Pokémon GO

I keep noticing little weird things about the game which shouldn't really happen e.g:

1. I noticed how with some different CP Pokemon, great balls are actually worse than poke balls at catching the Pokemon

2. The game has a great sense of irony. I went t a harbour town and I found a bunch of different water type Pokemon, including tentacool. I saw some people crab fishing then I looked at my game and realised that town was one of the o my places I COULDNT catch Krabby. Better luck catching one in the countryside!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36961201

So people have started legal action against Niantic for the positions of Stops/Gyms being on private property. As far as I was aware, Niantic removed stops if you contacted them with the location that you wanted removed?

This launch is just going from bad to worse...

EDIT: Also just found this https://medium.com/@yangcliu/an-open-letter-to-john-hanke-niantic-6a32325b67a8#.p7xkpkdjy

It's very much worth the read if you have time and is wonderfully written.

Last edited:
People are really disappointing ... I don't understand why people are whining against the shutdown of Pokevision ... Maybe because I live in a big city, but I like discovering new parks / places where I can find Pokemon I didn't encounter ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36961201

So people have started legal action against Niantic for the positions of Stops/Gyms being on private property. As far as I was aware, Niantic removed stops if you contacted them with the location that you wanted removed?.
That doesn't really surprise me. Pessimistic as it might sound, things like this don't go as viral and popular without at least some legal trouble being brought up, legitimate or not. Maybe Go should have made this feature a bit clearer, but something like it was gonna happen no matter what.

People are really disappointing ... I don't understand why people are whining against the shutdown of Pokevision ... Maybe because I live in a big city, but I like discovering new parks / places where I can find Pokemon I didn't encounter ...
For a lot of people, the main thing was to hunt down certain Pokemon on the radar and eventually find and catch them. Not that it was possible in the first place because of the three-step bug, but at least Pokevision was there to help them. Now, the hunting thing I mentioned earlier is not possible in any way. We are basically blind now. I personally don't mind, as I liked to just walk around and encounter random mons. I never used Pokevision either so I can't really judge on what it exactly did. But for a lot of other people it's a big deal.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
do you like to discover the new parks while trying to decipher the order of the 9 mons and wandering literally aimlessly? you can still do that if you had an idea of general direction where the mon might be, while saving time and energy(your own, your phone's, probably your car's)

do you like to discover the new parks while trying to decipher the order of the 9 mons and wandering literally aimlessly? you can still do that if you had an idea of general direction where the mon might be, while saving time and energy(your own, your phone's, probably your car's)
The game is about to discover new places and search ... If you know already the place of the pokemon, it's not a hunt anymore

The game is about to discover new places and search ... If you know already the place of the pokemon, it's not a hunt anymore
It's not like you're told exactly where the pokemon is. But it's nice to have a general idea. As SparksBlade said, you can still discover and explore new areas this way. It's still a hunt. I'd much rather know how close/far a pokemon is to me so I have at least have some idea of where to search, rather than be left to wander and possibly end up in a place I'm not familiar with. Especially when you consider the fact that children, either with their parents or without, play this game and it's particularly good for them to know if a pokemon is within the boundaries of where they can go.

Anyone else experiencing floating Pokemon shifting up a few frames after each consequtive throw? Pretty annoying.

Having played this since UK release, I used Pokevision because I actually want to catch new things, there are only so many Pidgey, Drowzee, Rattata, Psyduck and spearow on repeat you can take before you get frustrated when I go and get pokemon, its the same stuff in the same areas over and over.
the main places with lures in city are Magikarp, Poliwag, Staryu and Goldeen nests, with the aforementioned rubbish thrown in, what made this frustrating was seeing what spawned around the world and seeing mass rare stuff spawning in America (central park...) while I farm in a large city, its the stuff above nearly always, regardless of location, so when something like a Dratini is about, I want it. Granted the odd thing like Ponyta, and Magnamite have popped up from nowhere, it just isn't enough to have a competitive team, I have eggs to Hatch.
there are certain Pokemon I want/need, 1 is Eevee, while listed as common I rarely find, Magikarp.. well I got that sorted, and Dratini.
I already have the strongest Hypno in the area, but gyms are full of Gyarados and Vaporeon, my 14/15/14 IV Parasect is almost perfect, but its a low CP pokemon, regardless of solarbeam, and Seaking is still off Hypno's level and has junk moves.

so while the game is about discovering new places, when the new places contain the same rubbish, or are outside of 300m, or can't be seen for a nearby full of pidgey its a waste of time. I have clocked a decent spawnpoint before pokevision went down, where it clocked omastar, Omanite AND dratini, when i looked on there before it went down, its not somewhere i would go normally, so there you go, pokevision is taking me somewhere.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Niantic finally said why they closed down the Pokemon tracking sites.

