Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd share my Yanmega set, it's a little different from normal but it seems to do alright or my purposes.

Yanmega @Expert Belt
Speed Boost
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-Giga Drain
-Ancient Power/HP Rock

I decided to go with Speed Boost because, while Tinted Lens does hit harder, I was constantly getting outsped by almost everything unless I passed some sort of boost onto Yanmega. I switch into something that can't touch me to get a free boost and force it then, after that Yanmega will outspeed most of the tier and is really only threatened by priority users. While it doesn't hit for very strong NFE moves, it has decent coverage except for the odd Steel type.
Speed boost isn't that uncommon. and take off that expert belt.

Expert Belt? What kind of idiot is going to be letting you get super effective hits when your Yanmega is out?
Well with four different type to choose from it's not too hard to get a SE hit on them. He can hit 24 (if I counted correctly) of the top 35 threats for SE damage with the moveset I'm using, the rest he hits for neutral damage.

Yanmega
Cresselia
Honchkrow
Sharpedo
Blastoise
Venomoth
Porygon-Z
Entei
Rhyperior
Gallade
Claydol
Alakazam
Durant
Moltres
Electivire
Galvantula
Uxie
Clefable
Sceptile
Gligar
Umbreon
Ferroseed
Dusknoir
Krookodile
Quagsire
Manectric
Cofagrigus
Lilligant
Gastrodon
Drapion
Gorebyss
Primeape
Typhlosion
Omastar
Steelix

Italicized = Super Effective
Bold = Neutral

Yes, I know some of these are on their way and new Pokemon are on their way in. Yes, I know that someone wouldn't leave all these Pokemon in on Yanmega. It's just an example.

Speed boost isn't that uncommon. and take off that expert belt.
Well running four attacks with Speed Boost and Expert Belt isn't all that common, that's why I posted it.

You're still better of going with Life Orb in probably every case. But anyway, the Speed Boost+4 Attacks is indeed a viable strategy, because more often than not your opponent will switch and you'll get a free turn of speed boosting.

You're still better of going with Life Orb in probably every case. But anyway, the Speed Boost+4 Attacks is indeed a viable strategy, because more often than not your opponent will switch and you'll get a free turn of speed boosting.
I figured Expert Belt might keep him alive longer? I just started using it, so I'm not sure yet, I just wanted to share it and see what you thought without it getting shot down right away.

Also, any idea when they'll update the servers? I want to start trying out some new Pokes.

If you're looking for a "little different" from the normal Yanmega, use a physical one just to be a troll. In all reality, Yanmega only has two viable sets, Tinted Lens Specs and Speed Boost Life Orb, with the odd but not unseen Speed Boost Specs set. It's such a pain having extremely potent special sweepers in Yanmega and Porygon-Z and little in terms of special walls.

So about snorlax

The only thing that tends to deal with specs yanmega in my team is curse lax with fire punch

Detailed Result:
252 +1 SpAtk Yanmega Bug Buzz vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Snorlax: 31.68% - 37.4%
4 hits to KO (with Leftovers)
If the calcs are right I can take 4 bug buzz's in a row I believe 3 with rocks in play so it can make for a solid counter Since it's fire punch doing about 42~50 percent so barring sp.def drops and crits you should do fine with the decline of fighting type and cress's everywhere rest curse lax seems to be a viable option just that the two coverage moves are had to pick from since with fire punch and body slam you hit ferroseed and durant but lose out to rhydon and rhyperior
without earthquake etc but I can see it being a potent threat since phaze isn't really common and he can set up pretty easily since RU is revolving around special attackers just my two cents.

I have found that RU has been an interesting playground for Trick Room Teams. While I was never warm to TR in Gen IV, at least in OU, I have found that the Trick Room strategy is pretty solid in neutering some of the more dangerous sweepers in RU. What's more, many powerful Trick Room pokemon are still in RU, such as some old solids like Slowking, Dusknoir, Smeargle, Cresellia, and Claydol, as well as some very powerful newcomers like Cofagrigus (who not only carries some excellent defenses and a punishing ability on switch in, but can also run both a Nasty Plot set like Slowking, or a Calm Mind Set like Slowbro) and Audino (who I find is excellent acting as a cleric as well; Regenerator is excellent for shuffling her around, and it can run wish and heal bell support as well).

One of the nice things about running a TR team in RU, that I have found, is that Trick Room stops a lot of the nasty, fast sweepers in the tier, leaving Durant, Yanmega, and Sharpedo (but especially Yanmega) on the wrong end of the sweeping stick. Dead countering those rapid sweepers is wonderful. My favorite TR sweeper may be Eelektross, who can maximize it's powerful mixed offense and unpredictable movepool. Think Octillary with better bulk and stronger physical offense.

Of course, Trick Room only works if you get off in time, but so far, it seems that taunt is moderately uncommon. Likewise, a lot of the strong sweeper options may be heading out of the tier. Rhyperior stands out as one of the more monstrous TR sweepers, but he is getting too popular in UU, and might be leaving us soon.

What about your thoughts on Trick Room in RU?

I love using Trick Room in RU. Cofagrigus is such a beast, using Trick Room and then Destiny Bonding any opponents that can break him or Shadow Balling those who can't. His Hidden Power Rock also OHKOs Yanmega with no investment and 2HKOs Subroost Moltres, which is nice. Slowking is also an excellent abuser with Nasty Plot and Psyshock.

Snorlax is definitely UU.

Trick room could work well, since there are quite a few Pokemon that can set it up reliably, and some excellent abusers (hi Rhyperior. hi Slowking).

Rhydon, not Rhyperior, whenever changes are implemented, so just saying. I can see Trick Room possibly working, but the fact that most pokes that set it up are mauled by Yanmega is a bit of a problem.

I've never seen a Yanmega run HP Ground over Giga Drain, and Lampent is not 2HKO'd by Specs Air Slash :) Meanwhile, Lampent sets up Trick Room and OHKOs with Flamethrower.

Well, I wonder if the nigh-ubiquitous Stealth Rock would bring Lampent down to 2-hit range of Specs Air Slash. If so, a flinch would ruin it 30% of the time.

That's why Torkoal isn't very popular. That, and base 20 Speed means even Shell Smash can't save it.
Torkoal wasn't going to outspeed things to begin with. He truly shines in a utility role though, not as a tank or a wall. His typing prevents him from doing either of the latter.

That's why Torkoal isn't very popular. That, and base 20 Speed means even Shell Smash can't save it.
Some people still try to assert that he's good.

Anyway...

I decided to cave and use a strategy that I previously thought was noobish...I slapped a Ninjask on my team. I maximized his defense (252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.D and Impish...with this set, a Hariyama's Bullet Punch has a chance to not break my Subs) and I'm running a set that's raped by taunt (Swords Dance/Protect/Substitute/Baton Pass), but, frankly, it doesn't really matter, because with the nature of my team, nobody ever really has a chance to set up stealth rock, so Ninjask gets plenty of chances to pass, and when I get around to passing shit like +2 attack and +4 speed to something like Rhyperior or Crawdaunt, it's basically game over.

And so...Ninjask is better than I thought in this tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)