SM OU Rhype for the Picking

Rhype for the Picking

This is my first Sun/Moon RMT, mainly because the meta has been absolutely trash for the entire Gen so far and only now are we starting to see at least some diversity. It's still a long shot from being considered 'good' or 'healthy' but it's enough for me to produce a team that isn't complete garbage. I post these RMTs very occasionally and they never get much attention but I do it because the process of constructing and then deconstructing a team is really fun for me. More fun than getting Fire Blast crit-burnt and missing a Play Rough to lose the game, anyway.

I always build teams around at least one Pokemon that isn't spammed everywhere. I know full well that if this were a Landorus, I could make some minor tweaks to the team and it would be a lot better, but that is in my opinion the exact opposite of fun. I literally can't understand the people that spend hours, day in day out, using the same teams on the ladder. It is so illogical and in the end earns them nothing. That said, the current meta is very unforgiving towards these kinds of teams, so I needed to pick something with some sort of viability. Rhyperior is a decent mid-ground check/counter to a lot of threats like Pinsir, Tapu Koko, Manectric, Mimikyu, Dragonite, Zapdos and a semi-reliable physical wall, so I picked it.

Tangrowth provides good synergy, resisting Water, Grass and Ground while Rhyperior's ability to stop Flying and Poison attacks is also beneficial.

Mew gives Defog support and is just about the only thing in the game that can beat Medicham. Its bulk lets it beat a huge portion of the tier and spread burns all around.

Zard Y is seriously borderline broken, and with Defog and walls to stop Electric and Rock moves, it's a really nice fit here.

I was really weak to Chansey and decided I wanted to have a consistent trapper for it and Toxapex. Literally everything in the team was weak or neutral to Ice with this, and it was really a result of rushed teambuilding.

I had a crossroads, to choose between Unaware Clefable and Mimikyu. DD Dragonium Zygarde could sweep pretty easily and I had no Dragon resist, among other things. Mimikyu essentially has a Sash except against Mega Gyara (although Unaware Clef doesn't wall that either), and it doubles as a late game sweeper. Decided I wanted to keep the team more offensive, so took this.

Keldeo was a much better decision than Dugtrio. It still takes on Chansey and has good bulk as well as resisting Ice.

The Team

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 128 Def / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature

The EVs are tailor made to perfection, outspeeding Chansey, living +2 Pinsir's Close Combat after a Spike and leaving enough Attack over to always KO Magearna after Rocks. The attack is also maximised just to make switching in very hard.

- Ice Punch
Pretty handy, slightly negates the SD Lando weakness, putting it in Mimikyu range. Also gives a 100% accurate move to hit levitators.
- Earthquake
STAB.
- Stone Edge
So you can blame hax for the loss when you miss.
- Stealth Rock
Luckily this gets Rocks, making it slightly more viable and freeing up move slots/team slots later on.

Other Options
Iapapa Berry/Sitrus Berry > Leftovers: 6% per turn is very little and on a Pokemon that's meant to take hits around 30%, it's pretty valuable to get one big health replenish instead of many small ones.
Roar > Ice Punch: Having a phasing move is niche but can save games. There's honestly very few Pokemon that would set up on Rhyperior, but this is worth considering.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature

Stock standard spread. Needs as much SpD as possible to take on Greninjas.

- Knock Off
Necessary, amazing utility etc.
- Hidden Power Ice
Have Scizor and Ferrothorn checks on the team, so HP Fire isn't necessary, but HP Ice is for Zygardes.
- Giga Drain
No need for Leaf Storm.
- Earthquake
Initially figured I could afford to run Sludge Bomb to more reliably beat Tapus, but then realised I was countered outright by Magearna and figured I should change that.

Other Options:
Rock Slide > Knock Off: There is an argument that I should prepare better for Volcarona and Zard Y, both of which are incredibly annoying. I usually get by on Mimikyu, Keldeo and blaming the loss on hax, but if you're using the team you should try this option out. Trades utility in all games for reliability in some.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 140 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature

Smogon's recommended set, and I have no reason to change it.

- Psychic
Venusaur is a bitch and this is pretty important for that as well as just being the strongest move available.
- Will-O-Wisp
Very important to Mew's success.
- Roost
Recovery.
- Defog
Gets rid of the hazards that are so annoying in the current meta.

Other Options
Knock Off/Ice Beam > Psychic: Probably not worth it, but possibly if other team changes are being made. For example, Ice Beam on Mew can free up a slot on Tangrowth to run Rock Slide.
Taunt > Will-O-Wisp: I find that Taunt would be really helpful very often, but there's just no way it becomes more useful to me than Wisp. It needs an attacking move, recovery and defog, so this is the only slot, but overall not worth it.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

Very standard spread. Needs every bit of speed it can get and after that you just want to hit hard.

