Role Playing Philosopher's Stone War V - Postgame

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
And after a few days of quick shenanigans

Knight, Perseus, has died. (FormerHope)
Monk, Gilgamesh and Enkidu, have died. (Jumpluff)

Rider, The Dullahan, has won! (Lightwolf)

Jumpluff had the following in character parting words:
Weak and battered, charred and bleeding, gritting their teeth from the pain of their wounds, yet still unbent, Gilgamesh and Enkidu extended their hands to their summoner, almost a plea but for pride.

'Let them write epics of that, too,' Gilgamesh declared. 'Of death sentences averted, and friends wrought in blood.'

'One day, he will learn the futility of quests for immortality,' Enkidu joked wearily. 'But you brought us from the underworld to fight again together, and as you remember us, we remember you.'

Kedaar trembled.

'You never told us,' said the wild man. 'What was the wish that you fought this war for?'

And the boy broke into sardonic laughter. 'Because I didn't have one after all. Maybe that's why I lost. Is a wish willpower? This is glory to wish for in itself.'

The king sighed. 'Loss, a bitter turn. Would that ancient Sumer could have risen again in the riverbeds whence we came.'

Chided Enkidu, 'We defied the omen of death in my dreams, and kept our heads; part of your wall still lives, and now these Englishmen have seen the enduring works of Uruk. Weep, but do not mourn your loss, or my return to the river. As well mourn the loss of the skin of the snake that would have kept you from this destiny. It is to the rest to mourn.'

'And to me, I think,' Kedaar said quietly.

'And to you, friend. The blessings of Shamash and Ninsun will follow you,' decreed Gilgamesh, and on the word 'friend', Kedaar smiled sadly and took the proffered hands; then, mercifully, his dagger stuck true each time.
Postgame later.

at least i made a cool character
you have no idea how close it came to winning either, even piloted by a quite literally cognitively impaired substitute who had no idea how any of your abilities actually worked until the last fight. ty for letting me have such a fun character and ty to von for letting me sub in. also LW and FH for the good times

Last edited:

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In all fairness, we left you to die, not to win lol.

Extremely fun game, I had less combats than I hoped, but in every single one I tethered at nearly no HP, barely avoiding having to use orders, it was glorious combat. I'm kinda sad my RPS attacks ended up kinda generic minus my bucket, but during conception I had no idea I could actually make them cool! Because my Trample was also way superior to everything else I had a really no reason to use anything else, if not against monk where missing is deadly. In a future RPS styled one I'd def focus on having my RPS attacks be more flavourful and sidegrades rather than one does damage, pick that one always and cry because Caster keeps spamming Scissors.

More detailed stuff after post game when people are more aware of everyone's shit.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
POSTGAME

It still seems like most people don't remember that the first two Philosopher's Stone Wars were finished within three months. A big part of the reason that I ran PSW5 was that after 4 took two years, there was a major drop in momentum. We barely got the initial 8 sign-ups, and subs were a major factor for the first time. I thought I could revitalize PSW by being the best host again, but I dropped the ball. It was incredibly foolish to start this game as I was moving, and in the time it ran I moved a second time as well. Even during a two month period where I was jobless, I was honestly burnt out. This is why the game lasted six month and had very few encounters.

I was motivated to run this game also because I had a great deal of new design ideas for it. Some ended up being awesome. Some weren't.

PSW5 was the first game to use D&D5 as a very loose base. Champions were designed around a rock/paper/scissors mechanic. They each had three attacks with wildly different effects, and balancing which effect you wanted vs what the opponent was likely to do formed the tactical bulk of the game. This worked incredibly well. Champion's kits were tighter than ever before, and most champions absolute were gods compared to former ones. If and when someone runs a PSW6, this is absolutely a system that should return.

On the other hand, making every summoner a specialized wizard was a major misstep. Some designs were very creative and cool, but the problem was that without a full wizard's spell list the strategic depth of the game was shot. For instance, Rider was (theoretically, this was never abused) overpowered because in addition to being the only Champion who could Order spell to escape, he never needed to because he was uncatchable using chase rules. Rider was always something that people accounted for by preparing spells, only players had no leeway to really plan in this game.

Day plans were appallingly weak. This has to be partly because of this lack of strategic depth, needing to pick a large amount of spells really gets players involved. However, there was some incredibly frustrating laziness even from some veteran players. Some plans were as short as a single sentence and as vague as "I find a place to ambush a player".

