Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to ask, how are you guys dealing with Specs Yanmega? Everytime one pops up I almost always have to sac something.
There really isn't a counter. Munchlax can kind of take a hit and fire back with Rock Slide or something. You mostly gotta rely on outspeeding or strong priority from there (CB Entei with Espeed, etc)

Tinted Lens. I basically have to switch something in to let it die and then either Entei or Licky forces it out or Sceptile kills it. Annoying though. Also I've ditched my alts and now I'm laddering on my main! (hence the question)

Just wanted to ask, how are you guys dealing with Specs Yanmega? Everytime one pops up I almost always have to sac something.
If its Tinted Lens, then you usually have to fodder out something then come in to outspeed and OHKO. If its Speed Boost... I just hope I have something that can take the hit ^^;

In other words, Yanmega's pretty broken.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Regice can absorb its Bug Buzz and retaliate with a STAB Ice Beam.
I think Regice is also good for Venomoth and Lilligant, too, being able to either Psych Up their boosts or Thunder Wave to neutralize them. You would need something to take the sleep, though, unless you sac Thunder for Sleep Talk, which may not be a bad idea.

While Regice may be able to counter the big threats, its not really a huge threat in the metagame, being an Ice type and all that. While Regice does have walling capabilities, its SR weakness plus a multitude of other weaknesses makes it hard for the iceberg. Also, most Yanmega/Lilligant/Venomoth carry HP Fire, which may not be very powerful, but will take out huge chunks after one or two Quiver Dances. Not saying Regice is a bad poke, it just doesn't fit well outside of a hail team.

The best counter I use against Specs Yanmega is a Focus Sash Speed Boost Yanmega. Speed Boost Yanmega can OHKO Specs with Air Slash, and as long as it keeps its sash, SB Yanmega can opt for an all out offense, instead of protect and attack. If the Specs Yanmega switches out... well, then I got my speed boost, and can attack the swapped in pokemon, who might resist Air Slash, but might not resist the other coverage moves. While it isn't as strong as Specs Yanmega, it can outrun most of the meta-game, and tear it apart.

Honestly, I think Yanmega is going to get BL'd from the RU tier.

The best counter I use against Specs Yanmega is a Focus Sash Speed Boost Yanmega. Speed Boost Yanmega can OHKO Specs with Air Slash, and as long as it keeps its sash, SB Yanmega can opt for an all out offense, instead of protect and attack. If the Specs Yanmega switches out... well, then I got my speed boost, and can attack the swapped in pokemon, who might resist Air Slash, but might not resist the other coverage moves. While it isn't as strong as Specs Yanmega, it can outrun most of the meta-game, and tear it apart.

Honestly, I think Yanmega is going to get BL'd from the RU tier.
I fully agree with all of this.

One word for yanmega : Soundproof. Sadly, the amount pokemon that have the ability kind of suck... but still, electrode and mr. mime do fine. Mr. Mime having a decent SpD to take an air slash if it miss predicts, and Elecrode being able to take any move (barr maybe an HP ground), and easily revenging him. If bastiodon has his or ever gets his dream world soundproof, then he'll do great, being immune to bug buzz and resisting even tinted lense air slash (give him a ballon for the odd hp ground i guess?)

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i realize that claydol is a suckish spinner, but no one thinks of blastoise. blastoise is the fucking master rapid spinner of ru. it also happens to get haze and roar. guess what? Something that spins all of those annoying entry hazards away and counters baton pass. how amazing!

i realize that claydol is a suckish spinner, but no one thinks of blastoise. blastoise is the fucking master rapid spinner of ru. it also happens to get haze and roar. guess what? Something that spins all of those annoying entry hazards away and counters baton pass. how amazing!
"no one thinks of blastoise"

I'm pretty sure Blastoise is like around top 5 in usage in RU. He's the most commonly used spinner and the most commonly used bulky water by far. So what you meant to say is that EVERYONE thinks of Blastoise.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT GUYS KNOW WHAT WOULD BE SO COOL? YANMEGA. I CAN'T BELIEVE NOBODY THOUGHT OF THAT YET.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT GUYS KNOW WHAT WOULD BE SO COOL? YANMEGA. I CAN'T BELIEVE NOBODY THOUGHT OF THAT YET.
Dude that...and Venomoth. I really just wish people would start using Venomoth. I mean, I realize Butterfree is a crappy Quiver Dancer but nobody thinks of Venomoth! It's got Quiver Dance and Sleep Powder and Bug Buzz...crippling and sweeping in the same set how amazing!

