Announcement Part of the journey is the end

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have had this line in my signature for an incredibly long time, probably since 2018 or 19, and now we've finally reached that point.

As of this post, Zap and I are officially stepping down from our positions as Monotype Tier Leaders (and from the council).

It's hard to believe I've only had this role for ~2 years since it definitely feels much longer. When Decem came to me back then asking to take his position, I was in a difficult spot. I was already falling out of love with the game, the site and was thinking of stepping away. I'm sure some people like to think I was hungry for the power that came with it, but I genuinely did not want to take on the burden. However, I knew that there were hardly any suitable options at the time, and they would not want it anyways, and those that might say yes just weren't ready for it. While some may think I don't care, I really really do care about the tier and community a lot and I couldn't bare to just leave it hanging. I had a lot of ideas at the time for things I would like to do and want to see, and while I did do some of them, or tried hard for others, which may not be obvious to some; the mindset of being done with the game and essentially running things alone (no offence Zap) definitely dragged me down. For a long time doing anything PS related felt like work instead of something I did out of passion like before.

This isn't a goodbye forever; you will definitely see me around on PS when DLCs drops, to play broken cup or battle factory when it drops, etc... and there might be something I am interested in playing later this year. Nonetheless, it is essentially is that goodbye since I cannot see myself be heavily involved in any capacity anymore. While the previous paragraph may make it seem like I just hated the last 2 years, that isn't fair. I felt proud to lead the tier during this time and to see a lot of new, upcoming members of the community that give me hopes for the future and give me the ease of heart to step away. While my passion for the game died a long time ago, the memories of those early days when things weren't as serious but I was so motivated, the fun games and conversations and most importantly the friends I made, are all things I will cherish. I definitely miss the simpler days of being a new guy, not even staff or just a voice/driver, and being really excited about Pokemon and just interacting with others.

My advice to any of the new generation members of the community is hold onto and appreciate that passion you have now. Make the best of this time, surround yourself with good friends and don't let some of the assholes on this site ruin your experience. One of the biggest drain in my around 7 years on this site has been people being antagonistic for the sake of it, and engaging with them. It can be frustrating dealing with that, but it's important to remember they are just some idiots behind a screen and ignore them. When you quit, they will literally become nobody to you so its not worth the time. Another important advice is to remember this is a game, a pass time, NEVER take it as seriously as some people often do, win or lose, don't waste time arguing and definitely do not compromise irl over it. I've preserved my sanity for so long by keeping that distinction that this does not impact my life in any way and always treating it like my last priority. Love the game, but don't live it.

Our replacements for TL will be DugZa, Floss and maroon. My only regret when it comes to this site (besides sticking around for so long), will be that I did not get to accomplish some of my original plans, but I am leaving with a clear conscience by putting this trio in charge. I am very confident the three of them will lead the tier in a great direction with all the plans they have already talked to me about, and those they have already put into motion. I look forward to hearing about the positive changes you bring. I am also particularly thankful to Dugza and Floss for FINALLY accepting to take it from me after I've been asking for well over a year now.

It definitely feels weird finally leaving, despite not being passionate and feeling very happy to be done, there's a gnawing feeling inside that makes it feel not right; it feels like there's still things left to be done. Nonetheless, it really is time to part ways. I've tried to reignite that passion so many times despite being trying to quit for multiple years. Seeing Dugza and Floss' passion for the game, like watching them prep for Grand Slam last year or seeing Attribute talk about games and builds with them gaslight me a few times over the last years into getting excited temporarily; but that feeling just could't last. I'd always get hyped up for a few weeks and then just completely die out. How fast my excitement died at a new gen, and its non-existence towards Home was proof that it really is time to leave. Originally, only Zap would've left first and I would've helped the new TLs transition before leaving by end of year but I don't see the point of sticking around with no interest.

Anyways, this is probably the longest and most ramble-y goodbye post ever, but with this I say goodbye. Wishing the best to the community, I hope that during my check ins I hear great things and that the community continues to move in a positive direction. Remember to have some self-respect and respect for others in the community and the tier itself, and to not allow those that do not respect that to ruin our spaces. Good luck to my replacements, the job I am giving you is absolutely a burden and please do not let it burn you out. It is definitely a target and people will shift blame to you for things that are not your sole responsibility instead of thinking logically.

