Riolu Priority Phazing

At a glance

Strategy
Riolu has access to Roar, Copycat, and the ability Prankster. After I use Roar, I can spam Copycat, which uses the last move used (Roar) and gets +1 priority from Prankster, allowing me to endlessly phaze through opponents who don't have priority and rack up insane hazards damage. This is really gimmicky but can be really effective if pulled off well. I could actually use this strategy in any tier, including LC, but I felt it would do well in NU. This team has been working pretty well for me, but of course it struggles if any of the required portions of set-up are shut down, since I need to dedicate a few spots for support.

Riolu @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Copycat
- Roar
- Drain Punch
- Crunch

In NU, I don't have to outspeed any other opposing priority users (as far as I'm aware after a little research, could be wrong of course), so I need all investment in bulk in order to survive and get off that first Roar. Max physical defense because opposing priority is what stops Riolu, and all (I've never seen anyone use Vacuum Wave) priority is physical. Drain Punch is actually good against Linoone and just in general to get recovery, and Crunch is kind of there for awkward coverage, although I never really use it. I'm not sure whether Crunch or Substitute is better, or even Bullet Punch (probably not since not STAB and so little Attack). Either way, I never really use that fourth move. I actually think Leftovers is more useful than Eviolite. The most powerful priority, Toxic Boost Zangoose's Quick Attack, does roughly 15% more to Riolu if it isn't holding Eviolite (~30% to ~45%). So, that extra damage can pretty much be healed off with two turns of Leftovers, and I have a lot of time to get tons of Leftovers recovery.

Gardevoir @ Light Clay
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt

This is how I help ensure my Riolu survives to get off a Roar. After screens and Memento, the opponent is essentially at 25% power and pretty much unable to take out Riolu. A fast Taunt ensures that I don't get Taunted myself or the opponent doesn't pull off anything sneaky in general. I have used this Gardevoir set to great success on other teams and I love it.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split
- Rock Blast

Riolu absolutely requires entry hazards, and I also needed a way to get rid of Toxic Spikes which shut down Riolu. Garbodor's bulk allows it to set up multiple layers often, plus it absorbs Toxic Spikes when switching in. In addition to those two things, there is a ridiculous amount of passive damage that Garbodor can inflict.

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 176 HP / 168 Atk / 164 Spd
Adamant Nature
- DynamicPunch
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake

Just Spikes isn't good enough because Levitators and Flying-types will never take damage, so Stealth Rock is a must. I also need a spinblocker, because of course, if the hazards are spun away, this team falls. DynamicPunch is chosen because confusion helps my other utility Pokes do their jobs more easily. Iron Fist and Ice Punch may be better for me though. I probably need opinions and further testing on that one.

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Punishment

Once Riolu has done its job, the opponents will likely all be pretty weakened or KOd. I don't need a whole team full of utility, and I do need something that can just clean up the mess Riolu made afterwards. One great answer is a good Choice Scarfer. Primeape is a perfect Poke for picking off weakened opponents, revenge killing, and general scouting. The standard set is used because it offers the best power and coverage along with the coveted U-turn.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Looking at the rest of the team, the last spot desperately needed to be filled with a special-attacking cleaner/breaker with elemental coverage, since the rest of the team is not really diverse. Ludicolo fills in the gaps nicely because the rest of the team doesn't have any Water, Grass, or Ice attacks. Also, Gardevoir can support Ludicolo. Even with just screens and no Memento, Ludicolo is almost guaranteed to set up the Rain safely and then begin cleaning. I chose Surf over Hydro Pump for solid, reliable damage. If all goes well, the opponents will be weakened to the point where a Modest, max SpA, Life Orb, Rain-boosted, STAB Surf will KO anyway.

Threat List

tbd

Edit: Now I have 3 weak to Flying and 3 weak to Psychic...lol. It's better though.

You need a poison type on your side of the field as well as a special wall.
If you run Scolipede, you miss SR which is quite crucial for Riolu phazing as Scolipede would obviously take Pineco's spot.

