/Rest/Counter

The idea is that Parasect starts with Spore, and if it's hit first, Focus Sash saves it. The foe is now asleep - expect them to switch out. Time for Pursuit. This applies unless X-scissor would be more effective as the starting move (say, against Grass/Psychic, or Dark type moves are useless against the pokemon).

There are a number of options for the fourth move. Cross Poison has a high chance of a critical hit and may poison the pokemon. Swords Dance is useful if you get a chance to use it, to power up its moves. Toxic is an obvious option, while Aromatherapy is a good way to use Parasect as a later-game pokemon. Dig is for countering fire types, mostly. Flail makes use of the 1HP left over after Focus Sash, and Rest can heal Parasect completely after having been hit for nearly OHKO. Counter is useful for certain pokemon, most notably Tyranitar. I'd go with Aromatherapy, Flail, or Cross Poison, but all of those moves are potentially decent. I suppose Bug Bite could be an option, too, in case the opponent has a Salac, Liechi, or Sitrus Berry, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Dry skin is essentially required, otherwise there is a chance that the foe will be given Poison or Paralysis before you get to Spore it.

In the case of being faced with a Tyranitar without Counter, best idea is to use X-Scissor to get in some damage before dying, or Spore it and try to predict what they'll bring out in place of it (since you're going to have to choose a pokemon to replace Parasect).

Anyways, with mediocre stats and a bad typing, Parasect isn't that great of a pokemon, but he's always fun, and makes a decent supporter.

This is the first time I've ever done a discussion thread, so hopefully I didn't screw up horribly.

8x weakness to fire is lol...

Trainer A Sent out level 100 Parasect
Trainer B sent out LV 50 Growlithe
LV50 Growlithe Used Ember
It's SUper effective
Parasect Fainted.
Growlithe grew to LV53.

I can see that happening.

Anyway, In NU it should stick to support. The Sweeper set is hampered by all the fast NU flying types (Pidgeot,Fearow (soon),Murkrow, and others) and well...Magcargo

Aromatherapy/Spore/Light Screen/X-Sciscor would be the best option. Max Out HP and DEF, give an Impish nature...

Parasect has a great supporting role on Rain Dance teams in Double Battles. There it can be healed by Surf from its allies while doing its thing with its long-awaited X-Scissor. It's about time it had something to take advantage of its best stat, Attack.

For maximum staying power, put all the EVs you can into HP. This will optimize Parasect's defensibility.

Personally, I think that Parasect is just screaming for a Focus Sash set...

Adamant Parasect @ Focus Sash (and Dry Skin)
252 Att, 252 Spe
Spore
Pursuit
X-Scissor
Cross Poison/Swords Dance/Toxic/Aromatherapy/Dig/Flail/Rest/Counter

The idea is that Parasect starts with Spore, and if it's hit first, Focus Sash saves it. The foe is now asleep - expect them to switch out. Time for Pursuit. This applies unless X-scissor would be more effective as the starting move (say, against Grass/Psychic, or Dark type moves are useless against the pokemon).

There are a number of options for the fourth move. Cross Poison has a high chance of a critical hit and may poison the pokemon. Swords Dance is useful if you get a chance to use it, to power up its moves. Toxic is an obvious option, while Aromatherapy is a good way to use Parasect as a later-game pokemon. Dig is for countering fire types, mostly. Flail makes use of the 1HP left over after Focus Sash, and Rest can heal Parasect completely after having been hit for nearly OHKO. Counter is useful for certain pokemon, most notably Tyranitar. I'd go with Aromatherapy, Flail, or Cross Poison, but all of those moves are potentially decent. I suppose Bug Bite could be an option, too, in case the opponent has a Salac, Liechi, or Sitrus Berry, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Dry skin is essentially required, otherwise there is a chance that the foe will be given Poison or Paralysis before you get to Spore it.

In the case of being faced with a Tyranitar without Counter, best idea is to use X-Scissor to get in some damage before dying, or Spore it and try to predict what they'll bring out in place of it (since you're going to have to choose a pokemon to replace Parasect).

This thing screams for Focus Sash + Mirror Coat, it's the only thing it has going for it at a whopping 30 base speed. Eats HP Fires/Flamethrowers/Embers (lol), and Mirror Coat it ftw.

But on the other hand, given its base 60 HP, it's not quite a good idea after all. Parasect is really in a world and tier of its own...

Unfortunately, Parasect doesn't get Rain Dance. Would've worked perfectly with Dry Skin.

Aielyn, would you mind if I added your Focus Sash set to the first post?

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
no its more like a 4.5x weakness since dry skin pokemon take only 50% more damage from fire attacks i think

eather way parasect offically dies to fire spin now XD
If it takes 50% more from fire attacks, that makes it 6x weak to fire.

Unfortunately, Parasect doesn't get Rain Dance. Would've worked perfectly with Dry Skin.

Aielyn, would you mind if I added your Focus Sash set to the first post?
No problem. Go right ahead.

Oh, and I honestly didn't notice that Parasect doesn't get Rain Dance. I just assumed it would, since most pokemon get it.

How about Choice Scarf + Spore? It does get Spore, so it can 100% sleep something, Choice Scarf @ 252 Atk/252 SAtk makes it able to hit too.

Something like:

Parasect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk/252 Atk/6 Spd
Nature: Naive (Spd+/SDef-)
- Spore
- Energy Ball
- X-Scissor
- Brick Break/Aerial Ace

Fast spore is Smeargle's specialty, not any more. Parasect can do it in UU/NU (where Smeargle is banned).

In a Trick Room team, it should be noted that Parasect has the "fastest" (>_>) Spore in the game, which is cool.
Could also get in a quick Aromatherapy if your team needed it then it can boot off or something..

Spore/Swords Dance/X-Scissor/Brick Break could work out okay in a Trick Room team too.
Only thing is, it wastes too much time setting up. >_>

Trick Room support could make Parasect pretty darn annoying. But yeah, he's still too fragile to do much. Parasect needs Rain Dance support if he wants a chance of surviving Fire attacks with Dry Skin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)