With that, it's been a pleasure. Thank you to all the friends I made over the years, those I talk to regularly and those that I drifted apart from over time - it is you all that kept me here for so long and made this an overall positive experience. I don't want to single people out since that would just double this thread in length with shoutouts, but my genuine friends know who they are. I also want to give a big shoutout to the Monotype staff - full of so many great, nice and motivated people who I would have not survived in this role without. Your support over the years was crucial, and I know you will continue to do great things. And for those that don't like me, try not to think of me too much while I'm gone.

Goodbye, thanks for everything and good luck !

Last edited:
I have had this line in my signature for an incredibly long time, probably since 2018 or 19, and now we've finally reached that point.

As of this post, Zap and I are officially stepping down from our positions as Monotype Tier Leaders (and from the council).

It's hard to believe I've only had this role for ~2 years since it definitely feels much longer. When Decem came to me back then asking to take his position, I was in a difficult spot. I was already falling out of love with the game, the site and was thinking of stepping away. I'm sure some people like to think I was hungry for the power that came with it, but I genuinely did not want to take on the burden. However, I knew that there were hardly any suitable options at the time, and they would not want it anyways, and those that might say yes just weren't ready for it. While some may think I don't care, I really really do care about the tier and community a lot and I couldn't bare to just leave it hanging. I had a lot of ideas at the time for things I would like to do and want to see, and while I did do some of them, or tried hard for others, which may not be obvious to some; the mindset of being done with the game and essentially running things alone (no offence Zap) definitely dragged me down. For a long time doing anything PS related felt like work instead of something I did out of passion like before.

This isn't a goodbye forever; you will definitely see me around on PS when DLCs drops, to play broken cup or battle factory when it drops, etc... and there might be something I am interested in playing later this year. Nonetheless, it is essentially is that goodbye since I cannot see myself be heavily involved in any capacity anymore. While the previous paragraph may make it seem like I just hated the last 2 years, that isn't fair. I felt proud to lead the tier during this time and to see a lot of new, upcoming members of the community that give me hopes for the future and give me the ease of heart to step away. While my passion for the game died a long time ago, the memories of those early days when things weren't as serious but I was so motivated, the fun games and conversations and most importantly the friends I made, are all things I will cherish. I definitely miss the simpler days of being a new guy, not even staff or just a voice/driver, and being really excited about Pokemon and just interacting with others.

My advice to any of the new generation members of the community is hold onto and appreciate that passion you have now. Make the best of this time, surround yourself with good friends and don't let some of the assholes on this site ruin your experience. One of the biggest drain in my around 7 years on this site has been people being antagonistic for the sake of it, and engaging with them. It can be frustrating dealing with that, but it's important to remember they are just some idiots behind a screen and ignore them. When you quit, they will literally become nobody to you so its not worth the time. Another important advice is to remember this is a game, a pass time, NEVER take it as seriously as some people often do, win or lose, don't waste time arguing and definitely do not compromise irl over it. I've preserved my sanity for so long by keeping that distinction that this does not impact my life in any way and always treating it like my last priority. Love the game, but don't live it.

Our replacements for TL will be DugZa, Floss and maroon. My only regret when it comes to this site (besides sticking around for so long), will be that I did not get to accomplish some of my original plans, but I am leaving with a clear conscience by putting this trio in charge. I am very confident the three of them will lead the tier in a great direction with all the plans they have already talked to me about, and those they have already put into motion. I look forward to hearing about the positive changes you bring. I am also particularly thankful to Dugza and Floss for FINALLY accepting to take it from me after I've been asking for well over a year now.

It definitely feels weird finally leaving, despite not being passionate and feeling very happy to be done, there's a gnawing feeling inside that makes it feel not right; it feels like there's still things left to be done. Nonetheless, it really is time to part ways. I've tried to reignite that passion so many times despite being trying to quit for multiple years. Seeing Dugza and Floss' passion for the game, like watching them prep for Grand Slam last year or seeing Attribute talk about games and builds with them gaslight me a few times over the last years into getting excited temporarily; but that feeling just could't last. I'd always get hyped up for a few weeks and then just completely die out. How fast my excitement died at a new gen, and its non-existence towards Home was proof that it really is time to leave. Originally, only Zap would've left first and I would've helped the new TLs transition before leaving by end of year but I don't see the point of sticking around with no interest.