Berserker
Played by Flyhn, formerly known as Pokeguy
The Lernean Hydra
HP 390
AC 20
Attack +12
Damage 6d6+1d4+20

Com 10
Ref 6
Fort 10
Will 6

Str and Con
Intimidate +10
Athletics +15
Disguise +10
Survival +10

Berserker's Rage
There are three levels of Berserker Rage that fuel his abilities and stats. Each are activated once per round by a Berserker Attack, a normal RPS attack modified by a damage bonus.

Level 1 (Berserker Attack +5 damage)
The Berserker loses the ability to speak, but deals +1d6 damage. This costs 5 mana per round to maintain.

Level 2 (Berserker Attack +10 damage)
The Berserker loses the ability to use skills, but gets +1 to hit. This costs 10 mana per round to maintain.

Level 3 (Berserker Attack +15 damage)
The Berserker loses all control, choosing attacks and targets (even the summoner) at random, but gets +1d6 damage. This still costs 10 mana per round to maintain, but costs 25 mana to end.

Lernean Poison
Certain Berserker attacks deal Lernean Poison, stacks of which do 1 damage per round in combat, or per hour out of it. This damage cannot be healed. Poison can be applied to the weapons of the summoner, spending an hour to apply up to 3 stacks. If the opponent is Fort broken, all existing and future stacks are doubled. Can have up to 5 stacks (or 10 when Fort broken).

Heads of the Hydra
When the Hydra drops to 200 HP, his attacks split in two, each dealing 3d6+1d4+10 damage. When one of these HP drops to 50 HP, he splits again, dealing 2d6+1d4+5 damage. In addition, he gains multiple bodies that are stuck together. With two bodies, each has 120 HP. With four bodies, each has 50 HP. This isn't known until Rage level 3, which four heads forces.

Wrath of the Hydra
The Hydra has a humanoid form, hidden beneath a heavy coat. As he gains Rage levels, he gains more power and becomes more obvious. Rage Level 2 gains +5 extra damage per attack, grows to 10 feet in size, and has an attack range of 10 feet. Rage Level 3 grows to 30 feet and has an attack range of 30 feet, gaining +5 damage per attack, as well as having increased health indicated by his four head form.

Paper: Snake Attack
Deals 1 Fort damage and applies 1 stack of Lernean Poison.

Scissors: Crab Claw
Deals 1 Com damage and grapples the opponent for a turn. If Com is broken, opponent is grappled until they break out.

Rock: Slam
Fist deals +10 damage.
The Lernean Hydra was a massive powerhouse. His potential damage output when his heads sprouted was almost insurmountable. You could sense that in almost every fight, Berserker might have needed to be facing two opponents to be taken down. But he chose the wrong single opponent for his first fight.

He was one of several lured to the church that Archer was camping at, and as Archer was roughly as powerful as Berserker albeit in a different manner, Flyhn's inexperience led him to make costly mistakes, such as standing around while being shot. He used one Order to close the gap to the church, and another to regrow lost heads, but Archer's snow clones, explosive flares, and kicking the massive hydra off a building ended one of the most epic fights in the game. Archer was nearly killed, but used no Order spells to win this fight.

I always imagined that the Lernean Hydra was running around dressed and acting like Nemesis, snakes wriggling under his coat.

Flyhn aka Arthur
Dragon Hunter

HP 200
AC 17
Attack +9
Damage 1d6+5

Com 4
Ref 6
Fort 4
Will 6

Dex and Cha
History +10
Acrobatics +15
Survival +10
Persuasion +15

Can scale walls in a single move action. Can use ranged weapon attacks to deliver the following spells.

Fire Bolt 4/day
Acid Arrow 2/day
Flaming Sphere 2/day
Ice Knife 2/day
Fireball 1/day
Possibly the most offensively oriented summoner, the unfortunate irony was that while he could easily climb up the church to help decide the fight, he was also 1200 feet away. The game's first twist was that while his Champion died, since he still had one Order spell he could potentially capture a Champion without a master. Summoners were in no real danger of dying at all in this game however. I asked Flyhn if he'd like to keep playing, and he said yes, but he kind of dropped out silently afterward. So when FormerHope seemed like a really promising player who was too late to sign up and had no to sub into, I just subbed him here. I listed Berserker/Flyhn first because Berserker died first, but technically this master came in third place.

Assassin
Played by acidphoenix
Eris
HP 390
AC 20
Attack +11
Damage 3d8+20

Com 6
Ref 8
Fort 8
Will 8

Con and Cha
Stealth +10
Perception +10
Deception +15
Disguise +15
Diplomacy +15
Intimidation +15
Knowledge History +10
Insight +10

Assassin's Shroud
You will never be seen while sneaking out of combat.

Assassin's Toolkit
You can increase any skill check after it is rolled by spending 5 mana per +2 to the roll.

