Punch some holes 'n' sweep

Alright! I began competitive Pokemon fairly recently. This is my first team and I've used it to a degree of success. I've found that it requires a large amount of prediction to be successful, as one false move can make the difference between a win and a loss. However, when played correctly, it can be a real problem to deal with. Something to note: this team doesn't use entry hazards, as it uses a very direct approach to win games.

The Team in Short

The Team in Detail

Machamp @ Lum Berry (No Guard)

Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
-DynamicPunch
-Stone Edge
-Bullet Punch
-Payback
One of the most underrated Pokemon out there, in my opinion. In a world where a certain fighting Pokemon named Conkeldurr is considered the best bulky fighting out there, why use Machamp? I found that Machamp would better suit the role of a lead, plus it goes very effectively with the "direct" strategy. DynamicPunch confusion hax have also proven to be very valuable to many games, allowing me to eliminate Pokemon that would otherwise attempt to wall me, force a switch, or set up on a different Pokemon, all while simultaneously hitting something really hard. However, it does have one drawback: the ever-so-common Jellicent (or any other Ghost types, for that matter) can easily switch in and proceed to wall me or set up, ultimately achieving a KO. However, from my experience, this is very easy to predict. Most people will send in a DynamicPunch lure, such as Tyranitar, as their lead. This is almost a dead giveaway that they are going to be switching to their Ghost-typed partner. A predicted Stone Edge followed by a Payback has the capability of 2HKOing Jellicent, especially considering that it will *always* attempt a burn, which will then be removed by Lum Berry. Another attractive trait that Machamp possesses as a lead is its bulk. It can take just about any hit from common leads, with the notable exceptions of a Specs-Latios's Draco Meteor, a Life Orb Modest Ninetails's Fire Blast at max damage, and a Choice Specs Modest Politoed's Hydro Pump.

Latios @ Light Clay (Levitate)

Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spe/4 SpD
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Thunder Wave
-Memento
I have found this Pokemon to be extremely useful, not simply as a dual screener, but as a great trick up my sleeve that nobody has so far suspected. It is possible to lead with it, as it more often than not forces a switch due to the fear of a Choice Specs Draco Meteor OHKO. This can allow for easy setup. While this moveset may make this Poke look like taunt bait, how many of you would taunt a Latios as a first reaction? Thunder Wave is preferred to Dragon Pulse as it further cripples the opposing team. As Hydreigon and Metagross are both fairly slow (at least to begin with), the paralyzation can be great in stopping things like Terrakion from cutting a sweep short. Para-hax also work well with Machamp's DynamicPunch if Latios is used as a lead. There are times, however, where this Pokemon has proven utterly useless, so it is first on the chopping block for replacement.

Hydreigon @ Expert Belt (Levitate)

Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Speed/4 HP
-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Fire Blast
This Pokemon can be both a blessing and a curse. Its odd speed tier makes it just slightly slower than a lot of its biggest threats. However, if those are crippled or eliminated, it can unleash havoc. Its excellent coverage and good bulkiness (which can be further heightened by Dual Screens) allow it to at the very least seriously hurt something. Its unique typing also gives it good synergy with Machamp, Metagross, and Jellicent, especially Metagross, though not so much with Chansey or Latios. Using it can require a fair bit of prediction, however, as it will more often than not force a switch. However, this can also be a plus, as it is possible to feign a choice item and then KO a switch-in with a devastating super-effective hit. At the end of the day, however, I would like to emphasize that it is crucial that any potential threats to Hydreigon are crippled or taken care of prior to its use, or else Hydreigon will be the one getting OHKO'd.

Metagross @ Life Orb (Clear Body)

Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbut
-Earthquake
-Agility
Agilitygross has proven to be one of the most valuable assets to this team. With good natural physical bulk and awesome typing, it's easy to scare something out and nab an agility boost. It also synergizes very very well with Hydreigon, as I have found, both defensively and in the aspect that Metagross is capable of eliminating practically all of Hydreigon's threats after an Agility boost. The nice thing about it, though, is that while it can function as a hole-puncher early-on, it can also act as a late-game sweeper just as well, if not better. I opted for Zen Headbut over Ice Punch for better coverage against Fighting Types that would love to hurt Hydreigon and Chansey.

