Pokemon Generations: Anime shorts series featuring game highlights from all generations

Both of these were a treat. Really awesome to see how far Silver's come.
The Reawakening was nice, but I feel like it was a missed opportunity that the 3 Pokémon that died didn't look like the 3 eevolutions...
Also, Eusine, that bow tie is just cringe worthy....

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
The music in episode 6 is absolutely beautiful.
Suicune's flowing mane and Ho-Oh's movements are well animated.

Episode 5 was more like a question-answer episode. It could have easily featured silver's journey in brief imo. #6 was incredible though. I enjoyed the fantastic retelling of the tale of the legendary beasts a lot, with the emphasis on Eusine truly captivating. The music was my favourite one in generations so far. It did complete justice to the magic of my favourite region in my opinion.

The beasts weren't eeveelutions after all!

Looking forward to when the four regis will finally be shown.

Wasn't too into the 5th episode, but the 6th made up for it in my book. Episode 6's remixed music had me smiling the whole way. The way they tackled the Pokemon that died in the tower was an interesting soft deconfirmation for that old fan theory. It's actually the first thing I thought about once I realized it was an episode about the Burnt Tower.

"Are they going to show what died? Are they going to show the three... Aw, making them vague animal silhouettes is a bit of a cop out..."

I can't be the only one who wants to see a return to the Kanto-Johto region in another game, as a new character, to see the full return of Giovanni now. I would be fully on board with any game that wanted to pause the traditional evil team for a new region, and supplant it with a new and improved Team Rocket. Or better yet, have some kind of team that successfully conveys the feeling of an overpowering enemy when we fight them, only for them to be curb-stomped by Giovanni and Team Rocket out of nowhere toward the end of the game. I've only just now realized that the story of Team Rocket that was started in Gen I and continued in Gen II has yet to actually be finished.

Maxie and Archie learned the errors of their ways, Ghetsis was left broken according to his followers, Cyrus (Platinum) and Lysandre are probably not dead yet, and N became an ally in a sense. Giovanni was the only team boss who left on the premise of becoming stronger in a realistic sense. It would be nice to see that come to fruition.

The beasts weren't eeveelutions after all!
That segment seemed to me as though he was recounting a legend, rather than stating actual fact. While this does hint that the Eevolutions weren't involved, I don't think canon outright bars the Eevolution theory at the point, because the way it was shown left some fluidity to the story. I'm not saying this in favor for or against the theory, I'm just pointing out that legends often misplace or exaggerate details, and it wouldn't be much for time to forget what the pokémon actually were, especially after centuries had passed. It's what happened after the pokémon died that's important to the legend, no so much the actual pokémon themselves.

That said, the line "Ho-oh used its Rainbow Shining Power" lost some of the seriousness to the story for me. It felt like I was in Yugioh Abridged, or something.

I like how the legendary beasts's previous dog-like forms were shadowed. Those forms must have been forgotten by Ecruteak City's residents after 700 years.

Seems they wanted to debunk the eeveelutions-are-legendary-beasts theory with those so obviously not eeveelution shapes. Shame, I kinda liked that theory. Made sense.

But the only Pokémon that seems to resemble that shape is... Zygarde 10%?!

Episode 6 doesn't confirm nor debunk anything, imo. They're still 3 nameless pokemon. Those silhouettes could very well be Eevee whose fur was completely burnt off by the fire ( remember guys, they were BURNT, they obviously won't look like eevee by the time the fire is done with them), or unknown pokemon entirely.

Anyways, the Silver from the flash back made me cringe really, really hard. Heck, the whole dialogue did :s

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
(Watch episode here)
0:20: Out of any storyline we could have followed, I was not expecting Looker's investigation of Giovanni.
0:34: So they didn't know Giovanni was the Viridian Gym Leader but somehow found out Silver was Giovanni's son and tracked him down? Yes, yes, I know, I'm dropping the topic now...
1:20: Should have jump cut to Giovanni sitting down next to a radio behind a waterfall in Tojoh Falls. :P
1:54: Yeah, stupid International Police, wasting time looking for crime lords and terrorist leaders. They should get a hobby.
2:05: You mean you last saw him when everyone else last saw him, incredible!
2:23: Oh, wasn't expecting Silver to be wearing a different outfit, didn't recognize him for a second.
3:22: Hey, you skipped the part where Silver notices a time travelling Ethan/Lyra and tells them to mind their own business. :P
4:20: So we're going to have a short where we see Silver challenge the Gen II iteration of the Indigo League, right? RIGHT?!...

