Playing against the Big Boys (an NU RMT)

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
At a glance:

Playing against the Big Boys (an NU RMT)

NU was my favorite metagame back in the old Netbattle days, so I decided to build another team for Shoddy Battle. Since the only available consistent competition on Smogon is the UU ladder that is where I playtested. Surprisingly, it has reached a CRE of 1345 using the alt account melonheadnu. Most of my teams are some version of a balanced offense, and this type of playstyle shines in UU and NU with fewer defensive threats.

After playtesting a little bit more and with new pokemon in the tier, I made a few changes. This is an NU team playing in a UU environment in preparation for a release of an NU ladder on the Smogon server. The CRE of this team has peaked at 1385 so far, but I think this team can be improved.

Armaldo@Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
Evs: 128 HP, 252 ATK, 128 SPE
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Satk)
-Stealth Rock
-X-Scissor
-Rock Blast
-Earthquake

Even though I loved leading with my Porygon2, I realized that SR was so valuable that I needed someone on the first turn to set it up. Armaldo can do this. It can take out Pinsir with Rock Blast even if it has a Sash on, and can also hit Persian and Relicanth for Super Effective damage should I choose to keep it in. Armaldo also can take a hit much better than Pinsir can and also take down SubRoost Articuno and not have to worry about poison damage with Miltank having Heal Bell. Rock Blast takes out Shedinja after taking the Focus Sash into account. Earthquake is primarily to make sure Skuntank doesn’t have a field day.

Porygon2 @ Lum Berry
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP/120 SDef/136 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

I used to lead with this thing. I still could, theoretically, but I think switching it in helps the team overall more. Moving it out of the lead position allows me to get more Download boosts and sustain them for longer periods of time. Boltbeam provides great coverage, taking out the main Special Wall(s) in the game. I don’t think there are any viable special walls worth using other than Slowking at this point. It’s amazing how much of the metagame this thing takes down after a Download boost, even netting a 2HKO on most bulky Miltanks. The only change I made was moving the Defense EVs to Special Defense because Miltank can take physical hits no problem.

Miltank@Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
-Curse
-Heal Bell
-Milk Drink
-Body Slam

When I saw the new NU list I was stunned this guy was on it. This is the best physical wall in NU, bar none. I distinctly remember getting run over by a Belly Drum Linoone team on the Project NU server back last summer and wanted something that could stand up to it. There weren’t really a lot of options. The majority of physical walls have either a Shadow Claw or Seed Bomb weakness and the top revenge killers couldn’t outspeed Linoone with Extremespeed and a Salac Berry. Phazers didn’t have time to roar it out unless you switched it in every single time in hopes of getting matched up with Linoone.

Now Linoone is much less of a threat, with Miltank only taking an 81 percent maximum hit from a +6 Extremespeed. This plus Banette will take out Linoone after factoring in Reflect and no SR damage. I do not care that Linoone might no longer be a threat, but every solid NU team needs a plan for Belly Drummers like Zard, Poliwrath, and Swords Dance passers like Gligar. In an offensive metagame you need to have some wall to stop these threats. Miltank works for this.

I chose the Curse set for maximum defensive options. Body Slam with a Curse on the switch nets a 2HKO on Skuntank.

Medicham (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Thunderpunch

Medicham has always been one of my favorite NU pokemon. The “Scizor of NU” as I have heard some people call it made my team as my other revenge killer. With a Choice Scarf and Jolly nature, Medicham outspeeds Poliwrath after Salac Berry activation. This set is a great wallbreaker, especially with Pure Power. The moveset I would imagine to be fairly standard. Brick Break is over Hi Jump Kick after a recommendation on my first RMT. Psycho Cut is to abuse hax, and Boltbeam punch provides good coverage.

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Slack Off
- Psychic
- Surf
- Nasty Plot

Slowbro was one of my key players on my UU teams. I employed its cousin Slowking to run a similar role of taking down the main fire threats in NU, Charizard and Magmortar. Slowking provides the bulk this team desperately needs. I wend max SDef because 120 Satk is no longer significant with Leafeon out of NU. Even though it falls to status, Lum Berry is useless as the opponent will always be faster to status on the next turn. Psychic is for Medicham and other fighting types.

Banette@Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Satk)
-Shadow Sneak
-Sucker Punch
-Return
-Trick

Espeon is a pain in NU. With one of the fastest speeds and tied for the highest special attack in NU anyone not prepared for it will face a painful, horrible death. Armaldo as a lead isn’t guaranteed to stay to counter Espeon as Espeon likely KOes Armaldo after factoring in SR damage. Skuntank was another option I had, but I wanted something different and unique because I would figure most Espeon users would carry a Skuntank counter (or have sub+HP ground to take them down). I also like having two different revenge killers just in case one is down or I have a threat where I need to sacrifice multiple pokes like if NP Ninetails gets troubling or Tauros nets a +6 with Anger Point.

I settled on Banette because with a Choice Band and these Evs I outspeed Espeon and net a guaranteed OHKO with Shadow Sneak. Sucker Punch is also nice priority if I know through Frisk that the opponent has a Choice Band. Trick really helps take down walls like Miltank or any other annoying pests. Return is mostly filler for when I think the opponent might switch to a Normal type.

Problem Pokes: Sub CM Cressy is by far the biggest pain in UU, not that it should even be there in the first place ;). CM Raikou also can pose an issue with subs up. As far as NU, my biggest worry is probably Skuntank, as it can go through most of my team. Let me know what you think.

Feel free to change anything. Rate or take. Thanks for reading!

High Jump Kick is bad. Missing a HJK causes your Medicham to do quite a bit of damage to itself. I recommend replacing it for Brick Break as it has 100% and has the added affect of breaking screens.

Roost over Stone Edge on Gligar. Recovery is always good and Articuno pretty much dies to SR so anybody on your team can pretty much kill it. Also Medicham kills Flying types with its pseudo-Bolt-Beam combo punches.

I'd replace signal beam with charge beam, signal beam doesn't cover that much, and after a special attack boost Manetric is fast enough and powerful enough to OHKO most threats. but thats just my preferance

The combination of Surf and Psychic is fine, Ice Beam isn't necessary. Especially considering Slowbro walls your Slowking anyway, so the best you can do against one without Toxic is to keep Nasty Plotting.

About your threats like Raikou, your only good NU answer to Raikou is Quagsire, provided Raikou isn't running HP Grass (which if it is, Gligar should be able to take one and Earthquake it). Otherwise, there isn't much you can do against Raikou without using a UU Poke. I do suggest you use some of the new Pokemon that have descended into NU though: Espeon, Electrode, Miltank, Gardevoir, Magneton, and Typhlosion. From what I hear, Espeon is getting to the point where it is a major threat in UU now (making Skuntank a necessary evil to any team). I don't know a whole lot about NU though, so I can only advise you use your NU team in NU, not UU.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Miltank is now NU now? Wow. After running some damage calcs, Miltank takes Extremespeed from Linoone much better than Bibarel does. Time to switch it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)