Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 128 Atk / 144 SpA / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
When one of my favorite pokemon came back with the DLC, I knew I had to make a team featuring them. I originally had the special attacking variant with dark pulse over sucker punch, but having a second priority user in the team and a better calyrex-shadow counter seemed better. Knock off is the main attacking move in this set, and it lets yveltal stop xerneas from using geomancy. Since most geoxerns dont run max speed, this spread lets yveltal outspeed and knock off, and then dynamax max airstream kills standard geoxern 75% of the time if knock off had a minimum roll (100% if rocks are up or knock off had a roll higher than the lowest 5). The given evs also allow yveltal to outspeed jolly zacian at +1 and OHKO with max flare after stealth rock damage.

:zacian-crowned:
Zacian-Crowned @ Rusted Sword
Ability: Intrepid Sword
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Behemoth Blade
- Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat
Just a standard all out attacking zacian-c, dual stab to kill dragons, fairies and yveltal, close combat deals with steel types not named necrozma DM, and psychic fangs is a great surprise to hit poison types, most notably eternatus, but I'm thinking about switching it to wild charge or a status move. Jolly zacian also outspeeds the rare scarf dracovish and modest calyrex, but I don't rely on that to check caly.

:ditto:
Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Transform
This little boy is what keeps me from being swept by mostly anything, just like every other ditto. They are basically the glue that allows HO teams to exist and there is no description I can give to its moveset other than it is one of the prime candidates for dynamaxing along with xerneas and yveltal.

:xerneas:
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 168 Def / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
Standard geoxern, weaken its checks and sweep. Now made stronger by dynamax, having a 87.5% chance of OHKOing zacian with +2 max lightning after stealth rock. This is another pokemon I can't describe the set too well because its just another standard moveset everyone knows about, fairy aura stab moonblast kills pretty much anything that doesnt resist it and thunder and focus blast are coverage options. Xern is also good for killing opposing yveltal when unboosted, resisting one move and saving itself to sweep later.

:giratina-origin:
Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Defog
- Dragon Claw
- Shadow Sneak
The chosen defogger of the team. There is no speed investment since the base 90 is so crowded anyway, so the ev spread is there to survive the 2HKO from modest kyogre water spout, and poltergeist is a new toy that lets giratina run a viable physical set, using shadow sneak to OHKO calyrex-shadow. Dragon claw is a secondary stab that most notably hits chansey and blissey and is preferred over outrage to let it switch out to defog later if needed.

:dialga:
Dialga @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
I chose dialga over necrozma DM as a stealth rock setter because of its bigger offensive presence and the ability to OHKO quagsire with draco meteor at any spatk stage courtesy of unaware, letting xerneas and zacian run freely. Fire blast is a great move to eliminate opposing steels, and the given ev spread lets it both outspeed and OHKO adamant excadrill and survive a jolly excadrill earthquake lacking life orb and OHKO in return. Toxic puts anyone it can't beat in a timer and stealth rock doesn't need explanations. In this highly volatile metagame, I ran into regieleki a few times, and draco meteor has a 81.3% chance to OHKO them at -2.

Thank you for reading all the way until here, and I know the team needs adjustments, I just don't know what to change which is why I came here in the first place. Feel free to change anything you like if it makes the team better.

From what i see this team is amazing except for Giratina. I haven't found use for him in the games I played with the team. Otherwise everything else is amazing. I recommend scarf kyogre or calyrex shadow. Both if these mons would work much better than giratina. Also Eternatis is also a good option for this team.

From what i see this team is amazing except for Giratina. I haven't found use for him in the games I played with the team. Otherwise everything else is amazing. I recommend scarf kyogre or calyrex shadow. Both if these mons would work much better than giratina. Also Eternatis is also a good option for this team.
But without giratina wouldnt HDB ho-oh be better for its ability to defog and imposterproof zacian? Also id like to stay away from calyrex if possible since everyone has so many checks I cant even sweep with a +2 impostered ditto. And which eternatus set would you recommend?

But without giratina wouldnt HDB ho-oh be better for its ability to defog and imposterproof zacian? Also id like to stay away from calyrex if possible since everyone has so many checks I cant even sweep with a +2 impostered ditto. And which eternatus set would you recommend?
Since you have rocks yourself it is not great to have defog. And you already have a way to check Zacian with ditto. And if you run eternatus I recommend
Eternatus @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Toxic/Toxic Spikes
Timid is to make sure you outspeed max speed kyogres not running scarf. Dynamax Cannon is for a stab move that does good damage and flamethrower is to beat Zacian and Zamazanta. Toxic/Toxic Spikes is for switch-ins for others and if running toxic it is a good move to hit if you think they are going to switch. Toxic Spikes make your work a lot easier but makes it harder to keep if the opponent has a defoger. Yveltal defogs can be countered by Zacian, but Ho-Oh with Defog is not able to be stopped by your team. Also I recommend running Grass Knot instead of thunder on Xernes to deal with quag, Groudon, and Kyogre.

