Pidgeot

Pidgeot

(I really hope everyone knows what a Pidgeot is by now.)

Ability 1: Keen Eye
Pokémon's accuracy cannot be lowered.
Ability 2: Tangled Feet
Evasion increases when confused.
Dream World Ability: Pidgeon Heart
Its defense cannot be lowered.

Generation III/IV Moves: Aerial Ace, Agility, Air Cutter, Air Slash, Attract, Brave Bird, Captivate, Defog, Double Team, Endure, Facade, Faint Attack, FeatherDance, Fly, Foresight, Frustration, Giga Impact, Gust, Heat Wave, Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Mirror Move, Natural Gift, Ominous Wind, Pluck, Protect, Pursuit, Quick Attack, Rain Dance, Refresh, Rest, Return, Roost, Sand-Attack, Secret Power, Sky Attack, Sleep Talk, Steel Wing, Substitute, Sunny Day, Swagger, Tackle, Tailwind, Thief, Toxic, Twister, U-turn, Uproar, Whirlwind, Wing Attack.

Generation V Moves:
By Egg: Pursuit, Faint Attack, Foresight, Steel Wing, Air Cutter, Air Slash, Brave Bird, Uproar, Defog
By Growth: Tackle, Sand-Attack, Gust, Quick Attack, Whirlwind, Twister, FeatherDance, Agility, Wing Attack, Roost, Tailwind, Mirror Move, Air Slash, [M542] (Wind Storm)
By TM: Toxic, Hidden Power, Sunny Day, Hyper Beam, Protect, Rain Dance, Frustration, Return, Double Team, Aerial Ace, Facade, Rest, Attract, Thief, [M496] (Troll), Giga Impact, [M526] (Cheer Up), Swagger, Pluck, U-Turn, Substitute, Fly.

Gen V Moves:
Old Moves (updated!): Uproar is now up in power from 50 to 90.
Roost is highly restricted in Gen V availability, compared to its earlier ease of access.
New Moves: [M542], currently translated as Wind Storm, is a Special Flying Attack. It is extremely limited availability, with only about five Pokemon learning it, I believe; Pidgeot is the only Normal/Flying to do so. 120 Pow, 70% Accuracy - 100% Accuracy under any Weather Condition. 10 PP.
[M526], currently translated as Cheer Up, is certainly interesting; it's the offensive version of Cosmic Power, raising both of Pidgeot's offensive stats. It's fairly common; 156 of 649 pokemon learn it.
[M496], currently translated as Troll. It's 60 Pow Normal by default, mounting for each pokemon on your team who has it. The amount it increases is unknown to me; as little as 10 Pow per can make it a significant move. It is one of the most commonly learned TMs, at 649 learners (minus repeats from forms). Apparently, Pokemon are a bunch of jerks on the internet. 8D

Base Stats
Hit Points: 83
P. Attack: 80
P. Defense: 75
S. Attack: 70
S. Defense: 70
Speed: 91

Commentary: Um, for starters, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not here to preach to the choir; I am terrible at competitive battling, largely because my favorites run the gamut of tiers, and don't usually play nicely together, making it impossible for me to focus on one tier. However, I've always had a strong interest in competitive battling, and with 660-some pocket monsters, I'm hoping enough of the ones I like settle in one tier to work together.

So, I'm posting this to hopefully generate some thoughts from the people who actually do know what's going on.

Onto the actual things of note;