Apple of Discord
The apple can be used to trick two known players into an adversarial relationship. This gives Eris supernatural power to deceive players to this end, with the help of the host. This costs 100 mana.

Pandora's Box
Every day starting on night 1, players are assaulted by Kakodaimones let out of Pandora's Box in the form of debuffs. The Box sits in a fixed location, and debuffs can be returned to the box by any player, who cannot be affect by the same one twice (or by more than one).
Toil (cannot rest more than a night rest)
Forgetfulness (random spells are not recovered overnight)
Lies and Falsehoods (host is dishonest with player)
Sufferings (saves are reduced by 1 each day, cannot recover them)
Fights (beacon attracts other players)
Murders (all incoming attacks deal +5 damage)
Folly (all rolls get -2)

Goddess of Strife and Competition
Eris gains 20 temporary HP whenever ANY fight happens, which disappears after 48 hours if not through injury. When Eris kills an opponent herself, she gains 50 permanent HP.

Rock: Rockaport
Rock is materialized over opponent's head. Deals 1 Fort damage and causes -2 to attack on next turn. On sneak attack, causes stun for 1 turn but cannot chain. When Fort broken, Stun becomes Paralyze.

Paper: Blinding Light
A blinding light is shot at the opponent, revealing their presence against all forms of concealment for 2 turns and dealing 1 Will damage. On sneak attack, causes blindness for 1 turn. When Will broken, blindness lasts for 1d4+1 turns.

Scissors: Dagger of Conflict
Stabs with a dagger, which causes 5 damage next turn if the opponent doesn't choose a different RPS attack. On sneak attack, one random unused Kakodaimone inhabits the target, even if they already have one.
Assassin wasn't just a champion, she was a massive event. She was one of the biggest forces stirring conflict and forging the course of the game. And I'm sorry, but she was in the hands of a very bad player for that (any newbie, perhaps). Phoenix didn't plan much and was cowardly in battle, which led to more discord than strife. Pandora's Box was never really the psw3 park battle it was intended to be as a result.

Assassin was one of the most prolific killers in the game, as the woman with the daggers running around and murdering people. Her first murder got quickly pinned on Maxim, who carried a large gun, meaning that it later got pinned on Ullar. Good times.

Eris used Apple of Discord once against Archer and Savior. I'd love to know if Agape and Ullar have those logs, because they really had no business not figuring out that they weren't fighting Assassin anymore. The Apple was also supposed to be a story in and of itself, but no, they just duked it out until Ullar had to use an Order spell to escape (putting up an intense snowstorm).

Eris died when a bunch of people tracked her down on Day 3, tired of her shit. When she actually did something really cool, order spelled to make everyone look like Assassin. This was seen through fairly quickly, but even then she almost escaped until Caster through in a long-ranged last hit, kind of with little reason to do so.

Alexander
Scroll Caster

HP 210
Ac 17
Attack +8
Damage 1d6+5

Com 4
Ref 4
Fort 6
Will 4

Con and Int
Arcana +15
History +15
Persuasion +10
Insight +10
Survival +10

Scroll Writing
Summoner can spend an hour a day writing more scrolls. Progress depends on type of scrolls worked on.

Dispel Magic 3/game
Freedom of Movement 2/game
Charm Person 5/game
Fear 7/game
Misty Step 7/game
Dimension Door 3/game
Expeditious Retreat 7/game
Fog Cloud 7/game
Greater Invis 3/game
Guardian of Faith 3/game
Arcane Gate 1/game
Seeming 1/game
Alexander was also relatively complex, but not as much as a full caster, so that doesn't excuse anything. The kit was used decently well and you could see why Eris was so hard to kill, but when it came to rewriting scrolls I always had to ask a second time WHICH ones phoenix wanted to work on.

Caster
Played by Temperantia
The Fates
HP 205
AC 19
Attack +10
Damage 3d6+20

Com 6
Ref 6
Fort 8
Will 10

Con and Wis
Insight +15
Investigation +10
Perception +15
History +10

Caster's Concentration
Your summoner can maintain up to three concentration spells.

Caster's Recall
You may recall any spell already cast this day by spending 10 mana per spell level.

The Spindle of Clothos
The Moirai are three characters with three seperate HP totals (of 205 each). They may each move per turn, but may only take one action between them. Each favors an RPS attack, which will have extra effects and +1 to hit when the specific Fate uses it. Clothos can spend eight hours and 50 mana to bring any of her sisters or her summoner back to life, though she can only bring the summoner back once.