I suggest Specially Defensive Probopass in Kadabra's spot, but note that Probo has a pair of prominent weakesses. It can at least set SR so you have a second hazard setter in case your first fails.

Also, Zero ATK IV's on Misdreavus and the likes is not a bad idea. They don't use their Atk stat anyway.

So, in a nutshell:
Pineco: Replace with standard Spike-setting Scolipede.
Kadabra: Replace with standard Utility Probopass.
0 Atk IV's on all Pokémon without physical attacks.

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Trait: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Probopass @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch

You could opt for Earth Power instead of Power Gem if you want more coverage, but STAB can come in really handy at times.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Make Riolu physically defensive, this is essential for Riolu to tank more priority to continue phazing, and Riolu's resistances (Rock, Dark, Bug) are geared towards its physical defense anyway.

Can't rate too much for now, so that's as much as I can give. I'm not too sure with having two suicide pokemon in a Riolu team, so definitely replace Pineco with Scolipede. You could even opt for Annoyer's bulky spread:

Scolipede (M) @ Leftovers/Black Sludge
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 104 Def / 120 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Megahorn
- Toxic Spikes / Protect
- Aqua Tail

What makes Scolipede so awesome is that he can be customized very easily to your desire. You could replace any of the latter two moves on the set if they do not suit your fancy.

Yeah, I had Pineco because I wanted Stealth Rock since if I only had Spikes some of my opponents wouldn't take any damage, but Scolipede and Probopass seem good. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see how it works out.

If you want to use pineco, use Pain Split! It helps weaken an opponent by draining them down really low. You can spam it until they're about 15% HP, which is awesome for a little level 1 poke.

Punchshroom

The thing is he's not using a level 1 Pineco, who would otherwise have no business spinning

Run protect over crunch on riolu. This allows you to avoid fake out from kangaskhan, and in a pinch protect against stuff like a primeapes close combat and strike back with a priority one on the next turn. Eviolite is better than leftovers imo because unlike the former it helps you get off the one move that matters most: the initial roar.

You can use rocky helmet physically defensive garbodor over scolipede (eh if you want just copy the set in my rmt) as it does a really good job against kangaskhan (between rocky helemt, life orb, aftermath, spikes and double edge recoil it will just kill itself)

Punchshroom

Protect, Substitute or Toxic are all options to use over Crunch (or even Drain Punch as well if you want). Natu is pretty non-existant anyway and better handled by teammates. Eviolite is very crucial for Riolu's success, but since you have Gardevoir to weaken that first initial hit for you I suppose(?) Leftovers could work.

The flying weakness can be resolved with an alternative SR user such as Golem or Carracosta. This would clash a bit with Golurk however, and limits you to Misdreavus or other spinblockers if you dislike easily exploitable defensive synergy. This would cut down your team's offensive momentum however, but if you can afford that it would patch up your Flying-type and likely Kangaskhan weakness as well.

...Protect? I am such a gigantic bag of failure for not thinking of that; it's so obvious.

I actually think Riolu could be fine without Eviolite because of my own Gardevoir and the ridiculous support it provides.

-2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Gardevoir Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Riolu through Light Screen: 237-280 (83.45 - 98.59%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

After my Gardevoir has done its job basically nothing can OHKO Riolu, as that calc is pretty much the most extreme case, Modest Choice Specs Gardevoir hitting on my pretty much no investment Special Defense with a STAB, super effective attack. I know that the same Gardevoir does about 60% if Riolu had Eviolite, but I'd be stuck at 40% forever and would keep falling to priority. Especially with Protect, I can get more Leftovers. But of course, I'll have to see which works better.

I think I'll try that Garbodor, thanks. There are certainly many good Stealth Rock users who resist Flying, but I think I'd have a hard time replacing someone for Misdreavous or something. It could work if I have my hazard setting have both Stealth Rock and Spikes, but I can't think of any good Pokes with both of them (already tried Pineco lol).

Thanks guys! Appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)