Post your searing hot takes

igiveuponaname

A face in a cloud no trace in the crowd.
is a Community Contributor
ok, this one im pretty sure that most of you are not going to know anything about, but trust me, in this slightly obscure community im in, this song is largely considered a bop. i, however, find it absolutely terrible, and i need someone to verify that i am not going insane. this is the song:
please, everyone is saying that this song is one of, if not, the best in the series, and i dont know what they are talking about

Haven't played through Dream Team since around the time it came out (never actually owned the game till recently) but this song was always one of my favourites that I would listen to every now and then

So about English writing

A spelling reform would be great. I speak other languages too and I genuinely never wonder about how to write something in them because there are clear rules. In German, we have a fixed way to write every syllable. In Serbian, every letter is a sound, so you literally write as you speak (albeit I really don't like Cyrillic, it confuses me a lot as so much of it looks like Latin but isn't, genuinely prefer to write in Latin with Hatscheks)

English though? I have no idea how to write jack shit. If it wasn't for autocorrect, I don't think my posts would be intelligble, despite me speaking English rather proficiently

A reform would be really cool. Difficult as English is spoken all over the globe, but I would like to see the UK, US, India, Australia, Canada and the AU to come together for a reform. I really don't like how school is spelled for example

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Here’s one I’ve been waiting to post for a while now. I genuinely think the second phase of the Nintendo Switch (2021-2024) is better than the first phase of the system (2017-2020). I’m interested to see what people think of this, but as far as I’m concerned, the first phase of the Switch only had a handful of good games that just happened to be really, really good games for the system. The issue with that first phase is that as good as games like BoTW, Mario Odyssey, and Smash Ultimate are, there’s also a lot more underwhelming games that came out around this time to balance things out. “Phase 2” on the other hand gave us more consistent quality, with less instant classics but also less underwhelming games to balance things out.

Here’s one I’ve been waiting to post for a while now. I genuinely think the second phase of the Nintendo Switch (2021-2024) is better than the first phase of the system (2017-2020). I’m interested to see what people think of this, but as far as I’m concerned, the first phase of the Switch only had a handful of good games that just happened to be really, really good games for the system. The issue with that first phase is that as good as games like BoTW, Mario Odyssey, and Smash Ultimate are, there’s also a lot more underwhelming games that came out around this time to balance things out. “Phase 2” on the other hand gave us more consistent quality, with less instant classics but also less underwhelming games to balance things out.
Honestly, I wasn't even that impressed at the by the big names of the early Switch lineup because I felt they were leaving behind part if the series identity that I enjoyed. Looking back, it almost feels like the early period of any other nintendo system but without the excuse of trying out a more extreme hardware gimmick. My favourite major games on the system are either those that bounced back to the established setup (FE Engage, Mario Wonder) or skipped that phase entirely (Metroid Dread).

So about English writing

A spelling reform would be great. I speak other languages too and I genuinely never wonder about how to write something in them because there are clear rules. In German, we have a fixed way to write every syllable. In Serbian, every letter is a sound, so you literally write as you speak (albeit I really don't like Cyrillic, it confuses me a lot as so much of it looks like Latin but isn't, genuinely prefer to write in Latin with Hatscheks)

English though? I have no idea how to write jack shit. If it wasn't for autocorrect, I don't think my posts would be intelligble, despite me speaking English rather proficiently

A reform would be really cool. Difficult as English is spoken all over the globe, but I would like to see the UK, US, India, Australia, Canada and the AU to come together for a reform. I really don't like how school is spelled for example
I read the first sentence and thought this was a IhateletterK post as they are the only other person on Smogon who has ever brought up the topic of spelling reforms. Personally I still do not believe the concept is real and practically I feel like lots of people will not care about a council declaring the new official ways of spelling words according to a single pronunciation and just keep spelling things the same way. Current spellings also retain a lot of etymological information like the history of the letter K and C.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Honestly, I wasn't even that impressed at the by the big names of the early Switch lineup because I felt they were leaving behind part if the series identity that I enjoyed. Looking back, it almost feels like the early period of any other nintendo system but without the excuse of trying out a more extreme hardware gimmick. My favourite major games on the system are either those that bounced back to the established setup (FE Engage, Mario Wonder) or skipped that phase entirely (Metroid Dread).
Off of immediate memory, here's the collective list of games from each phase I would consider notable first-party releases for the Nintendo Switch, not including ports from other systems. Apologies if their release dates aren't exactly in order, I may have some of them mixed up.
  • Phase 1 (2017-2020)
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
    • ARMS
    • Splatoon 2
    • Super Mario Odyssey
    • Kirby: Star Allies
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    • Super Mario Maker 2
    • Yoshi's Crafted World
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Pokémon Sword & Shield
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Last minute, I also decided to include the Mario Party games, but I can't remember when they came out.
  • Phase 2 (2021-2024)
    • Metroid Dread
    • WarioWare: Get It Together!
    • Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
    • Pokémon Legends: Arceus
    • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Booster Course Pass (I consider this to be equal to a new game)
    • Kirby & The Forgotten Land
    • Splatoon 3
    • Pokémon Scarlet & Violet
    • Fire Emblem: Engage
    • Pikmin 4
    • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom
    • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
    • WarioWare: Move It!
I may be missing some games, but I want to see which Phase is/was more popular overall.