The Measuring Rod of Lachesis
Lachesis can use her measuring rod to gain information on any location or Champion. Location information will reveal magical details about the area and the area's immediate fate. Details on champions include class and a general idea of what they do. In combat, as a bonus action Lachesis can target any number of opponents within 60 feet to deal 1 Will damage per round as their destiny is determined by her.

The Shears of Atropos
At any time, having seen a Champion, Clotho can spin their life thread (from any location). This takes eight hours to complete. Then, in view of the Champion, Lachesis must spend three rounds doing nothing but using her measuring rod to measure this thread. This does not take an action, only concentration. Finally, Atropos uses an action and 75 mana to cut the thread. This deals an amount of damage equal to half the champion's total HP. This damage is halved and they cannot be reduced below 1 HP if they are not Will broken.

Rock: String Switch
Attack with sharp string.
Switches places with any other Fate, up to 60 feet away. Clothos gains a 5 HP shield after use.

Paper: Measured Destiny
Opponent is assailed with a destiny to lose.
Causes 1 Will damage on hit, as well as -1 attack during the next round. Increases to -2 for Lechasis. If Will is broken, opponent must walk 30 feet away next round (cannot be reaction attacked by Fates or their summoner).

Scissors: Shearing Strike
Attack with pair of scissors.
Causes 1 Fort damage on hit, 2 if Atropos uses the attack. In addition, opponent's Fort is temporarily reduced by half its maximum value during the next round.

Spells
Hex (Paper) Cantrip
Spirit Guardians (Rock) 3/day
Conjure Celestial (Rock) 1/day
Scrying 2/day (on different opponents)
Opponent has to accept scrying or take damage. Will damage is 1, +1 for having met them, +1 for having a possession of theirs, +2 for having a body part.
True Seeing (Paper) 1/day
Harm (Scissors) 2/day
Finger of Death (Scissors) 1/day
Caster was very sadly wasted in this game. She probably had the best kit in the game, and as Lightwolf can attest, can gain a control victory against an opponent VERY quickly (luckily for LW, Rider is a slippery bastard). After being late to send in a day plan, Temp had one surprise skirmish with LW due to his crossroads ability. He later showed up to the big Eris fight for little reason, did the last hit against Eris, and then got rid of his Order spells to quit due to irl stuff.

Rebecca Chalmers aka Vlambert
Mirror Mage

HP 200
AC 17
Attack +8
Damage 1d6+5

Com 4
Ref 4
Fort 4
Will 6

Int and Cha
Disguise +15
Ventriloquism +15
Deception +15
Inconspicuous +15
Knowledge Arcana +15

Mirror Mage
Needs mirrors to use spells. May set up mirror as part of spell casting or use existing one. Can use any two fixed mirrors as a window or door.

Blur 3/day
Protection from Energy 3/day
Ray of Enfeeblement 3/day
Major Image 2/day
Mirror Image 2/day
Mislead 1/day
Globe of Invulnerability 1/day
Confusion 1/day
Circle of Death 1/day
Rebecca's Mirror Mage combined illusion and teleportation, two very big assets for a psw summoner. Mostly used them to run and hide early on. Again, who knows just how good this quartet could have been.

Savior
Played by Agape
Väinämöinen
HP 380
AC 19
Attack +10
Damage 3d8+1d4+20

Com 8
Ref 6
Fort 8
Will 10

Str and Cha
Spell Singing (Arcana, Perform) +15
Athletics +15
Survival +10
Perception +10
Civilization +10
Escape +10

Savior's Ressurection
Once per game, when either the Savior or their Summoner die, they will both respawn the next day.

Savior's Healing
Once per round, the Savior may spend 1 mana to gain 2 HP.

Pike's Jawbone Harp
Vainomoinen's skill with his harp gives him 1d12 bardic inspiration, 1d12 song of rest, cutting words, 2 extra skills, and +2 to all skill checks he is unskilled in. Bardic inspiration can be use once per character per fight. As a trademark standard action, costing 100 mana, Vainamoinen begins singing the opponent into the ground. As a bonus action, the opponent takes 1 Will damage and lose 10 speed for a round. When the opponent has 0 Will and 75 or less HP, they will be permanently buried in the ground.

Boat to Tuonela
Vaionomoinen can talk to dead champions and summoners by visiting the location they died. As a result of visiting champions this way, he learns their song, gaining a special ability according to the champion.

Ilmarinen's Sampo
The Sampo is an item of exceptional quality that is whatever it is needed to be at any given time. Successive use throughout the day diminished it's magical quality. Mana can be used to keep its utility fresh, costing 50 mana to keep it's power up 1 notch.

Scissors: Earth Overhead
Gain 8 HP +1 per dead champion conversed with.

