recommend Altmer some cool music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Because I am looking for something new. I've listened to fuckloads of metal in every form or shape, and I'll always dig that; no questions asked. But I need other directions.

Genres I love outside of heavy metal right now include prog rock in various forms (everything from old school 70s stuff to more modern things like The Mars Volta), some pop punk (Fall Out Boy, Paramore et al.), more alternative rock stuff (A Perfect Circle, Radiohead, Muse, things like that) and a motley assortment of other stuff, such as singer-songwriter (Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan), and classic rock such as Queen, Led Zep etc (don't rec those kinds of bands, if they are well known I have probably listened to and or liked them).

Genres I would like to explore:

Folk (preferably some kind of rock, whether in combination with prog or psychedelic or even indie; don't rec me Neutral Milk Hotel because I already know and like them)

Indie (and I already know Built to Spill/Dismemberment Plan)

good hip-hop (a la Aesop Rock)

Jazz (I listen to very little jazz at all)

Classical (such as Grieg)

some post-rock (but I already know the obvious ones like explosions/godspeed and similar/sigur ros/yndi halda)

If you have any hardcore punk/post-hardcore shit you can recommend that too, just be aware that screamed vocals (as opposed to the death grunts) turn me off a lot of the time. I still enjoy Converge though.

If you think you know a metal band (death metal/black metal/thrash) that I should listen to, don't hesitate to rec, but I'll probably wait with checking that out.

Also I especially want people like DM and Glen to post because they know lots of shit I never listen to but should hear.

Search for InMe, they're a british prog rock(/the first album which was metally and kinda sucked) band i absolutely love
Namely the album daydream anonymous

edit: woah, this is the first time anyone else has ever heard of them lol

Search for InMe, they're a british prog rock(/the first album which was metally and kinda sucked) band i absolutely love
Namely the album daydream anonymous
Fucking hell, they're absolutely outstanding. One of my favorite bands at the moment.

Anyways, indie is such a hard term to define as a genre and it's hard to recommend any indie if not specified what kind of. I think I know what you mean though. You could try out some of my favorites in this area: This Town Needs Guns, Portugal. The Man, Architecture In Helsinki and Of Montreal. Biffy Clyro's earlier indie production is outstanding and worth listening. Their experimental style at that time was really nice. As for indie folk, try out Murder By Death (completely awesome) or Animal Collective (not traditional indie folk kinda stuff though).

As for good hip hop, I'm not much into hip hop these days but Atmosphere gets me going. The lyrics are seriously worth it. Sage Francis is pretty cool too.

As for post-rock, try out my personal favorite: God Is An Astronaut. They're music is quite different from Sigur Ros and the likes as it's a lot more atmospheric and their usage of guitars/keyboard is completely different from the traditional distorted guitars, which most bands tend to use. Also try Red Sparowes, Caspian, This Will Destroy You and Junius. All are decent indeed.
Also, you could take this post-rock try-out a bit further and check out some cool post-metal like Russian Circles.

As for post-hardcore and hardcore punk, try Boysetsfire, Quicksand, Poison The Well or Jawbox. Out of these, Poison The Well is the roughest one and they do have some screaming but their drummer is outstanding in the earlier production. Cave In is currently my favorite hardcore band, even though their latest albums are softer rock. Hell Is For Heroes and Million Dead are easily one of the top post-hardcore bands that ever existed.

If you're into prog rock, try Pure Reasons Revolution. Calm neo-progressive rock band with a female vocalist. Definitely worth a listen. The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning is a masterpiece of a song.

I hope these bands turn out to be something you like.

