Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Cetitan can learn Ice Shard I repeat Cetitan can learn Ice Shard
Hopes of usability increasing rapidly :bat:

Not having forced (that is the '!' ones) trainer battles are gonna make speedruns interesting (time Vs exp cutoff)
You say that implying that speedruns don't already ignore every ignorable battle and just go "ha ha X-item go brrr"

Last edited:
The way of earning experience seems to be quite different. The previews have highlighted that there are a lot fewer trainers around (uncertain if they are just spread further apart in the larger open world) and auto-battles also give a lot less experience than traditional battles. Brassius's gym also doesn't have any gym trainers. Just complete the gym trial and you're good to go to challenge the gym leader. So in every way the process of earning experience has slowed down. You can earn exp. (and happiness) from the picnic feature, however.

Considering all these changes, I wonder how the process of leveling up will take place on grander scale. At the very least, if you want to farm materials for good TMs, you won't get massively overlevelled due to heavy use of the auto-battle system.

Cool to see more of Armarouge in battle. Minor detail: its fire ponytail is very bright generally, but looks more charred when terastallized.

I am not surprised that a lot of the mechanics from PLA are not around. Not just because they were developed in parallel, but because there needs to be something to make PLA mechanically distinct from the traditional games, at least if they have plans to make more.

I am not surprised that a lot of the mechanics from PLA are not around. Not just because they were developed in parallel, but because there needs to be something to make PLA mechanically distinct from the traditional games, at least if they have plans to make more.
Well also because PLA was built on a completely different gameplay loop and several of its mechanics (like the statuses and movesets) were tailored specifically for that gameplay loop and wouldn't work on a "mainline" one :P

The way of earning experience seems to be quite different. The previews have highlighted that there are a lot fewer trainers around (uncertain if they are just spread further apart in the larger open world) and auto-battles also give a lot less experience than traditional battles. Brassius's gym also doesn't have any gym trainers. Just complete the gym trial and you're good to go to challenge the gym leader. So in every way the process of earning experience has slowed down. You can earn exp. (and happiness) from the picnic feature, however.

Considering all these changes, I wonder how the process of leveling up will take place on grander scale. At the very least, if you want to farm materials for good TMs, you won't get massively overlevelled due to heavy use of the auto-battle system.
The other side of this is that the level range of a playthrough may be lower, which can be awkward for options that only really show up at high levels (e.g. a mon like Hydreigon that evolves late).

Some returning Pokémon have been confirmed. Namely, PhillyBeatzU relays that Decidueye and Mimikyu are coming back.
So VGC gang is back? Nice.
At 10:25 in this preview, the youtuber claims that they were told by a TPC rep that terastalized pokemon keep their old STAB boost even after losing their original type

Not sure if this was a mistake or if it's true, but it upends what we assumed about how terastal works
Ok, I hope that isn’t true. That would ruin some of the cost mechanic of Terastallization.

Well also because PLA was built on a completely different gameplay loop and several of its mechanics (like the statuses and movesets) were tailored specifically for that gameplay loop and wouldn't work on a "mainline" one :P
I'm referring to gameplay mechanics, not battle mechanics. e.g., people hoping we'd still be able to aim and chuck Pokeballs to catch Pokemon without engaging in battles and dodging/rolling, etc..

Decidueye
tbh this just keeps confirming my theory that every pokemon that received a new form + the actual new mons will be in SV.

It'd be logical on marketing perspective. People will be waiting to try their new shiny toys in VGC/BSS, + it also gives people more of a reason to buy LA if they haven't.

Though... that'd mean Enamorous would be in the game...

Which means... this is going to be back...
genies of healthy meta.jpg

tbh this just keeps confirming my theory that every pokemon that received a new form + the actual new mons will be in SV.

It'd be logical on marketing perspective. People will be waiting to try their new shiny toys in VGC/BSS, + it also gives people more of a reason to buy LA if they haven't.

Though... that'd mean Enamorous would be in the game...
I also thinks this backs up the theory that all Pokémon with Hisuian forms are coming back in some form, but I am not sure about the other genies. After all, PLA had Regigigas but no Regis. So there's precedent of GF breaking legendary families.

Ok, I hope that isn’t true. That would ruin some of the cost mechanic of Terastallization.
I assume that the choice you make when teambuilding is whether or not you want to change your typing to surprise would be counters, or want to crank up STAB damage. Does Dracovish choose Water tera so it can one shot Ferrothorn with Fishious Rend, or does it go for a Grass tera so it can bop Seismitoad?

I assume that the choice you make when teambuilding is whether or not you want to change your typing to surprise would be counters, or want to crank up STAB damage. Does Dracovish choose Water tera so it can one shot Ferrothorn with Fishious Rend, or does it go for a Grass tera so it can bop Seismitoad?
Eh not really.

Thing is, as we know it, the "choice" you do is
- Do I lose my 2nd stab (if present) to get a 200% stab on the other
- Do i lose both stabs to get a new type and new regular stab

If you *keep* the old stabs, the opportunity cost of defensive teralize becomes much smaller as you arent ruining your damage output anymore with your former stabs and you can have pokemon acquire basically triple stab. Or 4 if you're Dhelmise.

Es: in your example, Dracovish would always go Grass, because it *still* demolishes Ferrothorn while now walling it and being immune to Leech Seed.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
"This time, there are no restrictions. All players can have all hair styles or wear whatever clothes they want regardless of the look they started with at the beginning of the game; every trainer has access to everything." - Serebii

Its a shame the clothes themselves seem a bit restrictive but MAN am I excited for the customization in this game

I can see it arguably being a good thing. As we assumed it worked, the cost here actually meant the optimal play would almost always have been to have a monotype Pokemon use the mechanic losslessly. Making the mechanic give you +1 STAB boost to that type regardless of how you use it ought to introduce more variety.

I can see it arguably being a good thing. As we assumed it worked, the cost here actually meant the optimal play would almost always have been to have a monotype Pokemon use the mechanic losslessly. Making the mechanic give you +1 STAB boost to that type regardless of how you use it ought to introduce more variety.
It also means that the super-STAB thing everyone in this thread's been so focused on is probably the worst way to use it.

It also means that the super-STAB thing everyone in this thread's been so focused on is probably the worst way to use it.
Well not necessarly, I mean, you're still looking at the potential of making certain sweepers (Expecially choiced or mono attacking ones like weavile, shifu, or aforementioned dracovish) even harder to wall. It doesn't look much, but turning 3hkos in 2hkos means you can't switch into them like ever.

My main gripe is that if such claim is true, then I can actually see much more reasoning for smogon axing it at least from singles.
Doubles, prolly not, considering differently from Dynamax this doesnt seem to get arbitrary immunityes to everything that could prevent the pokemon from doing its things.

That’s exactly why I don’t like you keeping your old STAB.
With what we originally thought, if you used Barraskewda, you’d have to make the choice of eliminating Ferrothorn with STAB CC and lose Water STAB, or keep Barraskewda a Water type so you can preserve its Water STAB.
If you do keep your old STABs, then that just means there isn’t as much consideration for offensive Pokemon besides saving your Terastallizing for something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)