Rain Team

Introduction: This is going to be my first RMT to post on smogon, I'm sorry for any mistakes made in spelling, grammar, etc. I haven't really peaked anywhere on the ladder since it's a little wonky on PS at the moment, but I have 20 wins and 6 losses under my belt with this team in particular. It's one of the funnest teams I've made so far, but I feel like it could use a lot of work still. Any help is appreciated!

First of all I love bears, that's why I have two of them on my team, Ursaring and Beartic. Both of these adorable bears pack a decent punch, but aren't the fastest Pokemon around so that's why I centered Beartic around rain for the most part. As for Ursaring I gave him quick feet to make up for his low speed stat, though I'm not sure if that's the best choice since it takes away a lot of his power. I threw in Liepard for that extra speed and I think it's a nice special sweeper once it gets in a Nasty Plot plus it has unburden which is extra nice! Swanna and Volbeat are my rain setters, and if I might add Swanna does some good work on her own with hurricane. At last is my rain sweeper Ludicolo, kind of standard for a NU rain team, but he works really well with the nice overall coverage and decent special attack.

At a glance

The Physical Thrasher

Beartic (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
-Aqua Jet
-Icicle Crash
-Super Power
-Night Slash

This guy is my Physical attacker, he's got a base attack of 110 which is pretty decent in my opinion. He's sort of my change up after my rain is set up apart from Ludicolo who is my special sweeper. He hits things pretty hard, though it's kind of sad he can't KO a lot of things in one swing. At the moment, his primary job is to do as much damage as he can giving everyone else in the party except Volbeat the chance to finish things off.

His EV spread is maxed out attack to do as much attack as possible, his speed I admit is still a little slow losing to much of the tier that usually carries a scarf. I still have a good time using this guy he can come out swinging, or clean up when things are almost done if the rain is there. I have come to really dislike moves with less than 100% accuracy haha, this is because when I need icicle crash to hit it misses. I'm not sure if I want to trade it out for Ice Punch for the guaranteed hit.

The Other Bear

Ursaring (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Spa)
-Facade
-Close Combat
-Crunch
-Swords Dance

I picked this adorable little bear so I wouldn't have to rely on the rain if my setter got killed, she's really neat with Quick feet which boosts his speed 1.5x I believe. This is a good thing for me because she rapes things that slower than she, but also gets raped by choice scarfed sawk. I do wonder if I need to replace someone on my team to throw out some hazards on the other side since he loses out on a lot of his power with Quick Feet. This also loses to stall as well, which is really disappointing. However, if those things are gone and once I set up one SD I've pretty much just swept the other team. I haven't actually gotten to use her to her full potential because scarf usually ruins what I'm doing.

The set gives the most coverage as possible hitting ghosts, steels, rocks, and punishing everything else with facade.

Catty Shack

Liepard (F) @ Dark Gem
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Nature: Modest(+SpA, -Atk)
-Dark Pulse
-Encore
-Nasty Plot
-Grass Knot

She is one fiesty feline! Boasting a blazing speed of 106 and the ability unburden which doubles her speed as long as she's in play. This pokemon works wonders for me to take out Psychic pokemon such as Musharna, Gardevoir. If I lead with her, I'm taking a huge risk, but a nice reward if all goes well. Whenever I lead with her, people don't usually attack they just set up rocks, that gives me a turn to use encore and nasty plot to destroy whatever is up there. Dark gem boosts dark pulse to a nice level, and activates unburden which allows me to spam dark pulse on everything that comes in doing a nice chunk of damage. Grass knot is somewhat of a filler move for Carracosta, golem, regirock, etc. Encore is a move to take out golem leads so they don't sucker punch me hard, and other things that boost up.

The only bad thing about liepard is the frail defenses and the really shallow movepool. There isn't much coverage for fighting pokemon or other things that make her cringe, she justs hits them with a dark pulse. T-T

The Swanster

Swanna (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid(+Spd, -Atk)
-Rain Dance
-Hurricane
-Surf
-Ice Beam

Alright, this is one of my rain setters Swanna, built with above average speed and access to Hurricane is my only counter for fighting pokemon( I know...). I love her so much though, she does over 50% damage to things with hurricane( bulky garbadors, alomamolas, miltanks). She totally owns Alomamola with her ability Hydration which removes status if rain is up, and takes on Amoongusses like a boss.

Her only drawbacks I've seen are dealing with rotom-fan, and stealth rocks otherwise I found her to be one of my core pokemon for the team.

Buzz Lightyear

Volbeat (M) @Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Nature: Bold(+Def, -Atk)
-Rain Dance
-Encore
-Tail Glow
-Baton Pass

My other rain setter, Volbeat was blessed with prankster given the ability he can set up rain whenever he likes cause he doesn't give a lick! Usually my lead, but often will get snuffed out by a lot of things that's why sometimes I choose liepard or swanna to lead it off. He's my bread and butter to my rain team. Setting up rain, passing off tail glows like no joke to Swanna or Ludicolo depending on who's gonna get hit with what. Encore is one of the best moves to use if something sets up rocks or tries to set up power ups and what not. Taunt is the enemy here, though he ignores that hah and gets something off before he has to switch out. I can count on him all the time to make it rain.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a pineapple duck thing!

Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Nature: Modest(+Spa, -Atk)
-Focus Blast
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Giga Drain

One of the best sweepers when paired with volbeat in my opinion. After one tail glow gets passed to him the opponent either gets swept or forfeits because they know he's a monster to deal with. A superb typing with nice amounts of coverage along with it. Hit things extra hard with a hydro pump in the rain, use ice beam on amoonguss to take him out, giga drain to recover lost hp from the life orb, and focus blast as a filler move. I've had lots of success using this set, which probably many other people have used already. I was thinking about replacing focus miss for rain dance since focus miss isn't really reliable.

Threats

Choice scarf Sawk(maybe fighting pokemon in general)- Well since I don't have any hazards to set up to remove the sturdy he completely destroys my team aside from Swanna, but then he'll just switch out and come back with a SE or something.

Hazards- Stealth Rocks, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, these are pretty dangerous for my team since it makes my team frailer than it already is. I don't have a spinner, and I'm not sure if I want to use Armaldo.

Conclusion

Any help regarding my team would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking for replacements if possible that counter threats that I might face. Again thanks for taking the time to read this thing.

Here is an importable text for the team if you wish to use it: http://pastebin.com/tMm5pUjx

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hey there,

focus blast hits very little on ludicolo. i would actually swap that out for rain dance, which gives you a suitable rain setter and sweeper in one (and occasionally will save you games!). i'd also opt for a timid nature - while the power that modest brings is impressive, you miss out on a ton of pokemon without rain (emboar, jolly samurott, etc) and it can be an advantage to outrun the slower scarfers in rain as well (rotom-s, sawk, etc). you should also use substitute > tail glow on volbeat; while the +3 spa boost is occasionally useful, passing off substitutes - even without rain up - is amazing. it lets you beat absol who could otherwise be very threatening, as well as anything that relies on status to bring you down.

you should consider changing swanna to a life orb subroost set, rather than a rain setter. swanna is admittedly very frail and will probably only be able to set rain once - with subroost, it can abuse the rain and also act as another good absol check, and can also set up over most defensive cores.

i'm really not sure how well liepard and ursaring fit into this team; they seem to be merely thrown on for funsies and don't really fill any unique niche or purpose. there are a ton of viable pokemon that will work well in the rain and help you check sawk in their stead - if i may, i'd like to suggest rain mantine and sr rain seismitoad. mantine is bulky even with a 4/0 spread, and can take advantage of many of people's 'rain checks', like ludicolo. it also gives you a fighting-type resistance, which is really useful for sawk, and is immune to toxic spikes. seismitoad gives you your own SR and helps against scarf rotom-s, which could otherwise be a huge issue with your team, volt switching out on everything. :(

rain dance > focus blast and timid > modest on ludicolo

lo subroost swanna > your current set
swanna @ life orb | hydration
timid nature (+spe, -atk) | 4 hp / 252 spa / 252 spe
surf / hurricane / substitute / roost​
rain mantine > liepard
mantine @ life orb | swift swim
modest nature (+spa, -atk) | 64 hp / 252 spa / 192 spe
hydro pump / air slash / rain dance / ice beam​
sr rain seismitoad > ursaring
seismitoad @ damp rock | swift swim
modest nature (+spa, -atk) | 96 hp / 252 spa / 160 spe
stealth rock / rain dance / hydro pump / earth power​

hope i helped a bit and gl with your team :)

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Although uncommon, Belly Drum Linoone can sweep this team clean and just happens to set up on Volbeat for free. It's not the best counter to Linoone, but I would suggest replacing Liepard with Gurdurr since it can survive a boosted ExtremeSpeed and OHKO back with Drain Punch. On top of that, it's a fantastic mid to late game sweeper, which compliment's this team's ability to break through defensive cores. Gurdurr is also one of the best answers to Absol, which devastates rain teams with its powerful Sucker Punch.

Swanna isn't the most reliable Rain Dance setter since it is extremely frail. I would suggest changing it to the Life Orb set and replacing Ice Beam with Roost, since it doesn't provide any additional coverage except against Rotom-S, which usually has Choice Scarf. Life Orb helps Swanna get crucial OHKOs and 2HKOs with its two great STAB attacks.

To make up for the loss of Damp Rock, you could replace Focus Blast with Rain Dance on Ludicolo. Hydro Pump under the rain hits everything Focus Blast does just as hard, and has higher accuracy.

This team would benefit a lot from a slow Volt Switcher that can bring in its frail sweepers. Probopass fits this role perfectly and can also set up Stealth Rocks to aid your sweepers. It brings valuable Flying and Normal type resists which you currently do not have. Sadly, Probopass would probably have to replace Ursaring, which doesn't really have a place on rain teams.

Lastly, Beartic should be running a Jolly nature in order to outrun Scarf Gardevoir and other Pokemon that sit in that speed tier. It can also outpace max speed Torterra, Exeggutor, and Golurk that do not run a boosting nature, which is very important.