Mirror Move: With 3 on 3 battles and moves like Healing Pulse (Heals 50% of an ally's HP), this extremely rare move from Generation I might actually find a usage in this generation. It seems doubtful, however. Same for...
Tailwind!: Doubling my entire party's speed at once for three turns is a lot better than doubling Pidgeot's speed, switch him out, and let someone else experience speed for one round. Tailwind is only slightly more common than Mirror Move.
Pidgeot's Speed: 91 is respectable in the lower tiers. (Durr, Captain Obvious here.) It's slow in the higher tiers, and while Pidgeot is by no means durable enough to wall, it does mean that Pidgeot might be able to reliably go second, which has its uses in...
Weather: With the ability to use both of the offensive weather conditions well in conjunction with Wind Storm, Pidgeot might make a decent weathervane.
Uproar: Packing STAB, a BP boost and running off of what might end up being Pidgeot's prime attacking stat, the Mach 2 Bird has another potential function in Triple Battles - anti-sleep. With most of the users of sleep moves being Grass and Bug, if Arch's prediction that Wind Storm is multitarget is true, Pidgeot can create a situation where it is uncomfortable to get their sleepers out, and then - once they're in - Pidgeot can wake up your party and do damage. Someone needs to test if Uproar allows you to pick your target or if it's random - I'd imagine this would stay the same between Gen IV to V, so if no one else does, I can test it tonight.
Abilities: Unfortunately, Pidgeot's Dream World ability isn't really any better than the previous two it got. I'm not sure who decided this. :|

Sample movesets that will really suck and get torn apart here fast, but I'm posting 'em so I don't get this thread deleted:

3-on-3 Supporter Weathervane
Tangled Feet
@Sharp Beak or @Weather Rock
Timid or Modest
252 SpA/252 HP/4 Whatever
Sunny Day or Rain Dance
Wind Storm
Tailwind
Protect/Roost/Heat Wave/Mirror Move/Uproar

Sets up your party's speed, sets up the weather the next turn - or vice-versa, either works. Might want to set up Tailwind first for people who begin their first round with the weather out, then your team is going first next round to overwrite the opponent's weather condition. Heat Wave adds very poor coverage, Mirror Move depends on what support moves your teammates are packing - I see it remaining gimmicky even in 3s, but there's a possibility of use, maybe. Protect allows you to survive a round of focus fire if your opponents decide they don't want you alive for another set of Tailwind. Uproar may become useful this generation, but it comes at the risk that Pidgeot may not be available in time to get another Sunny Day, Rain Dance, or Tailwind out.

1-on-1 Choice Sunglasses
Tangled Feet
Timid or Modest
252 SpA/252 Speed/4 HP
@Choice Specs or Life Orb
Wind Storm
HP Fighting or Ground or Cheer Up
Heat Wave
Troll or Return

I picture this Pidgeot wearing a pair of shades and being real proud of himself after pissing off someone on the internet. Jerk. Obviously, you let someone else set up the weather for this jerk, he switches in, and yeah. Same principle as the physical CB Pidgeot on the site. Go with Life Orb instead for a mixed set with Cheer Up if you get a free turn for some reason.

I found a list of new items here, btw, for the many people like me who have been wondering where to get 'em. Dunno if it's complete or not. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6166788

I hope this thread isn't too terrible, I spent like, 90 minutes on it. 8|

Uhhh, poor Pidgeot.
With all the changes I was hoping he'd get some shiny new toys to play with. (Especially with the new Dream World Abilities, shame how that turned out. D:)

The best two things he obtained were Cheer Up and Windstorm, so he actually has some (at least a little T_T) sweeping potential. Perhaps a Cheer Up/ Agility set? I know two boosting moves gets redundant, but this is his best bet at sweeping.

Anyways, the staple will probably be the same.

Standard Defensive Pidgeot

@Leftovers
Tangled Feet
Timid
252 HP / 112 SpA / 144 Spe

Roost
Windstorm / Air Slash
HP Ground
Featherdance/Toxic

As for a sweeper set, I guess this is the best I could come up with...his movepool hasn't gotten much better. Shame he couldn't get something like Butterfly Dance....

Offensive Pidgeot

@Leftovers/Life Orb
Tangled Feet
Lonely / Mild / Hasty
(I'm too lazy to slap an EV set right now...)

Cheer Up
Agility
Windstorm / Air Slash / Brave Bird / Return
HP Ground / Steel Wing / Quick Attack
Just real quick off the top of my head, anyone feel free to suggest something, or just make one better than mine please. :)

Quite honestly I don't see much potential for Pidgeot as for as singles goes.
He's gotten a few improvements, but he'll at best be a Low - Mid UU pokemon who likes weather abuse.