Rock: Taboo Song
If opponent repeats RPS choice next turn, they will have disadvantage.

Paper: Spell Preperation
If this hits, cast any spell as a bonus spell on your next turn.

Spells
Paper: Sanctuary 3/day
Paper: Wall of Water 2/day
Rock: Maelstrom 2/day
Rock: Stoneskin 3/day
Scissors: Irresistable Dance 2/day
Paper: Misty Step 1/day
Paper: Heal 1/day
Legend Lore 1/day
Skywrite 1/day
Agape was the first person to tussle with Archer, infuriating him and making him waste an order spell due to jet snow-skis! And he wouldn't be the last, since his summoner threw up a Skywrite telling everyone about Archer.

Savior was a character who was supposed to gain power over time, but only ever learned Berserker's Song (can't cast spells, but gains +15/+10/+5 damage over three turns). He played fairly legit for a while, but then suddenly decided to blow up the college far north of Amesbury that he was inhabiting. Which is so very Agape. Anyway, this drew the attention of Knight, who got Archer to tag along with him, and they both went and killed Savior fairly flawlessly in spite of his Order spell advantage and full heals.

Elias
Linguist

HP 210
AC 17
Attack +8
Damage 1d6+5

Com 4
Ref 4
Fort 6
Will 4

Con and Int
Knowledge Arcana +15
Diplomacy +10
Athletics +10
Investigation +15
Perception +10
Understands all languages

Language of Spells
With an Arcana check, increasing with repeat use per day, you can enscribe a single spell you catch the opponent using. This can be cast once at any time. May hold up to 5 levels of spells this way.

Dissonant Whispers 3/day
Heroism 2/day
Charm Person 2/day
Fear 2/day
Shatter 2/day
Silence 1/day
Expeditious Retreat 1/day
Dominate Beast 1/day
A very Agape design. When he had almost no mana left, he used his third Order spell in his final fight. Unfortunately, as Savior had no chance to win at this point, he turned on his master.

Archer
Played by Ullar
Simo Hayha
HP 360
AC 19
Attack +10 (+15 ranged vs Champ)
Damage 3d4+20 (3d10+30 ranged vs Champ, halved vs Summoner)

Com 6
Ref 10
Fort 6
Will 6

Dex and Int
Stealth +15
Survival +10
Perception +10
Knowledge Geography +15
Insight +10

Archer's Sight
The Archer can see perfectly up to the range of his gun.

Archer's Independence
Without an Order Spell, the Archer loses mana at a reduced rate of 10, 20, 30, ect.

White Death
Simo Hayha carries a snowstorm with him wherever he goes, obscuring vision and increasing travel times globally except for himself and his summoner. Within 500 feet, this effect is increased. For 10 mana per round, this short aura does 1d8 cold damage a round and gives him and his summoner the effect of the spell Mirror Image. All effects can be individually surpressed at any time.

Killer Hill
By spending an amount of time, Simo Hayha can prepare up to 3 areas of dominance for him to snipe in, granting 2d10 bonus damage and +1 attack on ranged attacks, as well as +1 AC. Time can be spent between 2 for 30 feet, 4 for 60 feet, and 8 hours for 100 feet, the size of the area increasing with time spent.

M/28-30 Mosin Nagant "Pystykorva"
Simo Hayha's ranged attacks can be fired up to 800 feet away, and 1200 with disadvantage. You also lose 1d10+10 of damage for each 400 feet of distance. As a trademark attack costing 10 mana, Simo Hayha's ranged attack can't be interfered with by any means.

Paper: Rifle Butt Smash
Push opponent 20 feet away and they take 1 Com damage. If Com broken, they are pushed 40 feet away.

Rock: Kuomo SMG Surprise
Prevent reactions on next round.

Scissors: Flare Burn
Marks a vital spot, dealing 1d10 extra damage on the next ranged attack. This can stack.
Onto probably the most broken character. He was supposed to tick away at people from a long range, but ended up being a massive force of damage due to 500 feet of difficult terrain. I had already nerfed Killer Hill to be a more close range ability, which was intended but not conveyed. The difficult terrain really sealed the deal though.

If he had camped the whole game, he may have gotten teamed up against. Everyone hated him for reasons not under his control. He was just cast as the bad guy. But he ended up losing in situations where he wasn't at great ranged. I thought he was dead to rights one time when he just stumbled into Rider, but Lightwolf ran away. Then he let himself get arrested, leading to an altercation with Savior and Assassin. In the end, after helping to kill Savior, he was stabbed in the back, literally, by the Knight.