Since you have rocks yourself it is not great to have defog. And you already have a way to check Zacian with ditto.
Firstly, this isnt a hazard stacking team, so what is the problem with defog? And second, I said a way to imposterproof my own zacian since ditto cant imposter opposing ditto

Since you have rocks yourself it is not great to have defog. And you already have a way to check Zacian with ditto. And if you run eternatus I recommend
Eternatus @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Toxic/Toxic Spikes
Timid is to make sure you outspeed max speed kyogres not running scarf. Dynamax Cannon is for a stab move that does good damage and flamethrower is to beat Zacian and Zamazanta. Toxic/Toxic Spikes is for switch-ins for others and if running toxic it is a good move to hit if you think they are going to switch. Toxic Spikes make your work a lot easier but makes it harder to keep if the opponent has a defoger. Yveltal defogs can be countered by Zacian, but Ho-Oh with Defog is not able to be stopped by your team. Also I recommend running Grass Knot instead of thunder on Xernes to deal with quag, Groudon, and Kyogre.
The ev spread is wrong, it should be 208 hp 252 Spd and 44 speed with a calm nature. Also, grass knot on Xerneas is so bad because moon blast/ max starfall does enough to them already. Toxic should be run for ho-oh/ defensive yveltal and can cripple anything not immune. toxic spikes are not "harder to keep" because etern can set up the toxic spikes multiple times due to its excellent defensive utility.

edit: I just read this post and I have to mention how you said that because he has rocks you should not have defog. This is completely untrue and shows and extreme lack on understanding of the hazard wars. Conceding ur own rocks for theirs is a very normal and common thing that is done multiple times in most game you play.

Last edited:
Yeah. jerryl309 hit it spot on. Conceding your own rocks for your opponents rocks are sometimes really important.

I chose dialga over necrozma DM as a stealth rock setter because of its bigger offensive presence and the ability to OHKO quagsire with draco meteor at any spatk stage courtesy of unaware, letting xerneas and zacian run freely. Fire blast is a great move to eliminate opposing steels, and the given ev spread lets it both outspeed and OHKO adamant excadrill and survive a jolly excadrill earthquake lacking life orb and OHKO in return. Toxic puts anyone it can't beat in a timer and stealth rock doesn't need explanations. In this highly volatile metagame, I ran into regieleki a few times, and draco meteor has a 81.3% chance to OHKO them at -2.
I would still run NDM. NDM allows for you to check zacian-c. You currently have 0, maybe ditto, checks for zac-c. Allows running max def NDM helps build a little stall.
Necrozma-Dusk Mane @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Morning Sun
- Sunsteel Strike
- Knock Off
And finally:
Don't listen to Blazer50030. Thunder is much much better than grass knot. D-max Starfall 2OHKO's Quag and Groudon, Thunder for kyogre as drizzle makes it so you can't miss. Thonk

Hope this helps. Respond with any questions, concerns, comments.

:)

Don't listen to Blazer50030.
Yeah, I didnt take in their suggestions.

I understand the importance of NDM, but wouldnt running them slow my momentum too much? As a side note, I swapped giratina for pp staller gothitelle which made games against bulkier teams far easier, especially since goth can easily trap and remove ho-oh. But I am missing defog support, so should I swap them for ho-oh and make a balance team with ho-oh and NDM?

NDM will not slow down your momentum at all. It slows down your opponents momentum while boosting yours.

I would switch gothitelle out especially with the prevalence of dark types cuz calyrex-s is dumb. So yeah, take out gothitelle for Ho-Oh.

Ho-Oh @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Toxic
- Defog
- Whirlwind

There's a few more too. But I would 99% run that one.

Ainzcrad

Smile of the Orchid
is a Tiering Contributor
So after reading the discussion here i kinda wanted to help out and give my thoughts on this team, where i change sometimes based on my experience so just take my words as a grain of salt incase u disagree with my though process.

:dialga: -> :necrozma_dusk_mane:
Necrozma dusk mane just outclasses dialga by alot. The reason for this is that dialga lacks the bulk+offensive to do smh in a tier like ubers. And not to mention the fact that zacian exists now meaning even tho ur a physically defensive answer to alot of things u cant do anything vs the second/best in the tier. While it also helps with ur super annoying matchup vs the likes of xerneas.

:giratina: -> :eternatus:
Ur kyogre matchup as it is now is 0, since giratina o isnt able to hold it off long enough till it starts breaking everything on entire team. Not to mention the fact that eternatus helps out vs the likes of ho-oh/giratina. Also checks off alot of things of the dragon sweepers of the tier, the reason for that is the fact that eternatus insane speed tier sitting at 130 base speed not forcing to u run max speed to even speedtie with dragons like, :zekrom: , :kyurem_white: , :reshiram:

There also a few set changes i would make:
:yveltal:
Yveltal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
The reason for this is that u have 2 dynamax pokémon on ur team (that being xerneas and yveltal). Another thing thats really worrying is the fact that calyrex shadow goes kinda crazy without this slight change in sets giving ur opponent a much easier time breaking down ur team as if its nothing.