Jellicent @ Leftovers (Cursed Body)

Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe
-Surf
-Will-o-Wisp
-Recover
-Taunt
Standard physical wall. While this team is more offensively inclined, I found that those needs were often met by the Pokemon above. Therefore, I decided to add the Jellicent-Chansey defensive core to my team. Jellicent is great as a taunt user, though it is rather slow, so I found that it required caution against teams that packed faster taunt users. Will-o-Wisp is good for stalling, as well as crippling potential threats to the offensive core of the team. Jellicent's typing allows it to take fighting and bug moves aimed at Hydreigon, as well as fire moves aimed at Metagross. Overall, a good Pokemon to have on any team, it is a great Pokemon on this team.

Chansey @ Eviolite (Natural Cure)

Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Toxic
-Seismic Toss
The pink blob of doom! Chansey has been the MVP of many matches. At first, the sole reason I decided to put it on the team was to eat Draco Meteors from Choice Specs Latios, and it does this job admirably. However, after taking out or crippling any physical threats or boosters, the Egg Pokemon turns into an unbreakable wall, especially if Dual Screens are still active and available for re-use. Another thing I love about Chansey is the fact that it is set-up fodder. This makes double-switching so easy to pull off, allowing for an almost free Agility boost for Metagross or a DynamicPunch to a switch-in's face from Machamp (if it's still in the game). Chansey has become an irreplacable special sponge to this team.

Ending Thoughts/Comments
I've really developed an affinity towards this team, and I've pulled off some pretty impressive victories. However, it has run into particular trouble with both rain and sun teams, sandstorm and hail being less of a problem. My thoughts are to replace Latios. A Scarfed Rotom-W is my first choice, as it would be effective against rain teams, and provide extra coverage with STAB Water and Electric types that are offensively absent from the team. It could also provide an alternate lead, packing Volt Switch, as the team has great diversity, leaving options for switch-ins. Another option could be Scarfed Haxorus, as its raw offensive power can contribute to eliminating threats early on in the game, though having two offensive dragons is redundant and can pose defensive problems. Still, from my experience, eliminating threats outright would be a much safer and useful option than neutralizing them. Feel free to leave constructive criticism/positive feedback, as well as suggestions to replace Latios.

Hey there! Latios is meant to be offensive and not supportive and if you are looking to replace it, Espeon does a great job with Dual screens:
Espeon @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252hp/4def/252spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Hidden Power Fire
-Psyshock

With Magic Bounce, Espeon can bounce back those entry hazards and Espeon is just as fast as Latios. HP Fire allows Espeon to dispose of Pokémon such as Scizor whereas Psyshock is back up plan for taking down Blissey (if something bad happens to Machamp)
This is minor but give Machamp 4 Def EVs instead of 4 Spe EVs and possibly a Brave Nature to utilize Payback to the full.
Regardless, solid team and I hope my rate helps!

Thank you for the tips, bluehoundoom! Concerning Machamp, I definitely see the advantages, and will use those. Concerning Latios, and I can easily see how this may have been lost in the wall of text, as I didn't really emphasize this much, but I was thinking of replacing it with a more offensively-inclined Pokemon. I apologize for this miscommunication. In any case, thank you for the suggestion of using Espeon!

I think you should consider MixMence instead of Hydreigon. MixMence and Machamp can really fuck up a team together. Salamence doesn't have that awkward speed that Hydreigon does and the mix set is a bit unpredictable. He also has amazing synergy with Metagross.

Mence @ Life Orb
Intimidate
64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Sp
Rash / Naive
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Thank you for the suggestion, MacBook! How about this: replacing Latios with something like Mixmence, DDnite, CB/DDHaxorus? While Dual Screens from Latios can be useful at times, running a solid defensive core in Jellicent and Chansey often eliminates the need. Using a Poke stated would definitely aid in punching holes through other teams. I'm personally leaning towards a Haxorus variant on paper, as I have learned from my lurking that it poses a great threat towards rain teams. In any case, though, they would definitely aid in punching holes where it's most needed, and allow other offensive sweepers to effectively complete their jobs better. This could make for a team that has the capability to take hits and dish them out. In any case, I've done enough typing, I should go try these ones out!