Doubles, however, is a different story. I think Tailwind and Windstorm in the weather can yield solid results. I'm not too experienced in Doubles, so I'll post a thought out set later.

I am -really- interested in Triples, heh. Pidgeot has a lot of options there - Defog comes to mind. Killing Reflect/Light Screen and increasing your chance to hit with all abilities is nice.

I think triples will be good for him too. He gets teamates to help set up.
Pidgeot definitely works best when he's helping others set up.

I would think Windstorm is a full field move, so Cheer Up and Windstorm in weather would definitely hurt. Sadly though, I think Dragonite would fit this role better than Pidgeot, he isn't as fast, but he packs a much much much bigger punch.

It depends on how much Windstorm's damage is lowered across the three targets, if it is indeed multitarget (which seems logical.)

No one knows what the tiers will be this gen, but I think it's logical to assume that Pidgeot and Dragonite will not be sharing the same tier, heehee. I feel like this is enough to definitively set the archetypal Normal/Flying apart from his many successors, finally.

Doubles has quite alot that needs to be investigated still.

Same with triples. I'm probably going to experiment to hell with Pidgeot.

I'll edit the sets I posted tommorow.

Based on experience I nervous to see if Pidgeot will be better compared to past gen. With new moves like Wind Storm and such it does look to have stonger potential 3 on 3. What intrigues me is Wind Storm, while restricted to select poke, improves what Pidgeot is capable of ;)

Pidgeot was always the best potential mixed sweeper in the Normal/Flying department (Togekiss doesn't count), and this generation help sort that out. Pidgeot can fully use Cheer Up by upping both its attacks. Also, he's frail, but not THAT frail, and he learns FeatherDance, that can give a chance to use Cheer Up. Hidden Power gives coverage, and Heat Wave can come from Generation IV as Pidgeot can ignore Pidgeon Heart and gains Wind Storm by level up and Cheer Up by TM.

I will never be a big threat, but now can do more things. Only if he had at least an usable ability... Was Keen Eye improved or it's still crap?

Keen Eye is still crap.

If Pidgeot had a good ability he'd be very useable.
He's about as bulky as Arcanine, but Pidgeot lacks Intimidate, limiting his defensive capabilities.

In NU, he's really the only choice for a defensive bird, but it just isn't enough for UU.

I do think, however, Windstorm and Cheer Up/Agility can help him be viable in UU. Plus he'll get a nice little niche as the only Normal/Flying type pokemon in UU that can abuse all this weather. HP Ground and Windstorm hit pretty much every Sunny Day-er, and hit Electrode, Kabutops, Omastar, and Ludicolo like a beast.

His defensive capabilities aren't going anywhere. The only big difference for him is that he can hit pokemon harder with Windstorm for his Stall set.

However, his offensive capabilites show some promise, at least in weather.

I can't look right now - is there any possibility of a rise in accuracy droppers, confusion inducement, or Defense lowering? I really wish Pidge got Simple. Cheer Up + Simple = 8D

Even with Wind Storm, Pidgeot is still stuck in the middle for the Normal/Birds. It's not as bulky as Noctowl, and not as threatening as Staraptor/Swellow.

I still love this Pokemon to death, as I have since R/B/Y, but it just can't keep up with the metagame.

To be fair, Noctowl has basically nothing going for him offensively. :P

I'll agree he's not as threatening as Swellow or Staraptor, but he certainly has different uses than them this generation.

Wow, I didn't think it was possible for a Pokemon to have 3 useless abilities. FeatherDance is still Pidgeot's only niche.

After a little research I don't think things will be looking well for Pidgeot. He does stand to gaing more from NU and to an extent UU but with such meh abilities it's like they're saying "Pidgeot is gonna get a little more this gen but we're still going to be mean and leave it with abilities that won't get a second look."

Did some calcs.

Sunny Day teams get completely dominated by the Windstorm/HP Ground/Agility combo.

