ORAS Doubles OU Rate My Team (Oars VGC Doubles)

Why hello there.

I have long avoided Doubles play as I much prefer Singles, but I think its finally time to give it a shot with the new VGC season approaching. Being intended for the VGC meta, I will have to work in checks for all the good stuff that that allows. I have the framework of my doubles team below, but there are some obvious holes I could use some help on as I'm quite inexperienced in the doubles meta:

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 184 HP / 236 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- Protect

Being one of the few people in my area who actually enjoys Landorus's design, I cant help but use it in a format where it reigns supreme. It is merely serving its standard roles on this team, but its more important than ever as I have to protect my Gallade from Birdspam courtesy of M-Pinsir/Talonflame/M-Salamence.

Aegislash @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA? / 4 SpD?
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon/Sacred Sword?
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard

My second favorite mon. I don't think much needs to be explained about this guy by now, but I will say I want to run Sacred Sword over Flash Cannon because I think I can let Bisharp handle Faries for Gallade. Agislash is mainly here to give me something strong to lead with against Trick room teams.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- /Protect/Quick Guard?
- Pursuit

I enjoy battles of prediction, and Bisharp strikes me as a Pokemon who lives or dies on your ability to read your opponent. As a bonus, he also happened to be top tier in doubles. Here as my fairy and ghost check to protect Gallade from their wrath.

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Helping Hand

Togekiss is Gallade and Landorus's best friends, giving them crucial turns to get off free attacks or boosts and Paralyzing their checks so they are not outsped.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 84 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam/Icy Wind?
- Protect

Does mostly the same job as Togekiss, but versus different teams. Suicune is a good backup check against M-Salamence as well as offering speed control and perhaps a lucky burn to let Gallade and Bisharp do their work. Coincidentally my only Water resist. (This is probably the slot I am most open to changing)

Gallade @ Galladeite
Ability: Justified
EVs: ?
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

So here we come to my favorite Pokemon, and coincidentally the one I am having the most trouble deciding on a set for. M-Gallade has so many options open to it, and the set I have here is a sample that I think might be okay. Open to suggestions for the most effective move set to function alongside the support the rest of my team offers.

The team is meant to be primarily an anti-meta team, as that is usually the way I approach my singles teams. I envision picking three Pokemon to disrupt the opponents strategy in a way that allows for a Gallade sweep. I can tell that the team has some gaping flaws like not having a second mega evolution choice and generally having no game against dedicated weather teams. Suggestions on move sets or even mon changes are welcome, but the mons I want to form the core of the team are Aegislash, Landorus, and M-Gallade.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)