Riley Anwar
Geomancer

HP 200
AC 17
Attack +8
Damage 1d6+5

Com 4
Ref 6
Fort 4
Will 6

Dex and Wis
Acrobatics +15
Perception +15
Stealth +15
Nature +10

Geomancy
You possess 30 GP per day, which can spent to cast spells fitting your current environment. Each spell costs a number of GP equal to its spell level.

ICE (any location, so long as Simo Hayha is making it snow)
Ice Storm
Cone of Cold
Watery Sphere

EARTH (any outdoor location with dirt)
Erupting Earth
Transmute Mud to Rock
Melf's Minute Meteors

PLANTS (any outdoor location with plants)
Grasping Vine
Plant Growth
Tree Stride

ROCK (any urban area with asphalt)
Stone Shape
Wall of Stone
Transmute Rock to Mud
Stoneskin
Knight
Played by Maxim/imperfectluck/FormerHope (and designed by Gale Wing Srock)
Perseus
HP 400
AC 21
Attack +12
Damage 3d10+20

Com 10
Dex 8
Fort 8
Will 6

Str and Dex
Stealth +15
Acrobatics +15
Escape Artist +15
Athletics +15

Knight's Cover
While within 30 feet, your Summoner cannot be dealt HP damage.

Reflex
When an attack would hit the Knight, you may gain AC to block it at the cost of 25 mana per AC.

Head of Medusa
As a standard action, opponent and summoner are turned to stone. They remain this way for 24 hours, and cannot be hurt while in stone form. Cannot be used on same opponent twice, and successive use raises mana cost. This is free the first time, then costs 50 extra mana per use. As a finisher this is a standard action to set up, costing 100 mana, then it deals 1 Fort damage per hour until they are turned to stone and killed after being Fort broken. You must not hide from your opponent or this effect will go away. The opponent loses 1 damage dice while this is in effect, and 1 more for each 4 Fort damage they have taken.

Athena's Polished Shield
Once per combat (per opposing champ), you can deflect one physical attack or spell cast on you. For a mana cost, the spell can be reflected back at the caster. For 10 mana, you may trick the target into seeing a reflection of themself.

Helm of Darkness
Perseus and his summoner are invisibile while out of combat. This functions as a mist hiding him, but not pinpointing his location.

Paper: Shield Slam
Stuns opponent so that next attack does +15 damage.

Scissors: Mirror Strike
On hit, you gain 10 HP.

Rock: Harpe Slash
Every three attacks recovers one use of Athena's Polished Shield.
As you can see, the ownership of Perseus alone could and will fill a paragraph. He was designed for the most part by Gale, who I was pretty vocal about my difficulty working with. He had a lot of unreasonable demands, never really knew what he wanted, and after we fully designed his character, suddenly decided that he wanted to start over. That was when I put my foot down. Maxim subbed in, and while he was deciding whether to make a new champ or not, I ended up giving Perseus trademark to Savior. The one I ended up replacing it with is not so great, but might have been a good anti-Rider tool. Maxim subbed out fairly quickly when ipl showed up, but he didn't have the drive to play he used to and quietly stopped participating. Meanwhile FormerHope was already in the game without a champion, so I just said that the master died and he took over Knight.

As a result, Knight was probably the worst champion. He doesn't really have a kit at all, and doesn't feel like he has much oomph at all. And maybe he doesn't, cause he failed to win a 1 on 1 with Rider by a good margin.

Even with 1 Order spell, Knight had a fairly good chance at winning. Medusa's head allowed him to not be teamed up on, although even that was only due to the grace of Lightwolf (jumpluff is a scumbag), and his trademark would have been sort of handy for the final fight. But he wasn't able to win the fight that mattered.

Ironically, probably the three weakest champions came in the top 3.

Benjamin
Engineer

HP 210
AC 17
Attack +8
Damage 1d6+5

Com 4
Ref 4
Fort 6
Will 4

Con and Int
Spellcraft +15
History +15
Local +15
Diplomacy +10
Sense Motive +10

Gunner
The engineer carries a gun capable of hurting champions. It has +3 to hit within 30 feet.

Engineering
Each day, the gunner can build inventions out of spells. These last until used. They may have multiple uses per invention.
I threw the engineer design at Maxim when he had no ideas of his own, so obv I like it. So it sucks that Benjamin never did anything and both people who played as him never even remembered to craft a spell with him. Maxim only made three Fireball grenades when I reminded him to craft. So much potential wasted.

Monk
Played by Walrein/jumpluff
Gilgamesh and Enkidu
HP 200
AC 20
Attack +11
Damage 3d8+1d4+20

Com 5
Ref 4
Fort 4
Will 5

Str and Wis
Athletics +15
Survival +15
Intimidate +10
Insight +15
History +10
Perception +15

Monk's Awareness
The Monk is supernaturally aware of magical disturbances around him, notifying him of nearby spellcasting and active founts.