But anyway, to get serious, when the new usage stats and the inevitable Pokemon leave (Gorebyss, Venomoth, Cresselia probably), and we finally get to suspect testing or whatever, I think Yanmega is the only things that needs to go. Cresselia is bad too if it somehow stays.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves lol. Suspect tests could be months away so I'm not getting my hopes up. But when the time does come then Yanmega would be my #1 nomination. Venomoth and Cresselia comes a close second and third. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the whole current metagame revolves around countering these three and the average team consists of: SpDef Wall, SpDef check, Cress counter, ESpeed Entei (essentially another check...), a sweeper of your own, filler (or spinner).

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves lol. Suspect tests could be months away so I'm not getting my hopes up. But when the time does come then Yanmega would be my #1 nomination. Venomoth and Cresselia comes a close second and third. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the whole current metagame revolves around countering these three and the average team consists of: SpDef Wall, SpDef check, Cress counter, ESpeed Entei (essentially another check...), a sweeper of your own, filler (or spinner).
pretty sure if that was the case we wouldn't have a problem with cress, venomoth, and yanmega, lol.

I don't think we'll ever GET suspect tests TBH. This is the NU of 5th gen, and that didn't get suspect tests. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this tier, but still, we really can't give the boot to anything besides stuff that goes UU, so why do we continue to talk about it?

I don't think we'll ever GET suspect tests TBH. This is the NU of 5th gen, and that didn't get suspect tests. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this tier, but still, we really can't give the boot to anything besides stuff that goes UU, so why do we continue to talk about it?
This isn't the NU of 5th gen. NU still hasn't been made for 5th gen yet. It'll be established once this tier is dealt with by the higher ups.

This isn't the NU of 5th gen. NU still hasn't been made for 5th gen yet. It'll be established once this tier is dealt with by the higher ups.
Oh... I thought it was. Well then yes, when (hopefully) we get them, I'm voting for Yanmega and Cress to GTFO. Of course, then everyone would have Lilligant... So we would end up just banning Quiver Dance. And I wouldn't mind seeing that gone.

Oh... I thought it was. Well then yes, when (hopefully) we get them, I'm voting for Yanmega and Cress to GTFO. Of course, then everyone would have Lilligant... So we would end up just banning Quiver Dance. And I wouldn't mind seeing that gone.
Lilligant is easy to counter. Bouffalant or anything with Sap Sipper really.

I find it really funny that most of the major threats in Smogon's RU tier were either banned or moved up from Pokemon Online's LU tier (the ru equivalent) to their UU tier.

Stuff like:
Cresselia
Sharpedo
Yanmega

Yea Boarbeque, because EVERYONE carries Eviolite Deerling, Bouffalant, or Stantler. It may be easy for Bouffalant, but its just not used, and I'm pretty sure most Bouffalants carry Reckless anyway. SleepTalk Heracross counters Darkrai, but you don't see them in Ubers do you?

Scarf Vital Spirit Primeape is the #1 100% Darkrai counter lol.

Back to RU, Sap Sipper Miltank is running around. And Sap Sipper Pokemon are great counters for Lilligant and will get more use if other Quiver Dancers get banned imo.

About Sap Sipper, the distribution is just horrible. They might be seen more if Lilligant becomes top Quiver Dancer, but there is:
Deerling, Marill, Azurill, Blitzle- lol
Sawsbuck- Currently UU, but it will come down soon. Without Drought though, I'm not sure how much of an impact it will make
Bouffalant- Just not used a lot
Azumarill- UU, and will stay that way
Girafarig, Stantler- Yea... We'll see a TON of those -.-
Miltank- Ok, that one's actually good
Zebstrika- Unreleased, so until it is released it really can't be considered a threat. (I can see it working now that I thought about it)

So we're stuck with:
Bouffalant and Miltank.

And Bouffalant is iffy. Sure, its got nice defenses, but Lilligant carry other moves besides Grass type moves. And its just easy to deal with and play around if your opponent has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)