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Since you wanted to fake offense with Latios, replacing it with Latias goes out of the window... Then what about replacing memento? IMHO its not very useful since it sacrifices your dual screener to stop a sweep, when T-Wave can do the job quite well. Try replacing it with Dragon Pulse, as it could still screw things over without the -2 nerf from Draco Meteor.

If you wanted to replace Hydreigon, I'd definitely agree with Macbook's MixMence. My additional suggestion would only be to try Moxie in place of Intimidate, as it could enable Mence to pull a sweep once faster threats are removed from the picture

There are quite a few problems that should be taken care of. First of all, Hydreigon is Modest. That means that its Speed is under 300 without a Scarf. You are going to get molested by every other Dragon in the meta. Second of all, that Latios of yours. Sure, it looks great on paper, but its viability is pretty much zero bar none. It's Taunt fodder. When that Gyarados gets up its DD on you after Taunting, you have pretty much nowhere else to go. Thunder Wave? Landorus. U-Turn. You should switch it to a more offensive set with Draco Meteor. Third, your Machamp is begging to get walled. Gliscor doesn't afraid 'a nuthin when it comes to your Machamp. Try Ice Punch over Stone Edge for a better approach. Finally, your Jellicent has Cursed Body. Why? Other than a nice little gimmick to hit people with every once in a while, it serves no useful purpose. Water Absorb is much more useful, working all of the time. And when opposing Jellicents come in, you can't do anything to them except to hope that Will-o-Wisp hits and hope to God that they don't carry Shadow Ball. I also find it helpful to carry Aromatherapy or Heal Bell on your team in the case that something doesn't go as planned. Just my thought.

Thanks for the rates ZhengTann and Legend Leader! @ Zheng, I've been testing out the MixMence in place of both Latios and Hydreigon, and so far it's worked out well in both cases. However, I've found it a lot more useful in place of Latios. Hydreigon is awesome in the fact that it can 1HKO Jellicent, Skarmory, Ferrothorn (even in the rain), and Gliscor, so it's a pretty important part of the team. The speed can get annoying at times, but killing other dragons isn't really the purpose of the mon on the team. Dual Screens can be useful, but very frequently they're not needed when running a solid defensive core in Jellicent/Chansey. @ Legend, while your post is appreciated, you clearly did not take the time to read any of my post, or simply ignored it. I haven't run into any of these problems, even while facing them. Just because there is one Pokemon that can deal with a certain move on a certain Pokemon well, does not mean the set is invalid. That would make every set on every 'mon invalid. Cursed body is there to a dress a problem that you stated above, the fact that Hydreigon is modest. It's too easy to predict an Outrage, come in, disable it, and have a free turn to switch into anything you want and set up. I have done this numerous times to great success. Even if the disable does not go through, there's now a confused opponent that is easy to revenge kill or switch into on something like, say, Metagross, set an Agility up on, and begin to hurt things. Latios is not Taunt bait. DD Gyarados can be stopped short by a Memento before a Taunt, not to mention that Gyarados would have to be mad to switch directly into a Latios for fear of getting hit by a Draco Meteor, allowing for at least one screen to be put up beforehand. Also, because Machamp carries DynamicPunch, that Gliscor you stated is the only thing that can truely wall it. And it can get 1HKO'd by Hydreigon, or 2HKO'd (even factoring in Poison Heal) by Metagross. Also, I used to carry Heal Bell on Chansey, but the oppurtunity to use it without getting switched into by a wallbreaker was pretty much nonexistant. Toxic has seen a lot more use, as once all threats to it are eliminated, Chansey can safely wall out entire teams no problemo without getting stopped by Ghost types. And while you might be thinking "Gengar, there!", Gengar will get one-shot by a Zen Headbut from Metagross or a *ahem* Stone Edge from Machamp, or a Dark Pulse from Hydreigon, though that's only if the other two options aren't available as Gengar packs Focus Blast. Sorry for spouting a bit, but I was the slightest bit ticked off for being accused of "having something look good on paper" when I've already done extensive testing with the team and the person doing the accusing obviously has a very "on paper" view.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)