Monk's Meditation
The Monk may spend an hour in meditation to gain 5 mana. This can be done up to 6 times a day.

The Epic of Gilgamesh
Gilgamesh and Enkidu function as a tag team, and only lose when both are killed. In any one fight, only one may participate, while the other is intangible. As a bonus action, the other partner may tag in. As their Trademark Attack, Slaying the Bull of Heaven, one uses a special attack that always wins RPS and tags out. This has increasingly high mana costs within the same fight, costing 20 mana, then 40, 60, etc.

The Walls of Uruk
As a standard action, costing 25 mana, Gilgamesh can create walls that only he and his summoner can walk through. The more mana spent, the sturdier and longer lasting the walls are. Due to his civil nature, Gilgamesh has +2 AC but 1d8 less damage.

The Taming of Enkidu
As a tamed wild man, Enkidu gives off an inocuous and civilized smell. No player who has not seen him fight would think he isn't an NPC. Due to his true wild nature, Enkidu deals 2d8 more damage, but has -1 AC.

Gilgamesh

Scissors: Battlefield Instinct
Your next counterattack deals +15 damage.

Paper: Leg Sweep
Opponent takes 1 Com damage and their speed is reduced to 0 next turn. If they are Com broken, they are knocked prone instead.

Rock: Draining Strikes
Combo: Deal 5 extra damage per combo, and gain 30 temporary HP.

Enkidu

Rock: Wild Fury
Combo: Deal 5 extra damage per combo, and gain 1d4 extra damage.

Paper: Sucker Punch
If this attack deals damage, Enkidu may move up to his speed without incurring reaction attacks.

Scissors: Hint of Civilization
If this attack deals damage, your next attack get -2d8 damage but has +2 to hit.
VERY cool design. Shame Walrein didn't really get to play it.

jumpluff teams up largely with Lightwolf early on, and loosely as well with FormerHope later. As a result, she did no fighting ever and had no experience with the new system or with a character she didn't make. Monk had a VERY good chance of winning because by the time the final battle came around, they could perform his unbeatable attack about 6 times. But a combination of being outplayed and bad dice luck did them in.

Had the best order spell in the game. Fusion-ha combined Gilgamesh and Enkidu, combining their bonuses and canceling out their weaknesses, and giving access to all six attack options.

When I say that people were lazy with plans, jumpluff was obv the opposite. In fact, a few players leached off of her later in the game because her plans were so detailed and lengthy.

Kedaar
Arcane Trickster

HP 200
AC 17
Attack +9
Damage 1d6+5

Com 4
Ref 6
Fort 4
Will 6

Dex and Cha
Acrobatics +15
Deception +15
Sleight of Hand +15
Perception +10

Mage Hand Legerdemain Cantrip
Cunning Action
Sneak Attack +5d6

Invisibility (Self) 2/day
Mirage Arcana 1/day
Mislead 1/day
Not a very high impact summoner. Mostly was invisible, probably more than he should have been for 2/day.

Rider
Played by Lightwolf
Dullahan
HP 390
AC 20
Attack +12
Damage 3d10+20

Com 8
Ref 8
Fort 8
Will 8

Con and Cha
Intimidation +15
Perception +10
Athletics +10
Nature +10

Rider's Chase and Retreat
You always have advantage on skill checks involving fleeing or chasing.

Rider's Speed
You may at any time spend multiples of 10 mana to gain bonuses of 10 feet of speed in any form.

Unseelie Mount and Carriage
HP 200 (-48)
AC 19
Speed 70
The Dullahan's mount leaves a trail of fire in its wake. Normally this deals 1d10 fire damage to any enemy standing in it. As a full round action, costing 25 mana, the Dullahan can move up to twice its speed and leave a Wall of Fire in its wake. Further, as a bonus action the Dullahan can enter and exit Carriage Form. The Carriage has 100 HP and can hold his summoner, however, he cannot attack outside of his flame trail.

The Headless Horsewoman
The Dullahan's head is detachable. It can see up to 200 feet away at night. It can light up in any darkness. All locks and gates open before it. One attack applies stacks of blood. For every three stacks, the Dullahan powers up one of her RPS options.
Rock causes 3 bleed damage.
Scissors reduces movement speed to 0 for two turn.
Paper increases AC by 2 for 2 turns.