Summary of changes:

Liepard —> Gurdurr
Damp Rock and Ice Beam —> Life Orb and Roost on Swanna
Focus Blast —> Rain Dance on Ludicolo
Ursaring —> Probopass
Jolly nature on Beartic

Beartic @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Icicle Crash
- Night Slash
- Superpower

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch

Swanna @ Life Orb
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Roost
- Surf
- Hurricane

Probopass @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

edit: Probopass doesn't learn Rain Dance; sorry about that, I changed it to the standard defensive set

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice Rain team, and one of the few that use Beartic for that matter! There are a few things that could improve your team though.

First thing would be to give Volbeat an EV spread of 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 Spe in order to be able to switch into Stealth Rock 4 times (as well as tying with other Volbeat/Illumise who invest the same amount in Speed). This is a matter of preference, but Substitute seems to fit better over Tail Glow as well, just so that Volbeat can pass a safety net to your frailer sweepers. Ludicolo should be your other Rain setter/sweeper since it has much better bulk and defensive typing than Swanna does. So Rain Dance and Damp Rock over Focus Blast and Life Orb would be the best choices to take advantage of that fact (and Timid like Zeb said).

Swanna would then have a free move/item slot to fill. The SubRoost set would probably be best for the increase in both power and survivability. As for handling Sawk better, I would change Liepard to Skuntank. Skuntank has better defenses and priority to make up for its lack of speed and power. Also, it has Aftermath to at the very least weaken Sawk/break its Sturdy for one of your Rain sweepers to finish off. The additional Poison coverage makes it easier for you to deal with bulky walls by giving you a chance to Poison them as well. Besides, Liepard doesn't really add to the theme of the team, and you have better ways to abuse Tail Glow boosts in Ludicolo and Swanna (you won't get many chances to Pass them anyways if you want to be able to set up Rain).

While defensively you have weaknesses to Electric and Flying types, your offensive power and Speed should defend you well enough (better than when you face Fighting-types anyways). Sadly, Scarf Zebstrika and Gardevoir are the bane of your Rain team, though Skuntank at least helps with one of them. A Scarf Rotom-S with Hidden Power Ground over Ursaring may not completely mitigate your Electric weakness, but it does help lessen your Fighting and Flying weaknesses instead. All your sets are missing those extra 4 EVs that can be added to a defensive stat, even if it usually won't mean anything to you (Swanna wants it in Def of course, and the rest prefer it in HP). As for hazards, you'll just have to use offensive pressure to limit their set up, as well as some cleverly timed Taunts from Skuntank if you choose to use it.

There are things I want to add, but I didn't feel I needed to since Zeb and FLCL already beat me to it (I don't feel like erasing everything I wrote though). Their ideas are very good, though different from my own. I guess you'll just have to see what fits your playstyle best. :/

Changes:

Volbeat: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 Spe; Substitute>Tail Glow
Ludicolo: Rain Dance>Focus Blast; Timid>Modest
Swanna: SubRoost>Rain 3 Attacks
Rotom-S>Ursaring
Skuntank>Liepard

Rotom-S @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
-Volt Switch
-Air Slash
-Thunderbolt/Thunder
-Hidden Power Ground/Trick

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 24 HP/ 252 Atk / 232 Spd
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Spa)
-Sucker Punch
-Taunt
-Poison Jab/Crunch
-Pursuit/Crunch

Good Luck and I hope I helped! :)

Hi Lawrence! I really like this rain team, but Liepard and Ursaring don't seem to do that much for it. Instead of Liepard I think that Musharna would be a suitable replacement. Musharna can act as a bulky rain setter for you, as it can Baton Pass to get a sweeper in for free. Musharna also solves your fighting type problem, as it is a hard counter to Sawk, and nearly always beats Gurdurr.

Ursaring isn't a great fit either, since it doesn't really contribute to the goal of the team very much (a beartic sweep). You also lack entry hazards, which are very important for this team to function. I think the Seismitoad Zebraiken suggested will fill that role perfectly.

I would also suggest Swords Dance > Night Slash on Beartic. Night Slash, especially unSTABed, offers very little coverage. While Swords Dance can allow Beartic to sweep easier.

Rain Dance and Timid on Ludicolo has also already been said, but it a great suggestion nonetheless, since a Rain Boosted hydro pump hits incredibly hard.

tl;dr
Rain Dance Musharna > Liepard in order to get beartic in easily
Seismitoad > Ursaring for hazards and a back up sweeper
Rain Dance and Timid > Focus Blast and Modest on Ludicolo in order to be more self sufficient
Swords Dance > Night Slash on Beartic in order to sweep easier

Beartic @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Icicle Crash
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Musharna @ Damp Rock
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature Nature
- Rain Dance
- Baton Pass
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Rain Dance

Thanks again guys!
@Raseri, Wow, I completely forgot that Beartic had access to Swords dance thanks for pointing that out! I'll try to implement mushy in too.

@WhiteDMist, thank you for the suggestions, I'm sure the volbeat EV spread will come in handy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)