These will be less in detail since there only 2 changes i would make that being:
- Subsitute over focus blast on xerneas -> Otherwise ditto beats u down way easier with xerneas in there endgame and there isnt anything that u would hit that thunder couldnt anyways+it helps u for example outplay the likes of toxic/thunder wave from mons like giratina/lugia way easier
-On Zacian-Crowned there 2 options i personally i would think of, either run psychic fangs but on adamant 4 attacks zacian or jolly sd zacian with behemoth blade+cc+wild charge personally for this team i would go the adamant zacian route so etern is a bit easier to break down.

The Team

Hope i somewhat helped u with ur progress in building this team and hope to see u later!

Hope i somewhat helped u with ur progress in building this team and hope to see u later!
Thanks for the rate, I just have some questions about the updated team.

Firstly, Zacian. Some days after I posted this thread, I swapped psychic fangs for substitute on jolly zacian to help against ditto and status and I really enjoyed the change, but Im not discarding adamant right off the bat. One thing I will say though, wouldnt it be better to run an agility set with a little more bulk if I choose to run adamant?

About yveltal, I know this completely shifts their role into a defensive mon to check special attackers that dont hit them with SE damage, but why did you drop sucker punch completely? Is foul play enough to deal with calyrex?

And finally necrozma, I can see you just copied the reccomended set on the smogon page, but I never understood why this set runs EQ and twave. Im thinking about running sunsteel strike and twave/knock off, since my only other user of knock off got a new role in your rate. Could this work and why does smogon prefer using eq?

So after reading the discussion here i kinda wanted to help out and give my thoughts on this team, where i change sometimes based on my experience so just take my words as a grain of salt incase u disagree with my though process.

:dialga: -> :necrozma_dusk_mane:
Necrozma dusk mane just outclasses dialga by alot. The reason for this is that dialga lacks the bulk+offensive to do smh in a tier like ubers. And not to mention the fact that zacian exists now meaning even tho ur a physically defensive answer to alot of things u cant do anything vs the second/best in the tier. While it also helps with ur super annoying matchup vs the likes of xerneas.

:giratina: -> :eternatus:
Ur kyogre matchup as it is now is 0, since giratina o isnt able to hold it off long enough till it starts breaking everything on entire team. Not to mention the fact that eternatus helps out vs the likes of ho-oh/giratina. Also checks off alot of things of the dragon sweepers of the tier, the reason for that is the fact that eternatus insane speed tier sitting at 130 base speed not forcing to u run max speed to even speedtie with dragons like, :zekrom: , :kyurem_white: , :reshiram:

There also a few set changes i would make:
:yveltal:
Yveltal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
The reason for this is that u have 2 dynamax pokémon on ur team (that being xerneas and yveltal). Another thing thats really worrying is the fact that calyrex shadow goes kinda crazy without this slight change in sets giving ur opponent a much easier time breaking down ur team as if its nothing.

These will be less in detail since there only 2 changes i would make that being:
- Subsitute over focus blast on xerneas -> Otherwise ditto beats u down way easier with xerneas in there endgame and there isnt anything that u would hit that thunder couldnt anyways+it helps u for example outplay the likes of toxic/thunder wave from mons like giratina/lugia way easier
-On Zacian-Crowned there 2 options i personally i would think of, either run psychic fangs but on adamant 4 attacks zacian or jolly sd zacian with behemoth blade+cc+wild charge personally for this team i would go the adamant zacian route so etern is a bit easier to break down.

The Team

please dont use psychic fangs PLEASE

Ainzcrad

Smile of the Orchid
is a Tiering Contributor
Thanks for the rate, I just have some questions about the updated team.

Firstly, Zacian. Some days after I posted this thread, I swapped psychic fangs for substitute on jolly zacian to help against ditto and status and I really enjoyed the change, but Im not discarding adamant right off the bat. One thing I will say though, wouldnt it be better to run an agility set with a little more bulk if I choose to run adamant?

About yveltal, I know this completely shifts their role into a defensive mon to check special attackers that dont hit them with SE damage, but why did you drop sucker punch completely? Is foul play enough to deal with calyrex?

And finally necrozma, I can see you just copied the reccomended set on the smogon page, but I never understood why this set runs EQ and twave. Im thinking about running sunsteel strike and twave/knock off, since my only other user of knock off got a new role in your rate. Could this work and why does smogon prefer using eq?
Foul play helps u vs the likes on people going hard zacian and y foul play is enough.

Agility zacian isn't worth at all the only thing i would say then is use jolly substitute tbf.

Eq is a prefered move on this so u dont get pp stalled by mons like eternatus but sunsteel knock works Altho twave helps u vs xerneas zacian etc

Eq is a prefered move on this so u dont get pp stalled by mons like eternatus but sunsteel knock works Altho twave helps u vs xerneas zacian etc
About this, I took the liberty of changing NDM spread to 252 hp / 144 def / 112 spe impish to outspeed paralysed jolly zacian. Is the loss in bulk very detrimental or is this new spread good?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)