I read the first sentence and thought this was a IhateletterK post as they are the only other person on Smogon who has ever brought up the topic of spelling reforms. Personally I still do not believe the concept is real and practically I feel like lots of people will not care about a council declaring the new official ways of spelling words according to a single pronunciation and just keep spelling things the same way. Current spellings also retain a lot of etymological information like the history of the letter K and C.
spelling reforms have been a thing for... probably like every language ever. German had one just 20 years ago, rather big one too

Off of immediate memory, here's the collective list of games from each phase I would consider notable first-party releases for the Nintendo Switch, not including ports from other systems. Apologies if their release dates aren't exactly in order, I may have some of them mixed up.
  • Phase 1 (2017-2020)
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
    • ARMS
    • Splatoon 2
    • Super Mario Odyssey
    • Kirby: Star Allies
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    • Super Mario Maker 2
    • Yoshi's Crafted World
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Pokémon Sword & Shield
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Last minute, I also decided to include the Mario Party games, but I can't remember when they came out.
  • Phase 2 (2021-2024)
    • Metroid Dread
    • WarioWare: Get It Together!
    • Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
    • Pokémon Legends: Arceus
    • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Booster Course Pass (I consider this to be equal to a new game)
    • Kirby & The Forgotten Land
    • Splatoon 3
    • Pokémon Scarlet & Violet
    • Fire Emblem: Engage
    • Pikmin 4
    • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom
    • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
    • WarioWare: Move It!
I may be missing some games, but I want to see which Phase is/was more popular overall.
I've been with the Switch since Day 1 and it's probably the first console generation where I was really a part of the discourse the entire time. My personal opinion on the years is:

2017 > 2022 > 2023 > 2021 > 2019 > 2018 > 2020

2018 was so hated at the time. Kirby was underwhelming on launch, for $60 and 30fps was annoying as well. Then we waited a long time for I think it was Nintendo Labo which I never cared about and most people didn't a week after either, basically just Wii U port after Wii U port, then Smash Bros dominated every Direct which people liked but that was literally it. And oh gee, the first Pokemon game of the generation that had people positing that Pokemon had gone off the deep end, Let's Go. Bad year, only has one real good exclusive IMO.

2020 was pretty similar except I hate it more because it gave me yet another "Paper Mario game" (quotations), and I thought New Horizons kinda blew.

2021 was not that big either technically, but Metroid Dread is such a banger, Bowser's Fury made me change my mind on 3D World (great ass game!!!). I originally ranked it over 2019, but really those are the only two games I really cared about personally. A lot of the games I was looking forward to were not released this year, so it was mostly just those two games. There was some decent third party support too, though.

2019 is such a weird fucking year for me. Because Sword and Shield was my big game and disappointed me, I did not like Three Houses that much, I did not buy Luigi's Mansion 3, etc., but I still count it as pretty quality because I feel like this year just had a good variety and lineup. It was a fun time. Also, Mario Maker 2 I put a shit ton of time into (over 200 hours) and I just always felt like there was new stuff to play.

2023 was great, but it was also a bit disappointing for me. Mostly because while I enjoyed my time with TOTK, I feel BotW left a way bigger impact. Other than that though, I got my new 2D Mario after 11 fucking years. Finally. Holy shit. Honestly, that alone is kind of the biggest reason 2023 is ranked that highly, but also other stuff. Pikmin 4 also is my third favorite Pikmin (which kind of disappointed me, waited so long for that) but it was also a good time overall. Fire Emblem Engage is a Fire Emblem game of all-time, pisses me off that they basically deliberately made a bad story. Metroid Prime Remastered is cool! Definitely a top tier year, if TOTK and Pikmin 4 hit harder for me I think I would have ranked it higher.

2022 is up here for two main reasons. Splatoon and Pokemon. That's kinda it. Splatoon is my favorite franchise, I waited so long for Splatoon 3 and I have dumped literally thousands of hours into it. I love it so much. Legends Arceus is a breath of fresh air, and despite how buggy it is, Scarlet/Violet are also games I loved playing early before the internet became a bitch in my ear telling me it was dogshit. Other stuff includes Kirby Forgotten Land which was also really cool, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is the only Xeno game I've beaten despite owning literally all three. It was a great game, definitely worth a go! So basically, IMO this year had a lot of bangers.

2017 is number one and I don't have to say why. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2 are all in my top 20 games of all-time. Enough said.

spelling reforms have been a thing for... probably like every language ever. German had one just 20 years ago, rather big one too
If people can live their life and spell things the same way before and after a spelling reform with nothing affecting them, did it really matter? If IhateletterK or Cancel cult suddenly became the dictator of the English language at this moment and deleted the letter K or announced that "language" is now spelled "langwage", that doesn't stop people from using words with the letter K or calling it "language" which will likely still happen regardless of any official ruling. The concept of a spelling reform is just a bigger way to argue that your opinion is more official than someone else's.

a lot of people think that european chocolate is better than american chocolate. i actually prefer american chocolate. european chocolate is more subtle, and if you like that, thats ok. i dont. i want my chocolate to slap me in the face, and nothing slaps harder than hersheys all american chocolate. this, and american cheese, are the only things i will ever give the us credit for.

a lot of people think that european chocolate is better than american chocolate. i actually prefer american chocolate. european chocolate is more subtle, and if you like that, thats ok. i dont. i want my chocolate to slap me in the face, and nothing slaps harder than hersheys all american chocolate. this, and american cheese, are the only things i will ever give the us credit for.
alright so look, European chocolate, like Lindt and all that stuff, actually kinda sucks. They burn the cocoa beans because that makes the chocolate always taste the same. I had some chocolate from South Africa, not Mondelez or Nestle bullshit, made by an actual south african company that exports products to Europe. Man that was gooooood. It was so refreshing and fruity, it's chocolate flavor was so complex. It's like comparing Starbucks coffee with coffee from some shop that roasts their own beans and gets it directly from the farmers. Much more expensive but it's not like you'll eat particularly much chocolate anyways, a bear should hold like 2-3 weeks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 7)