Rain Dance teams, however, dominate Pidgeot. He gets 2HKO'd by basically everything, so he's got no safe switch ins. If you manage to get an agility up, you can do some serious damage. A modest Pidgeot with Agility outspeeds all the standard Swift Swim sets, and Windstorm w/ Life Orb OR Stealth Rock support OHKO's Ludicolo and Qwilfish. HP Ground deals about 52% max to Kabutops sadly, and Kabutops can OHKO with everything but Aqua Jet.
Basically, he can handle Rain Dance given the right situations...or if you get lucky....

As I don't see him dominating the OU tier, He got a couple new moves to differentiate him from Dodrio/Fearow in Wind Storm. He also has Brave Bird from Gen IV so that's always nice. The best set I can come up with:

Pidgeot @ Leftovers/Lifeorb
Ability: Pidgeon Heart/Tangled Feet/Keen Eye (this doesn't really matter sadly)
Nature: Naive/Hasty
EV's: 75 Atk/176 Sp.A/252 Spe or 252 HP/252 Spe (support pidgey)
-Cheer Up/Roost
-Brave Bird
-Wind Storm
-HP Ground/Feather Dance/Tailwind/[Insert support option]

At least it looks cool...

Wow, I didn't think it was possible for a Pokemon to have 3 useless abilities. FeatherDance is still Pidgeot's only niche.
Swanna arguably does FeatherDance better, considering it's faster, has a better type, and can actually hurt things too.

Pidgeot's 85/75/70 defenses also are not THAT much better than Swanna's 75/63/63, especially when you factor the far better type. And things may actually run from a Swanna.

It even gets a useable ability in Hydration! And Wind Storm. And it's a Water-type to further abuse Rain Dance, making it a far better candidate to set it up in lower teirs than Pidgeot.

Yeah, Swanna kinda was a really big nail in Pidgeot's coffin... although, so is Noctowl, Dodrio, Swellow, and Staraptor.

The Gen 5 Generic Bird is probobly even worse than Pidgeot :/

Swanna = Pelipper, Pelipper < Pidgeot. I doubt Swanna would waste its time abusing Featherdance, as it isn't quite bulky enough to abuse it without dying. The stat differences DO make a quite noticeable difference. To be fair, Swanna and Pidgeot aren't going anywhere, but Swanna's poor offensive and defensive properties don't allow it to outclass Pidgeot who makes good use of its better bulk.

I've been thinking in a simple hard hitting set for lower tiers

Pidgeot @ Life Orb
Naive
152 Attack 104 Sp. Attack 252 Speed
Tangled Feet (WHY, WHY???)
~Cheer Up
~Brave Bird
~Windstorm
~HP Ground

It's impressive that Brave Bird from this Pidgeot at +1 2HKOs max defense max HP Torkoal with Leftovers for example. There are many things that will kill Pidgeot first as he lacks the power to grab many OHKOs and Brave Bird + Life Orb will suck its HP but Pidgeot can target the foe's weaker defense and go with a bang no matter what (HP Ground deals with everyone resisting flying attacks except Lunatone and Solrock).

And yes, many pokémon are better with powerful mixed sets but this is Pidgeot thread (and Pidgeot doesn't actually excels at anything anyway).

Uproar on a special based set actually seems somewhat viable, come in and take a sleep than Uproar to break it and get a free double evasion boost from Tangled feet after. Windstorm would make a decent secondary STAB too with Roost to help ease damage. No chance in hell it'll ever be brilliant in OU but has a chance of being quite dangerous in the lower tiers.

^Uproar only prevents you from being put to sleep. Clicking the move won't wake you up if you're already asleep, although if you use the move on a sleeping opponent, it will wake them up. It doesn't confuse the user after it ends, either.

Unfortunately, my favorite bird just isn't a competitive star, even in the lower tiers. They really screwed it over with a terrible stat distribution. I say they should reprogram its base stats as 85/105/80/95/70/110 (he'd be the only bird that could go mixed). It'll never happen, but the idea still makes me very happy.

Also, Keen Eye should work like Compound Eyes!!! Why haven't they changed this yet? Then Pidgeot could abuse 91% Accuracy Windstorm like Galvantula does with Thunder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)