Anyway an okay episode but doesn't really do much. We're told nothing new, the only development is the reveal Silver is going to face Gen II's Indigo League and that he has pretty much come to terms with his feelings about his father. Still like Blue's Elite Four run more as it not only showed some battling but also revealed a bit of new info about Blue we didn't know about. Still nice to at least see Silver getting some spotlight, I kind of feel he's an underused rival despite an interesting backstory and story arc. I'm also curious if this Looker investigation is going to continue, the only other place I can see it going is to the Pokemon World Tournament to finally confront Giovanni. Of course Looker is only focusing on Giovanni because its Gen I and II, when we get to the other generations he could appear investigating their villain groups. Maybe even address his circumstance in ORAS?
(Watch episode here)
0:31: You mean you just now became interested in the tale that tells about Suicune's origins? If I was looking for the Legendary Beasts that would be the first place I'd look for clues! No wonder you had such a hard time finding Suicune without the player's help.
0:52: That would have been a nice short to watch...
1:20: Dogs! They're dogs! Take that "Legendary Cats" people! Though that said I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go for the Gen I Eeveelutions, instead going vague (well, "vague" while also making them into dogs but that could be artistic license).
1:23: Wait, "constant warring"? Wasn't that only in the anime? In the games it was always the tower got struck by a lightning bolt, set ablaze, and put out by the rain. Hence why the Legendary Dogs are the types that they are (aside the theory they're re-incarnated Gen I Eeveelutions).
2:21: Wait, they knew about the perished Pokemon? I would have thought that was something they'd learn way later after the whole event. Wait, was that why they were crying? Or were they crying because the tower was burned down (which would make more sense. Not that they wouldn't feel sad for the Pokemon who lost their lives, but I think the destruction of the tower would sort of overshadow that).
2:39: What...
2:46: WHAT!? Okay, so Ho-Oh, a Pokemon you WORSHIPPED like a God, came down and revived three perished Pokemon in front of all of you into completely new Pokemon. This is a miracle, your God had blessed you all by being witnesses to the creation of its new heralds... and the first thing you do is ATTACK THEM (in front of Ho-Oh even!)? What were these people Lugia worshipers? Okay, I could maybe see people running away in fear, but attacking would be the last thing in my mind (especially in front of Ho-Oh). But of course they got to give them a reason to have the Legendary Dogs hate humans. Well since they went with the "warring" backstory they could have had the people ask the Legendary Dogs to take revenge on their enemies who burned down the tower. The Legendary Dogs would get disgusted that, after witnessing a miracle of life, they would be ask them to cause death, and so would vanish thinking people only wished for harm and destruction.
3:34: Nothing to fear... except being captured. I think that's the main reason why they aren't appearing now, I don't think they really care what humans think now.
3:45: Erm, is it just me, or did the way they draw the back of Suicune's underside look... suggestive.
4:01: So was Ho-Oh there too? Or did Suicune drop that? Now I can't help but think Suicune was leaving Eusine a thank you gift only for Eusine to ignore it. This leads to a misunderstanding where Suicune thinks Eusine rudely rejected its gift and decides never to appear in front of him again, thus why he has to chase the player's encounters with Suicune.

Another okay but not really interesting episode. Once again it's something we know about... and the addition/change they did add was kind of stupid. It was nice to see Eusine get some spotlight, though I wished they did more with him. At least it was showed Silver was planning on facing the Indigo League, Eusine just looked around Burned Tower and had a quick sighting of Suicune. Eusine's first time meeting Suicune thus developing his obsession sounds like a much more interesting story, they could have even retold the Legendary Dog's creation there.
1. The Chase
2. The Challenger
3. The Lake of Rage
4. The Legacy
5. The Reawakening
6. The Adventure

Well, Giovanni has cemented his place as my favorite villainous leader. A weaker leader would have made excuses rather than taking responsibility for Team Rocket's defeat and resolving to do better. I can only hope that Giovanni's comments are foreshadowing that he and Team Rocket will return in future games.

That said, the presence of Looker in Johto at this time did bug me. He's canonically in Sinnoh during the events of GSC, as it is contemporaneous with DPP.

Well, Giovanni has cemented his place as my favorite villainous leader. A weaker leader would have made excuses rather than taking responsibility for Team Rocket's defeat and resolving to do better. I can only hope that Giovanni's comments are foreshadowing that he and Team Rocket will return in future games.

That said, the presence of Looker in Johto at this time did bug me. He's canonically in Sinnoh during the events of GSC, as it is contemporaneous with DPP.
But when does this take place? Silver is seen taking on the Johto League - which we know he doesn't try until after we've encountered him in Kanto, hence after the main game AND aftergame is over.

