Research Week V2 #2 - Won by King UU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shout-out to Kitten Milk for the excellent suggestion to revive this project!

I've ran Research Week projects since Black and White, and one of the major issues I've noticed is that getting participants has always been a bugger. Today, that problem is hopefully no more! I present to you a fresh take on a classic idea, Research Week V2! Once again, I welcome UU-ers and all those looking for an excellent competitive Pokemon experience! Unlike last time where you chose between a number of Pokemon, you'll now be choosing between a number of Pokemon sets.

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you..
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but cut-off days will be on Tuesday (also the day that I post a new thread)
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. You'll also earn yourself a Community Contributor nomination point. Collect ten of those, and you will be nominated for a Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it.

This Week's Research Pokemon:

LO Noivern / Cresselia / CB Dugtrio / Cobalion

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs:
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash
-
- Taunt

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
-
- Moonlight

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
-
- Aerial Ace

Any blank spaces in these sets are to be filled with the moves of your choice. Cobalion does not have a mandatory set for this week. Tell us about why you chose specific moves and what they were able to accomplish!

How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hall of Fame (found in the Resource Thread).[/quote]

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alt: Kinkredible
Noivern @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Taunt

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

Replay & Analysis to follow

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
is there any particular reason why aerial ace is a required move on dugtrio? I don't really find it to be worth it now that hera isn't in the tier

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Alt:Cressbalion
using Cresselia and cobalion

edit: alt:GetingDuggyWitIt
using dugtrio and cobalion
cress wasnt working out :/

Last edited:
alt: CreTrio
using: Dugtrio, Noivern

also using cresselia but not that set, this RW is actually 4/6 mons from my dark horse team last month so probably just gonna tweak that team alot

Edit: Actually Noivern also fits my team really well still so adding it

Last edited:
Alt: noisyweek
Pokemon: noivern

Initial thoughts after around 3 ladder matches:
LO noivern is replacing my stallbreaker noivern on my stall team, making it more semi stall I guess. While it misses out on important KOes, Taunt can let it beat common hazard setters, like forretress (no replay D:) ill have to keep using it to get my full opinion.

Sorry for the double post. Here is an example on how noivern can demolish hazard setters.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-169936660

While the galvantula did thunder, and not sw, most of the time, Noivern still dealt with galv and prevented sticky web from going up. Even if it didn't flinch, it was put in KO range where M aero could outspeed and kill it.

So I've noticed that Dugtrio often has a chance to be OHKOed by strong priority even from full health. Even though the chance is rather low its not worth the risk to not be able to trap certain threats like Lucario and Toxicroak. With a little defense investment it can also revenge kill scarf Jirachi locked into Iron Head thanks to Sucker Punch.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 191-226 (90.5 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Dugtrio: 179-212 (84.8 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 187-221 (88.6 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Dugtrio: 175-207 (82.9 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 189-223 (89.5 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Dugtrio: 177-208 (83.8 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So the extra bulk has limited but definite improvement for Dugtrio at the expense of speed. The current Speed EVs still allow you to outpace base 115s like Raikou and Mega Houndoom while only losing out on Speed ties with Alakazam which you can still hit with Sucker Punch. Overall I think the minimal loss in speed is worth it so that you can guarantee the deaths of these threats.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I've noticed that Dugtrio often has a chance to be OHKOed by strong priority even from full health. Even though the chance is rather low its not worth the risk to not be able to trap certain threats like Lucario and Toxicroak. With a little defense investment it can also revenge kill scarf Jirachi locked into Iron Head thanks to Sucker Punch.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 191-226 (90.5 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Dugtrio: 179-212 (84.8 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 187-221 (88.6 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Dugtrio: 175-207 (82.9 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 189-223 (89.5 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Dugtrio: 177-208 (83.8 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So the extra bulk has limited but definite improvement for Dugtrio at the expense of speed. The current Speed EVs still allow you to outpace base 115s like Raikou and Mega Houndoom while only losing out on Speed ties with Alakazam which you can still hit with Sucker Punch. Overall I think the minimal loss in speed is worth it so that you can guarantee the deaths of these threats.

I actually experimented with that set on my Dark Horse Team. It's a fun set.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Reached 1609: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-170306273

Premise of the team is simple: Noivern hates steels, so Duggy traps them, opening up the game for Noivern to sweep. I decided to use Roost in the last slot as Noivern actually gets a lot of opportunities to use it with its decent typing and bulk. In conjunction with Taunt it can even beat weaker special attackers like Vappy, Umbreon, Gastrodon etc. Against offense it's performed excellently as a revenge killer and late game cleaner with its great speed, while against stall it's been a nuisance with Taunt, Roost and even Air Slash flinching. Basically if the opponent lacks a Fairy type and his Steels are removed, it's just deadly.