Anyways, this is probably the longest and most ramble-y goodbye post ever, but with this I say goodbye. Wishing the best to the community, I hope that during my check ins I hear great things and that the community continues to move in a positive direction. Remember to have some self-respect and respect for others in the community and the tier itself, and to not allow those that do not respect that to ruin our spaces. Good luck to my replacements, the job I am giving you is absolutely a burden and please do not let it burn you out. It is definitely a target and people will shift blame to you for things that are not your sole responsibility instead of thinking logically.

With that, it's been a pleasure. Thank you to all the friends I made over the years, those I talk to regularly and those that I drifted apart from over time - it is you all that kept me here for so long and made this an overall positive experience. I don't want to single people out since that would just double this thread in length with shoutouts, but my genuine friends know who they are. I also want to give a big shoutout to the Monotype staff - full of so many great, nice and motivated people who I would have not survived in this role without. Your support over the years was crucial, and I know you will continue to do great things. And for those that don't like me, try not to think of me too much while I'm gone.

Goodbye, thanks for everything and good luck !
Best of luck to you as well my friend! Stay safe! :)

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
We beefed a lot back in the day for basically no reason (my own fault), but no one can deny Mono has thrived in the past years following the retirement of most of the old guard. I said a lot of regrettable things that I’ve learned are meaningless as everybody has grown older and matured. Good luck with everything.

Hope to see the Monotype community continue their passion and for new players to get into it as well, gl to the new TLs

best of luck man! this will mean very little to you but you were one of the first opponents I had in tour on this site and I will always remember that and appreciate what you've done for the community and the tier. Your insight and reflection within the post was very appreciated as well and a great read.

Kev before you retire ban user Azick from mono room ty

Nah seriously talkin, even if I use to meme council and mono a lot, is undoubtedly that you guys put effort in the tier like on organizing tours, events, tiering and so on, specially considering you do it all for free, so props on that and good luck on future endeavours.

Grats on TL to maroon, floss and guzda too.

Floss

never forgotten
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Leader
Thanks to the both of you for all the hard work you've put in for the tier over the last couple of years. Kev we didn't start off on a great note, but over the last two years you were one of the most reliable friends on this site for me (once a Panda, always a Panda), and it was great getting to know you. Really wish we could have won a ring together in one of the recent tours we played, but it wasn't meant to be. I hope that you'll stay around, there aren't many people who I can discuss Shonen manga with weekly, and our discussions on JJK are always thought-provoking. Zap I haven't gotten to know you as well as Kev, but I felt that you were always one of the stronger players in Monotype, and your skill at Randbats is a testament to that. Hope we can play Brawl Stars again soon, as long as you don't use Ash (no offense). I wish you guys the best in your future aspirations, both on and off the site.

I feel old bruh. Thank you for all the hard work you've guys done. I use to be a mono chat scrub who used to spam dragon and then became a flying simp. I probably annoyed you and everyone about flying in mono chat at least once, but damn time continues on. I didn't talk to you all that much, but you did so much for this community that I am so many are part of. Life so weird people across the world can leave a lasting impact on each other just because a game of Pokemon on a site. Adios eye of the tiger don't let the bed bug bites... I ran out of famous quotes... live life to the fullest.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From my perspective as an outsider, Monotype has grown significantly since I quit, likely due to your efforts. I 100% sympathize with falling out of love and not enjoying the game. As I had a similar experience, I logged on only as an obligation, not because I enjoyed myself. I wish you the best and best of luck for the new tier leaders in overcoming any unique challenges they will face. If the new tier leaders needs anything, I'm always happy to provide any insight, even if it may not be right away. Again, congrats to the new tier leaders, and enjoy retirement!

Can't believe I've gotten to witness you evolve from your first steps in Mono back in the day to your retirement. Thanks for that you've done. Cheers to retirement!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)