- Flamethrower
Some may argue Fire Blast hits harder, to which I say you need to hit to hit harder.
- Solar Beam
Hits Rocks and Waters.
- Roost
Longevity is more important than coverage when you're clicking Flamethrower 99% of the time.
- Focus Blast
Good for Heatran and Tyranitar.

Other Options:
Hidden Power Ice > Focus Blast: This is taking off as an option to hit Zygarde and pals but realistically Flamethrower hits these guys really hard anyway whereas with HP Ice it literally can't touch Heatran, and Ttar on the switch traps.
Rock Slide > Focus Blast: Returning to the Zard + Volcarona weakness, this is really niche and you probably shouldn't consider using it. Saw it on a Chimpact video and felt violated, but if you aren't comfortable with Volcarona you might like to give it a go.

Keldeo @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature

This is a set I made myself (at least, I haven't seen it anywhere else). It's not necessarily good but it's fun, and I like it. Basically, it was originally scarfed (re: Volcarona weakness) but I had a game against a Manaphy where I had an epiphany that Z-Focus Blast would be a cool option. The set has seen a few changes and I wouldn't probably consider it 'good' but it's fun to use and can catch a lot of things unawares (Keldeo All-Out Pummeling vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 90.6 - 106.9%, 81% chance to KO with Rocks)

- Scald
I already have one Will-O-Wisp user on the team but another is fine.
- Secret Sword
Despite also having Z-Focus Blast I also need to use this to beat Chansey so need Secret Sword.
- Focus Blast
Can't miss Z-Moves but as good as useless afterwards.
- Calm Mind
Originally had Hydro Pump here but almost never used it. Even when I did, Calm Mind seemed superior such as against Zard Y, where +1 SpD lets me live then hit harder with a +1 Scald.

Other Options:
Choice Scarf > Fightinium Z: Much more standard but in my honest opinion it isn't necessary for this team. Speed Control is nice, yes, but power is nicer. If using this chuck on Stone Edge.
Hyper Beam > Focus Blast: CM Z-Hyper Beam saw usage for about 2 weeks at some point but Venusuar lives and recovers and Tapu Fini and Toxapex both live and neither is really an issue for the team worth the lure.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

Life Orb over anything else because can't use Z-Moves and this is quite often used as a revenge killer so I need the damage output.

- Shadow Sneak
Some very handy priority which occasionally allows me to keep the Sub in the revenge killer roll, or otherwise facilitates for lack of speed in the sweeper roll.
- Play Rough
Misses every time I need it to hit, but there isn't a better option.
- Shadow Claw
STAB.
- Swords Dance
Turns Mimikyu from laughably weak to a pretty potent attacker.

Other Options:
Thunder Wave > Swords Dance: Realistically this isn't a thing but there's other options listed under every other team member so I figured I'd find something that is at least halfway worth considering. I guess the logic here is that you abandon the sweeper role and become 100% a revenge killer/stopper.

Threats
Threats include but are not limited to: Gengar, Volcarona, Charizard Y, Latios, maybe Gardevoir - haven't seen it used yet but in theory it's pretty potent, Z-Bounce Gyarados, and Dark Pulse/Ice Beam/Gunk Shot/Extrasensory Greninja, which I actually have encountered.
Summary
Over my experience playing competitive I've basically realised that Pokemon isn't a good game and despite all it says about trying to make the most skilled player win, Smogon is in a lose-lose-lose situation where it's screwed no matter what. People will be mad at bans, people will be mad at so-called 'cookie cutter teams' and most important people will be mad about hax. It's a hard thing to realise and I haven't fully done it yet, but the game is basically based around odds so luck is always going to be a factor and some games will just shit on you the whole time. You can't use skill to land a 95% accurate move, or to not be double crit, or to avoid the opponent's Ancient Power boosts.

This team is an attempt at returning to my 'roots' of Pokemon, in picking a Pokemon I like and trying to use it to the best of its ability. I don't care about ladder rating and I try to not be bothered by hax. Gen 7 has really blurred the line between having skill and using someone else's team to win, but the most fun I have is when I make my own team and make it work.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 128 Def / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 140 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Defog

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Focus Blast

Keldeo-Resolute @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

very nice use of synergy with some great variety, although I would recommend icy wind on keldeo to replace on of your fighting moves ( no need for both imho ) also i'd prob swap shadow claw on mimkyu for bulk up/leech life or something

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Metal Sonic's School of SunMoon Battling (Rating Sector)

Who am I?

I am a veteran Battling 101 Tutor who wants to help newcomers feel more acquainted with Smogon and more confident about their battling skills. Having personally experienced the joy and inspiration of being guided by an experienced member when I was a newbie in another forum, I wish to extend the same helping hand to the newcomers of Smogon, who may be struggling to learn how to battle proficiently. As tutoring slots for Battling 101 are limited and only available to a lucky few, a majority of newcomers lack the help and support they need to break through the glass ceiling and learning curve of competitive Pokemon battling. My vision is to extend my knowledge and expertise to a larger number of newcomers, in order to inspire a future generation of potential contributors to Smogon.