Short answer: Those sites were a heavy load on their servers which was preventing them from releasing Go in Southern American countries like Brazil.

Okay, fine, though just a few questions:

1. Why didn't you just say that from the start instead of going dark until the release in South America? Were you afraid of some kind of backlash against South America by fans? Don't worry, even if they don't like it I think the (reasonable) fans would get over it as they'd agree everyone deserves a chance to play the game.
2. This still doesn't address the problems with YOUR tracking system, namely that now there isn't one. Also there are reports the game is now updating/scanning for something every 10 seconds instead of 5, meaning less Pokemon are appearing (and steps off your eggs).
3. Why did you make catching Pokemon more harder? Pokemon now move faster, more likely to break out of the Poke Ball, and the "perfect capture" circle is smaller then it used to be.

Honestly it doesn't feel the tracking sites are the only ones who they wanted to drop off, it feels they made things harder to "convince" general players to not play as well (and maybe try to squeeze out a few bucks).

Okay, Niantic, you did it, Pokemon Go is out in Brazil, so what are you going to do now about the new problems you purposely created to have this happen?

Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet. So, anyone noticed that wild Pokemon flee more, getting accurate throws is more difficult, and the "nice", "great" etc throws no longer get an XP bonus?

https://mobile.twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/761301330967326720
Trainers, a new bug affecting throw accuracy increases the odds of escape and omits the XP bonus. We are working on a fix, stay tuned...

Not only that, this is like the most communication we have got from Niantic, ever. Since their head of PR and Marketing went on maternity leave 2 days after launch - http://www.i4u.com/2016/07/113601/sweet-reason-niantics-lack-communication-about-pokemon-go-troubles - public communication has clearly been lacking, which seems to be the main annoyance for most people. Even if there is a good reason, someone else should have been brought in to fill the gap.
Well, now Niantic have opened up a new job role, advertising for a "global community manager": https://nianticlabs.com/jobs#global-community-manager-pokémon-go

Sounds like they might actually be listening. Things may be looking up for this game :)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I still get 10 xp sometimes ... ?
That's from supposed curveballs though, which a lot of the time it's not. Atm if it rotates at all you get a curveball bonus...

I've also noticed (at least last night) there were a huge amount of spawns near me and I wasn't even moving around. Problem is, Pokemon move/attack around a lot more at the moment and the catch rates are definitely higher than they were.

I still get 10 xp sometimes ... ?
Interesting. The curveball bonus still exists but for me, and a lot of other people, ever since updating a few days ago the nice etc bonuses don't exist and Pokemon run all the time. Maybe it's only on certain accounts, maybe you're counting curveballs, or maybe you haven't updated the game yet? Either way, it was more the fact that they're actually starting to communicate with the players which I was more excited about!

Last edited:
I came to read some of the links and read more things about bots and holy....

So that's why I see some people evolve quickly and became tyrant in one town. I was sick of seeing one particular Instinct player taking every gyms that are secluded enough that I visit with efforts. At least in current major city I live in and study people seem to be fair and thankfully Mystic is majority, but I saw a bar filled entirely by Dragonites on 7 accounts with similar names near my dorm.

Seriously, they need to be able to improve security and stop these bots....

Now I feel bad for saying Niantics can't do better job than Game Freak, though... I hope they can this time properly communicate. There are many things to be done.

Last edited:
yea all that happens.I have 3 gyms in my area, and they change hands at all hours.
I have recently seen a level 33 guy, at that level he can have basically anything and its CP will be the same as the 22-25 guys usual stuff.
oin a gym near here there is a level 25 guy with a 1958 vaporeon, I did see a guy with 2800 Dragonite though yesterday.
I dont get it, where are all these Snorlax and Dragonites? I have not seen a single Dratini nest, the odd Dratini has popped up, but not an actual spawn.

So, Pokemon Go got released in Malaysia. And then, it crashes within 4 hours (the server). Well done, Niantic.

EDIT: OK, it got solved very quickly.

EDIT2: Is a feature to trade now available?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)