RMT, Alpha-Beta team, really needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yeah, my first attempt at a team.

Gengar: Is pretty much there for dragons, and hopefully Ice Punch with max EV's takes them off guard.
Aero: Just pretty much a standard CB sweeper.
Toge: Para-Flinch annoyer.
Ryperior Is half Physical wall/ Half Sweeper
Ele: Is a Physical sweeper.
Umbreon: Annoyer.
Need advice, any is welcome!

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The layout isn't really inviting, and it really does make the whole team look a mess. It's best if you start using the recommended layout for the future, and a much easier read.

Pokemon @ Item
Ability:
EVs:
Nature:
- move
- move
- move
- move

There are a few reasons for this, but the main one is because it's an option in Shoddy to export your team into a written lot of text as shown above. All you have to do is: File > Export To Text > Then copy the text and paste.

Right, let's get onto the team. From a glance, it's evidently clear you aren't trying to stall, or use a team that counters the majority of threats out there. There's some unique Pokemon in here, but it's relatively just an offensive team with an Umbreon in to annoy opposing Pokemon.

I'm not going to advise the use of Gliscor, Bronzong or any other Pokemon that will bring stability and utilize the team as a whole, but I'll simply add more offense and add in Stealth Rock to ever increase the chance of sweeping your opponent into oblivion.

Aerodactyl - Ok, we'll keep him on the team. Let's change the Choice Band set to Life Orb whilst adding in Stealth Rock as he does lead the team. If you don't follow such a route, we'll just change the moveset and let something more useful lead. Give it Stealth Rock, Stone-Edge, Ice Fang and Earthquake. Jolly with max Speed and Attack, or just enough speed for 385 so you outspeed Weavile and co.

Umbreon, Togekiss and Rhyperior are to be replaced. Here's what I would advise:

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 16 HP/252 Atk/240 Spd
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch

Some of the most offensive Pokemon in todays metagame. With Stealth Rock, these offensive spreads, EVs and items will give you the fire-power needed to tear your opponents' team apart.

Finally, your Gengar could use the following:

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

With these new changes, it will require you to play a little differently - You must take note on your opposing Pokemon, knowing when and when not to sweep. If you're in a tight situation, please let the Pokemon die if it's done its ob, or it has become dead-weight in your team.

It's rather quickly rated, but it should be for the better.

The layout isn't really inviting, and it really does make the whole team look a mess. It's best if you start using the recommended layout for the future, and a much easier read.

Pokemon @ Item
Ability:
EVs:
Nature:
- move
- move
- move
- move

There are a few reasons for this, but the main one is because it's an option in Shoddy to export your team into a written lot of text as shown above. All you have to do is: File > Export To Text > Then copy the text and paste.

Right, let's get onto the team. From a glance, it's evidently clear you aren't trying to stall, or use a team that counters the majority of threats out there. There's some unique Pokemon in here, but it's relatively just an offensive team with an Umbreon in to annoy opposing Pokemon.

I'm not going to advise the use of Gliscor, Bronzong or any other Pokemon that will bring stability and utilize the team as a whole, but I'll simply add more offense and add in Stealth Rock to ever increase the chance of sweeping your opponent into oblivion.

Aerodactyl - Ok, we'll keep him on the team. Let's change the Choice Band set to Life Orb whilst adding in Stealth Rock as he does lead the team. If you don't follow such a route, we'll just change the moveset and let something more useful lead. Give it Stealth Rock, Stone-Edge, Ice Fang and Earthquake. Jolly with max Speed and Attack, or just enough speed for 385 so you outspeed Weavile and co.

Umbreon, Togekiss and Rhyperior are to be replaced. Here's what I would advise:

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 16 HP/252 Atk/240 Spd
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch

Some of the most offensive Pokemon in todays metagame. With Stealth Rock, these offensive spreads, EVs and items will give you the fire-power needed to tear your opponents' team apart.

Finally, your Gengar could use the following:

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

With these new changes, it will require you to play a little differently - You must take note on your opposing Pokemon, knowing when and when not to sweep. If you're in a tight situation, please let the Pokemon die if it's done its ob, or it has become dead-weight in your team.

It's rather quickly rated, but it should be for the better.
Thanks for all of the advice, this is actually my first attempt at Diamond and Pearl, as I just came over from NetBattle, and I tried to make a team based off my common knowledge of Diamond, and do you have some general playing tips that differ it from NetBattle?