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Episode 6 doesn't confirm nor debunk anything, imo. They're still 3 nameless pokemon. Those silhouettes could very well be Eevee whose fur was completely burnt off by the fire ( remember guys, they were BURNT, they obviously won't look like eevee by the time the fire is done with them), or unknown pokemon entirely.
They are very clearly meant to not be anything in particular, just "generic nondescript dogs", and don't remotely resemble Eevee because their body structure is too large (especially the legs). I like the theory, but it's pretty much debunked.

Episode 5's dialogue continues the trend of bad writing, but Silver's voice actor kind of got it to work at points.

Episode 6 didn't have horrible dialogue until Eusine's mention of "Shining Rainbow Power" or whatever, but regardless would have worked better without his narration. They should have relied on visual storytelling and kept only a line or two of dialogue from the villagers. I will say that they made this episode work with the limited timeframe better than the others.

Now that we're going in blind, I'm going to guess that one episode will focus on Wally. He disappears for like half the game to go level grind and nab badges before you met up with him at Hoenn's Victory Road. I also pray we don't see Zinnia.

But when does this take place? Silver is seen taking on the Johto League - which we know he doesn't try until after we've encountered him in Kanto, hence after the main game AND aftergame is over.
Ah, that interpretation could work. I had interpreted this as Silver was about to enter Victory Road, where he has his encounter with Ethan/Lyra and abandons his Elite 4 run after losing to his rival. If this scene actually took place much later it would allow for Looker to have concluded his business in Sinnoh and return to Kanto.

Episode 5: The Legacy

I like this episode. There wasn't as much action as the rest of the episodes before this...or any action at all, really. A lot of talking here. We learn a little bit more about Silver's relationship with Giovanni, but not much we didn't really know. What I did like was how this leads on from Episode 2. I don't have much else to say on the content of the episode, since that was mainly it but... Silver running didn't look like the smoothest bit of animation.

EDIT: Silver's voice was kind of weird as well.

Episode 6: The Reawakening

More talking. Again, we don't learn much we didn't know before, but a visual representation was nice. I'm surprised they called "Monoclour ray of light" "Shining Rainbow Power", but oh well. Suicune, Emtei and Raikou looked pretty good in this episode, and we hear Eusine's thoughts. If you're really afraid of a Pokemon though, would you really throw a stone at it? Seems kinda strange.

These two episodes had a lot less action and more talking. The issue is, the talking didn't reveal a whole lot we didn't know already. Oh well, I liked them anyway.

Last edited:
These episodes were not very interesting as it was plot exposition that practically had nothing different from the games. It was nice for it acknowledging Silver as Giovanni's son, given the localization change in the HGSS Celebi event, where they removed that key plot point.

That being said, about the sixth episode... there's something I found nonsensical. Let's recap: a tower burned and three Pokemon died. Ho-oh, a Pokemon that is revered as a deity of sorts in Ecruteak City suddenly shows up, light showers on the tower and three Pokemon appear from the remains on the tower. So... what do they do? Realize the connection between the events and rever the three Pokemon as they were obviously blessed by Ho-oh? Nope. They attack the three Pokemon without a second thought.

Seriously?

Ah, that interpretation could work. I had interpreted this as Silver was about to enter Victory Road, where he has his encounter with Ethan/Lyra and abandons his Elite 4 run after losing to his rival. If this scene actually took place much later it would allow for Looker to have concluded his business in Sinnoh and return to Kanto.
Plus Silver as seen here is far more mellow than he is before Kanto; the point he is in his character development in this seems to be after he starts thinking "y'know maybe I should start not being a dick to my pokemon"

I thought both episodes were nice. 6 was definitely better, although I'm now intrigued by those Pokemon silhouettes. Someone here mentioned it matched up pretty close to
Zygarde 10%
and I think that's a really interesting idea.

Pretty neat. I was going to ignore these but I actually enjoy these much more than the Anime. I like the fact that it is in the game-verse.

Anyone thinking that Giovanni may actually come back?

I think the sixth episode poorly conveyed what actually went down. From what I gathered from game/anime canon, the reason the people attacked Ho-oh is because they wanted to capture it so they can use its miraculous powers for themselves. Ho-oh was disappoint.

I think the sixth episode poorly conveyed what actually went down. From what I gathered from game/anime canon, the reason the people attacked Ho-oh is because they wanted to capture it so they can use its miraculous powers for themselves. Ho-oh was disappoint.
I was satisfied with the lore Generations gave us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)