ORAS OU Peaked at 1650 (sticky web offense)

This team had great success and the only reason it didn't go higher than 1650 is probably because I'm not exactly a super star at laddering. Some great unexpected sets here to catch people off guard and plow through the strongest of stall teams that are filling up the current metagame and generally annoying most people. really fun team to use that is worth a try.

upload_2016-5-31_16-10-6.png

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Thunder Wave/energy ball

Apart from being a great lead galvantula is just a really cool pokemon, one of my favourites in fact, and his speed and special attack make him the best sticky web user. if you want to you can use shuckle but shuckle doesn't do much after that and loses to pretty much everything. with thunder and its nasty paralysis chance you can beat mega sableye and espeon with bug buzz (the best magic bouncers). energy ball is for quagsire if it gives you trouble but i prefer thunder wave. energy ball can also hit mega diancie but it beats galvantula pretty easily anyway.

upload_2016-5-31_16-8-25.png

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Yawn/toxic

Hippowdon is a great physical wall and sand setter, i chose him over tyranitar because i didn't need more offence, and this guy is better for a defensive role with slack off and better typing. ice fang it a good move to hit Landorus-t with who you otherwise cant touch, and it also hits gliscor, garchomp etc. yawn is also an odd move choice that i like over toxic and found it worked better, especially against setup sweepers, but yawn isn't for everyone so toxic is fine too.

upload_2016-5-31_16-22-11.png

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

here is probably the ultimate surprise factor, as everyone is going to expect mage alakazam over garchomp, but with sand force his earthquake hits extremely hard and batters asside the sturdiest of walls. the main reason people don't like him is because he loses his best asset when he mega evolves: speed, but sticky web puts you ahead of everyone else. Stone edge makes me cry when it misses but it is the only way to hit talonflame and does a ton of damage to togekiss and zapdos too, again boosted by sand force. here are some important calcs:

252 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sand: 345-406 (53.7 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

4 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 168-198 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 248-292 (74.2 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Zapdos in Sand: 298-352 (77.8 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Landorus-T: 205-243 (53.6 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(this requires you to avoid intimidate though)

upload_2016-5-31_16-33-4.png

Alakazam @ Life Orb/focus sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

the only outstanding thing about this set is taunt, which is great against things like chansey who can wall you but only really paralyse you or set up hazards back. focus sash and life orb are both great items with magic guard and the opponent will probably expect life orb so a sash can be a great surprise factor.

upload_2016-5-31_16-37-0.png

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Power-Up Punch/low kick/pursuit

The best defog blocker out there, bisharp is great at switching in on things like latios and zapdos and getting boosts. if you run pursuit over power up punch, then you should probably have a bit more bulk than speed, but power up punch is nice when the opponent is almost dead, and you'll outspeed most things with sticky web and a jolly nature. low kick is a ohko on tyranitar and other bisharp but it doesnt boost your attack.

upload_2016-5-31_16-42-10.png

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 144 HP / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Sludge Bomb

This gengar set is pretty underrated, but it can screw the opponent if they don't know what set you have, so try not to reveal it too early. Substituting on things like bisharp and burning them can ruin them for the rest of the match. this also works on walls that rely on status. The evs mean clefable cant break your sub with moonblast and you're still at the 350 speed benchmark.

This team has a bit of trouble with weavile if sticky web isn't up, and its best to watch out for banded azumarill too. it also has no hazard removal which sounds pretty bad but it doesn't seem to trouble this team as much as it should. this next point sounds like a useless and rare scenario too, but i have been pp stalled by a team with only pressure pokemon (suicune, duskclops, zapdos etc.) and pokemon that you cant 2hko in these situations make battling a nightmare. lastly, try to avoid letting pokemon get burnt. just switch into alakazam or failing that and you have no other option, hippowdon. bisharp and garchomp are completely useless if they are burnt.

Wow, this is a really solid team. Sticky web teams are rare, and scary if unprepared for. I really can't think of anything to improve this team. I would suggest the addition of Sand Rush Excadrill because he wrecks, but I don't know where you would put him, and he is kind of redundant on a sticky web team. Though, he would patch up your Weavile weakness.
Another way you could Potentially deal with Weavile is to Scarf your Gengar. I used to use the HexWisp set, and while it is fun, I think it is quite hard to set up as well as unreliable. A set like this could do the "trick" lol.
Gengar
@ Choice Scarf
Levitate
Timid
252 SpA/ 4 SpD/252 Spe
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave/Thunderbolt
Focus Blast/Dazzling Gleam/Icy Wind
Trick

All this really does for you is get rid of your Weavile weakness and allow you better to run Encore on Alakazam, which I actually recommend, as it completely ends any Calm Mind WinCon somebody might have had on you. Specifically, Mega Slowbro can sweep this whole team if he can get two CM's up. Even if he is taunted, he can punch some big holes, because he is hard to kill at +2. Encore on Zam locks him into Calm Mind and leaves him open to Bisharp or Garchomp. However, taunt will also limit him and many other calm Mind sweepers, so it's not by any means a deal breaker.
Also, I think that Stealth Rock on Hippowdon is a much greater utility than Yawn/Toxic, especially with how hard it is to get hazards off the field with this team. Rocks also hurt Weaviles ability to switch in and out on you and cause problems.
Other than that, I don't think your team has anything horribly wrong with it. Your weakness to mega bro isn't that bad, because he is uncommon and you can play around him, and your weakness to Weavile can also be played around via SashZam/Sticky Web. Anyway, awesome team. I really like it, I think it's well built and I believe you will go pretty far with it. Enter it in a tourney or something. Good luck, and I hope I could help!

Last edited:
sweet thanks for the feedback, its probably a good idea to give gengar a scarf, because weavile is really common. I actually also forgot to add an important point. Contrary pokemon and defiant pokemon are pretty scary if they switch in on sticky web so its usually best to just fire off some attacks or paralyse the opponent with galvantula if the person has one of these pokemon instead of setting up webs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)