Team being rated: Rhype for the picking by Eraxxer
Tier: SM OU
Peak: N/A
Team Archetype: Offensive / Defensive

Summary:
What is the goal of the team?
  • Mimikyu cleans late-game once threats have been eliminated
  • CM Keldeo functions as a potent wallbreaker against slower teams
How do the teammates support this goal?
  • Rhyperior and Tangrowth forms a solid defensive core to tank powerful physical and special hits respectively
  • Rhyperior functions as Stealth Rock support to provide extra damage
  • Mew functions as Defog support to remove hazards on the user's team

Personal Rate:

About Team Effectiveness
5/10
I don't see much team synergy here, all I can see are your favourite pokemon being thrown together. Although there is type synergy being considered with the defensive core, this isn't enough: You need to consider what opponents check/counter your winconditions (Keldeo and Mimikyu) then build around them. For example, whenever someone uses Keldeo, they must have several preparations for the Lati twins, Charizard X/Y, et cetera. Same goes for Mimikyu: give it opportunities to sweep, and KO all physically bulky opponents such as Landorus-T, Heatran, etc. You have few of those. The team isn't focused around the win condition, but is rather haphazardly created without the end goal in mind. This is evident on how you focused the team around Rhyperior, instead of your win conditions.

Offensive Potential
6/10
Fortunately, your offensive core is rather potent. Because of the presence of hard-hitting setup sweepers and wallbreakers, few teams can take repeated punishment from your teammembers. Charizard-Y functions especially well, taking down everything specially squishy, especially the common Steel-, and Grass- + Water types that give Mimikyu and Keldeo problems respectively.

However, one hole that you forgot to cover are Dragon-types, which take attacks from Charizard-Y and Keldeo easily. The main culprits that come to mind are the Lati twins, which Mimikyu can check but cannot switch in safely. The Lati twins can double-tap Tangrowth with Psyshock, and take down Rhyperior easily with their special attacks.

Mega Charizard X and Garchomp, to a lesser extent, gives the team problems as well. True, Rhyperior can wall them, but to what extent? A Will-O-Wisp from a bulky Roost Zard X is unappreciated, as well as STAB Earthquake from +2 SD Garchomp.

On other notes, Toxapex is quite problematic for your team; Rhyperior is the only Pokemon that can OHKO it on your team, but it does not appreciate a Scald, or its 30% Burn chance.

Fortunately, with the right plays, your team can overcome these offensive weaknesses, but these imperfections can give you great difficulty in winning at the higher tiers of battling.

Defensive Potential
4/10
As elaborated earlier, the counters to your team are able to resist high powered attacks, and even dish back painful damage that your team, unfortunately, is unable to wall. As you have correctly identified, opposing Charizard Y and Volcarona give major problems to your team. Yet, you have neglected many other threats such as Latios, Latias, Garchomp, Mega Charizard X, and some instances of Gengar and Greninja.

Charizard Y is particularly problematic, as I cannot imagine your dedicated special wall, Tangrowth, enjoying sun-boosted Fire attacks, while the other Fire-checks are roasted by Solarbeam. This is a hole that needs to be fixed.

Other threats that can KO 5/6 of your team include: Tapu Bulu (once Charizard is dead), Mega Venusaur (same; Charizard), Amoonguss (Charizard; Mew doesn't have Taunt, prepare to go to sleep), Tapu Koko (after Rhyperior is weakened).

It's fortunate that your team does answer to the most common threats well, such as Zygarde. However, that is insufficient to make your team a top-tier team, it still needs to have answers to other common threats!

About the RMT
7/10
I personally like the author's style of writing, as well as his color-coding of the typing of the Pokemon and moves, which adds vibrancy to the RMT. This was an enjoyable RMT to rate.

However, I strongly dislike the complaints about "hax" and the idea that there is a "lack of skill" in the game. Definitely, some moves miss, and there may be some variance in games, but the goal of Pokemon battling is to maximize your chances of winning. Sometimes it can be 100% if your team is solid enough and you play perfectly. Sometimes it can be 90%, if your final ending move has a 90% chance of hitting. It can be 93.5%, if the only way your opponent wins is by scoring a critical hit on you; you win otherwise. This is a negative attitude that some others may share, which I hope to change through education and the raising of awareness.

Suggestions:

• ->
    Mew is too passive for your team, and does not accomplish much. It is huge set up fodder for opposing threats like Fire-types: Charizard, Volcarona, Heatran, who don't care about Will-O-Wisp, as well as special attackers in general. Changing your Defogger to Scarfed Latios solves many of these problems, and also alleviates the Dragon issue by offensively checking them. Running Surf or Trick on Latios can help cripple Heatrans who try to be cheeky.
  • If you're going to use Roost on Charizard Y, I suggest a more bulky spread, putting some EVs into HP. Besides, you're using Flamethrower anyway. If you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)