Metagame Rain in LC

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
I don't know if this was discussed, but abra gets thunder, making it an amazing thunder spammer under rain. With that 20 spa, it probably at least 2hkos most of the meta, and just run energy ball for ground types. Abra seems pretty viable in rain in my opinion.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this was discussed, but abra gets thunder, making it an amazing thunder spammer under rain. With that 20 spa, it probably at least 2hkos most of the meta, and just run energy ball for ground types. Abra seems pretty viable in rain in my opinion.
skillful necrobump 10/10
This thread's a resource, so necrobumping isn't really bad; if anything, it revives the discussion. I'd like to here some other opinions on Abra before I add it to the OP. I personally don't think it's a viable "rain sweeper" per say, as it's more of an all around strong mon.

Well the OP asks if rain is to predictable, and to that I agree. Rain is predictable, but its still hard to work around. It does matter if you know the move set of your opponent, it's more than likely that they'll get atleast one rain dance up.

I feel like blitzle is pretty good with rain, since it can set it, spam thunder. It hits 18 speed, so it can be a fast setter. Plus it can use Lightningrod to soak up ( no pun intended ) electric type attacks or Sap Sipper to take in the grass attacks to threaten rain.

Edit; I will make a set as soon as I can.

Blitzle @ Damp Rock
Ability: Lightning Rod/ Motor Drive
Level: 5
EVs: 20 Def / 196 SpA / 20 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs; 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Volt Switch/ HP Ice
- Substitute/ HP Ice/ T-Wave

This is the rain setter to beat electric types (except chou) that threaten rain setters and sweepers with electric type moves, due to its ability's of Lightning Rod and Motor Drive, which both give it an immuntiy to electric type moves, while boosting a stat (SpA if LR, Spe if MD) so forcing out opposing electric types. It can set up rain, and if fast enough to do so effectively. Plus, for 8 turns you get Thunderspam, which is nice, especially paired with Lightning Rod. Volt Switch is for keeping momentum, while Sub is to stay alive when a new threat comes out, giving you a free rain dance. HP Ice is for ground types, while T-Wave is mostly to cripple opposing rain stoppers. If you want to stop grass types with Sap Sipper, you can change it into a physical set as well.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since all this talk of Thunder has arose, i thought up, what mons gets Thunder?
Aipom, Bidoof, Blitzle, Chinchou, Cranidos, Dratini, Drifloon, Electrike, Elekid, Glameow, Grimer, Helioptile, Koffing, Lickitung, Magnemite, Mankey, Mareep, Meowth, Mime Jr., Munchlax, Nidoran-F, Nidoran-M, Nosepass, Pichu, Porygon, Rattata, Rhyhorn, Shieldon, Shinx, Shuppet, Skitty, Slakoth, Snubbull, Solosis, Staryu, Voltorb, Zigzagoon

Out of all of those, there are some we've already discussed through adn through. As well as others who wouldnt make a good fit using it.

There are some that i see who will benefit from Thunder.
Cranidos can run a mixed set to break open bulky waters who switch into it, seeing as Thunder will get the SF Boost since it has a paralyze chance. Would make a good choice in a Webs + Rain team to help slower more powerful mons ruin the opposition.

Head Games (Cranidos) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 76 Atk / 196 SpA / 212 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Thunder
- Fire Punch

Helioptile can run a more powerful STAB attack and is one of the only Electric types who has U-Turn in LC. This will help it avoid being trapped in my ground types.

Slizard (Helioptile) @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 172 Def / 28 SpA / 92 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Surf
- Glare
- U-turn

Drifloon has Weather Ball combined with Thunder, it's basically a shitty rain Bellsprout at this point. But we can capitalize on this because only Deerling and Deino resist this triple threat. Flare Boost gives a power boost in turn for losing health each turn. It also frees up a slot so we are able to run a final move. (EVs on second set are still sort of experimental)

Fwuante (Drifloon) (M) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 116 HP / 184 Def / 36 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder
- Weather Ball

Blooster (Drifloon) (F) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Flare Boost
EVs: 88 Def / 196 SpA / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Weather Ball
- Thunder
- Destiny Bond / Pain Split

Last edited:
Cranidos can run a mixed set to break open bulky waters who switch into it, seeing as Thunder will get the SF Boost since it has a paralyze chance. Would make a good choice in a Webs + Rain team to help slower more powerful mons ruin the opposition.

Head Games (Cranidos) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 76 Atk / 196 SpA / 212 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Thunder
- Fire Punch
Minor nitpick: Replace Stone Edge with Rock Slide; Sheer Force Rock Slide outclasses Stone Edge in every way. Just as powerful, more accurate, higher PP, no LO recoil.

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre
Duklett might be a gud rdance set, since it can set it up on stuff like Pawn, Foo, and Foonguss. It also gets Defog, if you so like, has two stabs with 30% chance of inflicting effects, and Hydration Rest. Still, it might suffer from the commonness of Chinchou and frens

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Duklett might be a gud rdance set, since it can set it up on stuff like Pawn, Foo, and Foonguss. It also gets Defog, if you so like, has two stabs with 30% chance of inflicting effects, and Hydration Rest. Still, it might suffer from the commonness of Chinchou and frens

Ducklett doesnt want to set up on any of those mons lol. Pawn and Fopo have KO plus both can KO it after it sets up RD bc outsped (if Foo is Fastfoo and im sure Pawn will be hitting 16 so Ducklett has to run Max Speed adn lose out on bulk) Also Foong can hit you up with Spore and then bring in a check and/or counter to handle it. I guess Foong is the one exception there but i wouldnt set up on it since you cant OHKO with Air Slash and you arent escaping Spore.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ducklett can rain dance on Foongus due to hydration, but Ducklett in general wouldn't do too much. Ducklett does hit 25/14/14 for bulk, so it can set up Rain on Fighters and might even be able to switch in on them, and it has the ability to 2HKO these after rocks, but you're better off with Chinchou generally. Chinchou can actually nab momentum, makes your rain team not cry in the face of Scarf Magnemite or Electric types in general, and isn't weak to SR. I guess we can call Ducklett niche for uber fighting weak teams, but it forces you to not run Mantyke. It also can't run defog viably unless you drop Scald.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)