Altmer

Also, you could take this post-rock try-out a bit further and check out some cool post-metal like Russian Circles.
I haven't heard that particular band but I already do know stuff like Isis, Pelican, Neurosis, Cult of Luna...I need more Jesu though.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
lol ive seen InMe, first time i ever crowd-surfed... i havent heard anything past their first 2 albums but they were OK back in the day

folk.. port o brien, noah and the whale (they are a bit poppy), bedouin soundclash(?), SEASICK STEVE

hip hop.. dj format & abdominal, sugar hill gang, dan le sac vs scroobius pip

indie.. the appleseed cast (just cause i know dm is gonna say it), why?, elbow, johnny foreigner. gonna re-recommend murder by death cause that band can do no wrong

other stuff.. black keys (blues), rusko (dubstep), sebastiAn (house), chromeo (2-step), crystal castles (electronica), gaslight anthem (punk-pop-folk-rock), the hold steady (folk-rock-blues), hundred reasons (indie rock), reuben (indie rock)

oh also if you like that pop-punk stuff i recommend Four Year Strong

and if theres one band you listen to out of this entire thread, make it Thursday, i know you'll like them

etc!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i recommend the pavements
hahaha, post of the month

I will tackle this thread tonight so that I'm on my home computer and can do it true justice. Echo has some really great recommendations and I'll point them out later.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I recommend To-Mera: they're progressive metal but for some reason they have some jazz elements in their music too I think and since you're looking to listen to some jazz I guess it's not a bad place to start.

If you like techno/indie, you might enjoy MGMT.

Some other fun tunes are The Pixies. I'd recommend Doolittle.

Also, check out Why?, Hymie's Basement, cLOUDDEAD and more. They're a cool mix of indie and hip-hop.

Other hip hop that is good is like MF Doom, Jedi Mind Tricks, Nas (Illmatic), Talib Kweli (Eardrum).

If you want hardcore stuff, maybe some Kids Like Us (Outta Control) or Have Heart (Songs to Scream at the Sun). Neither have harsh vocals really.

Rerecommending Why? and Atmosphere. (and the pavements)

re recommending the hold steady especially their newest album, stay positive.
try out Gaslight anthem as well, their songs are amazing

Altmer

I have heard Illmatic but thanks for the others. I also already know of To-Mera, I love those jazzy parts.

As far as jazz goes, I've been listening to recordings of the Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltraine on repeat, it is gr8gr8gr8. The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus is good as well.

I wish I could recommend more but I've actually just started getting into the genre!

lol ive seen InMe, first time i ever crowd-surfed... i havent heard anything past their first 2 albums but they were OK back in the day
Daydream Anonymous kills the two previous albums completely. The guitar work is far more complex and they've really improved the lyrics as well. 'OK' is pretty much what the first two albums can be described as when compared to Daydream.

JabbaTheGriffin said:
Fair to Midland is supposedly folk metal or something. Try them out.
I don't know, they're rather quite standard prog rock in my opinion. Decent band and definitely worthwhile. Songs like Dance of the Manatee, Upgrade^Brigade, and April Fools and Eggmen are outstanding. Their style does differ a bit from what people normally consider prog rock and I've always found their lyrics as if they were telling stories to children, which is sort of a cool concept.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Folk - Animal Collective and Sufjan Stevens are both great

Indie - Broken Social Scene for music that can only be defined as "chill", specifically the album "You Forgot it in People". Also the National is very good! I would recommend Modest Mouse like i do to everyone but the vocals might displease you.

good hip-hop - k-os. Toronto boy who lays some some pretty slick rhymes, its very fun music though as opposed to trying to be tough or gangster

Jazz (I listen to very little jazz at all) - obvious Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie

Punk/Folk/Awesome - Against Me! Glen got me curious about them and wow are they great, lyrically and just in pure power. Best sing along band ever, specigically the album Reinventing Axl Rose. The vocals are kind screamish but they are more just raw emotion, much like Modest Mouse in that sense. Can't recommend it enough

yea!

When I look for new music instead of searching for obscure stuff I try to listen to the classics I have missed, look for the essentials of the genres I like... that way I went back to the 80s and listened to Joy Division, The Smiths, which led me to Bauhaus (maybe my favorite band), then I went further back and found David Bowie. I think this is specially effective when you only look for music on the Internet, you get to find more of the new hyped stuff and miss the classics.

I haven't heard that particular band but I already do know stuff like Isis, Pelican, Neurosis, Cult of Luna...I need more Jesu though.
also

have you heard March Into the Sea by Pelican? The long version from the EP

that song is INCREDIBLE

try also Mouth of the Architect and Sika Redem. I'm not a fan of them but most atmospheric sludge people like those.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I was too busy last night so now I'm finally able to do this thread justice.