At the Crossroads
Once per day, costing 25 mana, the Dullahan may mark one spot in the road. This will attract other hostile players. If the Dullahan leaves the location, this will attract two players hostile to each other. For 25 bonus mana, all of their harmful effects will be increased against each other. As the Dullahan's Trademark Ability, costing 100 mana, she may call out the true name of any nearby Champion. This will apply one full serving of dried blood, give attacks a bleed effect that is amplified by the amount of dried blood, and make the Dullahan inescapable for an hour.

Scissors: Blood Bucket
In each fight, the bucket is filled with blood stacks for each 75 points of damage any character takes. As an attack, on hit, those stacks are applied to the opponent.

Rock: Retreating Attack
Back up to 20 feet away after attacking.

Paper: Remount
Attack places you back on mount.

Paper: Trample
Move through opponent, dealing fire trail damage and +5 to damage from hooves.

Scissors: Eye Whip
Lashes opponent in the eyes, causing them to have -2 attack next turn.

Rock: Sharp Scythe
Scythe attack has +2 to hit.
Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Until now.

Not much to say about Lightwolf that hasn't been said when talking about others. He cut off his own summoner's head and turned him into a Dullahan. Hope it was worth it! We still don't know what he's doing after winning... LightWolf

Putera Gilmore
Yomi Boxer

HP 210 (135)
AC 18
Attack +9
Damage 1d10+1d4+5

Com 6
Ref 4
Fort 6
Will 4

Str and Con
Athletics +15
Investigation +10
Insight +10
Deception +10

Yomi
Summoner may predict RPS when attacking a champ. In this way the summoner may gain advantage and force disadvantage. 1 Ki is gained when advantage is gained.

Ki Pool 6 Ki
Flurry of Blows (1 extra attack)
Patient Defense
Step of the Wind
Evasion
Empty Body

True Strike/Cantrip
Detect Magic/1 Ki
Locate Object/2 Ki
Locate Creature/2 Ki
Arcane Eye/2 Ki
See Invis/2 Ki
Telepathic Bond/2 Ki
Easily the coolest summoner, though he did complicate combat quite a bit. No one even sort of justified the summoner system like he did.

really fun times!! gg. I said most of what I wanted to say on IRC for now since I have to leave, but I want to thank von again for hosting this because I had tons of fun, LW and FH for the good games, and point out that LW actually won PSW1, so he is actually a polygamist (congrats). and I hope we can play again. :D

If you want the log of the final fight let me know, I'll put all my logs up later so everyone can read 'em

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nnPy4DzlTn9wlDVOjW5qx4c1eMvBFTes11t_VwW_rZI/edit#gid=0 historical data for you all :3

(also +1 to the long history of games where jumpluff and LW ally and never stab each other!)

Last edited:
This post is written in a sleep-deprived state.

I actually liked 5e spells. The decreased power level caused the battle to be around champions, which was super. I'd even go as far as remove summoners as a viable target altogether (like PSW1) and nerf their power level insanely.

Saves were meh, they were boring to play around in an already really slow-paced game :(

RPS I have mixed feelings about... On the other hand it added an interesting tactical element, but IMO the added tactical element was due to the limited champion toolkits (removing full attacks was an amazing idea/accident). I disliked the RPS itself, because at its core I find it uninteresting, and getting disadvantage was too limited/RNG (yes this time I actually dislike RNG, you can quote me on this). Having tight champ single-action based toolkits with a smaller, but still existing interaction with the opposing champ's abilities would be best IMO (something elements, orders or runes-based? different flavoured orders? permanently losing one champ ability when you use an order, and every order spell in itself is a preset ability?). That underlined idea is really good.

Regarding the game itself: It ran faster than my PSWIV, which ran for 3 years. Teaming up is still too strong (/used 3 order spells, didn't win, no salt at all). I wish I could have fought others, particularly pluff and Lightwolf, who I'd have liked to have caused to kick the bucket. I was satisfied with my slow, snowballing toolkit, but was too lazy to utilize it properly (didn't seek out sprits more actively; didn't turtle enough to stall). I was surprised that blowing up a college alerted so many people :/

Skis best vehicle.

Finnish PSV.

My character was pretty much a segregationist who believed humans/mages shouldn't ever be involved with one another. This led to him targeting anyone who consciously killed non mages (assassin and savior).

I completely agree that alliances were the meta though,from the point of assassin onwards (discounting the final), every champion death was in a battle where more than 2 people were present.

I'm just sad I killed Archer before the end, originally I was planning to tank Savior and then have us as a pair fight the Rider/Monk duo. However from Savior order shenanigans Archer ended up tanking it and as Arthur had some beef with Archer from the Berserker kill, I decided to just do the finishing blow. Had Archer not died, we probably could have been the final two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)