Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The damage calc from the battle between Politoed and Sylveon is just not possible with what we have today. Possible explanations I see are:

1. Sylveon has a Multiscale clone ability. Just as with Clond Nine and Air Lock, there may be a new ability like Multiscale but with a different name since as someone said, Sylveon don't have scale.

2. Sylveon has a new ability that reduce damage from crits.

3. Crits is nerfed.

4. The system did not allow the player from Gamefreak to lose.
Sylveon has cute charm, and why would the system be rigged for one person to win?

And it's DW ability must be Multiscale or something for it to have survived that critical hit from Politoad.
252 SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale (custom) on a critical hit: 160-189 (48.33 - 57.09%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

You could be right about that...

252 SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale (custom) on a critical hit: 160-189 (48.33 - 57.09%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

You could be right about that...
If it doesn't have Multiscale,either Hydro Pump's power has been reduced or rain does not power up water type moves.

If it doesn't have Multiscale,either Hydro Pump's power has been reduced or rain does not power up water type moves.
I forgot to set the weather to rain...

252 SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 240-283 (72.5 - 85.49%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It seems that water moves are no longer boasted by rain.

It would have done the same amount of damage.

Multiscale (.5) * Critical Hit (2) = 1
Regular hit = 1

Also this argument has gone on for days, and the only thing we have discovered is something has changed or there is something we don't know.
Yes. There's definitely something that's been changed... The way I see it, the possibilities are as thus;

1: Rain's been nerfed and no longer powers up Water moves.
2: Critical hits have been nerfed, possibly due to the increased critical hit ratio from Pokémon Amie.
3: Hydro Pump's base power has been nerfed.
4: Sylveon breaks the mold in terms of Eeveelution base stat totals and has a Special Defense stat to make a Chansey jealous (highly unlikely, IMO, but just throwing it out there).
5: Sylveon was holding some new item that negates the effects of weather on moves aimed at it.

Yes. There's definitely something that's been changed... The way I see it, the possibilities are as thus;

2: Critical hits have been nerfed, possibly due to the increased critical hit ratio from Pokémon Amie.
4: Sylveon breaks the mold in terms of Eeveelution base stat totals and has a Special Defense stat to make a Chansey jealous (highly unlikely, IMO, but just throwing it out there).
5: Sylveon was holding some new item that negates the effects of weather on moves aimed at it.
6. Sylveon has Cloud Nine. I'm starting to think this is more likely based on all of the speculation thinking too far outside the box when the simplest answer might be the correct one.

6. Sylveon has Cloud Nine. I'm starting to think this is more likely based on all of the speculation thinking too far outside the box when the simplest answer might be the correct one.
Cloud Nine would have show it's activation just like how Drizzle was show for Politoed and Pressure was shown for Mewtwo...

Couldn't Sylveon have an ability or item that reduces damage from critical hits instead of critical hits being nerfed? Also, there is no guarantee that the Politoed had good IVs or 252 EVs in Special Attack, in which case the damage calculations line up.

Or Sylveon could invest in HP and Special Defense, in which case the damage wouldn't require a change in mechanics. All calcs use 252 EVs in both stats and perfect IVs, plus a beneficial or neutral nature in both stats. I gave Sylveon 95/60/65/110/130/65 stats and 252 EVs in HP and SpD, and 4 in Speed. Politoed has 4EVs in HP, and 252 in SpA and Speed.
252+ SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 199-234 (50.5 - 59.39%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Multiscale (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 215-253 (54.56 - 64.21%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 180-213 (45.68 - 54.06%) -- 45.31% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Multiscale (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 199-234 (50.5 - 59.39%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Uhhh... No. 4EV's = 1 Extra stat point. That doesnt really add to the base stat... What we call Base Stats are very different to what GF call them
Well, it contributes to the "growth" offered by the Base Stats. But yes, there is a minor difference between the growth and the Base Stat(s). I just don't think it's very wrong that GF mentioned it so. It's rather a lazy way of putting it.

Cloud Nine would have show it's activation just like how Drizzle was show for Politoed and Pressure was shown for Mewtwo...
Why can't it be hidden in these games? Just about everything else in the world has been speculated, what is so fantastic about hidden Cloud Nine?

Some very little thing I noticed in this vid at the 1:48 mark:

That Psybeam sounds like its RBY counter part if I'm not mistaken. <3
That's pretty cool... but am I the last person to notice that they modified ALL of the cries of the Pokemon in that demo? Mewtwo, Crobat, and Dragonite at least had a distinguishable tweak. I remember some people arguing about how the Gen 1&2 Pokemon cries didn't match well with current Pokemon. Looks like Gamefreak updated them.

And I want to vomit every time I hear that stupid new Pikachu cry. God I hate anime Pikachu.

Why can't it be hidden in these games? Just about everything else in the world has been speculated, what is so fantastic about hidden Cloud Nine?
We're kinda at a point here where we're speculating speculation. It's not really a healthy discussion anymore. Some people get sucked in deep.

Sylveon DID NOT have a damage reducing ability. It would have popped up. Either rain has been nerved, crits have been nerfed, or Sylveon is holding a defensive item that doesn't produce a message when it activates, like expert belt or choice items.

Sylveon DID NOT have a damage reducing ability. It would have popped up. Either rain has been nerved, crits have been nerfed, or Sylveon is holding a defensive item that doesn't produce a message when it activates, like expert belt or choice items.
Thick Fat, Marvel Scale, Multiscale and Heatproof
Plus Dry Skin for more fire dmg

Edit: Apparently Multiscale doesn't have a pop-up when it activates. Still, Sylveon doesn't appear to have any scales (and all Multiscale Pokemon are Flying type, which Sylveon isn't).

Ok this is just going in circles. Let's just assume that sylveon just has cute charm as its ability, because marvel scale even as a hidden ability on sylveon doesn't make much sense flavor-wise, because it's clearly furred. The two current users of this ability both are scaled. This of course doesn't preclude Sylveon having a NEW hidden ability that reduces damage from attacks, but eh that doesn't seem very likely either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)