Duggy is amazing in this metagame. It can trap and kill so many top tier threats like Victini, Luke (I've been using the extra defense EVs posted above by st123), Jirachi, Ampharos, Mienshao, Infernape, the Nidos, Roserade, Darm, Cobalion, Raikou, the list goes on! A lot of the Pokemon listed have the potential to really trouble my team if given the opportunity to exert their influence on the match, but thanks to Duggy my opponent either has to play conservatively with them which makes them a lot more manageable, or they get a maximum of one kill in exchange to being permanently removed from the match. It also has really good synergy with Whimsicott as after the removal of Steels, Poisons and Fires Whimsi has free reign.

Due to Duggy's frailty I wanted to make use of U-Turners to allow Duggy to come in safely. Jirachi and Mienshao accomplish this purpose, while serving as SR user and revenge killer respectively. Jira draws in steels and other Pokemon like Mega Ampharos, and if I successfully U-turn on the switch Duggy has an easy kill. Defensive Arcanine suffers a similar fate, which is crucial as it can be really annoying to face due to my lack of a burn absorber. Mienshao, to put it simply, just wrecks things. HJK OHKOs or 2HKOs nearly everything that doesn't resist it or has bulk similar to Suicune. Knock Off beats the Psychics and Ghosts that attempt to switch into HJK, and also cripples everything else. I can even recklessly switch it into an attack that does like 50-60% thanks to the beauty of Regenerator. It forces switches so easily, giving Duggy plenty of opportunities to do its thing.

Picked Mega Blastoise because I hate running any team without hazard control no matter if I have one or six Pokemon weak to SR. It also provides me with an important check to Fire types like Victini, Darm and Entei. Finally Specs Whimsicott as I needed a bulky water killer and it has great synergy with Duggy. It wrecks offense with Moonblast and stall with Switcheroo, and I have become totally addicted to it. :P Fairy typing also gives me a nice Dark resist to check Absol and Honchkrow, which was needed as Mienshao is so frail.

Here are a few replays in which Noivern and Duggy have had a significant impact:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-170303401
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-170288778
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-170041712

Last edited:
Looking back at that replay I probably had a good chance of sweeping if Doublade had Sneak over Claw ;_; (I swear PS changes my moves sometimes).

And congratulations on reaching 1600! Good annoying, haxy team you got there :P

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Haha thanks! Yeah shame about that, was a really close game even so. Man Doublade is a beast, thank god I managed to knock off its Eviolite :P

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
This post will serve as my analysis post. I will post all relevant replays & analyses here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noivern @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Taunt

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 136 Def / 80 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Protect

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 136 Atk / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Fire Blast

Brief Intro Analysis: The use of u-turn Noivern/arena Trap Dugtrio made sense to me. Using this synergetic offensive model (or so I thought) I figured it could use proper wall-breaking support. Umbreon's baton pass worked well with Dugtrio, and I found early success, though it didn't last. Click below and watch some replays.
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chandelure: 206-244 (78.9 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Brief Outro Analysis: Simply put, I was going for a HO team that could make use of wish/pass. I was wrong, and I only got to about 1330-1350 for a reason.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noivern @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Taunt

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Hammer Arm
- Spiky Shield
- Bulk Up

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Protect

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

Brief Intro Analysis: I had realized two things from my first attemt: (1) that the strategy I was going for was viable, I was just using the wrong mons; (2) the wrong pokemon had u-turn. Now here's what I mean by this - Noivern isn't the pokemon that can fully capitalize on those momentum switches due to Life Orb recoil, Stealth Rocks, poor attack (overall, cause I am forced to run 0 ivs), and poor bulk for switch ins. That's when I decided to shuffle the board a bit: I took out Umbreon and put in Vaporeon to have someone who could deal with waters, and on top take away the nasty Blastoise problem I'd been having. I also changed Infernape into my taunt/stealth rock set that I had posted on "Next Best Thing". Chesnaught was an interesting add as well. However, the main man that allowed me that leap into 1500s was Jirachi. Click below and watch some replays.

Brief Outro Analysis: This team brought me to the next level, but it wasn't enough to get past the mid-level -> upper-level barrier. I needed another change... but what?
Noivern @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Taunt

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Protect

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

Brief Intro Analysis: It was one pokemon. One gimmick. I usually hate running dual items, but boy does this team benefit from Max Speed Adamant Choice Band Machamp. Click below for some replays.

Brief Outro Analysis: Fine, I'll say it. This team relies on hax a little *runs away crying*
Current Ladder Ranking: 1765
Ladder Peak: 1769
http://puu.sh/c1kq9/0b23db263f.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)