Folk - I'm wondering what I have that fits under this heading... My Morning Jacket is kinda alt-folkish, give them a listen. Arab Strap is a really good Scottish group, and Silver Jews fucking rule.

Indie - like someone said, indie is too general a term these days. It's not like the 90s where I'd just say "Sebadoh" and move on.

good hip-hop - Echo said Atmosphere, they're amazing. GTS said Jedi Mind Tricks, they're also amazing. POS is pretty good too, in the same vein as Atmosphere. Swollen Members are pretty damn good.

Jazz - I don't listen to much jazz either, this would be something to ask chaos. Dweedle was always ranting and raving about Miles Davis, so he must be good.

Classical - Carl Orff's Carmina Burana is the shit, get it now. I personally really like Guiseppe Verdi, I just have a thing for sweeping choral arrangements.

some post-rock - Echo rules. God Is An Astronaut and This Will Destroy You are two bands I found recently and I can't stop listening to them; I'm actually listening to TWDY's "Villa Del Refugio" as I type this. He also said Red Sparowes and Russian Circles, two bands that are a little on the metal side so I bet you'll love them. I'll throw the following names into the mix: 65daysofstatic, M83, and Maserati.

any hardcore punk/post-hardcore - check out Hopesfall's The Satellite Years. One of my favorite albums of all time, it's a hardcore band with spacerock breakdowns. Yeah, you know you're interested.

some post-rock - Echo rules. God Is An Astronaut and This Will Destroy You are two bands I found recently and I can't stop listening to them; I'm actually listening to TWDY's "Villa Del Refugio" as I type this. He also said Red Sparowes and Russian Circles, two bands that are a little on the metal side so I bet you'll love them. I'll throw the following names into the mix: 65daysofstatic, M83, and Maserati.

any hardcore punk/post-hardcore - check out Hopesfall's The Satellite Years. One of my favorite albums of all time, it's a hardcore band with spacerock breakdowns. Yeah, you know you're interested.
I have the same problem with GIAA. Haven't really been addicted to music before them. Such intriguing music. Also, yeah, I would recommend 65 too. They have a plethora of extremely well-made songs and I've always taken them as a rougher Mogwai, which is a good thing.

Even though the idea was to recommend Altmer some music, you got me interested in Hopesfall already. The name is really familiar but I've never managed to check out what their music is actually like.

unkle, DJ Shadow, and thievery corporation are all pretty solid choices if you want to listen to some good electronica/ trance/ whatever you want to call it music.

if you like porcupine tree check out Blackfield, its the lead singers other band.

my ipod tells me that Black rebel motorcycle club is indie, i think they are pretty awesome.

a reggae band called Easy Star All-stars did a pink floyd cover album called dub side of the moon (on money its bong rips,lighters, and coughs instead of cash registers, ripping paper and coins.

flobots are a good choice for hip hop

Check out the music if you like alternative

one of my favorite bands is VAST. i always find myself listening to them when i wake/snowboard. check out the album Nude.

if you like any of this i can suggest more

Jazz: If you're interested in Jazz Fusion try out Mahavishnu Orchestra (Meeting of the Spirits is a really awesome song imo)

John Coltrane-A Love Surpreme is really amazing, all four parts, but Acknowledgement is my personal favorite.

Chick Corea-Spain is a nice song, but I haven't really listened to too much more of him

Sun Ra is pretty interesting, I always liked the songs Paradise and Twin Stars of Thence

Miles Davis approached a lot of different subgenres of Jazz and is definitely worth listening to. Some songs I enjoy are Autumn Leaves, So What, I Fall In Love Too Easily, and Summertime.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Swollen Members are pretty damn good.
holy shit blast from the past, these guys were really big in Canada and I used to sing along with this band trying to be tough in like 4th grade, wow i completely forgot they existed. However im relieved that after watching the video for "watch this" on youtube i remember all the words lol.

I cant believe you actually think they are legit though :| Pretty generic. Maybe it was just their singles that were bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)