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well...I think it's best if you scanned more of Stark Mountain first.

If you haven't, then download Shoddy Battle at http://shoddybattle.com/downloads?PHPSESSID=63d7e0cda7fe4c72c71968df12e9c1a6

When posting the team, rules indicate that you talk about the Pokemon underneath; why the pokemon is on your team, what it does for the team and a little information about the set. As well as a threat list to show if you have something covered / countered or not.

What do you mean by differ from NetBattle? The generation has changed, and with that so has the metagame. We'd be here for a long time. Instead, follow my instructions above and you should gather all the info you need to develop your knowledge, team building and skills further. You can always apply for being an apprentice here at Smogon. Please check http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42 and read the threads that will help you understand.

I like the format, just give a description of each pokemon.

Just a quick look, but why did you max Gengar's attack when it doesn't use physical attacks? You could turn Electrivire into a mixed one, since most of your team is walled by Skarm,Bronze,blargh,blargh,any self-respecting wall.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I also really like the format, actually. It makes for a quick and easy comparison of the Pokémon on the team. All you need to add are each Pokémon's ability and a short description.

Also, I'll throw in with a bit of a dissenting voice. Taylor's recommending a lot of standard Pokémon with standard sets. While they're standard because they're good, they're also very predictable. If you're using this team on Shoddy, don't be afraid to branch out a little and try some of the sets on your original team. A few surprises can go a long way as long as they're practical.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yeah, you're required to write a few sentences about the purposes of each Pokemon. If you're not sure where to start, just take a look at another RMT.
I'll leave this open for a bit since there's some good advice here, but please add some commentary or I'll have to lock it. Rules are rules.

Based on what I can see, you're not familiar with one of the most emphasised changes from RSE to DP. Ice moves are EVERYWHERE and unfortunately you have 3 weaks and no resists.

Taylor

i am alien
I'm not really supposed to say that what you wrote isn't enough, but Lee is expecting a little more at this level.

However, please take my advice into consideration.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Yeah, Taylor's right. For example, we want to know why Gengar is using Ice Punch over HP Ice. Indeed, why isn't he using Shadow Ball? Just information like that that allows us to understand your thought process and make the best reccomendations.

The actual rule is this:

3. Have some actual words in your post beyond your six Pokemon and their moves. Not following this makes your post quite boring to read and rate. All Pokemon should have a good reason for being in your team anyway, so why not post that reason? If you're having trouble with this one, start by give an explanation for each team member. Why are they there? What role do they serve? How do you get them in? Then, give an explanation of how you would open with the team and how you would go about using it. All of these things help people rate your team and allow us to offer more helpful advice.

This does not mean add one sentence saying "Standard x" or "all-around awesome" after each Pokemon. If you put thought into making the team, you can put thought into posting it.
I've just locked a thread for skipping on that rule, so I'm being pretty leniant here. Here's an example from my own RMT, regarding Gallade:

Easily the most effective Choice Bander I've used. This slot has formerly been Hitmonlee and Heracross, but this guy's perfect. Pretty standard, with the exception of X-Scissor over Night Slash. I prefer X-Scissor as it easily KO's Celebi as well as potentially 2HKOing Cresselia and Slowbro, which Night Slash will never do without a crit. The speed allows him to outrun Jolly Tyranitar and Adamant Breloom. He has no fear of the common Gliscor either which is a huge bonus. Unlike Heracross, he doesn't scream "IM A CHOICE BANDER!" which has came to my aid on many occasions.

Not neccesarily that long, but certainly a little more than what you've done.

I actually liked the picture so when I scrolled down this post and saw all this text, it was kind of disappointing.

Anyhoooooo

What I'd replace first of all is Umbreon. You have all these sweeper-esque Pokes, but that shit won't be too happy when it's running into random Focus Sashers. What I'd like here is a Skarmory. Sets up your Spikes, gives you some phsyical protection, shuffles shit around, makes sure BP'ers don't get off random easy 1 stat passes.

Now, it's pretty well documented you're horrible weak at taking special attacks. Sorry to go with the boring but...you know what to replace Togekiss with....you so know...we all...know

Lee

@ Thick Club
Okay, he's gone offline so obviously isn't improving his commentary anytime soon. Thread locked.

Feel free to repost it once you have something to write about each Pokemon because "Umbreon: Annoyer" just doesn't cut it at Smogon, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)