recommend Altmer some cool music

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I guess I better recommend some older music!

Some good prog rock/classic rock (tried to pick ones that you might not consider "popular", though it's tough since they all have their hits played on the radio):

Rush - Tons and tons of good music. They're popular, but also very underrated. If you haven't listened to them, definitely at least listen to them if you don't take my other suggestions. If you want a place to start try the Permanent Waves album (my favorite) or moving pictures album which is also amazing.
Boston - Unfortunately they did not put out much music, but the music they did put out (with delp) was very very good. Every song of their first album was amazing.
Yes - I'm not the biggest fan, but they definitely have good music. I saw them live (unfortunately it was a free concert and then ended up raining so I didn't see much of them) with the next group I'll recommend
Asia - They have some good songs, but you can't really put them in the same category as the other three. Just felt like mentioning them because most people probably only know them from heat of the moment, but they've got a lot of other good songs.

There are tons of other groups I could recommend but they're probably considered popular.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice fucken necromancers you lot all are.

One Eyed Doll sounds like a band I would hate.

For the prog rock: I already know Rush and Yes, obviously, own records. Boston doesn't interest me and neither does Asia.

ok i come to the table better equipped for your needs this time around.

here's a list of all the great black metal albums i've discovered this year.

you probably are aware of some, and i've mentioned most of these elsewhere, but check them out if you haven't.

The Sun Came Up Upon the Left: And the Dreams so Rich in Color
Celestia: Archaenae Perfectii
Enslaved: Axioma Ethica Odini
Nechochwen: Azimuths to the Otherworld
Shining (NOR): Blackjazz
Algor Mortis: Die Freiheit des Denkenden Geistes
Njiqahdda: Divisionals
Tharnenkind: Eine Momentaufnahme - Der Rest ist Nur Einsamkeit
Al-Namrood: Estorat Taghoot
Cold Body Radiation: The Great White Emptiness
Bifröst: Heidenmetal
Domgård: I Nifelhels Skygd
Kvelertak: Kvelertak
An Autumn for Crippled Children: Lost
Odem Arcarum: Outrageous Reverie Above the Erosion of Barren Earth
Nekrasov: Perishable Things EP
Dyrathor: Sacred Walcraft of Hel
Les Discrets: Septembre et ses Dernières Pensées
Beklager: Unnskyl
Negură Bunget: Vîrstele Pamîntului

I listen almost purely to instrumentals. Kenny G is a good popular Jazz musician. Bruce Faulconer's soundtrack for DBZ is pretty varied, mostly new age, but it has some industrial, metal, and even orchestral sounds.

You seem like the kind of person that would dig The Velvet Underground and Joy Division.

Other than that, I'm too lazy to recommend anything else.

If you dig Post-Rock check out Pele. Theyre a band Ive been listening to for quite a while. I always get questions about them when I have friends over because their music is really chill but not lull you into a coma chill...

Another favorite of mine is Yo La Tengo but I think more than likely youve heard of them.

Three individual bands I'll recommend you.

Mother Love Bone: The band that pre-dated Pearl Jam. Mother Love Bone only had one album and that was Apple. They were suppose to be huge, they were suppose to be the next big thing. Geffen wanted to marketed the band as the Guns N' Roses of grunge, commercial wise. None of that happened though due to the death of lead vocalist Andrew Wood. He died of a drug overdose. Although Mother Love Bone seems to be a forgotten part of history in the sands of time, they live on in the heart of grunge fans everywhere. The band had a unique blend of glam rock thrown in with the Seattle sound. Something unusual that sounds rather good (IMO anyhow).

Soundgarden: I see that you didn't want metal recommendations. I also see that you like some alternative rock. I'll assume you've heard Soundgarden (even bigger chance due to their ties to Guitar Hero lately), but I want to recommend them anyway. Early Soundgarden had a stoner/doom metal splice of sound to them. Later Soundgarden was more along the lines of alternative rock. Soundgarden is a band that I recommend you get all their studio albums.

Thin Lizzy: In my opinion, the most underrated hard rock band of the 1970's. People have heard "Jailbreak", "The Boys Are Back in Town", and "Whiskey in the Jar" at least once. Aside from those three big commercial hits, Thin Lizzy was VERY consistent with material. They may have had a couple of average albums in between, but I can't say a "bad" album. My personal favorite album from them would be Vagabonds of the Western World.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)